What's new

I, Maha Sapta Sindhu

Joe

There should never be point scoring involved in such discussions..
This is not a debate on pros or cons.. but rather a cumulative discourse on what was the identity of Indian Muslims pre partition..and what is the identity of Pakistani and Indian Muslims now ..I appreciate you stating it.

Thank you.

One leans only after being exposed to a certain attitude continuously....whatever the degree of the shift in opinion..it takes actual knowledge to stay unbiased..and not rhetoric.

I could not agree more. It is so easy to fall behind due to the facts having overtaken one's earlier position.

The highlighted parts I could not agree with more, I feel the same way about my nation..

I was completely confident that you would agree, because it is the only reasonable way to be.

Coming to the issue of Vande Mataram.. I wasn't actually critiquing the subject matter.. rather its use..which you so eloquently pointed out was based on religious politics... but rather the need for the Indian Muslim to somehow identify themselves as more "Indian".

To be honest, as is my wont, I picked up your reference to unburden myself of something that even those strongly supporting the singing of Vande Mataram don't always suspect; that the author was a consummate craftsman, and put an inspiring song in the mouth of a wild-eyed fanatic, deliberately putting that uncontrollable explosion of feeling into a less-than-restrained character.Above all, he was not the anti-Islamic monster people think him to be, without reading his works (which I enjoy hugely, btw).

But I agree, it was not fair to include that bit without a caveat exonerating you and excluding your views. Sorry. Put it down to my aching need to get this bit off my chest.

Again my experience is limited to what I observed in person..and what I hear from the section of my family across the border.

Compared to any other Indian I have met of other/no beliefs .. they are more defensive of Indian policy..more overtly "patriotic"..and more propagative of what I now sarcastically tease them with..the "all is well" mantra.

Generally Indians are more private and guarding about their national issues.. but there is a fine line where one can tell.. in the words of Kaifi Azmi.."Tum itna jo Muskura rahe ho, kya ghum hai jo chupa rahe ho"...

And this observation was not confined to just those related to me..
(although it is possible.. that the issues may not just be confined to the community.. but rather the whole area..as pointed out elsewhere to me the Northern states are less developed).

This is a very shrewd observation, and bang on for both sides, what Agnostic Muslim calls the excessively self-critical Pakistani liberal, as well as for the ever-victorious Indian viewing whatever subject is under discussion.

I would like to respond to it separately; perhaps two hours from now.

Never heard of it before today. If the reference is to the Sapta Sindhu of the Rig veda then it revolves principally around the great river Saraswathi & her sister rivers not the Indus (though included as a sister river of saraswathi) as the gentleman who wrote the article thinks. Can't find a reference to Maha Sapta Sindhu. The guy probably just made that one up.

I'm not sure but the Indus was called Sindhu at one time. It could be writer's adaptation. Or perhaps it means the greater of the seven ! Not sure..

The formation of the Punjabi language in literature comes from the Great Sufi Saints of the Punjab, up till then the literature of the Punjabi language was virtually zero. So apart of the non-violent conversion of the masses, their literary contribution cannot be overlooked.

The same can be said for the Sindhi language.

---------- Post added at 06:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:39 PM ----------

Karthic, this study on Tipu may interest you -

TIPU SULTAN - VILLAIN OR HERO?

By the way, there is an excellent collection of digitized books at

Voice of Dharma - Books and Articles

Tipu was a hero, as far as all right thinking people are concerned:smitten:

imwat.jpg

K. S. Lal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Contents

Indian Muslims - Prologue

Chapter 1 - Early Muslims

Chapter 2 - Rise of Muslims under the Sultanate

Chapter 3 - Proselytization in Provincial Muslim Kingdoms

Chapter 4 - Growth under the Mughals

Chapter 5 - Factors Contributing to the Growth of Muslim Population

Chapter 6 - Factors which Checked Islamization of India

Epilogue

Bibliography

Last edited:
It is the search of identity that motivates such "historians"..
An identity that would have been forged properly had Jinnah lived long enough..
unfortunately.. it is only half complete.

