What's new

Inbred Nation

Gotra will only cover father side of the relations. Marrying mother's brother's daughter is common in India especially in South. This is also close blood relationship and resulting in same type of issues described by OP. But nowadays people are well aware of the issues with this type of relations and avoiding in many families.

Wrong.
In my home state Haryana, we check the gotras of mother, father, grandmother(daadi as well as naani) and immediate neighbors, and if the other partner happens to be of any of the Gotra, then he/she automatically becomes our brother/sister and therefore unfit to be married with.

why does pakistan go extreme in everything ? just coz cousin marriage is allowed doesn't mean you HAVE to do it or should go overboard with it why marry cousins when you can marry outside your gene pool ? marrying a non-relative is more likely to give healthier children aswell as make new relations and extend your family.This is yet another bad effect partly resulting from illiteracy and lack of education.

why does pakistan go extreme in everything ? just coz cousin marriage is allowed doesn't mean you HAVE to do it or should go overboard with it why marry cousins when you can marry outside your gene pool ? marrying a non-relative is more likely to give healthier children aswell as make new relations and extend your family.This is yet another bad effect partly resulting from illiteracy and lack of education.

There is no way you can tell apart a child whose parents are cousins from a child whose parents are not cousins. Go to a school in Lahore and visit the classes, and tell me if you can tell them apart.

My classmate from college here has parents who are 1st cousins. Today he is a successful doctor here in the U.S. and made almost perfect scores on his medical licensing exam. He is more intelligent than the Americans here and everyone in his hospital gets along with him.

So please be a little open-minded and dont go crazy over this issue. Cousin marriages have been going on for thousands of years in this world. My parents are not cousins, but I dont look down on anyone whose parents are cousins, or who would want to get married to their cousin. A cousin is not your sister or brother.

Sorta related,

Although Pakistani parents produce just 3.4 per cent of the babies born in Britain that also accounts for 30 per cent of children born with genetic illnesses, researchers claim. The risks of inbreeding rise sharply if the practice is repeated over several generations.

The Birmingham Primary Care Trust has estimated that one in 10 children born to first-cousin marriages either dies in infancy or suffers serious disability as a result of recessive genetic disorders.

Inbreeding 'causing rise in birth defects' - Health News, Health & Families - The Independent

@Omar:

No royalty is greater than the royal Pharaohs. Their suffering is known to the whole world.

About the kids going on to become doctors - Success in profession or academics is no scale for healthy genes.

Ashkanazi Jews have had inter-relation marriages for over a thousand years. Academically, they are considered very smart. Genetically, they are considered very weak. Albert Einstein was one of the smartest men to have ever lived, well, he suffered from autism (not saying it was because of inter-relation marriage, but it shows smartness is not a scale to gauge the health of the genes).

My parents are not cousins,

Clearly an argument suggesting that genetic abnormalities are not restricted to cousin marriages.

All anyone in Pakistan who wants to promote an idiot extremist idea, has to do is to add Islam before the idea -- man, if two Rakha are 100 is even better, right? Ahihra baby, you know how much hate that whole hellfire thing, right? Shake your azz, watch yourself...

A cousin is not your sister or brother.
Maashallah - Halal baby, go for it -- Sure it's ethical, It's "Islamic"

Clearly an argument suggesting that genetic abnormalities are not restricted to cousin marriages.

All anyone in Pakistan who wants to promote an idiot extremist idea, has to do is to add Islam before the idea -- man, if two Rakha are 100 is even better, right? Ahihra baby, you know how much hate that whole hellfire thing, right? Shake your azz, watch yourself...

Maashallah - Halal baby, go for it -- Sure it's ethical, It's "Islamic"

Muse: This is not a published study, but an informal study of blood types indicated that 25-30% percent of all children born in rural Punjab in the seventies were not the offspring of the married parents. Due to the troublesome nature of these findings, the authors were suitably "encouraged" not to publish the findings. So while the incidence of cousin marriages may be high, please rest assured that there is plenty of genetic mixing going on in Pakistan just like any human population.

Islam brigade seems to have made it to the thread - lets welcome them -- In Islam, cousin marriage is permissible, so are 4 wives, we want to promote that as well?? Ask mothers how they would like that?

Since Omar1984 did bring that argument up, yes cousin marriage is Halaal allowed. But 'Halaal' gives us a lot of latitude - there are a lot of things that are Halal but still Islamically undesirable. The thing to understand is that Islamic teachings work like this: "action A is permissible" followed by "but if you did action B it would be better". There's always this invitation to a better alternative. E. g. yes it is permissible to avenge a wrong, but forgiveness is better. When it comes to marriage, there is the Hukm of preferring the deen over wealth, social position, lineage etc, and that automatically broadens your choice from your relatives to everybody you've interacted with. I invite you to look at the examples of the Last messenger SAW and His SaHaabah RA - of the top of my head the ratio of marriage with non-relatives to relatives is comfortably over 10:1. That should be instructive to Muslims. Well most of us do pretend to be Muslims anyway, and these are examples worth looking at.

It feels like its practiced in more than 63% of the people. There should have been a statistic if the trend is lessening or not and at what pace.

it used to take place in ancient Egypt..they also suffered from diseases

I am not in favor or against the topic but just for argument's sake what Most of you are saying is there is no disease if the couples marry outside there family cause i can prove all of u wrong by millions of examples.

Muse: This is not a published study, but an informal study of blood types indicated that 25-30% percent of all children born in rural Punjab in the seventies were not the offspring of the married parents. Due to the troublesome nature of these findings, the authors were suitably "encouraged" not to publish the findings. So while the incidence of cousin marriages may be high, please rest assured that there is plenty of genetic mixing going on in Pakistan just like any human population.

I can totally understand that a) the publishing of that study could've ruffled more than a few feathers, and b) this study could've had a rather low confidence interval. Still, as a social study the findings would have been very significant. Saying sex outside marriage doesn't happen won't nullify the fact that it does happen, but it sure does put an end to an understanding on how society works in those parts.

I am not in favor or against the topic but just for argument's sake what Most of you are saying is there is no disease if the couples marry outside there family cause i can prove all of u wrong by millions of examples.

The chances are still low... But when it comes to children, usually people think in terms of keeping the chances extremely low.

though i agree with the article but hey even intermarrying is not bad if the couple likes each other my family has a lot of intermarrying my dad & my mom are first cousins both my paternal & maternal is the same family .

Back
Top Bottom