What's new

India and Turkey: Friends Again?

The reversal of the Turkish position on Kashmir is a prime example of this paradigm shift under the new security challenges of the 21st century as Turkey moved from a call for a referendum under UN supervision to stressing the importance of Indian-Pakistani bilateral talks to resolve the issue, which is arguably closer to the Indian position.

Turkey after all these years has changed it's stance in respect to Kashmir and India now and this will only get stronger as trade ties grow between our countries.

The reversal of the Turkish position on Kashmir is a prime example of this paradigm shift under the new security challenges of the 21st century as Turkey moved from a call for a referendum under UN supervision to stressing the importance of Indian-Pakistani bilateral talks to resolve the issue, which is arguably closer to the Indian position.

Turkey after all these years has changed it's stance in respect to Kashmir and India now and this will only get stronger as trade ties grow between our countries.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seminar on Kashmir Solidarity Day - Unwavering Turkish support for the oppressed people of Kashmir

6th February 2013.

ANKARA, February 6: Participants of a seminar expressed their full support to the oppressed people of Kashmir and their democratic right to self-determination. The seminar, to commemorate Kashmir Solidarity Day, was organized by Turkey-Pakistan Cultural Association in collaboration with Ankara University.

Photo1.JPG

(from left to right): Ambassador M. Haroon Shaukat, Mr. Burhan Kayaturk, Prof. Dr. Mustafa Kamalak and Prof. Dr. Oya Akgönenç sharing stage during Kashmir Solidarity Day in Ankara on Tuesday evening, 5th February 2013

While addressing the participants, Prof. Dr. Mustafa Kamalak, Chairman of Saadet Party said the people of Turkey shall always support the cause of the oppressed Kashmiri people. He said international community should pay attention towards resolving Kashmir, Cyprus and Palestine issues where the Muslims are suffering since decades.

Prof. Dr. Oya Akgönenç, a noted academician, writer and former member of Turkish Grand National Assembly, explained the historical perspective of Kashmir. She said regional peace is dependent upon the resolution of the Kashmir issue according to the wishes of the Kashmiri people. She said Indian forces in the Occupied Kashmir are violating human rights and have killed thousands of innocent Kashmiris including women and children.

DSCF1626.JPG

Mr. Burhan Kayaturk, President of Turkey-Pakistan Cultural Association and member of Turkish Grand National Assembly stressed on the need to resolve Kashmir issue through dialogue. He said Turkey will continue to play a positive role and shall support efforts aimed at resolution of the Kashmir dispute.

Pakistan’s Ambassador to Turkey H.E. Mr. Muhammad Haroon Shaukat said Pakistan remains committed to a meaningful, sustained and result-oriented dialogue with India to resolve all outstanding issues, most importantly, the core dispute of Kashmir. He reiterated the unwavering political, moral and diplomatic support of the people and Government of Pakistan to the just struggle of Kashmiri people to safeguard their fundamental rights including their right to self-determination. He acknowledged the historical support of the people and Government of Turkey in this regard.

Seminar on Kashmir Solidarity Day - Unwavering Turkish support for the oppressed people of Kashmir

There is no "shift" in Turkish policy towards Kashmir, its only being reported in Indian propagenda.

Last edited by a moderator:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6th February 2013.

ANKARA, February 6: Participants of a seminar expressed their full support to the oppressed people of Kashmir and their democratic right to self-determination. The seminar, to commemorate Kashmir Solidarity Day, was organized by Turkey-Pakistan Cultural Association in collaboration with Ankara University.

Photo1.JPG

(from left to right): Ambassador M. Haroon Shaukat, Mr. Burhan Kayaturk, Prof. Dr. Mustafa Kamalak and Prof. Dr. Oya Akgönenç sharing stage during Kashmir Solidarity Day in Ankara on Tuesday evening, 5th February 2013

While addressing the participants, Prof. Dr. Mustafa Kamalak, Chairman of Saadet Party said the people of Turkey shall always support the cause of the oppressed Kashmiri people. He said international community should pay attention towards resolving Kashmir, Cyprus and Palestine issues where the Muslims are suffering since decades.