Pakistanis should be happy with the name Pakistan, which was forged by Chowdhury Rahmat Ali. His pan-Islamic thought propelled him to dream of a single muslim country consisting of Punjab (P), A (Afghaniya or Pushtun areas of British India), K (Kashmir), I (Iran), S (Sindh), T (Turkey), A (Afghanistan), N (BaluchistaN). About the would be east Pakistan, he had envisioned a separate country called Bangistan.

So, initially it was just a wild dream, and not all his dreams came true. But, the name Pakistan was given to the new Muslim country bifurcated from mother Hindustan.

I have read many Pakistanis are trying to go to a fanatasy land where they would say Pakistan is real India because the river Indus is in Pakistan. Interestingly, in Bengali, name of this river is not Indus, but Sindh. And Pakistan has a Province called Sindh, which is named after this river.

In ancient times, the entire area consisting of present-day Pakistan (minus Baluchistan and frontier areas), India and Bangladesh was called by the name Hindustan. However, the history of Afghanistan and Pushtun-speakers are also inter-linked with the history of Hindustan.

Strictly speaking, areas that lie in the east of Jhelum are Hindustan. But, due to historical intermingling of politics since the time of Alexander/Chandragupta Maurya, Afghanistan has also become a part of Hindustan.

Now, this entire region has been divided into four countries. But, all of these people residing in these countries are basically Hindustani. So, logically Pakistanis can call themeselves also as west Hindustani, if they like to do so. And Bangladeshis can also call themselves as east Hindustanis.

When it is Arab land, it is divided into many. But, they all call themselves Arabs. People of different countries in Europe call themselves also europeans. However, fundamentalism and also hegemonism have created such a situation that except for the Indian themselves, other country's people in the region avoid to denote themselves as Hindustanis.

The contention in this piece of RSS propaganda that Sufis converted people by force is indeed laughable.

Abul Hassan Ali Ibn Usman al-Jullabi al-Hajvery al-Ghaznawi or Abul Hassan Ali Hajvery (ابوالحسن علی بن عثمان الجلابی الهجویری الغزنوی) (sometimes spelled Hujwiri, Hajweri, Hajveri), also known as Daata Ganj Bakhsh (Persian/Urdu: (داتا گنج بخش) or Daata Sahib (Persian/Urdu: (داتا صاحب), was a Persian Sufi and scholar during the 11th century. He significantly contributed to the spreading of Islam in South Asia

Hazrat Bābā Farīduddīn Mas'ūd Ganjshakar (Punjabi: حضرت بابا فرید الدّین مسعود گنج شکر (Shahmukhi), ਹਜ਼ਰਤ ਬਾਬਾ ਫ਼ਰੀਦੁਦ੍ਦੀਨ ਮਸੂਦ ਗੰਜਸ਼ਕਰ (Gurmukhi)) (1173–1266)[1][2] or (1188 (584 Hijri) - May 7, 1280 (679 Hijri)),[3][4] commonly known as Baba Farid (Punjabi: بابا فرید (Shahmukhi), ਬਾਬਾ ਫ਼ਰੀਦ (Gurmukhi)), was a 12th-century Sufi preacher and saint of the Chishti Order of South Asia.[1]
Hazrat Baba Fariduddin Ganjshakar, a Sufi, is generally recognized as the first major poet of the Punjabi language[3] and is considered one of the pivotal saints of the Punjab region. Revered by Muslims and Hindus, he is also considered one of the fifteen Sikh Bhagats within Sikhism and his selected works form part of the Guru Granth Sahib, the Sikh sacred scripture.

Poetry

Farīdā bhumi rangāvalī manjhi visūlā bāg

Fareed, this world is beautiful, but there is a thorny garden within it.

Farīdā jo taīN mārani mukīāN tinhāN na mārē ghumm

Fareed, do not turn around and strike those who strike you with their fists.

Farīdā jā lab thā nēhu kiā lab ta kūṛhā nēhu

Fareed, when there is greed, what love can there be? When there is greed, love is false.

Kālē maiḍē kapṛē, kālā maiḍā wais,

GunahīN bhariyā maiN phirāN, Lōk kahaiN darvēsh

Laden with my load of misdeeds, I move about in the garb of black garments.

And the people see me and call me a dervish.

GallīN cikkaṛ dūr ghar, nāḷ piyārē nīNh,

ChallāN tē bhijjē kamblī, rahāN tāN ṭuṭṭē nīNh.

