‘I fight against the extremism that led to my son’s death’

Vergennes

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
France
@Kaptaan @waz @Desertfalcon @Khafee @Taygibay @LA se Karachi
-
Latifa Ibn Ziaten travels all over France to tell the story of her son’s murder by a terrorist

http%3A%2F%2Fcom.ft.imagepublish.prod.s3.amazonaws.com%2F7b5f1c12-bc1b-11e6-8b45-b8b81dd5d080

At 4pm on March 11 2012, in Toulouse, my son Imad, a paratrooper in the French army, was shot dead by Mohammed Merah. He was the first of Merah’s seven victims and the first to be killed in a wave of Islamist terror attacks in France. He died standing up — he was told to lie face down but refused.

We were very close; he would call me all the time. At the morgue, I promised him I would do everything to understand why he was killed. After 40 days of mourning, I went to the place where he died in case he had left something behind for me. But there was only bloodstains. So I went to the poor neighbourhood where his murderer came from. I wanted to understand why a 23-year-old had become a killer. I met a group of young men who said that Merah was a martyr and a hero. When I introduced myself, they apologised. One held my hands. He told me, “Look around, this is where we live. We have no future.” I told them they needed to work to lift those barriers. The young man said, “I’m 25. When I go out in the morning, my mother tells me she wishes me gone forever. It’s too late.”

I thought those youngsters were at the root of my suffering, but I needed to reach out to them. Since then, I have been visiting schools — state, private — and prisons. I attend conferences and travel to cities across France to tell my story. I set up a non-profit organisation in partnership with the state; we’re raising funds to send children from the banlieues on trips abroad.

Some criticise me because I talk about religion. But the important thing to me is to find a way to engage with these children. If a child has a question on Islam, I have to give him or her an answer. I have no written speeches; I am not a politician. I talk about my suffering, my values, citizenship, secularism, democracy.

I adjust to each audience. When I sense defiance, I start by asking if they feel French. In immigrant areas, most reply, “No, I am Algerian,” for example. So my next question is, “Where were you born? In France? Then you’re French, young man. Algeria is your parents’ country of origin but it doesn’t define you fully.”

I will never forget where I’m from. I was born in Tétouan, Morocco, but my children were born in France. I’ve always wanted to do everything like French women. They taught me a lot: how to ride a bike, how to cook pot-au-feu, how to find cheap food . . . I take my children back to Morocco to share how I lived. These two cultures are an asset, not a burden. I tell those youngsters to start their personal engine, that they will go further than they think.

Recently, I met a boy who was close to going to Syria. His single mother of six had got sick and was refused a ground-floor apartment by the state. He felt helpless seeing his mother climbing the stairs because the lift was broken. We talked a lot and he changed his mind. I told him his mother would be devastated if he left. Help her here instead, I said. Some youngsters tell me, “The republic has let me down.” I say: “Why should the republic give you anything? What did you bring to the republic?”

Some in France wonder why I wear a veil. Two men even insulted me in the National Assembly. I was shocked. In 40 years in France, I had never been treated like that. I don’t see why I have to justify myself. I started wearing it after Imad’s death. And then I couldn’t take it off. A mother who has lost a child never stops mourning.

Since 2012, I have sounded the alarm bell. I warned the French government that there were plenty of other Merahs. President François Hollande, who awarded me the Légion d’Honneur, does everything he can. But we all need to act at our own level too. In schools, in prisons, in the street. It starts with respect, with the eyes and a smile.

https://www.ft.com/content/9f472b72-bc09-11e6-8b45-b8b81dd5d080

I know all about her and am a big fan of that amazing lady!

Her son was a hero ( he refused to kneel as the killer asked
prior to shooting him )!

Her "crusade" as the media say to explain the benefits the French
Republic bestows on its citizens to straying and isolated "banlieues"
kids is an inspiration.

Love, honour and pride beyond death for Mohammed Legouad and

article-2119782-124169B2000005DC-644_196x329.jpg

the heartfelt admiration due to decent and honourable people willing
to contribute to the general good to his mom.

Thank you, ma'am; you are one of my heroes too, Tay.

Last edited:
Great article. More people should follow her lead, immigrants and citizens alike. Both groups should consider migrants to be French and help them assimilate into the country.

What I like about this article is that it touches on the economic issues and poverty that plague the mostly Arab migrant communities of France. If you want to stamp out terrorism, you have to stamp out poverty.

It's the underlying problem that fuels hatred and resentment. Lack of economic development in the Middle East is the biggest reason why it is the way it is.

@Vergennes I know you guy's are going through hard time with your North African origin population. However think about this. Not long ago German's were reviled as 'Hun, Boche, Krauts," and millions died fighting. That was lot of blood lost, on a epic scale by both sides. After that catharatic event look today how Germans and French see each other. If that hate that was so intense it killed million this problem you have is comparatively minor. I am convinced France will overcome this problem and North Africa will be asset to France like Germany is today.

You are very right, I switched sons on poor Mrs Ibn Ziaten
for which I am very sorry, stand corrected & apologize to her.

Legouad was one and Abel Chennouf the last [ in the middle spot below ]

imad-ibn-ziaten-abel-chennouf-et-mohamed-legouad-.jpg
The feelings stay true for all 4 despite that error though.

Thanks for helping me out LouiQ, Tay.

Main hyprocosy ib Syria Fsa All Qaeda . Renowned terroist groups are praised as Freedom fighter w people cheer for then while in other country All Qaeda is seen as enemy

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom