What's new

India can make world’s cheapest N-reactors

SajeevJino

Reaction score
Country
India
MUMBAI:

Now, India can build cheaper nuclear reactors, than even South Korea. Talking to TOI on the eve of his retirement, Dr Srikumar Banerjee, secretary in the Department of Atomic Energy (DAE), said India can now manufacture nuclear reactors at $1,700 per unit. Come May, Banerjee will make way for Ratan Sinha, currently director of Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC), who will take over as secretary, DAE.

"We are now the world's most economical manufacturer of nuclear reactors. Our cost per unit, of $1,700 (for a 700mw reactor) is substantially less than our nearest competitors. The average international cost is now between $2,500 and $3,000 (for a 1,000mw reactor). South Korea demonstrated its ability to build nuclear reactors for less when it wrested a massive reactor deal for the UAE from French giant, Areva, a couple of years ago.

With the protests in Kudankulam piping down, Banerjee said DAE was waiting for a couple of clearances from the Atomic Energy Regulatory Board (AERB) to start Kudankulam-1.

The AERB will have to conduct a robotic inspection of the pressure vessel in the Kudankulam plant. This is done after what they call the "hot run", which is a kind of a rehearsal but without nuclear fuel. "After this, they open the cap of the pressure vessel to do a robotic inspection. Only after clearing this inspection are we allowed to put in nuclear fuel," said Banerjee.

The DAE chief said he was looking at Kudankulam going "critical" by mid-June. "The approach to criticality should happen around that time," he said. "That will be exciting." Six months down the line, Banerjee said the DAE hopes to commission the second Kudankulam plant as well.

Indian companies manufacturing components and systems for nuclear reactors, Banerjee said, can now do the same work for much less cost. For instance, he said, L&T, which supplies many critical components for the Indian nuclear and defence sectors, can make the large reactor vessel in their new Hazira plant. This is something of an achievement because it's traditionally been the preserve of Japanese engineering expertise.

Banerjee was clear that the despite Fukushima, countries like India will have a high demand for nuclear energy. "In the months after Fukushima, we have received expressions of interest from Haryana, Rajasthan and Madhya Pradesh to set up nuclear power plants. We will do all of them," asserted a confident DAE chief.

Article Window

Ok the whole Fukushima accident was blown way out of proportion. Not all nuclear reactors are the same, and not all face the same threat. India need power and self reliance in the energy sector. Coal is not gonna last forever, plus the high cost. Nuclear plants are the only viable options with renewable energy like Solar power and wind energy. India should start to implement these things fast, and maybe provide the assistance to friendly countries and neighbors that need it. And I am dead serious when I say neighbors, countries like Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Nepal, Bhutan and any other nation that can help in development. Because a strong neighborhood will only increase our own economic development.

I wonder if the Indian insurance industry will offer insurance, at affordable rates, against any losses due to the functioning of these reactors? How will buyers know about the long term safety of these designs when an operating track record has not yet been established?

I wonder if the Indian insurance industry will offer insurance, at affordable rates, against any losses due to the functioning of these reactors? How will buyers know about the long term safety of these designs when an operating track record has not yet been established?

The safety record are still much better than other nations, India follows strict international standards. Plus there regular tests to insure the safety of the power plant.

The safety record are still much better than other nations, India follows strict international standards. Plus there regular tests to insure the safety of the power plant.

How many Indian-designed reactors are operating? How many "reactor years" have Indian-designed reactors been in service?

How many Indian-designed reactors are operating? How many "reactor years" have Indian-designed reactors been in service?
India currently has nuclear reactors of its own design, it is just now that foreign nations have gotten the approval to actually build the plants, and even that is faced with stiff opposition in India. Otherwise there have been no accidents in India related to nuclear energy.

India has 20 or so reactors with 20 more planned, and 4 under construction. ( old data)

Currently the DAE which builds and the users (read states) are all government bodies only. As far as i know there are no private bodies who are allowed to order or build or operate nuclear plants. Since these plants are for power generation the government will take all necessary safety measures as not only will it result in material and monetary, human and ecological loss but also the government in power along with the government bodies involved will loose confidence of the nation in them.

india currently has 30 reactors counting research as well at power generation. and another 10 are under cons. all the phwr are indian designed and built and i guess we never had any problems with them.

apart from that new ahwr and pfbr are under cons which are 2 unique reactors of india.

India currently has nuclear reactors of its own design, it is just now that foreign nations have gotten the approval to actually build the plants, and even that is faced with stiff opposition in India. Otherwise there have been no accidents in India related to nuclear energy.

But you didn't answer my questions. I was just trying to get some feel for how much experience there has been with the "cheap" reactor designs. You have to admit that a reactor is not cheap if, later, a few years after coming online, it has an "event" causing the loss of $Billions in liability payouts .....

india currently has 30 reactors counting research as well at power generation. and another 10 are under cons. all the phwr are indian designed and built and i guess we never had any problems with them.

apart from that new ahwr and pfbr are under cons which are 2 unique reactors of india.

Thanks for the info. There has never been a reactor incident in India? (i.e. a cooling loss or radiation release?)

But you didn't answer my questions. I was just trying to get some feel for how much experience there has been with the "cheap" reactor designs. You have to admit that a reactor is not cheap if, later, a few years after coming online, it has an "event" causing the loss of $Billions in liability payouts .....

Thanks for the info. There has never been a reactor incident in India? (i.e. a cooling loss or radiation release?)
i have never heard any major accidents causing loss if life.

Regarding the incidents, here is a link to the list of nuclear incidents around the world (incl India) from 1992.

Calendar of Nuclear Accidents and Events « Paul Langley's Nuclear History Blog

i have never heard any major accidents causing loss if life.

Loss of life is not the criteria. The only reactor incidents causing loss of life that I remember were Chernobyl and the tsunami caused reactor problems in japan. Our "Three Mile Island" incident caused no loss of life, or even injury. But it did cause huge economic losses to the USA nuclear power industry as it introduced a huge element of fear into the US population.

Regarding the incidents, here is a link to the list of nuclear incidents around the world (incl India) from 1992.

Thanks, very interesting. My "thanks" button is not on for me to thank your post.

Back
Top Bottom