My promise to my love, a long way to go and a muddy lane ahead

If I move I spoil my cloak; if I stay I break my word.

One of Farīd’s most important contributions to Punjabi literature was his development of the language for literary purposes. Whereas Sanskrit, Arabic, Turkish and Persian had historically been considered the languages of the learned and the elite, and used in monastic centres, Punjabi was generally considered a less refined folk language. Although earlier poets had written in a primitive Punjabi, before Farīd there was little in Punjabi literature apart from traditional and anonymous ballads. By using Punjabi as the language of poetry, Farīd laid the basis for a vernacular Punjabi literature that would be developed later.

Among the famous people who have visited his shrine over the centuries are the famous scholar-explorer Ibn Battuta, who visited in 1334,[12] and the Founder of Sikhism, Guru Nanak Dev, who met the then head of the shrine, Sheikh Ibrāhīm, twice, and his meeting led to the incorporation of 112 couplets (saloks) and four hymns by Bābā Farid, in the Sikh Holy Book, the Guru Granth Sahib, by the fifth Guru, Arjan Dev in 1604.[4] Guru Nanak was familiar with the verse of Bābā Farīd, and not only includes these verses in the Holy Book, but even comments on some of them.[13] These verses are known to the Sikhs as the Farīd-Bānī; Guru Arjan Dev also added eighteen saloks from the Sikh Gurus, which add commentary to various of Bābā Farīd's work.

Charity food called Langar is distributed all day by visitors and the Auqaf Department, which administrates the shrine. The shrine is open all day and night for visitors.

---------- Post added at 07:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 PM ----------

Hazrat Bābā Farīduddīn Mas'ūd Ganjshakar (Punjabi: حضرت بابا فرید الدّین مسعود گنج شکر (Shahmukhi), ਹਜ਼ਰਤ ਬਾਬਾ ਫ਼ਰੀਦੁਦ੍ਦੀਨ ਮਸੂਦ ਗੰਜਸ਼ਕਰ (Gurmukhi)) (1173–1266)[1][2] or (1188 (584 Hijri) - May 7, 1280 (679 Hijri)),[3][4] commonly known as Baba Farid (Punjabi: بابا فرید (Shahmukhi), ਬਾਬਾ ਫ਼ਰੀਦ (Gurmukhi)), was a 12th-century Sufi preacher and saint of the Chishti Order of South Asia.[1]
Hazrat Baba Fariduddin Ganjshakar, a Sufi, is generally recognized as the first major poet of the Punjabi language[3] and is considered one of the pivotal saints of the Punjab region. Revered by Muslims and Hindus, he is also considered one of the fifteen Sikh Bhagats within Sikhism and his selected works form part of the Guru Granth Sahib, the Sikh sacred scripture.

Poetry

Farīdā bhumi rangāvalī manjhi visūlā bāg

Fareed, this world is beautiful, but there is a thorny garden within it.

Farīdā jo taīN mārani mukīāN tinhāN na mārē ghumm

Fareed, do not turn around and strike those who strike you with their fists.

Farīdā jā lab thā nēhu kiā lab ta kūṛhā nēhu

Fareed, when there is greed, what love can there be? When there is greed, love is false.

Kālē maiḍē kapṛē, kālā maiḍā wais,

GunahīN bhariyā maiN phirāN, Lōk kahaiN darvēsh

Laden with my load of misdeeds, I move about in the garb of black garments.

And the people see me and call me a dervish.

GallīN cikkaṛ dūr ghar, nāḷ piyārē nīNh,

ChallāN tē bhijjē kamblī, rahāN tāN ṭuṭṭē nīNh.

My promise to my love, a long way to go and a muddy lane ahead

If I move I spoil my cloak; if I stay I break my word.

One of Farīd’s most important contributions to Punjabi literature was his development of the language for literary purposes. Whereas Sanskrit, Arabic, Turkish and Persian had historically been considered the languages of the learned and the elite, and used in monastic centres, Punjabi was generally considered a less refined folk language. Although earlier poets had written in a primitive Punjabi, before Farīd there was little in Punjabi literature apart from traditional and anonymous ballads. By using Punjabi as the language of poetry, Farīd laid the basis for a vernacular Punjabi literature that would be developed later.

Among the famous people who have visited his shrine over the centuries are the famous scholar-explorer Ibn Battuta, who visited in 1334,[12] and the Founder of Sikhism, Guru Nanak Dev, who met the then head of the shrine, Sheikh Ibrāhīm, twice, and his meeting led to the incorporation of 112 couplets (saloks) and four hymns by Bābā Farid, in the Sikh Holy Book, the Guru Granth Sahib, by the fifth Guru, Arjan Dev in 1604.[4] Guru Nanak was familiar with the verse of Bābā Farīd, and not only includes these verses in the Holy Book, but even comments on some of them.[13] These verses are known to the Sikhs as the Farīd-Bānī; Guru Arjan Dev also added eighteen saloks from the Sikh Gurus, which add commentary to various of Bābā Farīd's work.

Charity food called Langar is distributed all day by visitors and the Auqaf Department, which administrates the shrine. The shrine is open all day and night for visitors.

Waris Shah (Punjabi: وارث شاہ, ਵਾਰਿਸ ਸ਼ਾਹ) (1722–1798) was a Punjabi Muslim poet, renowned for his contribution to Punjabi literature. He is best-known for his seminal work Heer Ranjha, based on the traditional folk tale of Heer and her lover Ranjha. Heer is considered one of the quintessential works of classical Punjabi literature. The story of Heer was also put to paper by several other writers, including Damodar Das, Mukbal, and Ahmed Gujjar, but Waris Shah's version is by far the most popular today

Waris Shah was born in Jandiala Sher Khan, Punjab into a reputed Syed family who claimed descent from prophet Muhammad. His father's name was Gulshar Shah. Waris Shah acknowledged himself as a disciple of Pir Makhdum of Kasur. Waris Shah's parents are said to have died when he was young, and he probably received his education at the shrine of his preceptor. After completing his education in Kasur, he moved to Malka Hans, a village twelve kilometers north of Pakpattan. Here he resided in a small room, adjacent to a historic mosque, now called Mosque Waris Shah. His mausoleum is a place of pilgrimage today, especially for those in love.

Waris Shah is also called Shakespeare of the Punjabi language because of his great poetic love story, Heer Ranjha. Some critics say that through this story of romantic love, he tried to portray the love of man for God (the quintessential subject of Sufi literature).
He was a consummate artiste, deeply learned in Sufi and domestic cultural lore. His verse is a treasure-trove of Punjabi phrases, idioms and sayings. His minute and realistic depiction of each detail of Punjabi life and the political situation in the 18th century, remains unique. Waris Shah also sublimated his own unrequited love for a girl (Bhag Bhari) in writing romance.
Many verses of Waris Shah are widely used in Punjab in a moral context. One of the more popular is
"Waris Shah; Naa adataan jaandiyan ne, Bhavein katiye poriyan poriyan ji"
(Waris Shah says: A man never abandons his habits, even if he is hacked to pieces)

Excerpt from Heer Waris Shah

Translation: "First of all let us acknowledge God, who has made love the worth of the world, Sir,
It was God Himself that first loved, and the prophet (Muhammad) is His beloved, Sir "
According to folklore, the tomb of Heer is located in Jhang, Punjab, Pakistan.

Last edited:
The contention in this piece of RSS propaganda that Sufis converted people by force is indeed laughable.

"The Mohammedan Conquest of India is probably the bloodiest story in history. It is a discouraging tale, for its evident moral is that civilization is a precarious thing, whose delicate complex of order and liberty, culture and peace may at any time be overthrown by barbarians invading from without or multiplying within."

THE MOSLEM CONQUEST OF INDIA by Will and Ariel Durant
Chapter 6, Volume 1 of The Story of Civilization

download - moslem conquest of india - will durant.pdf

THE MOSLEM CONQUEST OF INDIA by Will and Ariel Durant
Chapter 6, Volume 1 of The Story of Civilization

download - moslem conquest of india - will durant.pdf

You people love to talk about past memories, fine but lets start with hindu killings.
What about the 330 million people killed during mahabharta wars
What about millions of people slaughtered during Hindu Asoka reign
What about Sunga dynasty and Gupta empire exterminating budhism
Millions of Jain killed
Buddihism and Jainism exterminated from its place of birth, Bharat
Not only that hindus chased those buddhist as far as Indonesia

Even up to this day buddhists(sinhalese) are being killed by hindus(tamil tiger)

@PureAryan all those battles did not have a religious colour to them

PureAryan said:
What about the 330 million people killed during mahabharta wars

Yep there were billions of people in the subcontinent at that time :rolleyes:

PureAryan said:
What about millions of people slaughtered during Hindu Asoka reign
What about Sunga dynasty and Gupta empire exterminating budhism

Guptas!!!! Buddhism was under royal patronage under the Guptas.

