What's new

India-born dominate in science, engineering degrees

IndoCarib

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
NEW YORK: India led all foreign-born groups in the US as the country-of-birth of science and engineering degree holders in 2010, according to a brief released in late November by the US Census Bureau.

The India-born in the US 25 years of age or older and holding science and engineering degrees totaled 747,000, about 18% of the foreign-born population of about 4,160,000 with degrees in those fields.

China was the next largest country-of-birth among the foreign-born in science and engineering at 516,000 (12%), while the Europe-born totaled 17.6% of those degrees.

Those born in Asia in 2010 held 57 percent of the science and engineering degrees among the foreign-born population.

The India-born were even more dominant in some science and engineering disciplines.

For example, in the field of computers, mathematics and statistics, those born in India held 24% of all degrees held by the foreign-born, with those born in China a distant second at 14%. The Europe-born held 15.5% of these degrees.

In engineering, those born in India held 22% of the degrees, with China second at 12.6%, and the Europe-born having 17.2% of the degrees.

In the field of physical and related sciences, the India-born held 19.9% of the degrees among foreign-born in the US, followed by China at 17.5%. Those born in Europe held 18.8%.

In biological, agricultural and environmental sciences, the India-born held 14.6% of the degrees among the foreign-born, followed closely by China at 13.7%. Those born in Europe held 15.8% of the degrees.

Only in social sciences, psychology and multi-disciplinary sciences were the India-born less dominant.

In social sciences, those born in India held just 8.7% of the degrees. Those born in Europe and the Caribbean held 21.5% and 19.4%, respectively. China was right behind India at 8.4%.

In psychology, the totals were Caribbean, 31.6%; Europe, 18.8%; India, 8.1%; Mexico, 7.9%; and Philippines, 6.9%.

In multi-disciplinary sciences, the Caribbean led at 22.8%; followed by Europe, 13.3%; the Philippines, 10.5%; India, 8.6%; and Korea, 8.3%.

The breakdown by percentages in specific fields of the India-born was: engineering, 43.1%; computers, mathematics and statistics, 21.4%; physical and related sciences, 12.8%; biological, agricultural and environmental sciences, 11.8%; social sciences, 7.2%; psychology, 3.1%; and multi-disciplinary sciences, 0.5%.

Foreign-born residents in the US represented 33% of all bachelor's degree holders in engineering fields; 27% in computers, mathematics and statistics; 24% in physical sciences; and 17% in biological, agricultural and environmental sciences.

India-born dominate in science, engineering degrees - The Times of India

---------- Post added at 08:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 PM ----------

Here is th original US census report

http://www.census.gov/prod/2011pubs/acsbr10-06.pdf

Congratulation to India for successfully exporting scientific and engineering talents to the U.S. I'm sure as time goes on the gap between India and other countries will only grow in this most promising of industries.

I wonder how many of the Indian born scientists or engineers choose to go back to India?

Congratulation to India for successfully exporting scientific and engineering talents to the U.S. I'm sure as time goes on the gap between India and other countries will only grow in this most promising of industries.

Au contraire with the brittle US economy and growing Indian job opportunities many graduates chose to return to India. Reverse brain drain has started.

Actually not only Indian, even US students are increasingly coming to India for their studies.

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2011-11-23/india/30433848_1_short-term-courses-semester-students

As the time goes by they will return to india with added knowledge !
i guess around 2017-2020.

Congrats for this achievement.

It is due to huge Indian population in US.

You there aren't that many of us here and in either case you've got to look at percentage. We're talking about a minority that makes up ~1% of the American population. The reason its so skewed is because almost every desi immigrant here is educated.

As for returning to India, I can't speak for Indians from India but most choose to stay in the states. India simply doesn't compare in terms of standard of living and salary.

well that is not the case, China has been exporting huge number of students to US, if your thesis were true China would have been falling behind.

Congrats on the achievement:cheers: . But the thing is most of the migrants there are well educated to start with. However, results tend to go down as the migrants starts to sink their roots into the country ( speaking from experience)

As someone who is currently studying for my Aeronautical/Aerospace Engineering Degree i would say I see a lot of Chinese and Indians in Engineering and Medical field than other Asian or European Groups. The only thing bad about this is many people have no choice but study and work in the US because of the opportunities. For example if I were have gone to a University in India, I would have had to pay back door fees just to get in even if I had great scores in my Board exams. The same case can be applied for jobs, unless these things are changed, i don't see too many Indian with higher degree and experience coming back to work in India.

Back
Top Bottom