What's new

India bringing Maldives into its security net

India sending Dornier aircraft to Maldives for surveillance mission

NEW DELHI: As part of the overall strategy to prevent China from further spreading its influence in the Indian Ocean Region (IOR), India is sending
a Dornier aircraft to Maldives to help the country in maritime surveillance.

Defence ministry sources said an Indian Navy Dornier would begin its maritime reconnaissance missions from Male over the weekend. This comes in the backdrop of defence minister A K Antony's recent visit to Maldives, where he promised measures to bolster defence cooperation with Maldives.

Under the new plan, India will apparently help Maldives set up a network of ground radars in all its 26 atolls and link them with the Indian military surveillance systems.

Moreover, amid fears in Male that one of its island resorts could be taken over by terrorists, India will also provide Maldives with a couple of helicopters, as also help patrol its territorial waters with both warships and reconnaissance aircraft.

India has taken several steps to build bridges with IOR nations, which range from joint patrols with Indonesian and Sri Lankan navies and exercises with Singapore and Oman to providing seaward security for international summits in Mozambique.

Maldives, in particular, constitutes an important part of this strategy since China is making persistent moves in the region as part of its military diplomacy.

India, on its part, has always been willing to help Maldives in times of crisis. Indian paratroopers and naval warships, for instance, were rushed to Maldives in November 1988 by the Rajiv Gandhi government under Operation Cactus to thwart the coup attempt against the Abdul Gayoom government.

Similarly, India had deployed two ships and four aircraft to Maldives after the killer tsunami struck in end-2004. "In April 2006, India gifted a fast attack craft INS Tillanchang to Maldives as a goodwill gesture. Apart from training, hydrographic and military assistance, our ships visit the country regularly,'' said an officer.
India sending Dornier aircraft to Maldives for surveillance mission - India - The Times of India

Hopefully it wont have to come to that.
If the Maldives sink that the majority of the worlds greatest cities will follow suit, being all located near the cost. Including my home city.

Hopefully if we can halt global warming in the coming decade, we can find a way to to fix the damage already done.

it's sad...but it will happen eventually...I read that the arctic is gonna have an ice free sumer...people are feeling happy that it will open up for fishing...stupid humans..
p.s:-i know you must have seen the matrix a zillion times...watch the scene when Smith tries to interrogate morpheus...and sedates him...smith's speech on humans being analogous to virus...is what comes to my mind.

India, on its part, has always been willing to help Maldives in times of crisis. Indian paratroopers and naval warships, for instance, were rushed to Maldives in November 1988 by the Rajiv Gandhi government under Operation Cactus to thwart the coup attempt against the Abdul Gayoom government.
this is the past help that i was talking about.

We are all in the same boat you idiots. Stop this nonsense and think of working together for the betterment of our people. Let bygones be bygones.
This is to all my Indian and Pakistani brothers and sisters.

Where is screaming scull....??
One of the best posters i have seen...

japan and russia can still be regarded as "swing states" imo

nothing to swing here,Russia is not at all going against India,we were the best partners we got after independence,if somebody think Russians turning against India due to their improved relation with China,it is only a wet dream,also Japan switching alliance is nothing more than a big nonsense

You know what's the funniest thing about this thread or rather the entire forum? It is simply AMAZING to see how a bilateral pact between us and Maldives reaches to China and Pakistan and then inside Pakistan in Balochistan and then to Afghanistan and then to the world being divided between certain and certain countries.

PEOPLE! It was Maldives' wish to align for security with us! What's wrong?! Pakistan sticks to China applying liberal amounts of super glue; no one goes beyond commenting what'd be between just the two countries.

I wonder how our support to Maldives' security becomes a threat to Sri Lankans or Chinese or Pakistanis?

And a note: Indian Ocean is Indian. That's the whole point of naming it so. US governs territories beyond our control so we have an agreement. Once we get our other two carriers on the sea, we can take over the responsibility and help ease USN's work while increasing our reputation as a reliable caretaker of the trading ships.

Other than those with agreements like above, I don't think anyone would want to take it from us or be capable enough to. So that's where discussion ends.

I think China should better stick to South China Sea and India to Indian Ocean while US and EU in Atlantic Ocean and East Pacific Ocean,Russia on its Lakes and Straits,Japan on West Pacific Ocean, South Europe and North Africa on Mediterranean and the SEA would be a better place to be!!!!!

Hopefully it wont have to come to that.
If the Maldives sink that the majority of the worlds greatest cities will follow suit, being all located near the cost. Including my home city.

Hopefully if we can halt global warming in the coming decade, we can find a way to to fix the damage already done.

India and China have a key role to play in this, hopefully Since India is still behind China the newer Infrastructure we build will provide cleaner energy.

and China's realization of how much damage pollution has done, have created a new green policy.

The best thing India can do to assist Maldives, and the world is to reduce its impact on global warming. It has taken steps but more is needed.
I went a bit off topic didn't I

yes u went off topic, but this topic will welcome every where, thanks for raising issue here.

Back
Top Bottom