What's new

India Asked Lanka to Stop Colombo Port City Project

We Asians need to bury our differences,be they ideological、political、cultural or religious,and work together toward a common goal:economic prosperity,and all that that comes with economic prosperity。

A very sensible post from you for the first time in a thread related to 'India' (at least I saw it for the first time), but the differences look unsolvable for the time being. I wish there will be serious efforts to change the situation from the leadership of all countries, especially China, India and Pakistan (in South Asian context).

I don't think you are qualified to let us know about what the Chinese leadership think of India. So ignoring that part, those were Chinese nuke subs that visited Sri Lanka, not any commercial ship. Every country has the right to protect its interest, I think as neighbors we should respect each others concerns and sensibilities. And cooperation, not confrontation is the way to go forward.
To threaten India, Chinese subs cane when Shinzo Abe was in Sri Lanka? :lol: India is no match for China and Chinese know it. Why would they threaten a country that's similar to Sub-sahran africa

To threaten India, Chinese subs cane when Shinzo Abe was in Sri Lanka? :lol: India is no match for China and Chinese know it. Why would they threaten a country that's similar to Sub-sahran africa

Buddy china is no match for India in Indian ocean.

Chill. I can understand the limitations of a Chinese-fanboy from Sri Lanka to have a meaningful discussion on this topic. :)

Buddy china is no match for India in Indian ocean.
Chill. I can understand the limitations of a Chinese-fanboy from Sri Lanka to have a meaningful discussion on this topic. :)
Let's not overestimate ourselves. This is the same thing I have to tell to Sri Lankans who think China or US is out there to invade their "paradise".

I don't think you are qualified to let us know about what the Chinese leadership think of India. So ignoring that part, those were Chinese nuke subs that visited Sri Lanka, not any commercial ship. Every country has the right to protect its interest, I think as neighbors we should respect each others concerns and sensibilities. And cooperation, not confrontation is the way to go forward.

If they continue to needle India needlessly at this fanatical level, I really think these guys deserve the same kind of treatment their 'role model' China metes out to her smaller neighbors in SCS! Building Artificial Islands all over Palk Straits and change the whole geography of the conflict itself!

I know India is no China, but I am sure India can also 'manufacture' some flimsy medieval historical references to justify the claims to sand bars in Palk Straits! Then perhaps their whining will truly be justified.

For me, the most unfortunate thing has been that the Sri Lankans have engaged in anti-India activities right from independence - just to prove a point! Which is totally uncalled for, especially since there are just too many common problems that both the neighbors should be working together towards!

If they continue to needle India needlessly at this fanatical level, I really think these guys deserve the same kind of treatment their 'role model' China metes out to her smaller neighbors in SCS! Building Artificial Islands all over Palk Straits and change the whole geography of the conflict itself!

I know India is no China, but I am sure India can also 'manufacture' some flimsy medieval historical references to justify the claims to sand bars in Palk Straits! Then perhaps their whining will truly be justified.

For me, the most unfortunate thing has been that the Sri Lankans have engaged in anti-India activities right from independence - just to prove a point! Which is totally uncalled for, especially since there are just too many common problems that both the neighbors should be working together towards!
Foreign policy in the cold war times was driven by ideology but now it's driven by economy so saying that today's Sri Lanka engages in "anti-Indian" activities is stupid. The reason why India is nervous about China is because China has been the largest investor in Sri Lanka but at the same time, there is also enough for India to invest but Indians don't have enough resources to invest. Some of the projects Indian companies undertook were later abandoned. Even for Port City India was invited first to develop it but it was out of reach for Indian companies. Then China came and filled the void. Can you blame Sri Lanka or China for that?

Foreign policy in the cold war times was driven by ideology but now it's driven by economy so saying that today's Sri Lanka engages in "anti-Indian" activities is stupid. The reason why India is nervous about China is because China has been the largest investor in Sri Lanka but at the same time, there is also enough for India to invest but Indians don't have enough resources to invest. Some of the projects Indian companies undertook were later abandoned. Even for Port City India was invited first to develop it but it was out of reach for Indian companies. Then China came and filled the void. Can you blame Sri Lanka or China for that?

It not that indian companies do not have capability or financial muscle, but pure politics between tamil politician in india vs SL govt by previous UPA govt with failed foreign policy.Indian companies are investing and acquisition around the world comes around 40 billion annually buddy.

It not that indian companies do not have capability or financial muscle, but pure politics between tamil politician in india vs SL govt by previous UPA govt with failed foreign policy.Indian companies are investing and acquisition around the world comes around 40 billion annually buddy.
You are right in some cases but most of the times Indian companies are not capable to undertake large projects yet. One of the biggest examples is Krrish project. An Indian company undertook the project which is probably beyond their capability but to this day, it hasn't even started working on it.

