What's new

in 5 years … people forget about Shanghai...and talk Mumbai...

And no Urdu. what is this, discrimination against Urdu, the language most used by Bollywood.

We use Urdu, but write it in a different script :-). We like our vowels and consonants separate, thank you very much.

BTW, A sort of Urdu is also spoken in Indian-Hyderabad and Bangalore but I bet you would not understand it if you heard it. For eg: "Tu kayko kichak-kichak karta hein baa?" for "Aap ko koi takalluf hain?".

Come on, how many scripts do you expect a north eastern Indian or a South Indian to learn ? Most speak English and Hindi in addition to their mother tongue ; adding Urdu would be too much effort.

^^^

Have you ever been to mumbai?

No...But i msure its not better then shanghai!

True I agree to that. That Shanghai would definitely be better in infrastructure than mumbai. Each place then has an essence about it. But I am not sure about the 30yrs part. Maybe in the next ten years. It's growing fast and expanding.

China's development speed is faster then india, if today they are are 3decades ahead, then after ten years they will be 5 decade ahead of india, gap will keep increasing, till US try to misdisadventure with China!

let them talk .let us work,end of this discussion

:enjoy:

While Mumbai hasn't caught up to Shanghai yet, it still is one of the best cities in the world. The infrastructure in the city has improved markedly in the last decade. It is considered as the world's best Alpha Cities according to GaWC. And with the Cricket World Cup coming up in Mumbai, it will definitely improve a lot more. Whatever Manmohan promised, he delivered, it will take time, but he started in the right direction. I have seen the city grow like anything when I grew up there. It truly is one of the awe inspiring cities of the world. It produces more culture than Shanghai with its billions of dollars strong Movie industry with consumers across the middle east. It has the headquarters of India's most influential business houses and it still is in the heart of every Indian as a great gem in India. It will catch up to Shanghai in infrastructure development in the next 5 to 10 years.

92d606ac6190713c055a2dff242b9e31.jpg

GaWC - The World According to GaWC 2008

There is only one language urdu, u are now trying to change urdu, what blooming pity.

Urdu spoken and written by Mirza Ghalib and do not call him galib, call ghalib. Hyderabadi is not urdu, it is hyderabadi, they have the right to speak whatever they want, but it is not urdu

No...But i msure its not better then shanghai!
:enjoy:

That is where you are wrong. In New york, 80% of building look old, especially if you get away from manhatan, then they utterly look crappy!!, but that does not mean shanghai is better then New york. It's the city that brings the vibrancy, and mumbai is impacable in that regards. You can find faults all day long about mumbai, but ask any Indian there is no city like mumbai.

Thanks.

The name 'BUND' come from Anglo Indian origin for a place in Bombay. That's what I recall the guide told me when i visited Shanghai Huangpu River BUND area for the first time. Sure it is decade ahead of Bombay, and India need to do the catchup. And with current democracy I would say its impossible for India to catchup with China.
I have been to Bombay at least 10 times, and Shanghai 4 times just last 12 months
Regards

Like most Americans I root for the underdog, and when it comes to underdog status Mumbai is the big dog in the undeclared race to become the city of the future. If towering steel and glass structure is all it takes to become a great city then Dubai should be the obvious winner – but not in my books. I’d sooner move to Cairo, Mumbai, Bangkok, Muscat, Tehran, Sydney, Carcass, Paris, Karachi, New York or Jakarta and even prefer Singapore or Perth over Dubai. Yes, I have visited or lived in all the cities I listed above with the exception of Karachi.
Will Mumbai ever rival Shanghai in terms of modern infrastructure? May be not, do the inhabitants of Mumbai care? No of course not, if they did then Mumbai would already be better than Shanghai. The city of Mumbai will remain whatever its residents want it to be and that is the key differentiator between Dubai, Shanghai and cities like Mumbai, Karachi and Cairo. Cities like Mumbai exist for its people while the inverse is unfortunately true for Shanghai.

