What's new

If Delhi was Beijing, it would shut 29 of 30 days

A resident of Beijing was telling me that it is basically located in a place where the land is in depreciation just like a bowl and thats why smog remains there for longer time esp in the low lying areas. Also many at times rainfall brings in flooding like situation in these deep areas. Can someone tell me why Delhi is having tough time with air pollution? Is it the geography or what?

This thread is in China&Far East..?

:o::o:
:angel:The pollution in China arouses anger among Chinese people.

Indians don't care...That's weird.

Anyhow the pollution in China is serious,taking India out is of little use,maybe the only use is:
Ah!There are people in world's other area living worse than us!

:cry:No one can stand smog/haze,today I feel terrible and often cough,I hope tomorrow will be better.

It is TOI that brings up the issue. While the photos of smog chocked Beijing have dominated the front pages of the "mainstream media" around the world these days, India, with much more serious air pollution issues, has largely escaped the scrutiny from the west. Is it because India is not an as important country as China, or because there is indeed double standard among western countries when it comes to reporting anything about China?

All those fake stats of China,

With the recent happenings in India and inevitable rise of India, its time to enjoy the buthurt of Chinese in PDF !
haha, hahahahahah, hahahahahahahhahahahahahah

A resident of Beijing was telling me that it is basically located in a place where the land is in depreciation just like a bowl and thats why smog remains there for longer time esp in the low lying areas. Also many at times rainfall brings in flooding like situation in these deep areas. Can someone tell me why Delhi is having tough time with air pollution? Is it the geography or what?

yes its in a valley surrounded by hills/mountains, so any pollution that get put up (most actually comes from industry) tends to stay until rain or wind moves it . this also means it's quite easy to get clear days if you absolutely need it (like the olympics) simply stop or move the industry for a bit and seed the clouds to make it rain. this is of course not a long term solution what so ever and there has to be clouds to seed.

delhi has terrible pollution even without the industry that china has, because unlike beijing, it has a terrible electrical grid and lower environmental standards, so during hot summer days all those private diesel generators are running all over the city and putting out terrible pollution. the poorer rural parts of china has this problem too but their pollution is from burning coals in the winter for heat/cooking. the central government is alleviating this problem by of course hooking everyone up to modern systems and discouraging coal use, generally increase in economy also means less and less poor people who need to burn coals..

It is TOI that brings up the issue. While the photos of smog chocked Beijing have dominated the front pages of the "mainstream media" around the world these days, India, with much more serious air pollution issues, has largely escaped the scrutiny from the west. Is it because India is not an as important country as China, or because there is indeed double standard among western countries when it comes to reporting anything about China?
Because of DEMOCRACY?
Because of our competition with them?
I'm not sure.
Today better!
PM2.5 23ug/m³

QQ截图20151215125054.jpg

haha, hahahahahah, hahahahahahahhahahahahahah

yes its in a valley surrounded by hills/mountains, so any pollution that get put up (most actually comes from industry) tends to stay until rain or wind moves it . this also means it's quite easy to get clear days if you absolutely need it (like the olympics) simply stop or move the industry for a bit and seed the clouds to make it rain. this is of course not a long term solution what so ever and there has to be clouds to seed.

delhi has terrible pollution even without the industry that china has, because unlike beijing, it has a terrible electrical grid and lower environmental standards, so during hot summer days all those private diesel generators are running all over the city and putting out terrible pollution. the poorer rural parts of china has this problem too but their pollution is from burning coals in the winter for heat/cooking. the central government is alleviating this problem by of course hooking everyone up to modern systems and discouraging coal use, generally increase in economy also means less and less poor people who need to burn coals..
China's environment problem is mostly from heavy industry.
It's not news, it happened to any industrial countries but later all these old industrial countries managed the problem with their economy coming to a higher level. However, the case of India is that they have very primitive industry and they have already had such terrible pollution, plus they are scaling up their heavy industry. It is foreseeable that in the coming years, China's environment will be getting better and better, while across the Himalayan ranges, the problem has just started.
BYD news & updates: China's biggest new-energy vehicle manufacturer | Page 8
Shenzhen, the headquarter of BYD. 6640 new-energy buses by 2015 and all traditional uses will be taken place by new-energy buses within 3 years.
Correct me if I'm wrong. @Yizhi

