What's new

India: A Failed State and Sham Secular Democracy

Status
Not open for further replies.
5000 children under 5 die in India everyday, not a failed state ?

5000 under-5 children die in India everyday: UNICEF - India - The Times of India
:smitten::pakistan::china:

Now i get it.. This is why China is number 1 in population. no child below 5 has ever died there. ... very informative indeed

And by the way why is always a pakistan flag and china flag in all ur posts?? is it because they are friends.. how about providing flags of countries india is friendly with maybe 20-30 flags so that indians can also display it after every post???
:pakistan::china::usflag:

Oh yeah, i am shock again, enjoy the comparison !

UNICEF - India - Statistics

Statistics
Basic indicator | Nutrition | Health | HIV AIDS | Education | Demographic Indicators | Economic indicators | Women | Child Protection | The Rate of Progress

Basic indicator
to the top

Under-5 mortality rank

Under-5 mortality rate, 1990

Under-5 mortality rate, 2008

Infant mortality rate (under 1), 1990

Infant mortality rate (under 1), 2008

Neonatal mortality rate, 2004

Total population (thousands), 2008

Annual no. of births (thousands), 2008

Annual no. of under-5 deaths (thousands), 2008

GNI per capita (US$), 2008

Life expectancy at birth (years), 2008

Total adult literacy rate (%), 2003–2008*

Primary school net enrolment/ attendance (%), 2003–2008*

% share of household income 2000–2007*, lowest 40%

% share of household income 2000–2007*, highest 20%

UNICEF - China - Statistics

Statistics
Basic indicator | Nutrition | Health | HIV AIDS | Education | Demographic Indicators | Economic indicators | Women | Child Protection | The Rate of Progress

Basic indicator
to the top

Under-5 mortality rank

Under-5 mortality rate, 1990

Under-5 mortality rate, 2008

Infant mortality rate (under 1), 1990

Infant mortality rate (under 1), 2008

Neonatal mortality rate, 2004

Total population (thousands), 2008

Annual no. of births (thousands), 2008

Annual no. of under-5 deaths (thousands), 2008

GNI per capita (US$), 2008

Life expectancy at birth (years), 2008

Total adult literacy rate (%), 2003–2008*

Primary school net enrolment/ attendance (%), 2003–2008*

% share of household income 2000–2007*, lowest 40%

% share of household income 2000–2007*, highest 20%
:smitten::pakistan::china:

^^ What's the use you are second after india...I just said 'another'..

Reactions: rad
It is no need to compare Russis equipments with china, they are ahead of us, everyone knows that. We chinese dont over evalue ourself. We know what status we are.

About this, I only can say countris's realationship doesent go so easilly.
I dont believe you can get those equipment, and Rassia also sell their equipment to china and other countries. Rassia is not the Soviet before any more, Rassia has changed, they are only looking for money now. They only care about who can give them more. And Comparing money, I think you cant deny that china has far more than indian, and comparing foreign diplomacy power china is aslo more powerful than indian. About the datails, if you like, you can open a new thread, I would be glad to talk with you in that thread.

how more pathetic can you get, Cant you even Understand what I was saying??? You want the debate to go in your way, so you leave the points which you dont want and take what is comfortable for you, this is what we call Selective reading... there is no cure for your disease....

And as far as your comments on Russia, we love Russia, they have helped us a lot in our dark times which I dont need to explain it to you. And Russia India alliance is not money minded... And I dont think,no matter how much money you give to russians they wont Share sophesticated technology with you... we know Our Russians more than you do..

Last edited:
I agree with William Dalrymple. But do not agree with thread the title. The title is incendiary. However, Indian style secularism is different from U.S and the likes of France.

out of all this high and blue

on comparing india and pakistan William Dalrymple left one important point

no offence meant; just facts pakistan as a country is runnin on aids and india is not
Hi,
i dont intend to detract the topic but i think the words you are looking for are foreign aid not Aids it is what which in abundant in India & u dont need me to give u proof of that

self delete, i just realised, if i comment, to such BS its my loss. I am not a pathetic low life to fall to the level of people who have started this nonsense.

