What's new

I was stopped at US airports because of my surname:Irrfan

@Not Sure I agree with all your point and accept that Irrfan was wrong. I am just putting the other side of story and how a normal Indian takes it because of discrimination he.she is facing due to crimes of others. I have to put the other perspective otherwise what's the point of being a Jnr. Think Tank if I have to defend the popular idea on thread.

You are a rational person, you accept it. A normal Indian don't. That's the issue. Even an actor doesn't understand it.

I apologize for my behavior, I didn't want to go too personal.

I was hyper on the US poster because he said few things that reminded me of personal experience. And I said sorry in the last sentence.

@Solomon2 @American Pakistani I apologize for being hyper. Being angry for last 3 days because of knowing someone lost life in a terrorist attack and other reasons.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Solomon2 Dude, US knew Pakistan was using those Mujaheedins against India and you still didn't do anything. You left the mess as you weren't going to be affected as you are half the world across with an ocean in between, but we paid the price of your adventure to defeat Soviet.
Some of us tried. You've heard of the Stephen Solarz, right? He was the guy who tried attaching lots of strings to keep Pakistan's nuclear program from progressing. The Reaganites, obsessed with defeating Communism, worked hard to get around them.

We are shouting loud about this Islamic terrorism and the coming danger while loosing thousands of people every year but you guys were lost in your Sex,Drgs and RicknRoll.
The Brits said much the same during The Blitz.

You don't know how it feels to grow up in a country where people are killed in bomb blasts and terrorist attacks in Hotels, Local Trains, Street Markets. In my city there were serial blasts.
Unlike most Americans I've had friends and neighbors who were victims of terror attacks before 9/11 and as a Zionist there is a special place in my heart for Israel's unjust sufferings.

You could have stopped Pakistan but you didn't just like you could have stopped Saddam from killing thousands of Iranians and his own people by chemical weapons. As its all about your national interest.
I doubt anything the U.S. could have done would have stopped Pakistan from waging proxy war over Kashmir; that started at Day One of independence. I number myself among those Americans who wanted to stop Saddam sooner rather than later, but indeed the U.S. functions out of national interest and not as you would like, the world's policeman.

In Rwanda, US could have saved many people but it didn't even with its Marines along with thousands of UN peace Keeping and European forces.
Bill Clinton cites Rwanda as his greatest failure - he thinks he should have done something. India, though, is a lot closer - was there some reason India didn't act?

Same as you could have stopped East Pakistan genocide but you didn't and even came to support the war criminals.
You can hang that on the Nixon Administration but not me personally, nor my family.

Leave that actor, you did same to our ex-President APJ Abdul Kalam. Tell me was he a security risk ?
Nobody at TSA would have the slightest clue until he or she checked their lists, and that takes time. It's annoying but, like the weather, it's something one has to put up with at U.S. airports.

@Solomon2 Buddy, I meant US government, not you. Sorry for your loss. I apologize if I offended you.

[MENTION=37034] I apologize for being hyper. Being angry for last 3 days because of knowing someone lost life in a terrorist attack and other reasons.

What's wrong man? I am sorry I had no idea and went monkey on you.

I am really sorry brother.

So dragging Pakistan in your issues was right? I don't really care what happens in india or with india. The thread was about india & US, so how is it rite to drag Pakistan into it?

My point when i mention Hagel was that Americans are not dumb people, they knows what's going on where. Like Hagel, American Intel, govt Officials, Military bosses, etc are all fully aware of indian involvement in terrorism issues, but currently india possesses no threat to US but just it's neighbours so they are silent. Hope you get my point.

I know a bit of indian politics so i can confidently say that Shinde retracted & apologized because of upcoming indian elections, but the truth has already slip out.

Taking seriously doesn't mean you stop following Forum rules or start trolling...does it?

Trust me your govt cannot do a single thing no matter what...it is Americans who provide you jobs & business...come out of nationalism & think rationally for once.

you should see what Richard Clark says about Pakistanis and Pakistan .................. go on you tube and watch that bill maher show........ Pakistanis are "pathological Liars" ......

