What's new

Imran Khan launches Rs20 billion electricity project in Kalam

Micro Hydel projects are something like this

http://www.dawn.com/news/1188525

and this is a comparatively large project. 84mw is good enough to power anywhere between 40,000 to 80,000 households depending on the usage. Micro Hydel projects are usually targetting few hundred houses at max

I know what micro hydel projects are, i am a mechanical engineer and 84MW is a decent enough project which requires a good head (elevation of water) or flow rate ( quantity of water )

I just did a google search and couldn't find any news about completion of the project i mentioned in first post. So just asking ppl about it. Can anyone geotag them ?? Because to have 2 projects in same valley on same river where one is 84MW is quite a deal

So it will be cost effective in 50 years... for 1/20th of capacity....fantastic... planner desrves a noble prize[
It will be cost effective in 3 years of its running in comparative terms.

I know what micro hydel projects are, i am a mechanical engineer and 84MW is a decent enough project which requires a good head (elevation of water) or flow rate ( quantity of water )

I just did a google search and couldn't find any news about completion of the project i mentioned in first post. So just asking ppl about it. Can anyone geotag them ?? Because to have 2 projects in same valley on same river where one is 84MW is quite a deal
I believe Imran Khan inaugurated Matiltan Hydropower Project which is long overdue since past 8 or so years. It has the capacity to generate 84mw of electricity

http://www.brecorder.com/pakistan/g...contract-of-84-mw-matiltan-hydro-project.html

The idea of Micro Hydel project was to provide electricity in those areas that were not currently integrated with the national electricity grid and it was meant to provide electricity to few hundred households or a village only. There are about 150 micro hydel projects in Swat alone and what you have mentioned earlier is something along the line of such projects

So it will be cost effective in 50 years... for 1/20th of capacity....fantastic... planner desrves a noble prize[

1. It will not depend on any transportation infrastructure or import as required in case of coal.
2. It is not a disaster for environment which is already screwed up and destroying our agriculture.

This must be the project you are referring to:

http://tribune.com.pk/story/732027/at-long-last-kalam-gets-electricity-after-six-years/

It will be cost effective in 3 years of its running in comparative terms.

How its costing double??it will halve its price in 3 years??

1. It will not depend on any transportation infrastructure or import as required in case of coal.
2. It is not a disaster for environment which is already screwed up and destroying our agriculture.

But it does require double yhe initial investment and produces 1/20th of energy

How its costing double??it will halve its price in 3 years??

But it does require double yhe initial investment and produces 1/20th of energy
The cost of Sahiwal's coal power project is 1.8 Billion USD for capacity of 1320MW. So it will cost 150 Million per megawatt while this project will cost 230 Million per megawatt. So, it is not exactly double.

I don't know the tariff for both but I am guessing that hydral will be cheaper. And as I said, the best thing is environment friendly. Coal projects in cities like Sahiwal is going to destroy the already screwed up environment and agriculture.

Nopes, That one I was mentioning was inaugurated by Imran Khan in 2013. This one as the news say

The power project was inaugurated by Malakand Division General Officer Commanding Major General Javed Bukhari on Saturday.Installed by Sarhad Rural Support Programme (SRSP) with funding from the European Union on August 29, 2013, the MHP will provide 1,000 lines in the tehsil which will cover the entire area, except Ashuran

These few KW are a good thing but they need to be a lot of them to cater for a need of a city/town

84 MW one the other hand is a decent enough project for a place like Kalam. Lots of project being inaugurated. Lets hope they all are completed too :)

I believe Imran Khan inaugurated Matiltan Hydropower Project which is long overdue since past 8 or so years. It has the capacity to generate 84mw of electricity

http://www.brecorder.com/pakistan/g...contract-of-84-mw-matiltan-hydro-project.html

The idea of Micro Hydel project was to provide electricity in those areas that were not currently integrated with the national electricity grid and it was meant to provide electricity to few hundred households or a village only. There are about 150 micro hydel projects in Swat alone and what you have mentioned earlier is something along the line of such projects

As you mentioned yourself, this 84MW will be good enough for 40K -80K households. Yes in a place like Kalam there is potential for many micro hydel projects but few will have the capacity of generating something in the range of MWs and attracting a party leader to come for inauguration.

and these projects also have the advantage of reducing line losses. Providing small towns electricity when in such areas requires a lot of transmission lines to be installed which will then result in power loss. The only thing that stops such projects is money. Usually such small scale projects are not feasible, The machinery is too expensive etc etc etc

The cost of Sahiwal's coal power project is 1.8 Billion USD for capacity of 1320MW. So it will cost 150 Million per megawatt while this project will cost 230 Million per megawatt. So, it is not exactly double.

I don't know the tariff for both but I am guessing that hydral will be cheaper. And as I said, the best thing is environment friendly. Coal projects in cities like Sahiwal is going to destroy the already screwed up environment and agriculture.

Coal power plants only produce electricity. Hydel projects not only produce electricity but may also store water for irrigation etc (depending on the type of system installed) so cant exactly compare them. In longer run, pollution caused by coal will be more costly. The climate change is effecting our rivers badly and we must avoid coal at all costs

Back
Top Bottom