Ceylon Today | To pay or not to pay? That's the question for Krrish

But at the same time, India's ITC hotel is going well.

Foreign policy in the cold war times was driven by ideology but now it's driven by economy so saying that today's Sri Lanka engages in "anti-Indian" activities is stupid.

You can't color everything with Cold War ideology and hope to get away with it!

For me, the biggest mistake Sri Lanka made, was taking a side in a regional conflict between India and Pakistan. Many other countries at that time, wisely, stayed out of the conflict and let both India and Pakistan diss it out on each other!

Particularly during 1971 war, Sri Lanka facilitated the slaughter of millions of East Pakistanis by giving berthing/refueling rights to PN/PAF! If that is not a DIRECT hostile intent against India, then what is?

Even today, ISI continues to use Sri Lankan territory for subversive activities against India.

Obviously, India is justified in believing that Sri Lanka lets her territory be used for anti-India activities. But ironically, Sri Lankans complain only about India's intervention in the island nation!

The reason why India is nervous about China is because China has been the largest investor in Sri Lanka but at the same time, there is also enough for India to invest but Indians don't have enough resources to invest. Some of the projects Indian companies undertook were later abandoned. Even for Port City India was invited first to develop it but it was out of reach for Indian companies. Then China came and filled the void. Can you blame Sri Lanka or China for that?

I don't think India can raise objections to Chinese legitimate investments that don't threaten India. What irks India though are dual purpose investments that can pose severe security threats to India.

Already China has put India at an eternal disadvantage by clandestinely facilitating Pakistan with Nuclear weapons and their delivery mechanisms. When China was doing that, she had absolutely no illusions as to who those Nuclear weapons will be targeted against. Even today, China regularly blocks UN resolutions against Pakistan based terrorist organizations targeting India. So China is no saint when it comes to this region, or any other region for that matter!

Of course, India will continue to protest and act unilaterally on anything that threatens her territorial integrity - no matter how strongly Sri Lanka feels about it.

It it leads to blocking some of genuine-sounding investments too, that is the price Sri Lanka will have to pay for her past indiscretions against India!

You can't color everything with Cold War ideology and hope to get away with it!

For me, the biggest mistake Sri Lanka made, was taking a side in a regional conflict between India and Pakistan. Many other countries at that time, wisely, stayed out of the conflict and let both India and Pakistan diss it out on each other!

Particularly during 1971 war, Sri Lanka facilitated the slaughter of millions of East Pakistanis by giving berthing/refueling rights to PN/PAF! If that is not a DIRECT hostile intent against India, then what is?

Even today, ISI continues to use Sri Lankan territory for subversive activities against India.

Obviously, India is justified in believing that Sri Lanka lets her territory be used for anti-India activities. But ironically, Sri Lankans complain only about India's intervention in the island nation!
What part of my post you can't understand? Sri Lanka's foreign policy before in in 1980s and foreign policy now are totally different. Today, it doesn't express any interest over any conflict in South Asia and it can't afford to do so. Sri Lanka today is neutral. Where is evidence that ISI uses Sri Lanka for its activities? You do know that Sri Lanka's muslims are kept in check?

What part of my post you can't understand? Sri Lanka's foreign policy before in in 1980s and foreign policy now are totally different. Today, it doesn't express any interest over any conflict in South Asia and it can't afford to do so. Sri Lanka today is neutral. Where is evidence that ISI uses Sri Lanka for its activities? You do know that Sri Lanka's muslims are kept in check?

I hope so too, for the sake of my poor brother South Asians!

If there is one conflict that troubles me immensely, it is India-Sri Lanka conflict. The conflict itself seems so unnatural, so stupid, so unnecessary! We could do without it!

But unfortunately, nations tend to have a longer memory than that. So it will take time for India to start trusting Sri Lanka's intentions of inviting the biggest bad guy in Asia to her own backyard which also happens to be next to India's backyard.

Anyway, let this be a message to all Sri Lankans and their blood brothers from Pakistan/China who blame India for LTTE while willfully remaining IGNORANT about Sri Lanka's own role in bringing down the Indo-Lanka relationship to this level - right from her independence!

Where is evidence that ISI uses Sri Lanka for its activities?

Google is your friend, my 'friend'!

Whether or not, Sri Lanka facilitated this willfully, remains unknown at this moment!

You do know that Sri Lanka's muslims are kept in check?

One thing that Chinese and Sri Lankan members of PDF have taught me very quickly is that - in this fight against Islamic terrorism, 'each country is on her own'!

Yeah what is with these islanders hiding behind chinese naval prowess. Hilarious!

Back
Top Bottom