the city concepts are different between India and China

in China, cities are actually regions or provinces in other countries coz it includes rural areas and counties
in India, cities are real cities

so the population density is totally wrong

and for the polluted days, I saw a similar picture where Delhi has a lot more polluted days than beijing
I don't know how this picture is produced

the city concepts are different between India and China

in China, cities are actually regions or provinces in other countries coz it includes rural areas and counties
in India, cities are real cities

so the population density is totally wrong

and for the polluted days, I saw a similar picture where Delhi has a lot more polluted days than beijing
I don't know how this picture is produced
Population density is wrong. My city has 1000km2 central districts(including suburb and some countryside), also 8000km2 countryside districts. Same with Shanghai, Beijing, even Shenzhen.

台湾遭遇"十面霾伏" 超八成监测站PM2.5"紫爆 - PM2.5真相 PM25.com|绿色呼吸
Taiwan!!

20151217135422_95050.jpg

这两天台湾受到霾害严重影响,全台76个测站有66个测站PM2.5浓度指标都达“紫爆”等级。图片来自中时电子报

海外网12月17日电据台湾《中国时报》报道,这两天台湾受到霾害严重影响,全台76个测站有66个测站PM2.5浓度指标都达“紫爆”等级,仅花东和恒春幸免于难,为今年影响范围最广的一次,而浓度最高的测站为万里站103微克,16日晚间北台湾空气质量才逐渐恢复。台湾“环保署”表示,中南部要等到17日下午,才会恢复到平时情况。

这两天台湾“环署”统计,除花莲、台东及恒春地区,全台76个测站有66个测站都达到紫爆等级,台东、关山及恒春测站昨天白天PM2.5浓度虽保持在低指标,但也比平时浓度高出3、4倍,而到了昨晚6时,仅关山测站仍未超出35微克,台东和恒春PM2.5浓度指标则微升至中等级。

台湾“环保署”监资处长蔡鸿德说,这波霾害是影响范围最广的一次,但不是浓度最高的一次,今年1月19至25日曾有一波随寒流来袭霾害,当时测得的最高浓度为125微克,但当时并未影响全台。

蔡鸿德表示,霾害从周二傍晚开始,陆续影响台湾空气,马祖、金门及北部万里、基隆首当其冲,前天傍晚5时PM2.5浓度就已达到紫爆等级的71微克,万里最高曾飙上103微克,基隆也有96微克,并逐渐南移。

据统计,这两天PM2.5浓度最高的前5名分别为万里、龙潭、马祖、基隆和善化,万里浓度达103微克,其余4站浓度也在95微克以上。前10名的测站浓度也都高于90微克。

16日晚上6时之后,北台湾的PM2.5浓度也逐渐下降的趋势,但蔡鸿德说,中南部因扩散条件较差,须等到17日下午才会逐渐恢复为平时的状态,但明、后两天大陆高压回流,南部位于背风面,局部地区易累积空气污染物,使浓度升高,提醒民众注意。

教育部表示,因为PM2.5(细悬浮微粒)达到“紫爆”等级,昨天台湾西半部约有2000所中小学停止或减少户外活动,台北市、新北市原本要在户外进行的课程,几乎都改到室内。

依照台湾现行标准,PM2.5达71“紫爆”以上必须减少户外活动,但没有强迫,达250才须立即停止户外活动,达350才是停课标准。

QQ截图20151222102211.jpg

Wuhan today!!!!
Again!!
Fortunately today I feel sick and come back home..

Only 34 cities have AQI ≤50 now!!(Total 363 cities)

China's environment problem is mostly from heavy industry.
Due to energy industry,burn coal and get electricity...
I remember the statistic I saw before,steel manufacture industry pollution accounts for only a few precentage...

96,588,783 vs 2,800 related postings! This shows how much China and India's citizens care about the air pollution issue. Why Indians don't seem to care at all?

They do care, probably far more than you, not about their own country's air pollution but China's. :D
It's in the nature of Indians to be more "concerned" about other people's problems!

台湾遭遇"十面霾伏" 超八成监测站PM2.5"紫爆 - PM2.5真相 PM25.com|绿色呼吸
Taiwan!!

View attachment 281243
这两天台湾受到霾害严重影响,全台76个测站有66个测站PM2.5浓度指标都达“紫爆”等级。图片来自中时电子报

海外网12月17日电据台湾《中国时报》报道,这两天台湾受到霾害严重影响,全台76个测站有66个测站PM2.5浓度指标都达“紫爆”等级,仅花东和恒春幸免于难,为今年影响范围最广的一次,而浓度最高的测站为万里站103微克,16日晚间北台湾空气质量才逐渐恢复。台湾“环保署”表示,中南部要等到17日下午,才会恢复到平时情况。

这两天台湾“环署”统计,除花莲、台东及恒春地区,全台76个测站有66个测站都达到紫爆等级,台东、关山及恒春测站昨天白天PM2.5浓度虽保持在低指标,但也比平时浓度高出3、4倍,而到了昨晚6时,仅关山测站仍未超出35微克,台东和恒春PM2.5浓度指标则微升至中等级。

台湾“环保署”监资处长蔡鸿德说,这波霾害是影响范围最广的一次,但不是浓度最高的一次,今年1月19至25日曾有一波随寒流来袭霾害,当时测得的最高浓度为125微克,但当时并未影响全台。

蔡鸿德表示,霾害从周二傍晚开始,陆续影响台湾空气,马祖、金门及北部万里、基隆首当其冲,前天傍晚5时PM2.5浓度就已达到紫爆等级的71微克,万里最高曾飙上103微克,基隆也有96微克,并逐渐南移。

据统计,这两天PM2.5浓度最高的前5名分别为万里、龙潭、马祖、基隆和善化,万里浓度达103微克,其余4站浓度也在95微克以上。前10名的测站浓度也都高于90微克。

16日晚上6时之后,北台湾的PM2.5浓度也逐渐下降的趋势,但蔡鸿德说,中南部因扩散条件较差,须等到17日下午才会逐渐恢复为平时的状态,但明、后两天大陆高压回流,南部位于背风面,局部地区易累积空气污染物,使浓度升高,提醒民众注意。

教育部表示,因为PM2.5(细悬浮微粒)达到“紫爆”等级,昨天台湾西半部约有2000所中小学停止或减少户外活动,台北市、新北市原本要在户外进行的课程,几乎都改到室内。

依照台湾现行标准,PM2.5达71“紫爆”以上必须减少户外活动,但没有强迫,达250才须立即停止户外活动,达350才是停课标准。

View attachment 281244
Wuhan today!!!!
Again!!
Fortunately today I feel sick and come back home..

Only 34 cities have AQI ≤50 now!!(Total 363 cities)

Due to energy industry,burn coal and get electricity...
I remember the statistic I saw before,steel manufacture industry pollution accounts for only a few precentage...
Steel industry is a small proportion. If u go to Yangluo, Wuhan, u will know why.

They do care, probably far more than you, not about their own country's air pollution but China's. :D
It's in the nature of Indians to be more "concerned" about other people's problems!

Just like its in your nature to spew hatred against India on every thread? You seems really obsessed with India , mr false flagger.

They didn't know at first.
Almost nobody in India knew their own situation a year ago.
Vietnam too.I found the city's and even the villages' photos that Vietnamese here posted are terrible,their cities and even villages are polluted too.Maybe their government will tell them some years later.
Or never,who knows.. :p

Last edited:

While average Chinese are very concerned with the air quality problems, most Indians are brushing off their "smog" problem as "fog", and people there don't even know what the "PM 2.5" means. There are more than 2 million diesel cars running in New Delhi alone. I am glad that India high court is striking down diesel cars now, but the execution of any plans has always been India's weak point. Considering India's size of industry is only about 1/10 of China's, the problem will get considerably worse.

An air of change surrounds India’s diesels - Automotive World

96,588,783 vs 2,800 related postings! This shows how much China and India's citizens care about the air pollution issue. Why Indians don't seem to care at all?
Indians do care but my guess is most of the privileged Indians who care about the air quality are well to do, literate ones which probably is 10% of ND popluation. The rest are just trying to get by day to day trying to make a living.

Indians do care but my guess is most of the privileged Indians who care about the air quality are well to do, literate ones which probably is 10% of ND popluation. The rest are just trying to get by day to day trying to make a living.
I think you are being generous 10% literacy is too much :)

Latest posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom