What's new

IDN TAKE: One Gulf Country has Requested Information on the TEJAS for Evaluation

Techy

Reaction score
Country
United States
IDN TAKE: One Gulf Country has Requested Information on the TEJAS

LCA_New_IDN.jpg

As per reliable sources, and as a sign of good times for TEJAS one Gulf country has requested for information for evaluation.

The decision to field the TEJAS fighter in the Bahrain Air Show 2016 has been a masterstroke by the Department of Defence, Government of India, Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL) & Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA) also ably supported by qualitative expertise from CEMILAC, DGAQA and CSI. The extensive coverage received during the show has proved to be a moral booster for the much beleagured fighter. The coordinated efforts by all agencies is laudable as it involved complex logistics planning and execution. Putting up a flight display in front of an international audience is no mean feat.

As an illustration, TEJAS versatility was epitomized even before the start of the event by one singular feat before landing at the Sakhir Air Base in Manama for the Bahrain International Air Show (BIAS), the fighter flew for more than 1,800 km from Bangalore to Jamnagar, before covering a further 1,200 km for a second refueling stop in Muscat. The final leg was another 795 km to the venue. The total distance covered by both the fighters (Limited Series Production-4 and LSP-7) is an astonishing 3,800 km, no mean feat by any standards.

Following this, in a show of unprecedented & breathtaking proportions, the TEJAS grabbed the spotlight with a awe-inspiring mid-air precision display of its prowess as a modern flying machine.

Gireeshan, a proud NRI told IND's representative at the Air show, "I have only heard about this indigenous jet as I have been living in the Gulf region for more than 20 years. I was thrilled when I got the opportunity to witness the fighter first hand. It was a stunning display which relegated all other fighters at the show into the background."

Yusuf another spectator said, "It was heartwarming to see our fighter competing with its western counterparts. Since they have decades of experience in designing and manufacturing combat jets, it is no wonder that it took our country so many years to develop & perfect the technology as we are relatively new in this field."

Augmentation Plan

HAL is also ramping up production to seven units this year before doubling to 16 in 2018. HAL is also building an upgraded version the Mk1A, which features numerous production and system enhancements over an initial batch of 20 jets.

TEJAS has achieved a significant amount of maturity as more than 3,000 flights have been completed by ADA and the air force has received its first production example. The agencies have adopted a parallel process between test and evaluation and production.

With the deadline fast approaching for FOC Certification, work is under way to integrate the indigenous developed ASTRA active radar homing beyond-visual-range air-to-air missile (BVRAAM) and the Israeli Derby & Python-5 missiles with the TEJAS. The plan is to integrate both Close Combat Missiles (CCM) for short range interceptions and a BVRAAM suite for long range air-to-air defence. It is worthy to note that the Russian Vympel R-73 weapon has already been cleared for use by TEJAS.

Opportunities Galore

Opportunities are now abound for exploring potential export customers for the 4++ generation fighter. In terms of interest, BIAS was a good platform, and it was reported that the program will have interested people coming to India in April 2016. It is quite evident that PM Modi's "Make in India" program also extends to seeking international sales of its products. (With inputs from PTI, Globalflight & IANS)

Could be Oman. We have excellent relationship with them and Indian military help their defence forces in almost all areas so my guess would be Oman. Lets see.

Bahrain debut for export-ready Tejas fighter
  • 25 JANUARY, 2016
  • BY: CRAIG HOYLE
  • BAHRAIN
India is ready to start seeking export buyers for its Tejas light combat aircraft (LCA), supporting its message by sending two of the fighters overseas for the first time.

Speaking at the Bahrain International Air Show on 22 January, Dr S Christopher, director general of New Delhi’s Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), noted the Make in India policy also extends to seeking international sales of its equipment.

“Our aim is to ensure we have a quality product – not just for indigenous requirements, but also for export,” he says.

The first international deployment with the Tejas involved flying 970nm (1,800km) from Bengaluru to Jamnagar, before covering a further 650nm for a second refuelling stop in Muscat, Oman. The final leg was a 430nm transit to the show venue at Sakhir air base, near Manama. One aircraft took part in the daily flying display, with the deployment supported by around 50 personnel.

getasset.aspx

Craig Hoyle/Flightglobal

“In terms of interest, this is a good show for us,” says Christopher, who adds one nation in the region has requested information about the Hindustan Aeronautics (HAL)-built type. “We will have interested people coming to India in April,” he reveals.

“The LCA has been [made ready for production], and this year we will see an additional number of aircraft entering into [Indian air force] service,” says HAL chief executive R Kaveri Renganathan. “We are currently ramping up production – any export order, we would be ready to dovetail,” he adds.

Production of the Tejas will rise to seven units this year and eight in 2017, before doubling to 16 the following year. The latter advance will be made by building the Mk1A version of the fighter, which introduces numerous production and system enhancements over an initial batch of 20 jets. India plans to acquire 100 examples in the improved standard.

