What's new

If voted to power, NDA will double army’s size: Rajnath Singh

we already have the second largest standing army of 4 million approx if we include paras etc ;)

and even 13 lakh army with 6 lkh reserve force makes 2 million.

with paras it will be 3.2 million

when said 4 million the base figure was 1.1 million soldiers +9,00,000 reserves

On Topic> What BJP head said, is mere "before election promise"

He wants to paint a picture that his party or NDA will have a strong military, but he (and his audience) doesn't have a clue as to what that really means. Neither he nor the listeners know anything about increasing force mechanization, or improving night fighting capability, or modernizing the artillery, or reorganizing the corps structures - those issues, the real issues that need to be addressed are way beyond their comprehension or knowledge. So propose the only solution that he and his listeners know - double the size. Populist sloganeering which, if actually implemented, will only lead to lessened combat capability, because all the increased manpower will be left without adequate tank, IFV, arty and air support - these cannot keep up with our present needs. So we will have a million armymen unsupported by all the stuff mentioned above, which means that instead of being a bigger force that can project more power, they will become a bigger target for the enemy, and sitting ducks for smaller, more modernized units.

The need of the hour is modernization, not increasing the already bloated size. But then these plans are made by the army, and not by politicians, and BJP politicians, like those of any other party, will simply mouth off what the listeners want to hear. Ask Rajnath singh about what measures he would take to improve the night fighting capability of our frontline infantry or armor units, and he would probably not understand a word of the question. But he has to keep up the pretense that his party is "tough" and "militaristic", so he has to offer these simplistic promises which, if actually implemented, would be disastrous for the country.

This is why politicians should formulate the military's objectives and intended capabilities, while how to achieve those capabilities and objectives should be planned by the forces themselves.

one thing that i can say about this statement is that the man has simply out of his mind.but i think what he was trying to convey is that if voted to power NDA will increase the defence budget which is currently around 1.79% of the G.D.P. and only 11% of the Govt expenditure.i mean what they can do is increase the defence spending to atleast 25% of the Govt. expenditure which will be double the amout currently spend on defence.come on guys a country as big as India should be spending at least 3% of its G.D.P. in defence expenditure(U.S.A. spends around 4.5% of its G.D.P. in defence) because in case of a war we'll be fighting in two fronts and so we need to arm our Forces based on this grave threat!

Rajnath Someone needs to quadruple this chap's brain & fast.

but sir 0x4 is still 0:omghaha:

What BJP head said, is mere "before election promise"

Yup time to get your manifestos printed

On topic:
Nations around the world are trying to get their force structure Leaner and Meaner. This guy perhaps is still living in medieval times when larger the army, the better.
Doesn't he even think how much the wage bill would shoot up just by increasing the number. Even if country can afford that sort of defense budget it would rather be spent on modernization.
Ab woh time to hai nahin, ki jis Raja ki Badi sena wohi bada Raja

This Rajnath Singh is one of the main reasons why BJP's seats in UP shrunk to current situation. He is a loudmouth.

One reason why voting in elections should never be based on preference of a single person, but on what the policies of the party (and in Indias case of their possible allies) would be, if they are in power.
A single person, could be interesting for certain positions, but he/she will always be restricted in his/her actions to party policies and that's not different for MMS, Gandhi, Modi, Obama, Holland or Merkel!

One reason why voting in elections should never be based on preference of a single person, but on what the policies of the party (and in Indias case of their possible allies) would be, if they are in power.
A single person, could be interesting for certain positions, but he/she will always be restricted in his/her actions to party policies and that's not different for MMS, Gandhi, Modi, Obama, Holland or Merkel!

AGREED.

But as the Highest EXECUTIVE authority of the country a PM needs to ASSERT himself more.

+ If Hindutva is removed from BJP ideology, it is no different than Congress.

AGREED.

But as the Highest EXECUTIVE authority of the country a PM needs to ASSERT himself more.

Needs to is different from being able to. If the electoral mandate requires one to share power with allies, then how much power one can wield will depend on how much support he/she requires. Imagining that someone will simply exert power by his/her personality independently of electoral arithmetic is delusion. Allies are not answerable to the PM in reality even though as members of the cabinet they ought to be. That simply reduces the leverage the PM will have over such ministers & opens government decisions to be nothing more than crude bargains all the time.

Needs to is different from being able to. If the electoral mandate requires one to share power with allies, then how much power one can wield will depend on how much support he/she requires. Imagining that someone will simply exert power by his/her personality independently of electoral arithmetic is delusion. Allies are not answerable to the PM in reality even though as members of the cabinet they ought to be. That simply reduces the leverage the PM will have over such ministers & opens government decisions to be nothing more than crude bargains all the time.

Buddy, I agree with you, but what else can we do than IMAGINING here??

Do we have any other options??

+ Our Current PM is not even an ELECTED leader from any of the constituency, he is instead a SELECTED leader. How do you think he will assert himself when he haven't even taken a mandate from the people of this country.

Forget 2004 elections, MMS shied away from elections even in 2009, when he had already served for 5 years as PM of this country, i don't know what it means to you & others but for me (& I am sorry to say this) it shows the level of confidence our PM has in himself.

That's why i think our Constitution should be amended & only those persons should sit on PM's chair who are ELECTED to LS.

Mate, Even Mr. Vajpayee ran Coalition govt. for whole six years & i am not saying that he had Carte Blanche from his allies, but i think you will agree that atleast he asserted himself more & a common citizen like me could had look at him & say that -Yes, He is our PM.

why this fool is allowed to give statements????

holy god!seriously we need youngsters in politics who understands today's world

Mate, Even Mr. Vajpayee ran Coalition govt. for whole six years & i am not saying that he had Carte Blanche from his allies, but i think you will agree that atleast he asserted himself more & a common citizen like me could had look at him & say that -Yes, He is our PM.

Vajpayee was a very different type of leader. He had no real equals. Kind of different from Narendra Modi who is at best. the first among equals within the BJP itself if not just one of them. Inspite of that vajpayee suceeded because of the power of his personality. Even hose who opposed him politically, liked & admired him personally. Modi is liked & despised equally. The opposition to him will be great. With a fractured mandate & the Congress refusing to play ball at all with the BJP(considering how the BJP has behaved), Modi will find it difficult to do anything that would help reinforce his strong leader image. Such sharply polarised politics will really hurt everyone.

Congress is all set to get a hammering in the next polls. Only one thing can save them, that is if BJP make themselves look even more stupid then the Congress....and BJP is doing just that !

Vajpayee was a very different type of leader. He had no real equals. Kind of different from Narendra Modi who is at best. the first among equals within the BJP itself if not just one of them. Inspite of that vajpayee suceeded because of the power of his personality. Even hose who opposed him politically, liked & admired him personally. Modi is liked & despised equally. The opposition to him will be great. With a fractured mandate & the Congress refusing to play ball at all with the BJP(considering how the BJP has behaved), Modi will find it difficult to do anything that would help reinforce his strong leader image. Such sharply polarised politics will really hurt everyone.

I don't agree with that part.

Anyone who closely follow Indian Politics, knows very well that all the opposition to govt. policies by the opposition parties are only at the surface.

All the committees of Parliament consists of members from all parties, how would have any law passed if the only goal of opposition would have been to JUST Oppose??

Infact, FDI in retail was first brought by NDA (they were even favoring 100% FDI) & this same congress was opposing it just like BJP now.

+ When NDA conducted Pokhran blasts it was MMS himself that opposed it in RS & when UPA-1 came they signed Indo-US nuke deal.

If Congress sits in opposition benches they will do exactly the same things that BJP is doing now.

What an effing tool. What good will doubling the IA do? What is needed is to make the existing IA more lethal and more effective. What kind of idiot do you have to be to think India needs a 2 MILLION++ man army?!! Look at what the average US army soldier carries and what they have available to them and then look at the IA right now, the situation is pitiful. The situation is getting better but if you double the army the modernisation efforts of the IA will ground to a halt. Increase funding yes but not manpower FFS.

It'd be much better if the BJP said they were going to double the Indian police force's size. The police to population ratio in India is one if the lowest on earth, if these people really care about heir nation they will increase the police force and modernise and reform the IPS on a fast-track basis not whip up the China threat which is pretty much non-exsistant.

As for reversing the FDI- one of the triumphs of the UPA and they want to reverse it before even seeing the results? With politicians like these who needs external enemies?

Just when I had thought seriously about backing Modi for 2014, the BJP comes out and shows its true colours.
@arp2041 is the BS the BJP seems to be coming out with of late a reason to not support Modi? Yes Modi might be a good candidiate in his own right but he'll bring these stupid effs with him and this will only hurt India.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just when I had thought seriously about backing Modi for 2014, the BJP comes out and shows its true colours.
@arp2041 is the BS the BJP seems to be coming out with of late a reason to not support Modi? Yes Modi might be a good candidiate in his own right but he'll bring these stupid effs with him and this will only hurt India.

:lol:
@Abingdonboy, don't pay heed to what Mr. Singh has to say, there are elections coming, & in elections many leaders say many things about many issues from ALL PARTIES.

Take eg. of Samajwadi Party, this party was ideologically AGAINST PCs & Laptops, but now when they have come to power in UP, they are gifting 1 Lakh Laptops to students.

+ Modi, can't be ignored, not just by BJP, but any party of India, he has become TOO BIG to be ignored. Believe me if BJP comes to power & he is not made PM, he will still be the tallest leader of the Govt. just like Sonia Gandhi now.

+ You can't ignore the fact that economically, BJP is more Reform oriented party than Congress (NDA was on the verge of bringing 100% FDI in retail, brought FDI in Telecom, Defence, etc.). I have seen interviews of 1 or two businessmen who said that the GDP growth rate of near 9% that UPA-1 enjoyed was somewhat due to the groundwork done by the previous NDA regime. All BJP ruled states are among the top GDP growth rate states. Recent news came that the GOI has stopped publishing annual states ranking as many BJP ruled states topped the rankings.

Idiots are in all parties, we just need a good leader to handle them well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom