What's new

India Become No. 1 in Test Cricket !

Chanakyaa

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
Kanpur: India (Ind) registered its 100th Test match victory after thrashing Sri Lanka (SL) by an innings and 144 runs in the second Test here at Green Park Stadium today.

The visitors were bowled out for 269 runs in their second innings after facing follow on.

After the thumping victory on fourth day of the second Test, India moved to number one spot in the Test ICC rankings.

A dominant India took one-and-half sessions to complete the formalities and spank Sri Lanka by an innings and 144 runs in the second cricket Test to take a 1-0 lead in the three-match series here today.

This turned out to be India's 100th Test victory in their 432nd outing.

The visitors began 57 for four and did their best to delay the inevitable before the Indians polished off the remnants of the Lankan resistance to complete a facile win with more than four sessions to spare.

Sri Lankans, who managed 229 in the first innings, did slightly better in their second essay, folding for 269.

India thus became the sixth nation to win 100 Test matches, following Australia (332), England (310), West Indies (152), South Africa (120) and Pakistan (102).

This was also India's biggest victory margin against the Lankans, in terms of innings. The previous mark was their thrashing of the islanders by an innings and 119 runs in the 1994 Lucknow Test.

With six wickets separating the Lankans from a defeat and two full days at India's disposal, the islanders' capitulation was just a matter of time and the four wickets they lost in the morning session only hastened their end.

Virender Sehwag and Gautam Gambhir awarded for brilliant partnership. Comeback boy S Sreesanth was adjudged 'Man of the Match' for his five wicket haul in the first innings.

Possibilities from Here On ::
Kanpur Test win has pushed Team India at the top of the Test rankings table on Friday. Here are the permutations and combinations of the numero uno position:

# India's 2nd Test has fetched them number one ranking.

# India will lose number one ranking if they lose Mumbai Test.

# If India win Mumbai Test and therefore win series 2-0, the team will be number one till December 30th.

December 30th is when the 2nd Test between South Africa and England gets over. And then also the only India lose the number one ranking if South Africa win both the first 2 Tests.

# If India win series 1-0 i.e.: Mumbai is a draw. Then, they will lose ranking only if South Africa wins 1st Test vs England, ending on December 20th.

I don't know s**t about cricket....
just curious do you guys (Indians, Pakis, S.Lankans...) play other sports...say football against each other ?

stop this stupid cricket thread....I dont know why we Indians are so crazy about ...

just curious do you guys (Indians, Pakis, S.Lankans...) play other sports...say football against each other ?

"FootBall" - You mean soccer or rugbee ??
Indians love soccer especially in Kolkata.

"FootBall" - You mean soccer or rugbee ??
Indians love soccer especially in Kolkata.

Yes, I mean soccer.

Love soccer, really ?
The thing is I can't recall ever having heard Indian guys talk any sports other than freaking Cricket......been working in IT w/ lots of Indians since 98

stop this stupid cricket thread....I dont know why we Indians are so crazy about ...

Im surprised...
Please dont mind my words ( No intention to offend ).

But in India ( and Pakistan too ) Yoo'd be really Crazy if u r not Crazy abt Cricket !
Any one whse is Not a Sachin's Fan here ??

This thread is totally about cricket, so u better stay away...:taz:

But in India ( and Pakistan too ) Yoo'd be really Crazy if u r not Crazy abt Cricket !
Any one whse is Not a Sachin's Fan here ??

hahaha Foster is probably one of the 18 or so people in India who don't like cricket - they should be assigned a speacil caste. LOL :cheesy:

Bro...i feel the passion of football...when there was match between INDIA and Syria in delhi nehru cup final...india won it in sudden death round...I never got so nervous in my hole life..

Yes, I mean soccer.

Love soccer, really ?
The thing is I can't recall ever having heard Indian guys talk any sports other than freaking Cricket......been working in IT w/ lots of Indians since 98

We suck big time at soccer ..... so its natural you don't hear your Indian colleagues talking too much about it.

Cricket, boxing, shooting, snooker, billiards, chess .... these are sports where as a country we have reached the top.

As for why of all these cricket is on a different plane in terms of national passion ..... I don't really know. But we love it (and don't bother analysing the why of it too much)!

Cheers, Doc

hahaha Foster is probably one of the 18 or so people in India who don't like cricket - they should be assigned a special caste. LOL :cheesy:

Well, Its a matter of Personal likes and dislikes.
Even my father likes to stay away frm cricket coz he thinks it simply "Kills" time and at the end of it no one gains anything.... except loosing time -- and that one shouls study, work and do his job rather wasting time.
You see in India Cicket is a Passion, i heard of "heart attck" cases when india lost in a game. Its True.

I humbly requst you to keep "flaming" topics like "caste" etc away from this thread which would rather spoil it.

If someone feels otherway abt any thing .. even cricket.. no harm.
India is a democracy.. thats the beauty that every on can speak his mind.
and he just spoke my Father's words. :cheers:

OK, not meaning to offend, just been wondering, so allow me pls:

Why is it you guys (Pak, Ind) can not just drop this colonial legacy play and focus on more worldly popular sports ?

Go india! lol. Hopefully Australia will take the spot soon. It will be ages before they do, the current team is ****.

OK, not meaning to offend, just been wondering, so allow me pls:

Why is it you guys (Pak, Ind) can not just drop this colonial legacy play and focus on more worldly popular sports ?

Cricket is a world sport. The World Series Cup is played by 9 different countries. It's not a "colonial" sport.

Back
Top Bottom