Prof. Dr. Oya Akgönenç, a noted academician, writer and former member of Turkish Grand National Assembly, explained the historical perspective of Kashmir. She said regional peace is dependent upon the resolution of the Kashmir issue according to the wishes of the Kashmiri people. She said Indian forces in the Occupied Kashmir are violating human rights and have killed thousands of innocent Kashmiris including women and children.

DSCF1626.JPG

Mr. Burhan Kayaturk, President of Turkey-Pakistan Cultural Association and member of Turkish Grand National Assembly stressed on the need to resolve Kashmir issue through dialogue. He said Turkey will continue to play a positive role and shall support efforts aimed at resolution of the Kashmir dispute.

Pakistan’s Ambassador to Turkey H.E. Mr. Muhammad Haroon Shaukat said Pakistan remains committed to a meaningful, sustained and result-oriented dialogue with India to resolve all outstanding issues, most importantly, the core dispute of Kashmir. He reiterated the unwavering political, moral and diplomatic support of the people and Government of Pakistan to the just struggle of Kashmiri people to safeguard their fundamental rights including their right to self-determination. He acknowledged the historical support of the people and Government of Turkey in this regard.

There is no "shift" in Turkish policy towards Kashmir, its only being reported in Indian propagenda.

The article I posted is from a Turkish Newspaper which states Turkey has changed it's 'official' position in respect to Kashmir

Turkey like other counties calls for the Indian-Pakistani bilateral talks to resolve the issue and also during the Kargil war I believe Turkey like China asked Pakistan to respect the LOC and move back to the line of control.

- Unwavering Turkish support for the ... Views expressed are blogger's own and not reflect official policy.

Aeronaut that is not the official position of Turkey that is just some persons view and everyone has their own views

India & Turkey both are secular democratic countries. We have to be realise that if turkey improves ties with us then simply its not against India & if improves Pakistan then not against India. India & Turkey foreign policy based on mutual freindship with everyone.

That quote is from an article dating back to 2010. In 2011 at the UN General Assembly Pres. Gul of Turkey even raised the Kashmir issue in his speech, Turkey again in Dec. of 2012 affirmed its support to Pakistan on Kashmir issue. Earlier this year in Feb. of 2013 Turkey and other countries joined Pakistan in the OIC to reaffirm their support for the Kashmir cause in which India was widely condemned. I don't think there has been any reversal in policy in real terms.

Turkey support cause of Kashmiris

Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

That quote is from an article dating back to 2010. In 2011 at the UN General Assembly Pres. Gul of Turkey even raised the Kashmir issue in his speech, Turkey again in Dec. of 2012 affirmed its support to Pakistan on Kashmir issue. Earlier this year in Feb. of 2013 Turkey and other countries joined Pakistan in the OIC to reaffirm their support for the Kashmir cause in which India was widely condemned. I don't think there has been any reversal in policy in real terms.

Turkey support cause of Kashmiris

Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

He later apologised for bringing that up at the UN, the article I posted was from a Turkish newspaper by a Turk which says Turkey has changed it's stance in respect to Kashmir. This is not to say many Turks will not support Pakistan's view on Kashmir but Turkey's official view is neutral it seems to me.

Turkey today expressed apologies for raking up the Kashmir issue in the UN General Assembly after India conveyed its "unhappiness" over the matter.

External Affairs Minister S M Krishna met his Turkish counterpart Ahmet Davutoglu on the sidelines of Istanbul conference during which Krishna conveyed the country's "surprise and unhappiness."

"India conveys its surprise and unhappiness on the UN General Assembly speech of the Prime Minister of Turkey wherein Kashmir was refereed to. India conveys that Kashmir is part and parcel of India and has a democratically elected state government," official sources said.

Clarifying his country's position, Davutoglu said the purpose was not to internationalise the issue of Kashmir, according to officials.

