What's new

In Pictures: Kitchen that feeds 100,000 daily

@Srinivas I know that and I've edited my Post. Apparently, i'm going to get Infraction for my edited post. :eek: I was thought a caplet in school "foolishness and pride goes hand in hand", people like Professional Troll, proves it again and again. :hitwall:

@Srinivas I know that and I've edited my Post. Apparently, i'm going to get Infraction for my edited post. :eek: I was thought a caplet in school "foolishness and pride goes hand in hand", people like Professional Troll, proves it again and again. :hitwall:

I also edited my post but it looks funny .... :lol:

Trust me - it was one of the best experiences of my life. I did not do much of Sewa - only distributed some food and finally had some. But the surprising thing is - nobody asked who I was, not even what my name was! :)

The place gets very noisy in the afternoon as the ladies come in larger numbers :D Loads of fun. I intend to do the cleaning the water body once in the near future. As far as the complex is concerned - it is absolutely clean. A million times cleaner than the city of Amritsar itself :)

There are other trusts like Akshaya Patra but they are limited to students of Government schools(especially Anganwadi schools). But langars are open to everyone.

Professional Troll, there are similarities between almost all the religions. Like you, I don't see everything from the lenses of Religion. Therefore, i'm not getting in those similarities and post a loathe of crap like you and say your Prophet has adopted a lot of tings from spirit of that/those religions.

You don't have IOTA of knowledge about Sikhism. Therefore, refrain from Posting your Mental Diarrhea on this thread.
:crazy:

Sat Sri Akal :o:
You need to discuss the post if you want to. But instead if you attack the poster then you will be REPORTED. I am letting you off with a warning because I owe something to Gen Arora.

You need to discuss the post if you want to. But instead if you attack the poster then you will be REPORTED. I am letting you off with a warning because I owe something to Gen Arora.

I've several times solicited you to spare me/us from your Mental Dehaeri but in vain. I once asked you to at least give some respect to your Professional Title but that too fell on deaf ears. :sarcastic:

Today, I called Spade a Spade/Troll a Troll. If my post is against forums norms, instead of issuing warnings/fatwas to me feel free to USE THE REPORT BUTTON. :lol:. I don't give hoot to what you owe to someone :lol:

All of that is true. Everybody is welcome at the Guru ka Langar; even Atheists. I had a friend (a professed atheist) who accompanied me. He made it a point to say that to one of the Sewadaars only to be told softly with a smile "Does that make you any different or any less than anyone else here?" :-)
Eating at any Langar is an experience to remember. Must be the same at "Daata Darbar" in Lahore.
Wish I could do that too.

Langar at Daata Darbar is not organized & disciplined like this one.

Last edited:
Langar at Daata Darbar is not organized like this one.

Maybe its not so organised as this one; but in my eyes and mind, it is as significant. I wish I could go there and be part of it. Since I cannot cook; maybe I should work to wash things there, which I can do very well. At least, that is what my wife tells me ! :-)

In any case, the idea that people come together to cook, serve and eat regardless of religion, creed, community, gender or social standing. Even the small Dargahs organise that kind of community meals during Urs. Its an admirably managed activity. I've enjoyed being part of some.

Maybe its not so organised as this one; but in my eyes and mind, it is as significant. I wish I could go there and be part of it. Since I cannot cook; maybe I should work to wash things there, which I can do very well. At least, that is what my wife tells me ! :-)

In any case, the idea that people come together to cook, serve and eat regardless of religion, creed, community, gender or social standing. Even the small Dargahs organise that kind of community meals during Urs. Its an admirably managed activity. I've enjoyed being part of some.

Maybe i am wrong as i have been there only 2 or 3 time -- but as per my experience people buy cooked food (mostly rice or daal roti) or sweets from near by shops and distribute it there and mostly it's in polythene bags. So, you don't need to wash dishes, however you should be strong enough make your way to langar because there is no concept of line. I don't know if there are any special organization in days of urs.

Maybe i am wrong as i have been there only 2 or 3 time -- but as per my experience people buy cooked food (mostly rice or daal roti) or sweets from near by shops and distribute it there and mostly it's in polythene bags. So, you don't need to wash dishes, however you should be strong enough make your way to langar because there is no concept of line. I don't know if there are any special organization in days of urs.

Thanks for explaining.
In the Indian Urs (the ones that I've seen) the food is cooked in big Handis, usually just a Biryani. People sit down in lines. Then Plates made of (disposable) dried leaf pattas, are distributed, one in front of each person and the food served. Some people may bring some plates of their own, while the beggars who usually hang around the area may bring Katoras, but that is more to do with saving up some of the food for later. People contribute mostly in the form of the material used to prepare the meals while some contributions come in cash form. Only the cooking utensils/Handis need to be washed later.

A similar system is used in community meals served at temples called Bhandaras. Of course the Bhandaras and meals served at the Urs happen on certain Feast-Days, while the Langar at the Harmandir Sahab is a daily affair; which needs different methods of management.

About the Leaf plates; earlier they used to be made of pattas, kind of stitched together with pieces of twigs. Now they are made of patta layers, pressed together in hydraulic presses. Now that is progress !

Unfortunately they don't serve non veg here! But the veg is even better!
eating-53.gif

I know I was only talking about roti, I can cook damn good beef curry myself but I wont mind eating veggies if came with that roti

Professional Troll, there are similarities between almost all the religions. Like you, I don't see everything from the lenses of Religion. Therefore, i'm not getting in those similarities and post a loathe of crap like you and say your Prophet has adopted a lot of tings from spirit of that/those religions.

You don't have IOTA of knowledge about Sikhism. Therefore, refrain from Posting your Mental Diarrhea on this thread.
:crazy:

Sat Sri Akal :o:

I gave heard that Name Ram appears in Guru Granth Sahib for thousands of Time.

I gave heard that Name Ram appears in Guru Granth Sahib for thousands of Time.
The basic principle of Sikhism
God is One. He is the Supreme Truth. He the Creator, is without fear and without hate. He is immortal. He is neither born and nor does He die.He is indescribable, inestimable, indubitable, infallible, intangible, imperishable, immutable, immortal, immaculate, immanent, unconquerable, unique, formless, fearless, deathless, timeless, ageless, compassionate, omnipresent and creator of all. "There is only the One Supreme Lord; there is no other at all. Spirit, soul and body, all belong to Him; whatever pleases His Will, comes to pass"

So the thing you are trying to point is just a linguistic usage of Ram to portray god.It basically was up to the linguistic prowess of the gurus and the sants.Guru Granth Sahib has words and sentences written in Sanskrit,Farsi,Arabic,Marathi.

with the thread headline

The thread topic is :

In Pictures: Kitchen that feeds 100,000 daily

What do you disagree with ? The figures being fed ?

There is no comparison or mention of any other kitchen in the title .

Back
Top Bottom