What's new

In a first, Modi-Merkel to address joint cabinet meeting

Ah, I had, strangely, missed that. But the point remains- he has visited Germany (multiple times), Russia, France and Ireland (Ireland for god's sake!!) all before he visited the UK. This, as @Spectre sir has pointed out, is a blatant diplomatic snub, if ever there was one.

Of course it is, but I think one of the reason is UK hosts a huge population of Pakistani Kashmiris and he didn't wanted first few visits to catch a bad press, I mean you do see protests against him on his every visit but UK is a tricky place.

Nothing like that - I am an absolute novice on Defense Matters, weapon systems, special forces and so on. I have learnt a lot from you in this regard.
We were all novices in such areas at some point sir but I am sure I will be asking for your views on such matters in no time ;)

Just that I had an advantage of working in an embassy so was bit more clued in regarding diplomatic matters.
How interesting! I'm sure you saw a lot of the nitty gritty that goes into such matters then. My own experience,whilst not in any diplomatic setting, is that being "behind the scenes" as it were, simply illustrates that we are all human and things are far more dysfunctional under the surface than we had ever thought possible.

Last edited:
Of course it is, but I think one of the reason is UK hosts a huge population of Pakistani Kashmiris and he didn't wanted first few visits to catch a bad press, I mean you do see protests against him on his every visit but UK is a tricky place.

Modi is a pro at Media management - Got to give it to him. The point you put across is very pertinent - however his visits are carefully stage managed.

Prepare yourself for another "million man march"!

Seriously though, I think it is clearly a combination of factors- perhaps the one you have illustrated, elections in the UK, UK meddling in Afghanistan etc

Having said that, that Modi went to Ireland before the UK is incredibly telling, we are not going to see much hugging between Cameron and him in my opinion. This is a relationship of necessity but not exactly a "storybook romance".

Modi is a pro at Media management - Got to give it to him. The point you put across is very pertinent - however his visits are carefully stage managed.
Yes they are managed quite carefully.

I don't know how big a factor that was to be honest. Modi's supporters in the UK (both his personal ones and those who support him on account of him being the PM of India) are always going to MASSIVELY outnumber any such clowns. Just like with the POTUS, I think the Indian populace and establishment are accustomed to some sort of protest wherever the PM of India is to go- for one reason or another.

Having said that, that Modi went to Ireland before the UK is incredibly telling, we are not going to see much hugging between Cameron and him in my opinion. This is a relationship of necessity but not exactly a "storybook romance

Oh Dear! Precisely the opposite - Cameron and Modi are going to go over - board with brotherly affections. I think the issues were sorted out in NY.

I don't know how big a factor that was to be honest. Modi's supporters in the UK (both his personal ones and those who support him on account of him being the PM of India) are always going to MASSIVELY outnumber any such clowns. Just like with the POTUS, I think the Indian populace and establishment are accustomed to some sort of protest wherever the PM of India is to go- for one reason or another.

UK Visit will be very image positive for India and it is a major platform to use the power of Indian Disapora to put across a few points to UK Govt. Anyway there are lot of highly placed people in UK who are sympathetic to Indian concerns but were balanced out by Pakistani Lobby. This visit is going to change the equation for sometime to come.

That is why I said @ranjeet is absolutely right - This was a tricky visit which required lot of diplomatic legwork and behind the scenes management.

it is a major platform to use the power of Indian Disapora to put across a few points to UK Govt.
If it is anything like the Madison Square Garden even then this will be a very valid point to have made. I had read a lot of commentary about that event last year and it certainly opened the eyes of the American public, media and politicians to the "arrival" of India on the global stage. It was a rude awakening for many indeed.

There is this website about Modi's visit to UK

UK WELCOMES MODI - INDEX

With the Prime Minister of India, Shri Narendra Modi, due to visit the United Kingdom later this year, the largest Indian diaspora in the world is eagerly waiting in anticipation to deliver the loudest, greatest and most vibrant welcome he has seen outside of India. UKWelcomesModi will bring together individuals from the 1.6 million-strong Indian community in Britain- from all backgrounds, generations and regions – to celebrate two great nations with one glorious future. It is the Diwali event for the family this year- with a cultural showcase featuring the best of Indian and British talent; a landmark speech to be delivered by Prime Minister Modi and a grand finale featuring the biggest fireworks display in the whole country.

UKWelcomesModi pays tribute to the deep ties between India and the UK, highlighting the formidable contribution made by members of the Indian diaspora in all walks of British life. Prime Minister Modi’s already iconic leadership has made waves across the world. UKWeclomesModi is honoured to host this new global visionary who will give us a glimpse of India in years to come as it forges new paradigm of growth and success for not just Asia, but the rest of the world too. Organised by the Europe India Forum and in partnership with Indian cultural and community organisations across the country, the event is set to be the highlight of 2015. The Europe India Forum is a not for profit organisation promoting Europe-India relations for communities, by communities.

There is this website about Modi's visit to UK

UK WELCOMES MODI - INDEX

With the Prime Minister of India, Shri Narendra Modi, due to visit the United Kingdom later this year, the largest Indian diaspora in the world is eagerly waiting in anticipation to deliver the loudest, greatest and most vibrant welcome he has seen outside of India. UKWelcomesModi will bring together individuals from the 1.6 million-strong Indian community in Britain- from all backgrounds, generations and regions – to celebrate two great nations with one glorious future. It is the Diwali event for the family this year- with a cultural showcase featuring the best of Indian and British talent; a landmark speech to be delivered by Prime Minister Modi and a grand finale featuring the biggest fireworks display in the whole country.

UKWelcomesModi pays tribute to the deep ties between India and the UK, highlighting the formidable contribution made by members of the Indian diaspora in all walks of British life. Prime Minister Modi’s already iconic leadership has made waves across the world. UKWeclomesModi is honoured to host this new global visionary who will give us a glimpse of India in years to come as it forges new paradigm of growth and success for not just Asia, but the rest of the world too. Organised by the Europe India Forum and in partnership with Indian cultural and community organisations across the country, the event is set to be the highlight of 2015. The Europe India Forum is a not for profit organisation promoting Europe-India relations for communities, by communities.
How the visit has been unknown to me for this long I will never know......

I am genuinely considering going down for the day, if only to get an opportunity to see some SPG personnel in person.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom