What's new

ICA verdict on Kishanganga Dam l Updates and Discussion

Great Developments in store then!!!
And say what; it'll help to make life better for the population of Jamu and Kashmir. Which will in turn help towards resolving matters in Kashmir. That will be another spin-off.
we should try to sell extra electricity to pakistan, that will bring good relation between us. I know its a bit offensive to suggest on this thread, to an ordinary pakistani, India is stealing electricity from river and selling them which they are the right owner.

@Aeronaut ... any reason to believe it is a victory for pakistan? anybody else whats to counter roybot's assertion that this is going to be a template for future dams in j&k. ?

It sets precedence so it is a template, given the nature of the earlier award it was prone to be overturned, this one on the other hand will last much longer. For Pakistan this is nothing close to a victory, their original contention was that dams such as Kishanganga was ab initio illegal under the IWT, needless to say that their primary contention was dumped and they failed to secure even 10% of their claim on minimum flow in cumec terms.

It sets precedence so it is a template, given the nature of the earlier award it was prone to be overturned, this one on the other hand will last much longer. For Pakistan this is nothing close to a victory, their original contention was that dams such as Kishanganga was ab initio illegal under the IWT, needless to say that their primary contention was dumped and they failed to secure even 10% of their claim on minimum flow in cumec terms.
we cant possibly measure success based on claims, especially you are the one who is getting something. Anything extra is a victory, is what pakistanis believed I think. I dont think they expected to get 100 cusec.
Overall its a good thing for their politicians, they wont be blamed for not reacting to dams made by us.

we should try to sell extra electricity to pakistan, that will bring good relation between us. I know its a bit offensive to suggest on this thread, to an ordinary pakistani, India is stealing electricity from river and selling them which they are the right owner.

Now where did you get this absurd idea of stealing electricity from water from? From Hafizzz Saeed?
The Hydel Plants are "run of the river"; i.e. water flows through the turbines.
After that "Electricity is still remaining within the water flow down-stream", LoL.
The down-stream riparian state can set up its own Power Plants to generate Hydel Power in turn PLUS drink up all that is left of the water (after generating its own power)!!

So far as sale of Surplus Power is concerned; great idea. If there is surplus power!
The Energy needs within India is galloping now; will there much surplus?

we cant possibly measure success based on claims, especially you are the one who is getting something. Anything extra is a victory, is what pakistanis believed I think. I dont think they expected to get 100 cusec.
Overall its a good thing for their politicians, they wont be blamed for not reacting to dams made by us.

Oh there is that, it should grant them some political cover. But victory and defeat can still be measured, their contention that a diversion was illegal under the IWT was not upheld, had it been upheld then it would have set a precedent and that would have been a victory. You seem to be failing in grasping the severity of their original contention, had it been upheld then any project akin to the Kishanganga on the three concerned rivers would have been held to be ab initio illegal too for the foreseeable future, this verdict just affirmed the opposite of what they were contending.

What this verdict does do however, is maintain the status quo of the water flowing in the river. While India was looking to what it wished with the water.. Paksitan wanted the water as it was. What this establishes is ensuring that the flow of water as is natural to the river and ecosystem remains.
The IWT is quite fair... and that is what has been upheld.

What this verdict does do however, is maintain the status quo of the water flowing in the river. While India was looking to what it wished with the water.. Paksitan wanted the water as it was. What this establishes is ensuring that the flow of water as is natural to the river and ecosystem remains.

That is already incorporated in the IWT. Nothing new has happened as you claim.
Neither does your contention that India was looking at doing "what it wished with the water".
This now formally allows India to construct the "run of the river" Hydel Projects that it has planned to.

I think the issue was,exact technicality of status quo was unknown..... good that pakistan went for international mediation, it made everything much clear and binding to both sides who dont trust each other.
Both sides should feel justice has been done.

Back
Top Bottom