What's new

Incredible India - Tourism places

Gol Gumbaz or Gola gummata, Bijapur, Karnataka in India
00014.jpg
00007.jpg
00031.jpg

I don't know why I'm tagged in this post, but I do admire India's natural landscape. Unfortunately, many can't escape the stereotypes and have to associate everything India with poverty. It's sad that the human brain is wired in such a way, and I don't want to sound like a hypocrite, because I do the same myself.

Anyhow, I'm planning on visiting India either in 2016 or 2017, any suggestions how I should plan a week long trip, or is that too short?
Post your query in indiamike.

Places to visit in Ooty
1. Botanical Gardens
This garden was laid out in 1897 by the Marquis of Tweedale and is spread over 55 acres. Lush green, well maintained lawns, rare trees species (like the cork tree which is probably the only such tree in India, the paper bark tree and the monkey puzzle tree-monkeys cannot climb this tree), a 20 million year old fossilized tree, an Italian-style garden bordering a clear pool, a vast variety of flowering bushes and plants in myriad hues (exotic and ornamental), fern house with a vast range of ferns and orchids, are some of the many highlights of this garden. A flower show along with an exhibition of rare plant species is held every year in month of May at this garden.

botanical-gardens.jpg

Image credit – Swaminathan, CC BY 2.0

Ooty_Botanical_Gardens_2.jpg
my%20photos%20050.jpg

Copy%20of%20DSC01761.JPG
DSC01769.JPG

fr1%20(7).jpg

gall_large11.jpg

Doddabetta Peak
doddabetta-peak.jpg

Pykara River
pykara-waterfall.jpg

Pykara Waterfall

Image credit – Raj, CC BY 2.0

Known as a sacred place for the Toda people, Pykara River flows through the plateau and form several cascades and waterfalls. The Pykara falls are one of the most popular tourist attractions in Ooty and are famous for the shola trees, Toda settlements and wildlife.
Ooty Lake
ooty-lake.jpg

Image credit – Aditya Banerjee, CC BY-SA 2.0

Covering an area of around 65 acres, the Ooty Lake is a manmade lake formed in 1824 under the British. It features a boathouse which offers boating facilities to the visitors and is famous for hosting boat races during the summer month of May.
Mudumalai National Park
mudumalai-national-park1.jpg

Image credit – Moorthy Gounder, CC BY 2.0

Also known as a famous Tiger Reserve, the Mudumalai National Park is a home to several wildlife and bird species. The Bengal Tiger, Leopards, Indian Bison, Asiatic Elephants and several other rare species of birds and animals can be found here.
Emerald Lake
emerald-lake1.jpg

Image credit – Sankara Subramanian, CC BY 2.0

Although the lake is off limits for the visitors, the emerald lake is located in midst of a reserve forest. The lake can be viewed via a viewpoint on the dam located nearby.
Ooty Mountain Railway
ooty-mountain-railway.jpg

Image credit – David Brossard, CC BY-SA 2.0

Declared as a UNESCO world heritage site, the railways were built by the British in 1908. The trains are still powered using the traditional steam engines.

St. Stephens Church
st.-stephens-church.jpg

Image credit – Shyamal, CC BY-SA 3.0

Built in the early 19th century, St. Stephens Church is one of the oldest churches in the Nilgiris District in Tamil Nadu. The foundation of the church was laid in 1829 and shares the date with the birthday of King George IV.
Wax World
Wax+Museum+Ooty+1.JPG

The Wax museum is housed inside a 142 year old bungalow in Ooty. Although the sculptures are not as impressive as the ones found at Madame Tussauds, but display a brief insight on the people and culture of Ooty and surrounding areas.
Deer Park
deer-park1.jpg

Image credit – Navaneeth Krishnan S, CC BY-SA 3.0

Located by the Ooty Lake, the deer park is one of the few high altitude zoos in India. The visitors get to view a variety of different deer species along with other rare animals and birds.

Places to visit in Uttarakhand
VALLEY OF FLOWERS
Valley_of_flowers_uttaranchal_full_view.JPG

valley-of-flowers-trek.jpg

Best-Time-to-visit-Valley-of-Flowers.jpg

It is known for its meadows of endemic alpine flowers and the variety of flora.

Auli

Cable car view, Auli

2.jpg
Auli_cable_car.jpg

40775eee-095b-4c91-9253-947eeb21e9f0IMG_1244.JPG

Auli lies on the way to Badrinath. Auli is surrounded by coniferous and oak forests, with a panoramic view of the lofty peaks of the greatest mountain range in the world, the Himalayas.

ROOPKUND (Mystery lake of skeletons)

The-skeleton-lake-of-roopkund-india.jpg

A shallow lake, having a depth of about 2 metres, Roopkund has attracted attention by having large quantity of human skeletal remains easily visible at its bottom when snow melts.

MUSSORIE
Tourism is the most significant segment of Mussoorie’s economy. It has a nature walk known as “Camel’s Back Road. Kempty Falls is a nice picnic spot. Company Garden is popular tourist destination. Happy Valley has a small Tibetan temple. This was the first Tibetan temple built in India. The temple was constructed in 1960 by the Tibetan refugees. Lal Tibba is another tourist spot of Mussoorie. Picturesque Dhanaulti hill station is about 32 kilometres from Mussoorie. Mussoorie also had India’s largest roller skating rink.
gun-hill-mussoorie.jpg
shareiq-471-1445935946-228626-jpg-destreviewimages-933x700-1445935945.jpg
Mussoorie-10485-3-jpg-destreviewimages-933x700-1324603906.jpg

From Gunhill- Posted by Jatin Lakhesar

.Nainital (The city of lakes)

Nainital is set in a valley containing a pear-shaped lake, approximately two miles in circumference, and surrounded by mountains, of which the highest are Naina (2,615 m (8,579 ft)) on the north, Deopatha (2,438 m (7,999 ft)) on the west, and Ayarpatha (2,278 m (7,474 ft)) on the
nainital.jpg

bhimtal-lake-nainital.jpg

Nainital-during-winters.jpg
35.jpg

KASAUNI
Town%20of%20Kausani.JPG

Kausani Tea Farms
Kausani-Tea-Estate3.jpg

Ranikhet
Ranikhet gets snowfall in the winter season, mainly in the months of December, January and February. But in the rest of the months the weather of Ranikhet remains pleasant.The pine, oak, and deodar forests host an array of wildlife including leopard, leopard cat, mountain goat, barking deer, sambar, pine marten, Indian hare, red-faced monkey, jackal, langur, red fox, and porcupine.
Ranikhet.jpg
Ranikhet.jpg
Ranikhet1_674x369.jpg

18 Best Hill Stations in Uttarakhand - Top Hill Stations in Uttaranchal - Tripoto
CC-
Prajesh Rawat

CAT3voTUMAAn9p5.png

Keibul Lamjao National Park, Manipur

World's only floating national park.

Loktak-Lake_sh-patgiri_low-rez.jpg

Loktak Lake, Manipur

eden-of-north-east-the-dzukou-valley-on-the-border-of-nagaland-and-manipur.img

Dzukou Valley, Nagaland

Dzukou-Naga.jpg

Dzukou Valley, Nagaland

Zuluk2.jpg

Zuluk, Sikkim (Zuluk was once part of the Old Silk Route)

zuluk.jpg

Zuluk, Sikkim

Red_panda_sikkim.jpg

Red Pandas of Sikkim

_DSC1757-L.jpg

Rhododendron flower of Sikkim

ZIRO MUSIC FESTIVAL 2014 AFTERMOVIE

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom