What's new

Il-78 aerial Inflight refuelling tanker aircraft

According to my sources spares have been a problem for this aircraft.

Lolz, Its not a car that has the problem of spare parts, Craft companies also offer spare parts facilitites with the deal.

The Ukrainian company Ilyushin is in operation and producing Il-78. Spareparts cant be a problem.

Besides that I believe, when ever client makes deal they make asure all risk analysis.....and I am sure India also asured all risks b4 making final deal.

But primary reason was due to the fact that tanker has optimum fuel capacity and still does not interfere with the space in the main cargo deck. This opens multiple options for the IAF.

Dont know, how could this problem would be so serious?

And as Wiki states The Il-78M is a dedicated tanker and cannot be converted back to the transport role easily.

The role of this plane is Inflight refuelling tanker not transport. India also bought that considering Inflight refuelling for SU-30 MKI.

Otherwise IL 78 is a proven workhorse and India has been operating more than 40 of these air crafts considering both the IL 76 and IL 78 version.

India is only operating 6 IL-78, only for SU-30 MKI.

So, I dont see any serious problem in the craft apart for India.

8ca52c8ca9b5802744538f9ed01e7145.jpg

fdc245a90ad5391e7e9d74d9cd97ce41.jpg

870afc9dd31304cedfcfdb5a939d816d.jpg

Last edited:
what about the tanker for F16z are we geting KC200 anytime soon?

what about the tanker for F16z are we geting KC200 anytime soon?

I never heard that PAF ever been intrested in KC200.
Nither I dont know much about KC200.

Pakistan is developing KJ-200 (AEW&C) with the help of China n Pakistan will get them in 2010-11.

I dont think so that USA will provide us this air craft.

What is the role of America over here, We are not purchasing these things from America.

We are getting Il-78 from Ukrine, 2 of them recieved in Dec 08, 2 will be delievered soo.

Where as KJ-200 AEW&C is being developed by China n Pakistan.

mzubair bro kc-135 is refuler for f-16 f-18 he talking abut that.and its US made. her is image f-16 refuling pod is difrent then our jf-17 and mirages +fc-20

0529cdd48c5cd095d4caec343b5ba93f.jpg

We're getting the Ukrainian ones (the two delivered were most likely for testing purposes, as some have said that our 4 are not here yet). It is almost a done deal. The IL-78 is one of the most capable platforms in its category, ane even the Americans have put it to use. Therefore, it is foolish to say they are not capable. The only reason we may opt out of this deal is if we are offered something similar from the Chinese or the West (more precisely, the Europeans, since the Americans are currently working on their own Tanker-X program). Other than that, the Chinese operate IL-78s, and India couldn't do much about that, so I don't see what it can do about the Pakistani deal.

See, BSF, the Indians need the Russians more than the Russians need the Indians. Same is true for China. That is not to say that India is not important to the Russian defence industry, it is one of its prime customers afterall, but the customer can't tell the supplier how to run his business. India can't dictate terms to the Russians, it can merely lobby or campaign, which it is very good at, I must admit. I don't mean this to sling mud at India, it is just a fact. The Chinese have gotten over it, India will too. Russian defence dreams span much wider then just China or India. As for Ukraine, well, they will take what they can get. They don't really have too many others lined up to turn down willing customers.

In short, no, there's not much India can do about the deal unless it decides to buy the IL-78s offered to Pakistan. But, since they're moving to European suppliers, I don't see that happening.
I can't agree with you on India needs Russia more, but I think we talked about that before right?
Apart of that I don't see why India should make any trouble in this deal, because PAF don't need air refueling to send fighters to India. So if they have refuelers, or not, it won't change so much for India. High tech arms like U214 subs, missiles for JF 17, or J10, or even fighter like Su 30, 35 are a different story, but India is not in the position to say "Western" countries not to sell to Pak now.
Imo we don't have to anyway, cause the main problem for Pak forces are not the access to Western techs, but the fundings to buy them. India at the moment don't has this problem, that's why we now decided to go for more capable, but also more expensive A330 MRTT and P8 than buy Russian aircrafts.

Dont know, how could this problem would be so serious?

It is not exactly serious but Airbus offers better capability. Imagine the plane transporting troops, officials and at the same time (very instant) serving as a refuelling station to fighters...Its like buy one , get one free. Its a very nice feature to have and in war time situations will be off great help. IL doesnt offer this capability, airbus does.

mzubair bro kc-135 is refuler for f-16 f-18 he talking abut that.and its US made. her is image f-16 refuling pod is difrent then our jf-17 and mirages +fc-20

Thankyou for that Acknowledgment, i dont know much abt kc-135 deal, If PAF made.

Yes then may be USA will hesitate to give us.

opss :oops: my bad!

thankyou sir for correcting me, yes i was talking about this plane and have typed KC200 by mistake!

thankyou!

regards!

Why not go for the KC-130, We already have the C-130's and the pods can be of Ukrainian origin. Just a bit of tweaking would give the PAF a really good refueller in a very short time.
Here is the KC-130.
49fb32626639241f75cf684425cbce4b.jpg

Why not go for the KC-130, We already have the C-130's and the pods can be of Ukrainian origin. Just a bit of tweaking would give the PAF a really good refueller in a very short time.
Here is the KC-130.
49fb32626639241f75cf684425cbce4b.jpg

Still won't solve the f-16 prob for refuling!

Last edited:
KC-130J has also same pods which we get from il-78midas so why we waste our transport fleet.KC-135 KC-10 EXTENDER or airbus A-330 MRTT we need for our f-16 fleet.but soon to be falcons will no more front line fighters of PAF after we induct FC-20 and there is no plan for future that we induct f-18 or more f-16 for long term thats why PAF is not itrested in IFRs from USA.

Who knows? The Kamra may convert the F-16's American style fuel inlets to the ones used by our JF-17. For all I know Pakistani Armed Industries have been all about surprise and fascinating the nation!

Back
Top Bottom