JMHO

Like most Americans I root for the underdog, and when it comes to underdog status Mumbai is the big dog in the undeclared race to become the city of the future. If towering steel and glass structure is all it takes to become a great city then Dubai should be the obvious winner – but not in my books. I’d sooner move to Cairo, Mumbai, Bangkok, Muscat, Tehran, Sydney, Carcass, Paris, Karachi, New York or Jakarta and even prefer Singapore or Perth over Dubai. Yes, I have visited or lived in all the cities I listed above with the exception of Karachi.
Will Mumbai ever rival Shanghai in terms of modern infrastructure? May be not, do the inhabitants of Mumbai care? No of course not, if they did then Mumbai would already be better than Shanghai. The city of Mumbai will remain whatever its residents want it to be and that is the key differentiator between Dubai, Shanghai and cities like Mumbai, Karachi and Cairo. Cities like Mumbai exist for its people while the inverse is unfortunately true for Shanghai.

JMHO

... by chocolate indeed.

First para right out of my mind:cheers:

Last edited:
In October, 2004, India PM Manmohan Singh, as a leader of a great nation, gave a grand speech that was truly heroic and was resonating around the whole world, East and West:

"When we talk of a resurgent Asia, people think of the great changes that have come about in Shanghai. I share this aspiration with the chief minister and senior Congress leaders to transform Mumbai in the next five years in such a manner that people would forget about Shanghai and Mumbai will become a talking point."

Make Mumbai No 1: PM

Five years have passed unrelentingly. The biggest democracy enters an election again.

Looking back into the history, one can’t help but ask:

Do people forget Shanghai?

Does Mumbai become a talking point in a manner that Mr. PM had perceived?

Would people in a democratic developing country, with vast un- or under-educated population constantly subject to brainwashing and low quality media, rather reject honesty and realistic leaders perhaps with a low-key attitude, than love and accept boastful and/or arrogant candidates?

Should Indians politicians be hold responsible for what they say, or they should enjoy the freedom of manipulation their constituents again and again under the name and norm of democracy?

Please kindly share your view.

Thanks.

Can I access internet freely in ur great Shanghai city??

Last edited:
Each city hold different values and meaning for different people, some people might find mumbai to be better and some might find shanghai to be better. Looking at infrastructure and buildings shanghai is a few decades ahead of mumbai and better planned.

Mumbai is getting a lot of skyscappers, and they have been popping up all over mumbai at a great speed, they just need to be planned better.

Each city hold different values and meaning for different people, some people might find mumbai to be better and some might find shanghai to be better. Looking at infrastructure and buildings shanghai is a few decades ahead of mumbai and better planned.

Mumbai is getting a lot of skyscappers, and they have been popping up all over mumbai at a great speed, they just need to be planned better.

true indeed.....but i think navi mumbai has been planned well and its going great there

I think - not 5 yrs - jusr 1 yr ago every body was talking of mumbai - AFTER slum dog millionair. lol
WHAT A FRIGGGGIN SHAME.

I think its so funny -
a place where - people ready to kill each other , because which state they from .
a place where - most - locals are lving under poverty line.
a place with biggest slum in the world.
a place which dies during rain.
a place with most train accident in world.
a place with biggest population.
one of the stinkiest city in world.
one of the most expensive city .
with almost no infrastrutre.
where you cant move a stone without - RISHWAT or bribe.
a place which had most polluted sea front.
a place with worst traffic in world.
a place where poltics is run on the - people's relgion , region , and cast.
a palce which had most number of riots in past few years in india.
a place which has largest shortage of drinking water.
place with worst health care.
Most polluted city in world.
One of the most unsecure city after 26/11.

--------------------------------------------

everybody is talking of mumbai - nobody is talking of shanghai even now.
i hope it wont get worst than this in next 5 yrs.

i know about the place lot more than you think i know. since i have relatives and professional attachment to Bombay.

and i know whats the sorry state Bombay is in. tell me one point i wrong about. I like the character of this city, but i hate what people have made it.

there is big and huge gap between poor of kandivali, borivali to rich of juhu and Malabar hill.

just go out there and find it out your self its not so hard!

Back
Top Bottom