PureAryan said:
The Gupta Empire is considered by many scholars to be the "classical age" of Hindu and Buddhist art and literature. The Rulers of the Gupta Empire were strong supporters of developments in the arts, architecture, science, and literature. The Gupta Empire circulated a large number of gold coins, called dinars, and supported the Universities of Nalanda and Vikramasila.

During the Sunga period there was some minor conflict which is still matter of debate

PureAryan said:
Millions of Jainism killed

:rofl:

Learn to differentiate between a religion and it's followers

btw don't speak for us

@PureAryan all those battles did not have a religious colour to them

Yep there were billions of people in the subcontinent at that time :rolleyes:

Guptas!!!! Buddhism was under royal patronage under the Guptas.

During the Sunga period there was some minor conflict which is still matter of debate

:rofl:

Learn to differentiate between a religion and it's followers

btw don't speak for us
Buddhism’s Disappearance from India
Vinay Lal

---------------------------------
One of the supreme ironies of the history of Buddhism in India is the question of how Buddhism came to disappear from the land of its birth. Many scholars of Buddhism, Hinduism, Indian history, and of religion more generally have been devoted to unraveling this puzzle. There is no absolute consensus on this matter, and a few scholars have even contended that Buddhism never disappeared as such from India. On this view, Buddhism simply changed form, or was absorbed into Hindu practices. Such an argument is, in fact, a variation of the view, which perhaps has more adherents than any other, that Buddhism disappeared, not on account of persecution by Hindus, but because of the ascendancy of reformed Hinduism. However, the view that Buddhists were persecuted by Brahmins, who were keen to assert their caste supremacy, still has some adherents, and in recent years has been championed not only by some Dalit writers and their sympathizers but by at least a handful of scholars of pre-modern Indian history. [1]

What is not disputed is the gradual decline of Buddhism in India, as the testimony of the Chinese traveler, Hsuan Tsang, amply demonstrates. Though Buddhism had been the dominant religion in much of the Gangetic plains in the early part of the Christian era, Hsuan Tsang, traveling in India in the early years of the 7th century, witnessed something quite different. In Prayag, or Allahabad as it is known to many, Hsuan Tsang encountered mainly heretics, or non-Buddhists, but that is not surprising given the importance of Prayag as a pilgrimage site for Brahmins. But, even in Sravasti, the capital city of the Lichhavis, a north Indian clan that came to power around 200 AD, established their capital in Pasupathinath, and in a long and glorious period of reign extending through the early part of the ninth century endowed a large number of both Hindu and Buddhist monuments and monasteries, Hsuan Tsang witnessed a much greater number of “Hindus” (ie, non-Buddhists, such as Jains and Saivites) than Buddhists. Kusinagar, the small village some 52 kilometres from Gorakhpur where the Buddha had gone into mahaparinirvana, was in a rather dilapidated state and Hsuan Tsang found few Buddhists. In Varanasi, to be sure, Hsuan Tsang found some 3000 Bhikkus or Buddhist monks, but they were outshadowed by more than 10,000 non-Buddhists. There is scarcely any question that Hsuan Tsang arrived in India at a time when Buddhism was entering into a state of precipitous decline, and by the 13th century Buddhism, as a formal religion, had altogether disappeared from India. [2] But even as Buddhism went into decline, it is remarkable that the great seat of Buddhist learning, Nalanda, continued to flourish, retaining its importance until the Muslim invasions of the second millennium. Moreover, it is from Nalanda that Padmasambhava carried Buddhism to Tibet in the eighth century. Consequently, even the story of Buddhism in India cannot be unequivocally written in a single register of decline.

To consider the question somewhat more systematically, we might wish to consider in serial order the various reasons advanced for Buddhism’s decline and disappearance from India. The various arguments can be grouped under the following headings: sectarian and internal histories, focusing on schisms within the Buddhist faith, the widening differences between the clergy, Bhikkus, and laity, and the growing corruption within the sangha; histories focused on Buddhism’s relations with Brahmanism, dwelling on the alleged persecution of Buddhists by Brahmins, the defeat of the Buddhists by the great theologian Shankara in public debates, as well as on the supposedly characteristic tendency of Hinduism, or rather Brahmanism, to absorb its opponents; and, finally, secular and political histories, which emphasize the withdrawal of royal patronage from Buddhism and, later, the Muslim invasions which had the effect of driving into extinction an already debilitated faith.

Turning our attention to what I have described as sectarian histories, it is generally conceded that the Buddhist clergy paid insufficient attention to its laity. Buddhist mendicants kept their distance from non-mendicants, and as scholars of Buddhism have noted, no manual for the conduct of the laity was produced until the 11th century. Non-mendicants may not have felt particularly invested in their religion, and as the venues where the mendicants and non-mendicants intersected gradually disappeared, the laity might have felt distanced from the faith. The contrast, in this respect, with Jainism is marked. Some scholars have also emphasized the narrative of decay and corruption within a faith where the monks had come to embrace a rather easy-going and even indolent lifestyle, quite mindless of the Buddha’s insistence on aparigraha, or non-possession. The Buddhist monasteries are sometimes described as repositories of great wealth.

The secular and political histories adopt rather different arguments. It has been argued that royal patronage shifted from Buddhist to Hindu religious institutions. Under the Kushanas, indeed even under the Guptas (325-497 AD), both Buddhists and adherents of Brahmanism received royal patronage, but as Brahmanism veered off, so to speak, into Vaishnavism and Saivism, and regional kingdoms developed into the major sites of power, Buddhism began to suffer a decline. The itinerant Buddhist monk, if one may put it this way, gave way to forms of life less more conducive to settled agriculture. The Palas of Bengal, though they had been hospitable to Vaishnavism and Saivism, were nonetheless major supporters of Buddhism. However, when Bengal came under the rule of the Senas (1097-1223), Saivism was promulgated and Buddhism was pushed out -- towards Tibet.

Though Buddhism had already entered into something of a decline by the time of Hsuan Tsang’s visit to India during the reign of Harsha of Kanauj in the early seventh century, it has also been argued that its further demise, particularly in the early part of the second millennium AD, was hastened by the arrival of Islam. On this view, Buddhism found competition in Islam for converts among low-caste Hindus. Even Ambedkar, whose animosity towards Hinduism is palpable, was nonetheless firmly of the view that Islam dealt Buddhism a death blow. As he was to put it, “brahmanism beaten and battered by the Muslim invaders could look to the rulers for support and sustenance and get it. Buddhism beaten and battered by the Muslim invaders had no such hope. It was uncared for orphan and it withered in the cold blast of the native rulers and was consumed in the fire lit up by the conquerors.” Ambedkar was quite certain that this was “the greatest disaster that befell the religion of Buddha in India.” We thus find Ambekdar embracing the “sword of Islam thesis”: “The sword of Islam fell heavily upon the priestly class. It perished or it fled outside India. Nobody remained alive to keep the flame of Buddhism burning.” [3] There are, of course, many problems with this view. The “sword of Islam” thesis remains controversial, at best, and many reputable historians are inclined to dismiss it outright. Islam was, moreover, a late entrant into India, and Buddhism was showing unmistakable signs of its decline long before Islam became established in the Gangetic plains, central India, and the northern end of present-day Andhra and Karnataka.

Many narrative accounts of Buddhism’s decline and eventual disappearance from the land of its faith have been focused on Buddhism’s relations with Hinduism or Brahmanism. Nearly 20 years ago the historian S. R. Goyal wrote that "according to
many scholars hostility of the Brahmanas was one of the major causes of the decline of Buddhism in India." The Saivite king, Shashanka, invariably appears in such histories as a ferocious oppressor of the Buddhists, though the single original source for all subsequent narratives about Shashanka’s ruinous conduct towards Buddhists remains Hsuan Tsang. Shashanka is reported to have destroyed the Bodhi tree and ordered the destruction of Buddhist images. Hindu nationalists appear to think that many Muslim monuments were once Hindu temples, but partisans of Buddhism are inclined to the view that Hindu temples were often built on the site of Buddhist shrines.

If some scholars focus on outright persecution, others speak of a long process during which Buddhist practices became absorbed into Hinduism. The doctrine of ahimsa may have originated with the Buddha, and certainly found its greatest exposition in the Buddha’s teachings, but by the second half of the 1st millennium AD it had become part of Hindu teachings. The great Brahmin philosopher, Shankaracharya (c. 788-820 AD), is said to have engaged the Buddhists in public debates and each time he emerged triumphant. Monastic practices had once been unknown in Brahminism, but over time this changed. Shankaracharya himself established maths or monasteries at Badrinath in the north, Dwarka in the west, Sringeri in the south, and Puri in the east. The Buddha had, as is commonly noticed, been transformed into an avatara (descent) of Vishnu. The tendency of Hinduism to absorb rival faiths has been commented upon by many, though one could speak equally of the elements from other faiths that have gone into the making of Hinduism. Was Buddha absorbed into the Hindu pantheon so that Buddhism might become defanged, or is it the case that Buddhism stood for certain values that Hinduism was eager to embrace as its own?

Though many Dalit and other anti-Brahminical writers would like to represent Brahminism as a tyrannical faith that wrought massive destruction upon the Buddhists [see www.dalistan.org], the matter is more complicated. A recent study of the Bengal Puranas indubitably shows that the Buddhists were mocked, cast as mischievous and malicious in Brahminical narratives, and subjected to immense rhetorical violence. But rhetorical violence is not necessarily to be read as physical violence perpetrated upon the Buddhists, any more than accounts of thousands of Hindu temples destroyed at the hands of Muslim invaders are to be read literally. Similarly, the absorption of the Buddha into Vishnu’s pantheon may have represented something of a compromise between the Brahmins and Buddhists: since so much of what Buddhism stood for had been incorporated into certain strands of Brahminism, the Buddha was at least to be given his just dues. This anxiety of absorption continues down to the present day, and one of the more curious expressions of this anxiety must surely be a letter from the All India Bhikkhu Sangha to the-then Prime Minister of India, P. V. Narasimha Rao. In his letter of 23 February 1995, the President of the Sangha complained that the actor Arun Govil, who had played Rama in the TV serial Ramayana, had been chosen to play the Buddha in the TV serial by the same name. Could anyone really play the Buddha? “As you know,” the letter reminds Rao, “the Buddha was never a mythological figure as Rama & Hanuman but very much a historical figure.” [5] If nothing else, we might at least read the disappearance of Buddhism from India as a parable about how myth always outlives history.

Notes:
1. See, for example, D. C. Ahir, Buddhism Declined in India: How and Why? (Delhi: B. R. Publishing, 2005).

2. For Hsuan Tsang’s travel narrative, see the translation by Samuel Beal, Si-Yu Ki: Buddhist Records of the Western World (London: Trubner & Co., 1884; reprint ed., Delhi: Oriental Books Reprint Corporation).

3. Vasant Moon, compiler and ed., Babasaheb Ambedkar, Writings and Speeches (Bombay: Government of Maharashtra, 1987), Vol. 3, pp. 232-33.

4. S. R. Goyal, A History of Indian Buddhism (Meerut, 1987), p. 394.

5. See Detlef Kantowsky, Buddhists in India Today: Descriptions, Pictures and Documents (Delhi: Manohar, 2003), p. 156.

Short Further Reading:
Padmanabh S. Jaini, “The Disappearance of Buddhism and the Survival of Jainism: A Study in Contrast”, in Studies in History of Buddhism, ed. A. K. Narain (Delhi: B. R. Publishing Co., 1980), pp. 181-91.

PureAryan said:
Millions of Jain killed
Buddihism and Jainism exterminated from its place of birth, Bharat
Not only that hindus chased those buddhist as far as Indonesia

Even up to this day buddhists(sinhalese) are being killed by hindus(tamil tiger)

And he keeps on going! :mps:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom