What's new

In-camera briefing on buying French submarines demanded

thats our bad luck as a nation people on driving seat only think about themselves and tehy jump out (or rescued by our real enemies) unhurt as soon as they see a danger ahead... then live rest of their lives in enemies shelters
i think we will never learn a lesson or wake up unless we see someone gets punished infront of our eyes for his sins, like Saudies do to drug traffickers we must do the same to theives anf betrayers of Pakistan

Wow wat blow but always rem it is still better then having nothing we must bulid up the navy ASAP!

thats our bad luck as a nation people on driving seat only think about themselves and tehy jump out (or rescued by our real enemies) unhurt as soon as they see a danger ahead... then live rest of their lives in enemies shelters
i think we will never learn a lesson or wake up unless we see someone gets punished infront of our eyes for his sins, like Saudies do to drug traffickers we must do the same to theives anf betrayers of Pakistan

Politicians don't care about Pakistan, when the results of their ****-ups start to surface they would blame it on army.
They don't care how many soldiers would be at risk just for their selfish decisions.
It is always traitors which hurt Pakistan army more than enimies.

Imagine we are buying inferior product with higher price! why???
Where does the larger interest lies ???????????????

Updated at: 2249 PST, Thursday, July 30, 2009
In-camera briefing on buying French submarines demanded ISLAMABAD: The opposition party, Pakistan Muslim League-Quaid (PML-Q) in the Upper House on Thursday demanded an in-camera briefing to the senators on the government plan to buy submarines from France instead of Germany.

Senator Jamal Leghari of the former ruling PML-Q while speaking on a point of order strongly opposed to government plan to buy submarines from France instead of Germany at a costly price.

He informed that Pakistan Navy had sent a summary to the President recommending buying submarines from Germany, but he regretted that the President rejected the summary and decided to purchase these from France.

He said that there would be one billion rupees loss to the national exchequer to go into agreement with France for purchasing the marines instead of Germany. He said that Germany has a latest technology and also a cheapest offer against the French old technology, which would also be costly. Therefore, he added that there was not need to undertake new agreement with France.

Pakistan had agreed to buy three Type 214 German submarines under deal worth more than $1 billion (773.7 million euros) that the two countries were expected to sign last year.

Leghari demanded an in-camera briefing of the Navel Chief to the Senate on buying the submarines saying that the House should betaken into confidence before going into any agreement with the French government.

Another senator of the PML-Q, Tariq Azeem also backed the demand saying that it was an important issue and the house should be taken on board in the in-camera briefing.

The presiding officer Tahir Hussain Mashadi, however, referred the matter to the Defence Committee of the House for further discussion, because of the absence of the minister concerned as well as Leader of the House at that time.

Friendly opposition PML-N is missing from the scene as usual.

i think if war goes pakistan will gurt not zardari he takes money from this deal and run away to foreign i only know great politician zulfiqar bhutto even benazir was for some extent was corrupt remember agost deal which happend in his govt im sure she knows about that but benazir was second best politician pakistan got any way let us come to the topic i hope COAS will highlight it and media till now media have did nothing on this regard i hope they should let the people know truth it willl for sure make some pressure on zardari i hope they do a show in it and bring navy analyst and ask him what should pn buy and what is best for us im sure he will go for U 214

I also think it has to do with the 'complete package' that France could offer. Looks like Zardari doesn't want the recently good relations with France to take a back step. Having said that, we shouldn't be spending this money for appeasement. Pakistan comes first and it is in our interest to get the German subs because they offer better quality.

Pakistan first please :pakistan:

Commenting on issues of national interests without having political insight is something stupid. This decision might have some advantage for Pakistan, as France has assured transfer of civilian nuclear technology. There may be a link to that deal. My some of the fellows are inviting military to intervene in the current political set up, just because president has decided to purchase submarines from France instead of Germany. Well done, perhaps you all have forgotten about Musharraf’s regime.

France has assured transfer of civilian nuclear technology.

Really? - Perhaps you may direct us to some official statement by France in this regard.

The so called war on terror will slowly transform and it can be a danger to Pakistan and should it ever become a danger to Pakistan, no Western Power will side with Pakistan - that's just the way it is.

Dr. Sidiqqa Agha has a Op/Ed piece in the DAWN, which suggests that the answer to these kinds of questions lies in institutionalizing technical know-how, not just for the navy, but for the entire defence establishment; I would suggest we focus on these.

Pakistanis must be free and cannot be free so long as as we depend on others for such a basic thing as the defence of our freedom.

Institutionalizing technical know-how may not appear sexy, it may seem boring, but it is not, it's very exciting indeed, the prospect that we may defend our freedom by ourselves is a message not to the world, but more importantly to Pakistanis that projects our will to survive, go from strength to strength.

Should there be those who imagine that this means that we should not cooperate with others, nothing could be further from what is intended, we are merely suggesting that we face reality and prepare for the worst, even as we work to prevent such a eventuality.

Nuclear Technology to Pakistan..Forget it..Thanks to Dr AQ Khan Network as well as due to Islamic Status of Pakistan.Nobody will help us except China as far as Nuclear Field is concerned.

I also think it has to do with the 'complete package' that France could offer. Looks like Zardari doesn't want the recently good relations with France to take a back step. Having said that, we shouldn't be spending this money for appeasement. Pakistan comes first and it is in our interest to get the German subs because they offer better quality.

Pakistan first please :pakistan:
add JF-17s Avionics and M-88 engine to that as well

The West does not have a monopoly on brilliant people, or on innovation - however; brilliant peoples are created by a education system that is focused on imparting and creating knowledge and innovation too, relies on a infrastructure of research laboratories, open discussion and transfer of knowledge among researchers, industrial engineers, academicians key govt-private players whose endeavour is geared towards commercializing the fruits of this innovation - like a virtuous circle of it's own, with Pakistanis freedom as the ultimate end.

Muse,

When Jahils are in-charge of running the educational system and when our President himself has no idea about burning the midnight oil in libraries toiling over difficult subject matter, then why is it that we expect the Pakistani nation to have what it takes to innovate and advance educationally?

Currently Pakistan is going through immense self-destruction (which in a way is a catharsis over the long term). I am not sure if us Pakistanis have realized where we as a nation want to go. Until that happens, education will remain a distant priority.

I am not sure if us Pakistanis have realized where we as a nation want to go. Until that happens, education will remain a distant priority

Blain:

We should never, NEVER, rely on large scale consensus, because it is rarely achieved and in Pakistan, it's pointless. Instead, once a idea has been identified as beneficial and necessary, it should be acted on.

There is a great Lie that has been repeated so often that we now think it is truth - and that Lie is that great things are created by majorities - it is exactly the opposite.

Should you find the time, I would urge you read, "The Logic of Collective Action" by Dr. Mansur Olson - for that matter anything by Mancur Olson.

"Logic of Collective Action" demonstrates empirically when it is that actions by large majorities, even when they can be moved to action, are more vulnerable to failure and why actions by minorities are more likely to succeed.

We do not need to begin with hundred of thousands of students in the advanced sciences, just a couple of thousand, focused, who in turn train 16,000, who in turn train more than 150,000.

As with anything, it's leadership (WILL) and determination that counts, not large numbers

Back
Top Bottom