What's new

IAF expanding wings beyond Pakistan and China

1nd1a

Reaction score
NEW DELHI: India is gradually building powerful military capabilities in tune with its expanding geopolitical interests, which are no longer limited to the swathe stretching from the Persian Gulf to Malacca Strait, even as the eastern and western fronts are being strengthened to deter the twin Pakistan-China threat.

After the over Rs 3,00,000 crore plan to build a potent three-dimensional Indian Navy for the future, reported by TOI last month, it was IAF's turn on Monday to assert it was on the path to transform into a true aerospace power with the capability to rapidly deploy and operate around the globe.

"No other air force has attempted to modernize at such a fast pace in such a short span of 15 years," said Air Chief Marshal Norman Anil Kumar Browne, indicating a doctrinal shift in the run-up to IAF's 79th anniversary on October 8.

But he was quick to emphasize this did not mean "an expeditionary force" on the lines of the US Air Force. "We are not going to fight other people's wars. But yes, IAF must have the wherewithal to meet the requirements wherever India's strategic interests lie," said the IAF chief.

As for the two-front challenge, apart from progressively basing Sukhoi-30MKI fighters and missile squadrons in the two theatres, the plan also includes upgrading the Nyoma advanced landing ground in eastern Ladakh, located 23km from the LAC with China at an altitude of 13,300 feet.

"We want a 12,000-feet runway capable of handling fighters as well as transport aircraft at Nyoma. It will give us both defensive and offensive options. After being cleared by the defence ministry, it's now going to the Cabinet Committee on Security," said Browne.

Similarly, learning lessons from the 1999 conflict with Pakistan, the Kargil airstrip will be extended to ensure strategic airlift aircraft like C-17 Globemaster-III and C-130J 'Super Hercules' as well as fighters can operate from there. Moreover, the next six C-130Js, after the first six procured for the Hindon airbase for $1.2 billion, will be based at Charbatia (Orissa) for the eastern sector.

Armed with perspective plans till 2027, IAF is looking at a combat fleet of 250-300 fifth-generation fighter aircraft, 126-200 medium multi-role fighter aircraft and 270 Sukhoi-30MKI fighters, as also over 100 upgraded MiG-29s and Mirage-2000s. The estimated price tag for just these jets comes to over $70 billion.

"Our fighter squadrons will go up to 42 (from the existing 34) by end of the 13th Plan or 2022...We will be comfortable then,'' said ACM Browne.

Then, there are also different types of transport aircraft and helicopters, radars and missile systems, drones and mid-air refuellers in the pipeline to ensure modernization plans dovetail with long-term strategic interests.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/IAF-expanding-wings-beyond-Pakistan-and-China/articleshow/10224607.cms

:sniper:

Are you kidding me...the AC Marshall said they will maintain the strength of 34 squadron whatever happens. For god sakes 34 squadron won't be able to protect us in case of the famous two front war scenario.

How come our government let this happen. Around 3-4 decades back IAF used to have 60 squadron the it fell to 45 and now 34. Instead of increasing the strength we are decreasing especially when India is trying to increase its presence on a global scale. Atleast we should have 39.5 squadron.

I think IAF should use their option of purchasing extra 63 right now only and instead of making them within the country by our sloppy HAL we should ask the original vendor to supply them so that we can add 4-5 squadron to our fleet immediately because believe me my friends HAL won't be able to deliver MMRCA before 2025 which IAF cannot afford.

Can anybody please tell me what happened to the request that IAF sent to MOD for increasing the number of minimum squadron sanctioned to 42or 45 from present 39.5 ?

Are you kidding me...the AC Marshall said they will maintain the strength of 34 squadron whatever happens. For god sakes 34 squadron won't be able to protect us in case of the famous two front war scenario.

How come our government let this happen. Around 3-4 decades back IAF used to have 60 squadron the it fell to 45 and now 34. Instead of increasing the strength we are decreasing especially when India is trying to increase its presence on a global scale. Atleast we should have 39.5 squadron.

I think IAF should use their option of purchasing extra 63 right now only and instead of making them within the country by our sloppy HAL we should ask the original vendor to supply them so that we can add 4-5 squadron to our fleet immediately because believe me my friends HAL won't be able to deliver MMRCA before 2025 which IAF cannot afford.

Can anybody please tell me what happened to the request that IAF sent to MOD for increasing the number of minimum squadron sanctioned to 42or 45 from present 39.5 ?

I can't tell you what their aims with squadrons are, but when comparing it to the past, you should have one important point in mind, IAF in future will only have multi role fighters!
When you look at IAF fleet today and just take Mig 27 and Jaguar squads to account, we talk about 11.5 squadrons (source BR Aircraft Fleet Strength), but all these are single role fighters only without any A2A capability. So when they will be replaced with the same number of MRCA, IAF will remain with the same numbers, but will be more capable in the A2A role too. And now add all the Mig 21s as well, take to account that they will be replaced with LCA and MMRCAs and you have not only clearly better point defence capability, but also clearly more strike capability, although the numbers remains the same again.

"Our fighter squadrons will go up to 42 (from the existing 34) by end of the 13th Plan or 2022...We will be comfortable then,''
This is the key point.with depleting squadron strength IAF cant spread its wings.IAF shouldn't count its chicken before eggs hatch.

Source to likh do bhaiya :D

IAF is USAF undermaking...bs yar surgical strike na krna pleasee :pop:

Perhaps the government is replacing quantity with quality?

Dont you know that IAF/India govt is dreaming of its own NATO like alliance with india playing the role of USA.:D

Kalaikunda fighters in charge of Andaman and Nicobar Islands defences

Jayanta GuptaJayanta Gupta, TNN | Oct 3, 2011, 06.22AM IST

The air base at Kalaikunda will now play an extremely crucial role in the country's defences.
KALAIKUNDA: The air base at Kalaikunda will now play an extremely crucial role in the country's defences.

Aircraft based here will be involved in air defence over the strategic Andaman and Nicobar Islands and the Bay of Bengal. The tri-services command at the A&N Islands will be in charge of the squadrons of Su-30 MKIs and other advanced aircraft based at Kalaikunda for this specific purpose. This decision was taken when plans for basing Sukhois in the Andamans got scuttled after the 2004 tsunami in which the IAF lost assets. "Till now, Kalaikunda - while performing several other duties - has been a bridge with the Andamans. The role of the base will grow and aircraft based here will play a vital role in patrolling the skies over the Andamans and the Bay of Bengal. Kalaikunda will play several roles that include air defence, training and building better co-operation in the region for a possible Nato-like alliance with India playing the pivotal role," an official said.

The Kalaikunda airbase is nestled among forests of Sal in the Maoist badlands of West Midnapore. Set up by the Americans for its Superfortress bombers operating during the Burma campaign, the facility has grown steadily in importance over the years. "A large area falls within the responsibility of this base. There are several bases in the northeast but along the eastern coast, the closest one is in Chennai. It is our job to handle the defences along the coast and the Bay of Bengal region. We play host to several foreign air forces interested in joint exercises with the IAF," the official added.

"This is a very compact base built in classical American style. The Americans used to operate flights from Kalaikunda, Dudhkundi and Salua. Today, we have a radar station at Salua and Dudhkundi has been converted into an air-to-ground firing range. Over the years, Kalaikunda has developed into a major location for international air exercises. Soon, we shall have the Republic of Singapore Air Force visiting Kalaikunda. The base is close to Bay of Bengal where air-to-air firing can take place," says Air Commodore R Radhish, AOC, Air Force Station, Kalaikunda.

But Kalaikunda goes well beyond an exercise hub. Apart from the MiG-27 ground attack aircraft and MiG-21 Fn fighters of the OCU, squadrons of Su-30 MKIs and other advanced varieties from the IAF's fleet call on Kalaikunda on a regular basis. A squadron of Su-30 MKIs is now at the base.

Over the last few years, Delhi has started to realize that China is as great a threat as Pakistan and there has been a rush to upgrade facilities in the eastern and northeastern sector. Fighters from Kalaikunda can fly to the Andamans and beyond for longrange patrols. Unlike older aircraft, the Su-30 MKIs can fly at very slow speeds (nearly that of a helicopter) and carry out surveillance before zooming away at twice the speed of sound.

"In case of some mischief by our northern neighbour, this is the place where our defences can fall back to. Also this base is playing a crucial role in developing regional cooperation. There may come a time when a Nato-like organization develops here with India playing the role of the US. If this happens, our assets would no longer have to be on their toes for 365 days a year. Pilots of the Nato countries have to be on active duty for only 90 days at a stretch," an IAF official said.

Kalaikunda fighters in charge of Andaman and Nicobar Islands defences

IAF will have to replace lot of aging aircraft Mig-29s, Mirages, Sukois by 2022, the IAF Chief is definately forgetting the attrition and retirement factors. Even the Su-30 MKIs will be 18-20 years old by 2022? These #s do not add up?

So you believe HAL will not be able to produce 108 aircraft's until 2025 ???

