What's new

If Liu Xiaobo was an American, they would have thrown him in jail too.

主要是学生不在乎思想,只为造乱而造乱.

And we don't want that again.

That movement attracted some real sadists.

Some people cannot create, they can only destroy.

I don't think Liu should be in prison. Even if he's saying how China needs to colonized by the West and all, he shouldn't be jailed unless he's actually working towards that goal. Everybody has the freedom of speech.

He is doing, do you think that why the West to pay him?

101008-xia-vmed-6a.grid-6x2.jpg

NED money employed in worthwhile causes !! I am sure $135,000 a years buys a very comfortable life in China.

$135,000 a year! :devil:

Is she in her home in this picture?

If I were Chinese government, I would a) jail him not for political reasons, but for tax evasion reasons: how could a prisoner without job afford such a lavish life? b) excite all media, mouthpieces or a-ho-piece (who cares after all), to demonstrate the facts, and show evidences to the public: Western and Eastern, international and domestic.

135000 USD per year also puts you in the top 5% of american incomes. even in the US, it will buy you a very comfortable life. Do note this is tax free money since it isn't considered "income"; even a 135000 USD income in the US would work out to be about 70000 USD after taxes, so Liu's "real" salary is actually around 200,000 USD per year, along with whatever money he gets otherwise.

Damn straight. $135k a year is a lot of money in USA, no doubt about that. I can buy two foreclosed condo in South Florida a year. Some decent condos are now selling for $50k used to sell for around 150k+ each few years ago in the real state bubble !!

I don't think Liu should be in prison. Even if he's saying how China needs to colonized by the West and all, he shouldn't be jailed unless he's actually working towards that goal. Everybody has the freedom of speech.

Why doesn't Norman Finkelstein (and others like him) enjoy freedom of speech in the U.S.? People like him always lose their career and are threatened by the CIA, or forced to resign etc. There really is no freedom of speech in the West, this is merely western propaganda. There is only freedom to bash China, Iran and all other non-western countries and peoples.

Last edited:
Why doesn't Norman Finkelstein (and others like him) enjoy freedom of speech in the U.S.? People like him always lose their career and are threatened by the CIA, or forced to resign etc. There really is no freedom of speech in the West, this is merely western propaganda. There is only freedom to bash China, Iran and all other non-western countries and peoples.
Always? Can you show the readers a list of critics over the years that have lost their jobs or imprisoned? We can begin with Noam Chomsky who continued to teach at MIT and received Pentagon funding while calling the US 'evil'. Do not forget that military funding is usually far less restrictive than corporate. The recipient has greater latitude on how the money is spent.

Democracy or communism is the choice of china itself,so if its citizen wants communism let them have it,no need to thrust democracy on them by any foreign power,this is their internal matter,and any sudden change in political system only lead to anarchy

It cannot b ignored that the development China had seen in the last 3 decades r all by virtue of their communist regime and they should b appreciated for that

Democracy or communism is the choice of china itself,so if its citizen wants communism let them have it,no need to thrust democracy on them by any foreign power,this is their internal matter,and any sudden change in political system only lead to anarchy

It cannot b ignored that the development China had seen in the last 3 decades r all by virtue of their communist regime and they should b appreciated for that
Let me get this correctly...You are equating PUBLIC criticisms of a regime with the imposition of an alternate ideology and political structure?

Public criticism might only be a part of what the guy has done.

Dalai Lama and Kadeer also publically criticise CCP

Let me get this correctly...You are equating PUBLIC criticisms of a regime with the imposition of an alternate ideology and political structure?

That is my view,i dont care much what is happening inside China,if any violation's r going,thats their own matter,if even they become a democracy they r nothing good for us,they will still remain our enemy,so i care less,their is a lot of talk about freedom of rights in China,if the Chinese citizens r interested let them gain it by themselves,so far every nation had achieved it the same way

Public criticism might only be a part of what the guy has done.

Dalai Lama and Kadeer also publically criticise CCP
The argument is fundamentally flawed...

...if its citizen wants communism let them have it...

You cannot select unless there are options. Wanting is not the same thing as having those options. Public criticisms also come from within as well as from without and the 'within' is the most threatening to any regime. If the people express a 'want' but the regime deny them options through violence then the regime is a despotic one. So if the regime offers the choice of death or communism, what do you think the people will chose?

Finklestein was denied Tenure at De Paul University. Its a Catholic University in Illinois. Alan Dershowitz, a Harvard Professor, lead a wolf pack campaign against him about his Tenure. Alan Dershoowitz was contacting faculty members, Tenure board, and donors of De Paul.

From NY Times,

DePaul’s political science department had voted to award Mr. Finkelstein tenure, but the University Board on Promotion and Tenure rejected his bid. DePaul’s president, the Rev. Dennis H. Holtschneider, upheld that decision. In a letter to Mr. Finkelstein, Father Holtschneider wrote that Mr. Finkelstein is an excellent teacher and a nationally recognized public intellectual but does not “honor the obligation” to “respect and defend the free inquiry of associates.”

I think De Paul caved in after giving due consideration to donation the school receives. The donation it receives is in the tens of millions of dollars.

He resigned after an agreement with the school.

From DE Paul Website,

The cornerstone of the campaign is a goal to raise $100 million for scholarships by the campaign’s conclusion on June 30, 2014

link:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/11/arts/11depa.html

DePaul University

Back
Top Bottom