What's new

IAF will still need 400 light class aircraft in next 2 decade

Whats the issue here??

40 tejas mk1 by 2017-18 or even before.
Then produce mk2 afterwards with target of 16 per year starting 2020

Whats the issue here??

issue is that IAF must increase the order of tejas Mk1 atleast another 60 total 100 till mk2 is ready production line can b utilized

Whats the issue here??

Do the math!

Compare how many that would give us, to how many we need.

Do the math!

Compare how many that would give us, to how many we need.

I know,,what i meant is or going to write was we can start a new line and jack up the production or deliveries will be late.
Someone rang the bell at the same time:mad:

I know,,what i meant is or going to write was we can start a new line and jack up the production or deliveries will be late.
Someone rang the bell at the same time:mad:
For reasons best known to themselves, IAF has made it clear that they will not order too many LCAs. And definitely not more than 40 Mk1s. Mass producing the LCA, incuding the Mk1, seems to be our only option to get the required number of light fighters in service, and to have an affordable force structure.

IMO we should keep producing MK1s until the Mk2 is actually ready for production - that would mean about 100 mk1s in service. Then set up a line for Mk2, and convert the Mk1 line for Mk2 as well. Then the whole strategy of having so many twin engined, expensive fighters (Rafale, MKI, FGFA) will make sense.

For reasons best known to themselves, IAF has made it clear that they will not order too many LCAs.
Exactly thats the point, mk 1 will not have more than 2 squadrons, and Mk 2 is atleast 4-5 years away (at least).
Assuming LCA 2 is the only option in that LIGHT class, it will be a big challenge for domestic manufacturers to churn up qualities (150+ odd) unless whole new line ups are created. Also in that span Navy will also have its orders placed and Rafales along with FGFA (& possibly AMCA) production will commence. All this is going to strain the existing capacities big time.

How can we get 40mk1 till 2018?

It's Nov 2014 and SP-1 is still being finished.

Attaching wings to fuselage isn't delivery ready.

We have capacity of 4 tejas per year and soon 8 per year.

But FOC will take 2 years minimum so I think 2022-23 is more realistic for mk2 completion

For reasons best known to themselves, IAF has made it clear that they will not order too many LCAs. And definitely not more than 40 Mk1s. Mass producing the LCA, incuding the Mk1, seems to be our only option to get the required number of light fighters in service, and to have an affordable force structure.

IMO we should keep producing MK1s until the Mk2 is actually ready for production - that would mean about 100 mk1s in service. Then set up a line for Mk2, and convert the Mk1 line for Mk2 as well. Then the whole strategy of having so many twin engined, expensive fighters (Rafale, MKI, FGFA) will make sense.
yeah it should be in that way. IAF always Known for using 2:1 formation.1 heavy class with two light class as Wingman.LCA IS Needed in adequate numbers two Keep this strategies On

Exactly . We can have mk1 produced until MK2 is ready. But I envy IAF point of view. By far MK2 is much better than MK1. With active radar , more powerful , more weapon carrying capacity. More range. Which means MK2 is our obvious choice for future front line fighter and the training with LCA can be a game changer. But sadly it will another 5 years or so for MK2 production. So IAF must rethink about its policy on Tejas. It's ok to pick the best fighter but we also need to think about the current situation of the Air force. (12 sq short) . We need fight with what we have. All the countries did the same from Us Russia France even sweds . Look at our navy ? Building stealth ship with 90%+ indigenous equipment dint happen in 1 / 2 yeas . It took decades for hard time to mature our technology. Some one must take a call on this issue . I don't see any problem having 4th gen fighter like Tejas MK1 over ageing mig fleet . Hope our PM take a note of this article

Private partnership production lines by HAL.

alternately they can also go for assembly and testing lines. Several PSUs outsource a lot of work to sub-vendors with their involvement limited to Quality Assurance part only. If government gives incentives, HAL can develop large pool of vendors (i'm sure they would be doing it already in some small measure) to do actual manufacturing. Electronic cards, fabrication, module manufacturing, foundry and casting works etc can be taken up by private companies and then as confidence in them builds up, larger jobs too can be outsourced. this way they'll not only generate employment but also develop competency in local industry to cope up for projected demands and their contribution to future projects.
Also also couldn't help noticing, that with a large fleet of ingeniously designed products, there will be a corresponding demand for spares too, which would further strain the limited capability (as of now) of HAL. if proper thought in long term planning is given right now, with government advocating Make in India concept, this actually could be a golden opportunity to create a domestic manufacturing capability in aviation.

LCA-Tejas-Programme-Labs-India-JPG.jpg

Back
Top Bottom