IAF will have to replace lot of aging aircraft Mig-29s, Mirages, Sukois by 2022, the IAF Chief is definately forgetting the attrition and retirement factors. Even the Su-30 MKIs will be 18-20 years old by 2022? These #s do not add up?
dont worry india has got enough in her pocket to spend on these expensive toys

I can't tell you what their aims with squadrons are, but when comparing it to the past, you should have one important point in mind, IAF in future will only have multi role fighters!
When you look at IAF fleet today and just take Mig 27 and Jaguar squads to account, we talk about 11.5 squadrons (source BR Aircraft Fleet Strength), but all these are single role fighters only without any A2A capability. So when they will be replaced with the same number of MRCA, IAF will remain with the same numbers, but will be more capable in the A2A role too. And not add all the Mig 21s as well, take to account that they will be replaced with LCA and MMRCAs and you have not only clearly better point defence capability, but also clearly more strike capability, although the numbers remains the same again.

Around November 2010 we had below aircraft in combat role in IAF

Jaguar M/S (Active)118 (Ordered)12
MIG-21 (Active)157
MIG-23 (Active) 14
MIG-27 (Active)122
MIG-29 (Active)69
Mirage 2000H (Active)45
SU-30/MKI (Active)130 (Ordered)60+40
LCA (Ordered)20

For details you can see my another thread http://www.defence.pk/forums/india-defence/132055-world-air-force-detailed-report.html Its a detailed report about each and every country armed forces.

Updated. enjoy :enjoy:

Agreed. Exact numbers are given above. You missed couple of point's.

1. SU-30 MKI are getting upgraded. They are getting semi-stealth capabilities. So, we expect them to be around till 2030 atleast.
2. Mig-29's & Mirage's are getting upgraded too. We are paying a good amount of money for Mirage's upgrade just because there past records.
3. We are getting around 300 FGFA by 2020 - 2022.
4. About 126 MMRCA (I don't see this number going any more after mirage upgrade deal)
5. We have indigenous AMCA and LCA Mark II.

Taking all of them into account, will have a much better strength then anyone in the region.

I think they will be able to delivery it by 2020 - 2022. They are going to setup a dedicated production line for MMRCA, which will have a capacity to produce about 15 aircraft a year. I would agree if there is a little bit of delay, due to technology consumption and infrastructure.

:sniper:

Have your herd of the SUPER MKI UPG? look it up- a direct answer to your q.

Perhaps the government is replacing quantity with quality?
You are right about that but when you are facing lot of challenges ranging from Piracy to naxalites to unprotected coastline and troublesome neighborhood and expanding strategic asset in even different continents, we should really think about expending also. Not to mention i didn't included the large number of islands which are left defenseless and which will start facing danger of encroachment in the future.

The 34 squadron strength will not going to cut it out for a country which wanna be global superpower and who wanna be part of UNSC. Hell according experts just to ensure a proper safety of the country in case of a two front war country needs to have atleast (i am saying minimum) 39.5 squadron. My friend this situation should not have arisen in the first place.

Our ACM is saying that we are the fastest changing air force in the world or something like that but here's a shocker why our force is upgrading so quickly because in the history of independent India this is the time when our air force is weakest.

When you look at IAF fleet today and just take Mig 27 and Jaguar squads to account, we talk about 11.5 squadrons (source BR Aircraft Fleet Strength), but all these are single role fighters only without any A2A capability. So when they will be replaced with the same number of MRCA, IAF will remain with the same numbers, but will be more capable in the A2A role too. And not add all the Mig 21s as well, take to account that they will be replaced with LCA and MMRCAs and you have not only clearly better point defence capability, but also clearly more strike capability, although the numbers remains the same again.
You are right but my friend we have too many assets to protect and as we grow as a global power and as we grow as a economy we will have much more assets with strategic importance to protect. By 2020 IAF will face way more challenges and funny thing is they will be able to get ready for challenges which they might have faced 2 decades ago during 2000.

Not to mention the schedule to deliver new air-crafts and the retiring ones are too tight. There's no way our companies can pull this off and our strength can definitely go below 34 squadron may be for a year or two.

As per the facility being set up by HAL for MMRCA, the production rate is too less and according to this rate the work will be finish by 2022 without even a years delay but thats not possible. I don't even see the work on MMRCA to start in 2014. There will be delays from our side and also from the opposite side. Even HAL in their 2020 plan said the work will start from 2015.

Hw the Air chief Marshall disclosed the no. of squadron in public? at crucial time wen v facing two front war threat.May be its a kind of tactics and I think probably v have more squadron .

The entire world is drastically reducing their air force size. India's decrease in number of combat aircraft is going to be much smaller than America, Russia, or China. In fact, the IAF might end up being the second best armed air force in the world (or possibly even the best armed, depending on what America ends up doing).

Back
Top Bottom