NATIONAL
IAF to adopt ASRAAM missile across its fighter fleet
Dinakar Peri
NEW DELHI, JULY 10, 2019 20:06 IST
UPDATED: JULY 10, 2019 20:06 IST

• SHARE ARTICLE
  • PRINT
  • A A A

ASRAAM is widely used as a Within Visual Range (WVR) air dominance missile with a range of over 25km.
The Indian Air Force (IAF) is looking to adopt a new European visual range air to air missile across its fighter fleet.

The Advanced Short Range Air-to-Air Missile (ASRAAM) of European missile-maker MBDA has been approved for fitting on Jaguar jets and the IAF was looking to integrating it on the Su-30MKIs and the indigenous Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) as well, defence sources said.

“The ASRAAM has been chosen for the Jaguar and is currently undergoing integration. First firing is expected by year-end,” a defence source said. It would be the first over the wing launched missile in the IAF inventory. All missiles are now fired from under the wing.

The missile was shortlisted through a tender and MBDA was working with Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) on the integration. After the initial trials, further modifications on the Jaguar would be done by HAL. “HAL is in talks with MDBA for integrating the missile on the LCA and the Su-30MKI as well. It will be taken up after the Jaguar integration,” the source added.

ASRAAM is widely used as a Within Visual Range (WVR) air dominance missile with a range of over 25km.

HAL had built about 145 Jaguars for the IAF, of which around 120 are in service, and 80 jets will continue till 2025-30. A plan to get a new more powerful engine has been long delayed.

https://www.thehindu.com/news/natio...-across-its-fighter-fleet/article28359593.ece

india is really trying to buy "skill" these days. All kinds of missiles and tech flowing in.

But then again I thought india was decades ahead of Pakistan in their BVR engagement learnings and know how and Pakistan would never be able to handle them in actual combat? (As claimed by indians)

But then February 27 happened...:crazy_pilot:
And since then "lungi dance, lungi dance, lungi dance" allover the place to acquire all kinds of tech.

india is really trying to buy "skill" these days. All kinds of missiles and tech flowing in.

But then again I thought india was decades ahead of Pakistan in their BVR engagement learnings and know how and Pakistan would never be able to handle them in actual combat? (As claimed by indians)

And since then "lungi dance, lungi dance, lungi dance" allover the place to acquire all kinds of tech.

All well and good, but how they are buying everything from Fighter jet to nut bolts, i just wonder what is make in India, we see every thing indigenous but buying everything.....

I wish them well in their endeavours of what ever they choose to acquire. At the end of the day for western companies its a healthy business and for India acquiring tools of bullying. All i am interested in is for to India keep away from our borders and sort out the Kashmir issue and live in peace so both countries can progress and prosper. They can do the Lungi dance or Modi spitting venom who the F*** cares.

Once a user of outdated, ineffective Russian weaponry; India, now getting hands on cutting edge Western technologies and weapons. An alarming situation for Pakistan. And one thing more, making fun of these kind of developments relating to india never gonna help Pakistan. I see people commenting that what ever india gets, Will not make any difference. They are living in fool's paradise

Once a user of outdated, ineffective Russian weaponry; India, now getting hands on cutting edge Western technologies and weapons. An alarming situation for Pakistan. And one thing more, making fun of these kind of developments relating to india never gonna help Pakistan. I see people commenting that what ever india gets, Will not make any difference. They are living in fool's paradise

imaan parast pakistani boombastic pailot is going to win irrespective of whatever enemy buys

All well and good, but how they are buying everything from Fighter jet to nut bolts, i just wonder what is make in India, we see every thing indigenous but buying everything.....
Make in india is the pilot that is about to die

India is missing the point and thinks that buying anything and everything will make them invincible.
Best of the best in pakistan go to the airforce with the highest rejection rate in the world.
The best of india go to business.
Pakistanis love to fight. Indian love to talk. In talk they have won everything but reality on the ground is different. Pakistan of today is not that of the 1970s. Inept leaders have been taken care of. Even NCO on the ground have orders to take command and shoot as they see fit. India is a big big wheel that requires huge amount of momentum to get going. By then the game is up.
Point in fact is feb 26 they came expecting no response. Pak military knew this was about to blow in their face if they didnt respond. When they responded they did it in style. And india had no answer. Hell they didnt even take off to protect their airfields. They knew what their public didnt. This is no movie. This is Pakistan

India ordered k-77m on emergency basis with 200 km range.even pesa radar on su-30 is good enough to guide these missiles and they can't be jammed as well.we are in big trouble.india wants another air battle with advantage on their side.kindly look at our airspace ban.situation is clear as crystal.

Last edited:
Bad nees is, while India getting Western technologies, Pakistan is turning towards Chinese and Russian weapons. India always Had quantitative advantage over Pakistan while Pakistan always enjoyed Qualitative advantage over India. But now, things are getting changed very rapidly. India securing qualitative advantage too along with quantitative.

Too many cooks spoil the broth....

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom