What's new

ICG Ship 'Samarth', the first in the series of six 105 m OPVs, commissioned at Goa

I wish we had better guns than the CRN 91 for these vessels. Not that CRN 91 is not fit for the job,but there are better guns with intellgent munitions like the Bofors 57mm,which can fit into these boats and can provide protection against missile threats too,though the cost wost would be higher

In numbers => Yes
In firepower => No

Not even in numbers, Pakistan coastline is only 1000 km, where as India's coastline is over 7500 km.

Look at the coastline they have to protect vs ours.
Is ICG 7.5 times bigger than PN?
:disagree:

Not even in numbers, Pakistan coastline is only 1000 km, where as India's coastline is over 7500 km.

Wrong, my friend when you are fighting a war then the size of country doesn't matter, size of Firepower's matters.
That's where the ICG has played its game.
Along with ICG the new Indian navy OPVs are going to be bramhos equipped.
Now remember the 71 and op python.

Wrong, my friend when you are fighting a war then the size of country doesn't matter, size of Firepower's matters.
That's where the ICG has played its game.
Along with ICG the new Indian navy OPVs are going to be bramhos equipped.
Now remember the 71 and op python.
This ICG vs PN debate is asinine my friend. They will never be pitted against one another, the ICG is a purely defensive law enforcement entity- the PN is a military force.

The ICG's Pakistani equivalent is the Maritime Security Agency (MSA).

The one thing that needs to be understood is that the ICG expansion is purely so that the obvious gaps in maritime security can be filled and thus release the IN back to their outward posture. Post 26/11 the IN was roped in to protect the coastline as a quick fix and this has remained ever since meaning you have vast warships with all that entails (weaponry, war fighters etc) worth huge amounts being used as patrol boats... a clear waste of resources. The current plan is to hand back over the responsibility of the entire Indian EEZ by 2025 to the ICG.

The ICG is NOT being raised for any military mission in mind and their rapid expansion would not be the case if complex weapons and sensor integration had to take place and funded.

This ICG vs PN debate is asinine my friend. They will never be pitted against one another, the ICG is a purely defensive law enforcement entity- the PN is a military force.

The ICG's Pakistani equivalent is the Maritime Security Agency (MSA).

The one thing that needs to be understood is that the ICG expansion is purely so that the obvious gaps in maritime security can be filled and thus release the IN back to their outward posture. Post 26/11 the IN was roped in to protect the coastline as a quick fix and this has remained ever since meaning you have vast warships with all that entails (weaponry, war fighters etc) worth huge amounts being used as patrol boats... a clear waste of resources. The current plan is to hand back over the responsibility of the entire Indian EEZ by 2025 to the ICG.

The ICG is NOT being raised for any military mission in mind and their rapid expansion would not be the case if complex weapons and sensor integration had to take place and funded.

Seems people have mixed the statements regarding arming of Navy's OPVs and Coast Guard OPVs. Arming a Coast Gaurd with offensive weapons will no longer leave it a coast guard.

But these OPVs should have proper Naval gun. The naval gun is a huge let down for me.

Back
Top Bottom