What's new

India activists in 'half a dollar a day' dare to panel

53fd

New Recruit

Reaction score
Indian activists have dared the head of the country's planning body to live on half a dollar a day to test his claim that it is an adequate sum to survive.

Last week the Planning Commission said the amount is "adequate" for a villager to spend on food, education and health.

But prominent campaigners Aruna Roy and Harsh Mander asked the panel chief, Montek Singh Ahluwalia, and members to either withdraw the figure or resign.

Officially, 37% of India's 1.21bn people live below the poverty line.

But there are various estimates of the exact number of poor in India and one suggests the true figure could be as high as 77%.

But the Planning Commission recently told India's Supreme Court that an individual income of 25 rupees (52 cents) a day would help provide for adequate "private expenditure on food, education and health" in the villages. In the cities, it said, individual earnings of 32 rupees a day (65 cents) were adequate.

Critics say this amount is extremely low and aimed at "artificially" reducing the number of poor. They argue that this will deprive millions of state benefits they would otherwise be entitled to.

Estimate ridiculed
"The right to food campaign challenges you and all the members of the Planning Commission to live on 25 rupees or 32 rupees a day till such time that you are able to explain to the public in simple words the basis of the statement that this amount is 'normatively adequate'," an open letter to the commission signed by Ms Roy, Mr Mander and various other activists said.

"If it cannot be explained then the affidavit [filed by the commission stating the figures] should be withdrawn or else you should resign."

The Planning Commission submitted the figures after the Supreme Court asked the government to update its poverty line figures to reflect rising prices.

The low figures, at a time when India has been struggling to contain inflation which is at a 13-month high of 9.78%, have been ridiculed not just by activists but also by many citizens.

Many experts have said the income limit to define the poor was too low.

And a World Bank report in May said attempts by the Indian government to combat poverty were not working.

It said aid programmes were beset by corruption, bad administration and under-payments.

BBC News - India activists in 'half a dollar a day' dare to panel

I dont see anything wrong with this at all. In fact this is exactly what I said you can go check my posts when a thread on thiswas put here this panel should be made to live on half a dollar a day for 6 months and then lets see what they say

I know that pakistan is often mentioned as a failed state for various reasons. But honestly guys I dont mean this as a jibe at indians but are india and pakistan not both failed states that we cant even feed our people of the basics. Surely so many poor sleeping hungry children means both are countries are failures and failed states.

Can any Indian forum member advise us what half a dollar can buy in india please,

The buggers out there in the planning commission used the 1973-74 data to calculate nutrition levels required to subsist at a minimum, and then used it to calculate the poverty lines. Then what they go ahead and do is use that poverty levels in the 1973-74 data and adjust the prices at that time for the current calculation of the poverty levels. Which means that u will see more and more BPL people meet the 1973-74 prices adjusted for inflation, but not the nutrition levels required for this time. Also Consumer Price Indexing is no measure to compute the BPL over such a long duration.

A better criticism of the same was in today's Hindu edition :: How little can a person live on?. The Author's rejoinder is caustic here
The claim that poverty has declined is not true because the method of indexation that is actually used has not kept constant the nutritional standard against which poverty is measured, but has lowered it continuously. China's official poverty lines are equally absurd, for the same reason. A nutrition norm was applied in 1984 to obtain a 200-yuan annual rural poverty line, which thereafter was merely indexed, giving 1,067 yuan by 2007, or below three yuan a day. This is supposed to cover all living costs but would not have bought even a kilogram of the cheapest variety of rice, selling then at four yuan, according to information provided by China's residents. The actual extent of poverty in China is far higher than is claimed.

One wonders if we will ever see honest estimates from official sources anywhere, since, by now, hundreds of economists are closely imprecated within a vast global poverty-estimating structure with the World Bank at its apex, producing increasingly misleading estimates every year in glossy reports. The World Bank's global poverty line is an equally large underestimate, for it is derived using “purchasing power parity conversion” from local currencies to the U.S. dollar, of these very same absurdly low local-currency official rural poverty lines of developing countries.

What are the realistic poverty lines today based on officially accepted nutritional norms? The current poverty lines allowing nutrition norms of 2,200 or 2,100 calories in the rural or urban areas to be met, are at least Rs.1,085 a month (Rs.36 a day) and Rs.1,800 a month (Rs.60 a day) respectively. Since each full-time worker needs to support nearly two dependants, these correspond to a minimum daily wage of Rs.108 and Rs.180 respectively. But this is inadequate: no margin exists for medical emergencies, life cycle ceremonies, or old age. From the 2009-10 NSS data at least 75 per cent of the total population is in poverty on this basis. This high level of deprivation is the rationale for going back to a non-targeted, universal food distribution system, but that will not be enough. The purchasing power of the poor has to be raised at the same time through employment generation schemes. Ironically, there has been a rise in unemployment rates according to the latest surveys.

The buggers out there in the planning commission used the 1973-74 data to calculate nutrition levels required to subsist at a minimum, and then used it to calculate the poverty lines. Then what they go ahead and do is use that poverty levels in the 1973-74 data and adjust the prices at that time for the current calculation of the poverty levels. Which means that u will see more and more BPL people meet the 1973-74 prices adjusted for inflation, but not the nutrition levels required for this time. Also Consumer Price Indexing is no measure to compute the BPL over such a long duration.

A better criticism of the same was in today's Hindu edition :: How little can a person live on?. The Author's rejoinder is caustic here

but please could you tell me what half a dollar will buy in india

I would suggest the govt to go by world bank international poverty rate . Anything below that would be too less .

according to the world bank international poverty line is 1.25 $ a day and the poverty in India was 41.6 % in 2005 and will be 22.4 % in 2015 .

This is the best option .

Global Monitoring Report 2011 - Goal 1: Eradicate Extreme Poverty and Hunger

Check Box 1.1 for information .

I think this part of the BBC report is also important:

And a World Bank report in May said attempts by the Indian government to combat poverty were not working

Half a dollar , I mean Rs.32 is not adequate for a day, Atleast Rs.100 is needed.

If the politicians say Rs.32 is enough, why they are getting Rs.500/day during parliamentary session??? we sholud give them only Rs.32

Alwalia becomes retard to say Rs.32 is enough.

but please could you tell me what half a dollar will buy in india

The amount is in INR,not dollar.

The planning commission says that 25 INR will be enough for a person to sustain his life above the poverty line.
My decent and normal meal consisting of rice,lentils and a vegetable costs me about 30 INR in a city.Thats not too extravagent a meal,just a normal one.
Prices will be lesser in the villages,but I dont think 25 INR will be enough for someone to fulfill his needs.With that money one will be hard pressed to get meals twice a day,forget about other needs.It is an idiotic decision by the Planning Commission and I totally condemn it.

I know that pakistan is often mentioned as a failed state for various reasons. But honestly guys I dont mean this as a jibe at indians but are india and pakistan not both failed states that we cant even feed our people of the basics. Surely so many poor sleeping hungry children means both are countries are failures and failed states.

Not sure if you are taking a jibe or not but you need to enlighten yourself about what is called a failed state...In simple layman terms if the number of poor in my country are more then what they were last year then i am moving towards failure...If i am reducing the number then i am moving away from it...

In Pakistan poverty has increased over the years however it is still not a failed state. Pakistan economy still has the potential to bounce back so no way it can be termed as failed state...India on the other hand is booming economy and is reducing her poverty day by day(pace can be debated) and has lot of potential...So no way a failed state...

come on yaar I have no idea. Ok convert half a dollar. what Im saying is it enough for food etc?
It was just a joke.I seriously do not understand the entire brouhaha over the report.It's just an estimate not a projection to be used for policy formulation.Agencies goof up with estimates all the time.Somebody messes and then a cleanup is ordered.I wouldn't read too much into it.

Half a dollar might be enough for states that offer subsidized food-grain programs but it wouldn't be nearly enough for societal sustenance.

Back
Top Bottom