"...apologize if it has hurt the sentiments of Indians," the Turkish Minister said.

Officials said the minister explained that Turkish Prime Minister just commented that India was having a dialogue with Pakistan and meant that the Kashmir issue was between India and Pakistan.

He later apologised for bringing that up at the UN, the article I posted was from a Turkish newspaper by a Turk which says Turkey has changed it's stance in respect to Kashmir. This is not to say many Turks will not support Pakistan's view on Kashmir but Turkey's official view is neutral it seems to me.

The only "apology from Turkey" source I could find were Indian, are there any credible sources reporting the "apology" preferably a Turkish media source. Otherwise I cannot believe the "apology" rumor story.

The only "apology from Turkey" source I could find were Indian, are there any credible sources reporting the "apology" preferably a Turkish media source. Otherwise I cannot believe the "apology" rumor story.

Okay but did you read the article I posted from the Turkish newspaper by a Turk? it states the position in respect to Kashmir has changed

Okay but did you read the article I posted from the Turkish newspaper by a Turk? it states the position in respect to Kashmir has changed

I read the article it was an opinion piece by the author, the "article" is from 2010. I don't think there was any real reversal of policy as the author claims, considering just earlier this year in OIC Turkey's Secretary General reaffirmed support for Kashmir issue (see link).

@tony singh

Present an evidence of any such policy shift and that evidence doesn't include Indian newspapers. :rolleyes:

I read the article it was an opinion piece by the author, the "article" is from 2010. I don't think there was any real reversal of policy as the author claims, considering just earlier this year in OIC Turkey's Secretary General reaffirmed support for Kashmir issue (see link).

"Turkey Could Facilitate Cooperation in the Indian Sub-Continent", 19 December 2012

This is a good article from Prof. Selçuk Çolakoğlu, Director of USAK Center for Asia-Pacific Studies.

Last few years Turkey and India have come closer & in respect to the OIC they always raise the Kashmir issue nothing new there

Turkey’s strong bond with Pakistan has also been the cause of some friction with New Delhi. Politically, Pakistan has been an ardent supporter of Ankara, especially on sensitive issues such as the Turkish intervention in Cyprus. Given the political landscape during the 1970’s and 1980’s, Pakistan’s support on this issue was critical for Turkey. In return, Turkey gave its political support to Pakistan on the Kashmir issues. However, Turkey does not agree fully with Islamabad’s theory on Kashmir.

Turkey like India also faces the threat of terrorism and militants they can understand India's stance on the matter also as well as Pakistan's view

6th February 2013.

Is this cultural Organization a govt body ? If not, what does this have to do with Official position of Turkish Govt..? Also, posting a blog as an official position of a sovereign govt ? Really ???

"Turkey Could Facilitate Cooperation in the Indian Sub-Continent", 19 December 2012

This is a good article from Prof. Selçuk Çolakoğlu, Director of USAK Center for Asia-Pacific Studies.

Last few years Turkey and India have come closer & in respect to the OIC they always raise the Kashmir issue nothing new there

Turkey’s strong bond with Pakistan has also been the cause of some friction with New Delhi. Politically, Pakistan has been an ardent supporter of Ankara, especially on sensitive issues such as the Turkish intervention in Cyprus. Given the political landscape during the 1970’s and 1980’s, Pakistan’s support on this issue was critical for Turkey. In return, Turkey gave its political support to Pakistan on the Kashmir issues. However, Turkey does not agree fully with Islamabad’s theory on Kashmir.

Turkey like India also faces the threat of terrorism and militants they can understand India's stance on the matter also as well as Pakistan's view

Turkey refused to invite India to the Tripartite Meeting on Afghanistan in Istanbul at the request of Pakistan in January 2010. By the way the study you linked is nice but its mostly about what CAN or COULD happen in trade relations with Turkey and India I didn't read anything about Turkey "reversal" on Kashmir policy.

Back
Top Bottom