Also speaking at the show, Aeronautical Development Agency programme director C D Balaji notes more than 3,000 flights have been made by Tejas aircraft, and the air force has received its first production example. “It is a parallel process between test and evaluation and production,” he says, while adding: “there is a significant amount of maturity.”

Meanwhile head of flight test programme, Air Vice-Marshal J Chalapati, says work is under way to integrate a new advanced air-to-air missile with the Tejas. “There will be additional details within the next couple of months,” he adds. Russia’s Vympel R-73 weapon has already been cleared for use by the combat aircraft.

HAL’s Dhruv advanced light helicopter was also on show in Bahrain, with four examples flown by the Indian air force’s Sarang display team. The DRDO brought its indigenous airborne early warning and control system development of the Embraer ERJ-145 to the same event in 2014.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/bahrain-debut-for-export-ready-tejas-fighter-421182/

BS. No gulf state is buying this. Also to add, HAL has NO real SERVICE DEPARTMENT for foreign customers,, which was quite evident with Ecuadorian ALH Fiasco.

BS. No gulf state is buying this. Also to add, HAL has NO real SERVICE DEPARTMENT for foreign customers,, which was quite evident with Ecuadorian ALH Fiasco.

Bhaiyya, oil $120 se $30 tak sasta ho gaya !
Saudis Aramco bechane pe aa gaye ,Ab wo din gaye jab fanne khaan faakte udaya karte the !

Last edited:
HAL's hands will be full in the upcoming years with LCA(MK1, MK1A, MK2) for IAF and naval LCA for IN along with Sukhoi 30MKI upgrade to Super Sukhoi and probably FGFA and AMCA in the long run. It is already crying over the lack of manpower and also few articles state that 8-16 aircrafts can be produced per year. Based on these stats, it will be very difficult for HAL to produce additional aircraft for export purpose. Also the recent Ecuadorian ALH issue is a nightmare for HAL's export ambitions.

India should make one independent branch for exporting weapons only...A completely different branch who can handle production of weapons in small tranches for foreign customers..Brahmos,Pragati,Various radars and sonars etc are quite a catch for various countries if we play our game properly.If we can export helos/ships,small arms to different countries successfully,why not missiles and fighter jets??Domestic requirement should not create bottle neck for export,right??

I dont mind all the hype but Gulf people have deep pockets and their love for fancy toys with best of the best does not fit LCA Tejas scenario really. They can buy perhaps LIFT for training. BUt i would be more happy if customer is some smaller AF as it may fit its requirement much better than a deep pocket AF.

I dont mind all the hype but Gulf people have deep pockets and their love for fancy toys with best of the best does not fit LCA Tejas scenario really. They can buy perhaps LIFT for training. BUt i would be more happy if customer is some smaller AF as it may fit its requirement much better than a deep pocket AF.

Tejas and J-17 are interesting products when you consider the capability their advanced versions are projected to offer at relatively low cost.

However both the aircrafts in my amateur estimation have still a long way to go - particularly Tejas. Tejas specially is still 5/6 years away from exports - as it's current iteration is projected for limited production and run and IAF would need all the MK1A versions HAL would be pumping out '18 onwards. I suspect similar situation is there for J-17, barring export of small orders of 3/4 jets to Nigeria.

LCA has lot of export potential world wide, India can export these 4.5 generation fighter jets before 2020.

Do not forget India is adding Naval fighter jets as well, plus there will be a second production line for Tejas.

Good Development. I am sure Tejas have a great potential, and great future and as the ADA Chief quotes that LCA program will be the story, example and motivation to the generations in the Future.

1. Why can't Arab country enquire about the new bird called Tejas after its splendorous display in Behrain. I don't think any airforce would mind comparitively cheaper Jet with modern technology like Composite airframe, Superior engine like F-404INS with FADEEC, FBW, BVR Capable, Day night operation, wake penetration, inducted with the Airforce of India IAF, light, agile, supersonic in all altitude Multirole fighter jet with Naval Variant MK-2 Naval, and tandem Seat LIFT, and next avataar MK-2 in development, in short western tech. fighter plane with low cost, in short Bang to the COST.

2. To AL ASAD AL Mulk its obvious your *** in fire, but why showing your frustration here after all you are the future TT of the PDF and the one with unbiased thinking. Did anyone here including the OP had mentioned anything about replacement to F-16 or Mirrage 2000/2005.

3. @MilSpec 100% agreed, but not 100% shared his thoughts. Some how everything has a start, and has to made a start. Let the order comes, do you really think, that HAL or PVT company if getting profit is unable to meet the demand due to lack of industrial base or money.

4. To finalize a Deal takes time and if I am not wrong several years, so there is no point of discussing whether it has FOC which is due or the IAF own order. I am looking forward to the IAF MK2 with F-414In Engine, longer more agile, with AESA Radar(Uttam/EL/M2052), Astra MK2/MK2 BVRAAM, Internal Jammer (Vergilus), IRST, which will be the real competitor of the SAAB Grippen in true sense.

vcvc

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom