What's new

India cancels plans to buy 48 Mi-17 V5 helicopters from Russia

Indians hype up their diplomacy saying they can tow the line between Russia and USA and that they are indepedent.
The fact is India is much more compromised and under influence of USA than Pakistan ever be. They are just word warriors. Their actions speak a different story.
1) They cancel order of MIG-29 from Russia
2) They cancel order of helicopters.
Atleast Pakistan on some level is still resisting complete USA subjugation.

It was reported that Indian Airforce also suggested to MOD that India should consider indigenous route for avionics upgrade of SU 30 MKI. This is because of the sanctions crippling the electronics supply chain that Russia depends on. The only alternative for Russia now is Chinese electronics for critical components. This is not good for India.

I expect that the helicopter decision may also be related to this. But as far as I know, India may still have to depend on Russia for engines. This is especially the case SU 30 upgrades 🤔

It was reported that Indian Airforce also suggested to MOD that India should consider indigenous route for avionics upgrade of SU 30 MKI. This is because of the sanctions crippling the electronics supply chain that Russia depends on. The only alternative for Russia now is Chinese electronics for critical components. This is not good for India.

I expect that the helicopter decision may also be related to this. But as far as I know, India may still have to depend on Russia for engines. This is especially the case SU 30 upgrades 🤔

Indian air force is compromised, it's fallen to the back of the line for Raphael's and won't get any more quickly

The Russian supply lines are compromised

Tejas is a lemon

And now they are looking at multiple expensive American options

India can easily ask for America anything and they will provide just to undermine Russian stuff, but I wonder if India will actually go for it.

India can easily ask for America anything and they will provide just to undermine Russian stuff, but I wonder if India will actually go for it.

The problem with American stuff, although top quality, is that you get Damocles' Sword as a free add-on. You never know when the US administration will wake up on the wrong side of the bed and impose sanctions on you.

The problem with American stuff, although top quality, is that you get Damocles' Sword as a free add-on. You never know when the US administration will wake up on the wrong side of the bed and impose sanctions on you.
A single member of the Congress can initiate to undo all the stuffs!!! It's such a quagmire....

The Indians are clever folks. They know it...

Indian proclamation of making Mi-17 type helis locally is novel to me.

I don't know what platform is planned and how development could be ramped up quickly to meet requirements.

Bangladesh Air "Farce" alone has 35 Mil Mi-171sh types, as well as the army (some with rocket pods and heavy machine guns fitted), there are more unknown numbers stored for parts and also operated in UN duties roles in Africa. Bangladesh army operates a half dozen. It is a staple of armies and air-forces all around the world in the heavy lift category, and as reliable as an anvil, unless you carelessly drive it against a mountain side.

Mountain 1, Heli 0.

Most people don't know that the Mi-171 successor is already being tested in Moscow by Kazan Helicopters (Mi-38-2), simultaneously while the Mi-171s at Ulan Ude are being upgraded with glass cockpits and newer more efficient engines. Both will remain in service and be sold liberally, regardless of futile Western Schemes to stop sales. China alone will buy them by the hundreds (Ulan Ude plant is very close to Mongolian border). The Mi-171 at its price range has few equals in the Western Heavy lift heli offerings.

Mil Mi-38-2 images below (glad they kept the familiar planform). Incremental improvements are better than disruptive ones in this case. Familiar Klimov engines as well.

I hope our Air "Farce" orders these Mi-38's for utility tasks rather than Mi-171's next time.

iu

1024px-Mil_Mi-38-2_%2838013%29_at_Moscow_Zhukovsky.jpg

iu

Bangladesh army Mi-171SH with gun and rocket pods
Hips_Dont_lie_Bangladesh_Air_Force_Mi-171sh_%2823160920143%29_%28cropped%29_%28cropped%29.jpg

This action by India on behalf of America got to be the biggest concern to power influence of diverting India-Russia camp.

I thought regime change was bad enough in Pakistan, India is not that far away either.

Although I am against Indian military acquisition of more firepower concerning Pakistan India.

So American sanctions indirectly crippling Indian defense supply chain??

India used to buy cheaper but effective Russian equipment. But how will India now afford American defence products which are often triple the cost??

