What's new

‘India 2nd among BRICK nations in research’

It's not rocket science.

# cited papers / total population
# cited papers / GDP

What kind of stupid ratios are those.If you mean population of researchers in the country,then it will make some sense.Sadly,I don't have any info on that.Other ratio is simply oxymoronic.But we do spend around 1% of GDP in R&D,which is pretty decent for a developing country like India.

No body here knows what that even means.But here is a good link on Geographical trends of research output.We are doing rather well in our region and among countries compared to our per capita income.
Geographical trends of research output - Research Trends
Leave it buddy. He can't prove anything even if you provide proof from all over the world.

Total population. :lol: Forgets how many people don't have any research facilities in India.

Buddy what's the state of research in Life sciences, Medical sciences, Pharmacy in China. It is quite high in Engineering sciences. What about other fields ?

Nowhere near high enough, considering our population size.

Citations per Document is still low, H Index scores are still low.

What kind of stupid ratios are those.If you mean population of researchers in the country,then it will make some sense.Sadly,I don't have any info on that.Other ratio is simply oxymoronic.But we do spend around 1% of GDP in R&D,which is pretty decent for a developing country like India.
Well if we increase it from 1% to 3 % in next 5 years, they will say India should focus on poverty, sanitation, hunger etc. etc.

They haven't done substantial, and pass judgement on us.

vote for him because he is an Indian first. We should move away from regional identity, when we are talking about national politics.

When people vote in a national election, they put a stamp not on a candidate but Party's voting symble.
And in this case Kamal of BJP.
So dont you worry, he will have no other option but to vote for BJP, which is Indian party and not a regional one.

Nowhere near high enough, considering our population size.
Citations per Document is still low, H Index scores are still low.
Actually the link I posted, other region are behind but Engineering sciences is whopping big contribution.

Citations per document will increase with time. Its a gradual process. I am looking forwards to more world renowned International Journals from China and hope from India too, so that we can get benefit. American Economic Review take $ 100 for submitting a paper. :cray:

China should really focus on it so that it can challenge the dominance of US and West based Journals. It will really help us too.

See the link in Post # 52 1997-2007 result.

Read the report and then come back. Do some research first. Don't just pass blanket statements. Prove it with links.

There's nothing to prove.

The claim that India is #2 in total research output in BRICS may well be true. but it is meaningless since the more fair comparison is per capita and per unit GDP.

Nothing oxymoronic about it. It is a standardized way of comparing countries' research output.

http://www.fwf.ac.at/de/downloads/pdf/contest_between_nations.pdf

Table 1, page 2.

There's nothing to prove.

The claim that India is #2 in total research output in BRICS may well be true. but it is meaningless since the more fair comparison is per capita and per unit GDP.

Are you implying total research output of a country is meaningless??

Nothing oxymoronic about it. It is a standardized way of comparing countries' research output.

http://www.fwf.ac.at/de/downloads/pdf/contest_between_nations.pdf

Table 1, page 2.

They are citations per capita, and per unit of GDP,Is that what you were demanding??,Why didn't you mentioned that in your post before??

Are you implying total research output of a country is meaningless??

When you are comparing two countries, then some standardization metric is needed to provide a fairer comparison. Would anybody be impressed by the statement that "India produces more research papers than Switzerland does"?

That's why I gave the example of "India has more doctors than Brazil" as being meaningless.

They are citations per capita, and per unit of GDP,Is that what you were demanding??,Why didn't you mentioned that in your post before??

I did.

When you are comparing two countries, then some standardization metric is needed to provide a fairer comparison. Would anybody be impressed by the statement that "India produces more research papers than Switzerland does"?

There are no world wide standardization metric to provide a fairer comparison.All we have is this.And over all research out put does matters and it does impresses a lot of people.That's why many western Multi National companies are setting up their R&D facilities in India.

That's why I gave the example of "India has more doctors than Brazil" as being meaningless.

As far as I can see,Its not meaningless at all.But its just natural.

You didn't.

There are no world wide standardization metric to provide a fairer comparison.All we have is this.And over all research out put does matters and it does impresses a lot of people.That's why many western Multi National companies are setting up their R&D facilities in India.

Irrelevant deflection from the statement being debated.

You didn't.

It's not rocket science.

# cited papers / total population
# cited papers / GDP

Irrelevant deflection from the statement being debated.

You are the one who started the deflection from the topic.The topic was never about per capita output.You are the one who brought that here.For a country like ours its more important to diversify our field of resarch and increase the total output.Percapita output will automatically increase with our income level.Infact our percapita output is already much better than the countries with income level similar to ours.

Back
Top Bottom