What's wrong man? I am sorry I had no idea and went monkey on you. I am really sorry brother.

@Solomon2 @Not Sure Thanks guys for understanding, I should really work on my recent outbursts.

@Not Sure Buddy, you don't have to be sorry.You brought me down with rationality. Appreciate it. Little relieved actually as rationality cures emotions like anger. :D

That's not the issue buddy.
If you have suspicion and differentiate on Basis of Religion, that is wrong. Come up with some better excuse. If you say, Sir you are from South Asia, we have to ask you some questions.

He asked the officer, If you guys don't trust us, then why give VISA at first place, that Officer said, Are you threatening me.

Point is why Indian Muslims ? They haven't killed a single American instead they are the victim of paranoia and profiling by US officials because of some Islamic terrorists from KSA, Pakistan etc.

Instead of religion, go by country specific.

They have to live with it,

no choice unless they fix it themselves.

My name is Khan and I am not a
terrorist. This catch dialogue from
Shah Rukh Khan's movie "My
Name is Khan" must have
reverberated through actor Irrfan Khan's mind when he was stopped "several
times" by the immigration authorities at the US
airports. "It's humiliating. They don't even disclose the
reason," says Irrfan, who is one of the most
recognised actors from India in Hollywood
having worked in Oscar-winner 'Slumdog
Millionaire', 'Life of Pi' and crowd pleaser 'Spider-
Man'. "Actually, I don't use my surname Khan in films,
but in passports, surname and religion are
required. I was stopped not once, but several
times at airports in the US. "Once I told the immigration people, why do you
issue visas, if you don't want to give us entry,
and the man scowled at me saying --Are you
threatening me?," Irrfan said on a TV show. Irrfan was detained twice at the US airports-- at
Los Angeles airport in 2008 and at New York
airport in 2009. But, he is not the only celebrity to face this
problem. Shah Rukh, his co-star and producer in
'Billu', was infamously stopped at the Newark
airport in 2009. He faced a similar problem last
year at the New York airport. Other prominent Indians who have gone
through a similar ordeal are former President APJ
Abdul Kalam, John Abraham, Neil Nitin Mukhesh
and Kabir Khan to name a few. The actor, who is currently starring in Tigmanshu
Dhulia's 'Sahib, Biwi Aur Gangster Returns', says
he is tired of facing this whenever he travels to
US. "The policemen with big guns just take you to a
room and ask you to sit. They don't allow you to
speak to anybody, nor use cellphones. And after
long waits, they come and simply say --'Go,
please go'. "So now, I have told my hosts clearly that if I am
stopped at the airport, I will just buy a ticket and
return to India," said Irrfan.

I was stopped at US airports because of my surname: Irrfan - The Times of India

Silly publicity...Last week I was travelling from Denver airport to Dallas and i was questioned for 30 min....Basic regular questioning validating our facts are correct...But does that mean i will complain that being an India, they targeted me? This is ridiculous....Being questioned is not any matter of shame..rather people like us should cooperate more so as to make life of security staff easy and prevent any bad incident to happen...

Every incident has positive and negative aspect....It is upto Individual to decide which perception is to be taken up..

Silly publicity...Last week I was travelling from Denver airport to Dallas and i was questioned for 30 min....Basic regular questioning validating our facts are correct...But does that mean i will complain that being an India, they targeted me? This is ridiculous....Being questioned is not any matter of shame..rather people like us should cooperate more so as to make life of security staff easy and prevent any bad incident to happen...

Every incident has positive and negative aspect....It is upto Individual to decide which perception is to be taken up..

If you travel frequently, TSA has several Trusted Traveler Programs which will save you issues like this.

If you travel frequently, TSA has several Trusted Traveler Programs which will save you issues like this.

This is my 1st time experience..But again...it never happened with my 10 year experience...I think if it happened to me...i may do it again..Thanks for your suggestion...

Back
Top Bottom