Indians hype up their diplomacy saying they can tow the line between Russia and USA and that they are indepedent.
The fact is India is much more compromised and under influence of USA than Pakistan ever be. They are just word warriors. Their actions speak a different story.
I would argue this is more an indicator of Indian sovereignty than capitulating to the US. Public opinion on Russian-Ukraine in India is divided.

Even if without any merit, there is a growing sense that over-reliance on Russian hardware in the context of their performance, western sanctions and in the face of a looming supply chain crisis — isn’t going to be a smooth ride going forward.

Easiest course of action is to scale up acquisition of proven US (or “western”) systems — which once again, isn’t a feasible option for India. So now the thinking is to rethink “make in India” in a much grander scale than South Block and Shastri Bhavan ever dreamed of. This is probably the right way forward. And I can already see that no one intends on half assing this anymore like they used to.

There will be more ToTs, there will be more PPPs and there will more JVs hosted in India. We have the foundations in place, institutions to govern them and the experience negotiating like the scummiest business professionals you’ve ever met. I think it’s absolutely brilliant we’re forced into this decision. Timing is perfect too — we don’t have to scramble to set up new initiatives or SPVs to do this. There are already existing mechanisms to scale the agenda.

It’s no secret that Indian hawks love taking a dump on any prospects that require working with Russian counterparts — especially when no one’s listening.

We don't feel the need to play games. We are not the country about whom it was said that it is ruled by the three 'A's. We were the people who went through long periods of embargo and still built a flourishing defence industry through that.

Considering that regime change in one country takes place on the basis of a letter from the US, and considering that our rascal of a Prime Minister has himself been personally banned from travel to the US but has remained in his position, the matter should be evident to anyone not working out his Oedipal impulses.

LOL.

You should read the post immediately above yours, and drink in the tear-sodden pathos that imbues it.

I have been wondering to myself recently - do these fanboys ever grow up?

On the point you have made, there is an underlying theme of designing and making everything ourselves. It causes loud laughter among fan-boys, but steadily our infrastructure has built up, and can go a long way without outside intervention.

Indian air force is compromised, it's fallen to the back of the line for Raphael's and won't get any more quickly

The Russian supply lines are compromised

Tejas is a lemon

And now they are looking at multiple expensive American options
Like Pakistan they will then be under total American control. Our f16s are a pain. Can't upgrade them ourselves and can't get upgrades. What the point ??

Indian proclamation of making Mi-17 type helis locally is novel to me.

I don't know what platform is planned and how development could be ramped up quickly to meet requirements.

Bangladesh Air "Farce" alone has 35 Mil Mi-171sh types, as well as the army (some with rocket pods and heavy machine guns fitted), there are more unknown numbers stored for parts and also operated in UN duties roles in Africa. Bangladesh army operates a half dozen. It is a staple of armies and air-forces all around the world in the heavy lift category, and as reliable as an anvil, unless you carelessly drive it against a mountain side.

Mountain 1, Heli 0.

Most people don't know that the Mi-171 successor is already being tested in Moscow by Kazan Helicopters (Mi-38-2), simultaneously while the Mi-171s at Ulan Ude are being upgraded with glass cockpits and newer more efficient engines. Both will remain in service and be sold liberally, regardless of futile Western Schemes to stop sales. China alone will buy them by the hundreds (Ulan Ude plant is very close to Mongolian border). The Mi-171 at its price range has few equals in the Western Heavy lift heli offerings.

Mil Mi-38-2 images below (glad they kept the familiar planform). Incremental improvements are better than disruptive ones in this case. Familiar Klimov engines as well.

I hope our Air "Farce" orders these Mi-38's for utility tasks rather than Mi-171's next time.

iu

1024px-Mil_Mi-38-2_%2838013%29_at_Moscow_Zhukovsky.jpg

iu

Bangladesh army Mi-171SH with gun and rocket pods
Hips_Dont_lie_Bangladesh_Air_Force_Mi-171sh_%2823160920143%29_%28cropped%29_%28cropped%29.jpg
Why risk CAATSA. Better to go for the new Chinese AC-313A, if you want a non-western helicopter, which is in the same class as the Russian Mi-38, with all Chinese components, it will be free from sanctions for the foreseeable future, considering the threat of potential sanctions in the future due to the RAB issue.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom