truthfollower

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
In pictures: The life of Ndakasi, a gorilla who went viral

Ndakasi with her caretaker Andre Bauma, before dying days later

IMAGE SOURCE,GETTY IMAGES
Image caption,Ndakasi with her caretaker Andre Bauma, before her death days later
Ndakasi, a beloved mountain gorilla who went viral after posing for a relaxed selfie with rangers, has died after a long illness aged 14.
She passed away in the arms of one of the rangers who rescued her as a baby, Andre Bauma, at a gorilla orphanage at Virunga - Africa's oldest national park - in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
Mr Bauma rescued Ndakasi as a two-month-old in 2007 after poachers killed her parents. Ndakasi was still clinging to her dead mother when they found her.
With no relatives, rangers decided it was too unsafe to let Ndakasi back out into the wild. She was raised at the orphanage, where Mr Bauma is the manager.
Ndakasi shot to global fame in 2019 when she and another female mountain gorilla, Ndeze, photobombed a selfie taken by another ranger.
They were trying to imitate the rangers who raised them, a park official said.

Gorillas posing for selfie in Virunga National Park, DR Congo

IMAGE SOURCE,RANGER MATHIEU SHAMAVU
Image caption,In the selfie, the gorillas were apparently trying to imitate humans
The rangers and gorillas had grown close. Speaking to the BBC in 2014, Mr Bauma said he loved Ndakasi as if she were his daughter.
"We shared the same bed, I played with her, I fed her… I can say I am her mother."
Andre Bauma with Ndakasi

IMAGE SOURCE,VIRUNGA NATIONAL PARK
Mountain gorillas live mostly in forests in national parks in Uganda, Rwanda and Congo. But climate change, poachers and human encroachment pose threats to their survival.
Eastern DR Congo, where Virunga is located, is mired in conflict between the government and various armed groups. Some of these armed groups are based in the park, where they often poach animals.
Ndakasi

Image caption,Ndakasi and Ndeze - described as her "partner-in-crime" by staff at the orphanage - as children
Ndakasi

Image caption,The life of Ndakasi, an endangered mountain gorilla, was well documented
On Thursday, Mr Bauma said that getting to know Ndakasi had "helped me to understand the connection between humans and great apes and why we should do everything in our power to protect them".
"I loved her like a child," he said, adding: "Her cheerful personality brought a smile to my face every time I interacted with her."

Andre Bauma with his adopted gorilla daughter

IMAGE SOURCE,NETFLIX
All images are subject to copyright.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-58826986

Rip
I hope it ain't contagious and lead to outbreak like the Ebola virus did to low land gorillas couple of years ago

In pictures: The life of Ndakasi, a gorilla who went viral

Ndakasi with her caretaker Andre Bauma, before dying days later

IMAGE SOURCE,GETTY IMAGES
Image caption,Ndakasi with her caretaker Andre Bauma, before her death days later
Ndakasi, a beloved mountain gorilla who went viral after posing for a relaxed selfie with rangers, has died after a long illness aged 14.
She passed away in the arms of one of the rangers who rescued her as a baby, Andre Bauma, at a gorilla orphanage at Virunga - Africa's oldest national park - in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
Mr Bauma rescued Ndakasi as a two-month-old in 2007 after poachers killed her parents. Ndakasi was still clinging to her dead mother when they found her.
With no relatives, rangers decided it was too unsafe to let Ndakasi back out into the wild. She was raised at the orphanage, where Mr Bauma is the manager.
Ndakasi shot to global fame in 2019 when she and another female mountain gorilla, Ndeze, photobombed a selfie taken by another ranger.
They were trying to imitate the rangers who raised them, a park official said.

Gorillas posing for selfie in Virunga National Park, DR Congo

IMAGE SOURCE,RANGER MATHIEU SHAMAVU
Image caption,In the selfie, the gorillas were apparently trying to imitate humans
The rangers and gorillas had grown close. Speaking to the BBC in 2014, Mr Bauma said he loved Ndakasi as if she were his daughter.
"We shared the same bed, I played with her, I fed her… I can say I am her mother."
Andre Bauma with Ndakasi

Mountain gorillas live mostly in forests in national parks in Uganda, Rwanda and Congo. But climate change, poachers and human encroachment pose threats to their survival.
Eastern DR Congo, where Virunga is located, is mired in conflict between the government and various armed groups. Some of these armed groups are based in the park, where they often poach animals.
Ndakasi

Image caption,Ndakasi and Ndeze - described as her "partner-in-crime" by staff at the orphanage - as children
Ndakasi

Image caption,The life of Ndakasi, an endangered mountain gorilla, was well documented
On Thursday, Mr Bauma said that getting to know Ndakasi had "helped me to understand the connection between humans and great apes and why we should do everything in our power to protect them".
"I loved her like a child," he said, adding: "Her cheerful personality brought a smile to my face every time I interacted with her."

Andre Bauma with his adopted gorilla daughter

IMAGE SOURCE,NETFLIX
All images are subject to copyright.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-58826986

Higher primates and Dolphins are highly intelligent.

Back
Top Bottom