Last edited:
Indian members please stop posting on this thread, why are we all indulging in stupid arguments with people who cannot debate without getting personal. Please save yourself a ban and not fall to the level of trolls
Cheers
DM

Here's an analysis titled "Vision 2010: a dangerous myopia" by Amiya Kumar Bagchi in the Hindu:

The Central budget of 2010-11 is a further step in the realisation of a vision of India vibrant with the income, wealth, saving, education and the entrepreneurial energy of the top 5-10 per cent of the population and the rest of Indians, serving that minority and surviving as barely literate, malnourished multitude.

With the accession of Rajiv Gandhi to power, a vision began to germinate. That vision was that of an India that would be vibrant with the entrepreneurial energy of the few, and the rest of the population serving those few with their labour.

---------------------
Look at the successes of the budget: the professional middle class is happy with the cuts in taxes collected from it. The business community, including foreign investors, is happy, because of further privatisation of public assets by which the Finance Minister proposes to raise Rs. 25,000 crore, because of the looming privatisation of many operations of the Indian Railways, whose kitty is nowhere near what it should be for even partial implementation of the projects announced by the Railway Minister, because the FDI path would be further smoothed and because licences would be issued for fresh private banks. Never mind if they fail as the Global Trust Bank did, the government will pick up the bill directly or indirectly, in accordance with its earlier record and the recent practice in the United States and Britain where banks failed but bankers remained prosperous. The Indian stock market responded positively, thus sending a message of welcome to the budget and generating profits for the bulls.

The Finance Ministers of the neoliberal Central government had earlier instituted the Fiscal Responsibility and Responsibility Management Act. This became their excuse to drastically cut down public investment and expenditure on the social sector. As soon as the global financial crisis hit India and the interests of the Indian rich demanded fiscal stimulus, the government overthrew fiscal orthodoxy and budget deficits soared. North Block policymakers can claim that the stimulus worked and the growth rates did not crash. The problem is with the content of that growth.

-----------------------------

The Union Cabinet recently approved an agreement with the U.S. on ‘Agricultural co-operation and food security.' Under an India-U.S. Agricultural Knowledge Initiative, multinational agribusiness firms such as Cargill and Monsanto can become members of the policymaking body. This is ironical since most of U.S. agribusinesses are conducted under the umbrella of huge government subsidies, while the current budget has cut the measly subsidies poor farmers enjoy in India. Indian agriculture has grown slowly in recent years, and food grain production has lagged behind population growth.

Ordinary Indians are badly malnourished and calorie intake has fallen over time. An Expert Group appointed by the Planning Commission has proposed 1800 calories per day as the norm of consumption by an adult for fixing the poverty line. This norm is applicable only for light or sedentary work. How is a construction worker with heavy head loads or an agricultural worker driving buffaloes in a flooded paddy land going to do his work and lead a healthy life or survive long? Even this norm yields an estimate of poverty of about 42 per cent in 2004-05, much higher than the estimates quoted officially. If the Food Security Bill is passed by Parliament, it will presumably be implemented by accepting the older estimate or the new estimate of the Expert Group. Either way, a vast number of people who are malnourished will remain in that state.

The Hindu : Opinion / Leader Page Articles : Vision 2010: a dangerous myopia

Capital suggestion

Dr Farrukh Saleem

HERE'S what is happening in India: The two Ambani brothers can buy 100 percent of every company listed on the Karachi Stock Exchange (KSE) and would still be left with $30 billion to spare. The four richest Indians can buy up all goods and services produced over a year by 169 million Pakistanis and still be left with $60 billion to spare. The four richest Indians are now richer than the forty richest Chinese. [current rating shows the elder brother Mukesh’s total wealth is 22 billion US dollars]
In November, Bombay Stock Exchange's benchmark Sensex flirted with 20,000 points. As a consequence, Mukesh Ambani's Reliance Industries became a $100 bill ion company (the entire KSE is capitalized at $65 billion). Mukesh owns 48 percent of Reliance.

In November, comes Neeta's birthday. Neeta turned forty-four three weeks ago. Look what she got from her husband as her birthday gift:

A sixty-million dollar jet with a custom fitted master bedroom, bathroom with mood lighting, a sky bar, entertainment cabins, satellite television, wireless communication and a separate cabin with game consoles. Neeta is Mukesh Ambani's wife, and Mukesh is not India 's richest but the second richest.
Mukesh is now building his new home, Residence Antillia (after a mythical, phantom island somewhere in the Atlantic Ocean ). At a cost of $1 billion this would be the most expensive home on the face of the planet. At 173 meters tall Mukesh's new family residence, for a family of six, will be the equivalent of a 60-storeyed building. The first six floors are reserved for parking. The seventh floor is for car servicing and maintenance.. The eighth floor houses a mini-theatre. Then there's a health club, a gym and a swimming pool. Two floors are reserved for Ambani family's guests. Four floors above the guest floors are family floors all with a superb view of the Arabian Sea On top of everything are three helipads. A staff of 600 is expected to care for the family and their family home. In 2004, India became the 3rd most attractive foreign direct investment destination. Pakistan wasn't even in the top 25 countries.

In 2004, the United Nations, the representative body of 192 sovereign member states, had requested the Election Commission of India to assist the UN in the holding elections in Al Jumhuriyah al Iraqiyah and Dowlat-e Eslami-ye Afghanestan. Why the Election Commission of India and not the Election Commission of Pakistan? After all, Islamabad is closer to Kabul than is Delhi.

Imagine, 12 percent of all American scientists are of Indian origin; 38 percent of doctors in America are Indian; 36 percent of NASA scientists are Indians; 34 percent of Microsoft employees are Indians; and 28 percent of IBM employees are Indians.

For the record: Sabeer Bhatia created and founded Hotmail. Sun Microsystems was founded by Vinod Khosla. The Intel Pentium processor, that runs 90 percent of all computers, was fathered by Vinod Dham.

Rajiv Gupta co-invented Hewlett Packard's E-speak project. Four out often Silicon Valley start-ups are run by Indians. Bollywood produces 800 movies per year and six Indian ladies have won Miss Universe/Miss World titles over the past 10 years.

For the record: Azim Premji, the richest Muslim entrepreneur on the face of the planet, was born in Bombay and now lives in Bangalore.India now has more than three dozen billionaires; Pakistan has none (not a single dollar billionaire).

The other amazing aspect is the rapid pace at which India is creating wealth. In 2002, Dhirubhai Ambani, Mukesh and Anil Ambani's father, left his two sons a fortune worth $2.8 billion. In 2007, their combined wealth stood at $94 billion. On 29 October 2007, as a result of the stock market rally and the appreciation of the Indian rupee, Mukesh became the richest person in the world, with net worth climbing to US$63.2 billion (Bill Gates, the richest American, stands at around $56 billion). Indians and Pakistanis have the same Y-chromosome haplogroup. We have the same genetic sequence and the same genetic marker (namely: M124).

We have the same DNA molecule, the same DNA sequence. Our culture, our traditions and our cuisine are all the same. We watch the same movies and sing the same songs. What is it that Indians have and we don't?

INDIANS ELECT THEIR LEADERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And also to mention: They think of Construction of own nation, unlike other nations who are just concerned with destruction of others...

Simple answer to why the Indians fare better than the Pakistanis - They don't focus on religion all the time and neither do they spend time and money in devising ways to kill their own and everyone else over religion.

[A friend who e- mailed these comments found these interesting. We are reproducing to start a debate without necessary agreeing with the writer. Over 70 per cent of the Indians do not have toilets, forty per cent no drinking water and the same number survives on Rs 50 a day. Look at this side also]

South Asia Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom