What's new

In a first, Modi-Merkel to address joint cabinet meeting

But it signifies that backroom negotiations have yielded something significant at last and it culminates in the form of Head of State's visit.
Indeed but this is a bit of a chicken and egg situation anyway. It is like when CEOs meet to sign strategic accords, one cannot claim they have carried out all the relevant due diligence or work behind the scenes themselves but their leadership and oversight has guided such a move. So the CEOs are there for the cameras and signing of accords but that is for external consumption more than anything tangible at that moment.

Fits well with the relative rebuffing of UK by India? Ireland visit before UK was a big a snub in diplomacy as it can get.
Well put, to even the untrained eye it is apparent the GoI is trying to avoid the UK.

Why none of these so-called "journalists" have addressed this matter nor questioned the government on this matter is a mystery.

Defence co operation and agreements are on the agenda.

Gone are the days when Germany,France and UK used to hate each other.

When it comes to dealing with eastern nations they co operate under the group called EU.

Defence co operation and agreements are on the agenda.

Gone are the days when Germany,France and UK used to hate each other.

When it comes to dealing with eastern nations they co operate under the group called EU.

Well put, to even the untrained eye it is apparent the GoI is trying to avoid the UK.

Why none of these so-called "journalists" have addressed this matter nor questioned the government on this matter is a mystery.

I am not sure and this is just my speculation but Euro-Fighter rejection despite frequent enticements may have played a part in subsequent UK actions against India's interest. I remember Brits were pissed at India and their is nothing more embarrassing to them then getting beaten by French!! May be they took it too personally?:angel:

The UK is on the brink of removing itself from this Union and France and Germany have very different perspective on a number of issues.

I am not sure and this is just my speculation but Euro-Fighter rejection despite frequent enticements may have played a part in subsequent UK actions against India's interest. I remember Brits were pissed at India and their is nothing more embarrassing to them then getting beaten by French!! May be they took it too personally?:angel:
I can't believe the British foreign service would be THIS immature, they are meant to have a "stiff upper lip". They lost out on, what, $5 billion (directly for the UK)?

And vice versa.

To be fair, the visit of Modi last year was pretty special (in terms of tangible benefits for both sides).

Interesting to me (as a Brit), Modi has visited France, Ireland, Russia and Germany (multiple times now) but is still yet to visit the UK. I understand the UK had elections this year and I am certain that a visit will take place in the next 18 months but Modi (and his Govt) are clearly not giving much importance to this tiny island in the N.Alantic that too despite a huge NRI/ex-pat community here which would give him a considerable welcome (maybe matching Madison Square Garden).

Most telling.

Expect further mud-slinging by the Guardian, BBC and their ilk.....

Modi is visiting UK next month
Indian PM Narendra Modi to visit UK: Deadline looms for Wembley Stadium ticket purchases

+ @Spectre there must be some legitimacy to this story/narrative considering the way the GoI has acted towards the UK. The NSA must be the one pulling the strings in this case.

It is 110% legitimate - not widely commented on for obvious reasons. India has for now adopted hands off policy on Afganishtan - we are in wait and watch mode. Let Ghani indulge himself as much as he wants.

I can't believe the British foreign service would be THIS immature, they are meant to have a "stiff upper lip". They lost out on, what, $5 billion (directly for the UK)?

These are the days of Football Hooligans not of Stiff Upper Lip Etonians :)

Coming to the point - Again my personal belief is that this was more of an emotive response rather than a logical one. Countries regularly loose their composure in cases where their is historical bitterness. France/UK, India/Pak, China/Taiwan. China for example is masterful in diplomacy but they often loose their shit when it comes to Taiwan

+ @Spectre Britain (again, despite the MASSIVE NRI/ex-pat community) has always lagged behind the rest of Europe in terms of ties with India. I remember reading a few years ago that the UK traded with India less than BELGIUM. I find this almost inexplicable unless you factor in the Pakistani community here in the UK. I know (from personal experience how much the political parties court the Pakistani vote base here and it seems this is shaping our foreign policy too...

And vice versa.

To be fair, the visit of Modi last year was pretty special (in terms of tangible benefits for both sides).

Interesting to me (as a Brit), Modi has visited France, Ireland, Russia and Germany (multiple times now) but is still yet to visit the UK. I understand the UK had elections this year and I am certain that a visit will take place in the next 18 months but Modi (and his Govt) are clearly not giving much importance to this tiny island in the N.Alantic that too despite a huge NRI/ex-pat community here which would give him a considerable welcome (maybe matching Madison Square Garden).

Most telling.

Expect further mud-slinging by the Guardian, BBC and their ilk.....
@Abingdonboy Modi is visiting UK next month...& will be addressing biggest ever NRI crowd at Wembley stadium on the 13th of Nov.
Indian PM Narendra Modi to visit UK: Deadline looms for Wembley Stadium ticket purchases

+ @Spectre Britain (again, despite the MASSIVE NRI/ex-pat community) has always lagged behind the rest of Europe in terms of ties with India. I remember reading a few years ago that the UK traded with India less than BELGIUM. I find this almost inexplicable unless you factor in the Pakistani community here in the UK. I know (from personal experience how much the political parties court the Pakistani vote base here and it seems this is shaping our foreign policy too...

Au contraire economic ties are very strong both ways. It is pretty much the ideal relation with investment travelling both ways.

UK largest G20 investor in India, currently employs 691,000 people - The Hindu

India emerges as third largest FDI source for U.K. - The Hindu

It is just their Foreign Office creating mischief

Coming to the point - Again my personal belief is that this was more of an emotive response rather than a logical one. Countries regularly loose their composure in cases where their is historical bitterness. France/UK, India/Pak, China/Taiwan. China for example is masterful in diplomacy but they often loose their shit when it comes to Taiwan
I guess it is my naivety sir, I would have thought these sort of things were immune from such pettiness and driven by cold hard logic but I shall differ to your expertise on the matter.

It is just their Foreign Office creating mischief
I had expected better.

@Abingdonboy Modi is visiting UK next month...& will be addressing biggest ever NRI crowd at Wembley stadium on the 13th of Nov.
Plenty of Indians in Wembley :lol::lol:

Pretty awesome news actually, sadly I am a few hundreds miles away during term time.

I guess it is my naivety sir, I would have thought these sort of things were immune from such pettiness and driven by cold hard logic but I shall differ to your expertise on the matter.

Nothing like that - I am an absolute novice on Defense Matters, weapon systems, special forces and so on. I have learnt a lot from you in this regard.

Just that I had an advantage of working in an embassy so was bit more clued in regarding diplomatic matters.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom