What's new

IAF to acquire 24 second-hand Mirages from France

INS_Vikrant

Reaction score
Country
India
Out of the 24 Mirage fighters, 13 are in complete condition with engine and airframe intact with eight of them ready to fly after servicing. (File Photo)
The Indian Air Force (IAF) is set to acquire 24 second-hand Mirage 2000 fighters, made by Dassault Aviation, in an attempt to strengthen its ageing fleet of the fourth-generation fighters and also secure parts for its two existing squadrons of the aircraft, people familiar with the matter said on condition of anonymity. IAF has initialled a contract worth 27 million euros to buy the fighters, eight of which are in ready-to-fly condition, the people cited above added. That works out to a per-aircraft acquisition cost of 1.125 million euros. The people cited above said the aircraft will soon be shipped to India in containers.
Out of the 24 fighters, 13 are in complete condition with engine and airframe intact with eight of them (nearly half a squadron) ready to fly after servicing. The remaining 11 fighters are partially complete but with fuel tanks and ejection seats, which will be scavenged to secure parts for IAF’s two existing squadrons of the fighter.

There is no contract in place for spares? It makes sense to raise another mirage squadron though.

I don’t think so as production stopped long ago, so for spares it’s a great choice.
2nd hand mirages can be acquired for that purpose and i think half a squadron will be raised from these mirages.
What is the plan for adding tejas this year?

It seems clear that IAF is not happy with the performance of Tejas so they are still investing in decades old mirages
These are for spares and half a squadron is to compensate for the crashed ones and some extra. Else we would not have bought 123 LCA.

Half a squadron added plus spares for rest of the existing ones, at cheap rate, excellent buy.

Last edited:
These are for spares and half a squadron is to compensate for the crashed ones and some extra. Else we would not have bought 123 LCA.
But the point is why waste money in 40 year old technology when you supposedly can build better aircraft at home in 2020. It clearly raises the doubt on the capabilities or should I say inability of Tejas

it completely makes economic sense for a lot of nations to buy these jets for example Zimbabwe or Sudan but India purchasing it in 2020 to prolong the shelf life of their existing fleet or to replace some of her existing fleet will raise doubt on their home grown product

But the point is why waste money in 40 year old technology when you supposedly can build better aircraft at home in 2020. It clearly raises the doubt on the capabilities or should I say inability of Tejas

it completely makes economic sense for a lot of nations to buy these jets for example Zimbabwe or Sudan but India purchasing it in 2020 to prolong the shelf life of their existing fleet or to replace some of her existing fleet will raise doubt on their home grown product

Pakistan will be happily ready to buy if 2nd hand F 16 fighter block 52 will available anywhere in the world.
Since it is the best available air asset in PAF inventory... Even you will be getting JF 17 block 3. what does mean?

It does not suit to troll as you are one of the most senior member in PDF.

Last edited:

If you think logically this purchase more of a war time preparation, m2k is one of the main work horse of IAF they even consider it as their primary multirole platform ( yes I know rafele with IAF but experience in m2k never going to be compensated by new rafele squad) so this buy mostly for spare and war time attrition, also paf done same for mirage 3 fighters, considering 30 mil for all these aircarfts is a good buy, also the m2k in IAF service are m2k upgraded not the standard m2k even the fighters getting in fly way conditions must undergo upgrades in order to used in IAF active squad.

Even, Pakistan will be happily ready to if 2nd hand F 16 fighter block 52 will available anywhere in the world.
Since it is the best available air asset in PAF inventory... Even you will be getting JF 17 block 3. what does mean?

It does not suit to troll as you are one of the most senior people in PDF.
I think he meant that Tejas still do not replace mirage 2000s. What do you say about it?

I think he meant that Tejas still do not replace mirage 2000s. What do you say about it?
Again think from logical standpoint, Tejas never meant to replace m2k, it ment for mig21 replacement and yes we all know how that went down ( :) ) yet even though they are in ok state now considering around 22 platform's in active services, you can't replace a light fighter for a medium weight fighter, it will be like using jf17 bk2 for f16 bk52 replacement

Ps: m2k replacement will be done with planed Tejas mk2 , considering HAL tradition on delivering aircarfts which we all have to wait and see

Pakistan will be happily ready to buy if 2nd hand F 16 fighter block 52 will available anywhere in the world.

It does not suit to troll as you are one of the most senior member in PDF.

But the point is, PAF still would be producing JF 17 III and put them in operations.
This is not happening with Tejas, that's the point he is making.

Next face off like 27 Feb 2019 "Teja Bahadur will be flying off so their pilots can taste the "Fantastic Teas"!!

Remember JF 17s were there in thick of things in Feb 2019.
Meanwhile "Teja Bahadur" were in some rusty hangers, playing softball. :sarcastic: :sarcastic:

Tejas is a failure but they won't admit it. If it was so good as they had been bragging for 10 years,they wouldn't be buying Rafale and Mirage 2000 by the dozens. Just like with Arjun,they kept saying it's among the best tanks in the world and they ended up buying more T-90s.

Back
Top Bottom