What's new

I am learning Urdu(Nastaliq script)

Roy I'm guessing there's the same issue with F and Ph? Some Indians say fool instead of phool.

Or Indians can't say the letter Khay if their life depended on it. In one Preiti Zinta movie she had to play the role of a Pakistani. She said the most difficult aspect was for her to say he name - xyz Khan, because the way Indians say is K-han.

Urdu has almost all sounds, but Pakistanis write English words really weirdly as well. For example the word Ball is spelt, baal. Or Point is spelt Paa-int. Not that Urdu can't spell it right, but someone just set a wrong trend at some point with the common words.

You mean phool instead of fool? With the english word pronunciations I think it depends mostly on what sorta school you went to and what sorta accent your english teacher had. In hindi script there is separate P and Ph sound otherwise. So someone saying phool probably had a bad English teacher. I have noticed some Indians pronounce "Is" as "Ijj" specially south Indians.

Yeah Kh sound from the throat is not natural for Hindi speakers, and I think that makes a lot of difference between what Urdu and Hindu sounds like. Another word is "Ghost"(Meat).

And your example of baaal paaaint is same in Hindi too. There are alphabets in Hindi to spell and pronounce it properly(sorta) but people don't for whatever reasons.

Urdu has almost all sounds, but Pakistanis write English words really weirdly as well. For example the word Ball is spelt, baal. Or Point is spelt Paa-int. Not that Urdu can't spell it right, but someone just set a wrong trend at some point with the common words.

And your example of baaal paaaint is same in Hindi too. There are alphabets in Hindi to spell and pronounce it properly(sorta) but people don't for whatever reasons.

That happens because there's no standard way to write English in Devanagari or Nastaleeq. Most people just write it how they think it sounds, hence all the confusion.

Is Urdu and Arabic is different in writing. say for Eg. if i want to write my name in both of these languages then is it written differently.

Thanks Paras for starting this thread.

To all my pakistani friends, I want to learn writing in arabic. any guess how much time it will take if I spare an hour every day.
and also please tell me from where to start with.

Thanks n Regards

I lived my entire life in Arabia... My Arabic is just so-so. :D

Best person to learn how to read Arabic is from a Quran teacher. When kids are younger the Quran teacher goes through all the basics of Arabic first. Quranic Arabic is probably the most formal Arabic in use today.

Roy I'm guessing there's the same issue with F and Ph? Some Indians say fool instead of phool.

Or Indians can't say the letter Khay if their life depended on it. In one Preiti Zinta movie she had to play the role of a Pakistani. She said the most difficult aspect was for her to say he name - xyz Khan, because the way Indians say is K-han.

To an outside person, Urdu and Hebrew sound almost similar because of how much of the "Khay" sound we use. True story. :D

in Hindi, they put a "." below the "da" to achieve what You are pointing to. but, I lol at "jaroor" "jindabad" when written in hinglish but, they speak as "zaroor,zindabad".. ie, they can imagine the word ja only not "za" for eg.

South Indians(except Tamil script) can understand the pronunciation issue because, "Zaroorat" is "Zaroorat" if written in South Indian languages not "Jaroorat"(with dot below ja). it is easy spotting native hindi/marathi(or other devnagari similar scripts) speakers because of the use of ja for za when writing in hinglish. ;)

No,in tamil it ll be saroorat.

but srsly,tamizh is like much more simpler style of communication without needing to strain yourself.

I don't know this Taripura, but who phonetically pronounces Sri Lanka as "Sari Lanka"?

All punjabis.

Maybe in India, but we say Tripura and Sri Lanka properly

Just the rural folks, lol.

even Hamid Gul,talks like that.

Pakistani Punjabis have the stronger punjabi accent in them,

Hindi is the funniest sounding language to me after some of the South Indian dialects.

Some of the South Indian dialects have me cracking up.

i find urdu too slow,as if they r taking their own sweet time to speak sintead of just finishing and getting on with it.

in Hindi, they put a "." below the "da" to achieve what You are pointing to. but, I lol at "jaroor" "jindabad" when written in hinglish but, they speak as "zaroor,zindabad".. ie, they can imagine the word ja only not "za" for eg.
South Indians(except Tamil script) can understand the pronunciation issue because, "Zaroorat" is "Zaroorat" if written in South Indian languages not "Jaroorat"(with dot below ja). it is easy spotting native hindi/marathi(or other devnagari similar scripts) speakers because of the use of ja for za when writing in hinglish. ;)
We say Gharib (poor), Khud (one's own self) etc
You probably say 'Garib' and 'kkhhud' as an Khana

..Also I've seen Indians confuse Sh and S as well: Sarab instead of Sharab

It dependes how much you are expert in producing sounds (means how many alphabets you practised as a CHILD). As a child if your 'vocal chord (a device responsible for producing sounds along with layrnx)' has practised these sounds then you can notice the difference between these sounds as an adult, otherwise like colorblindness ...a term I coined here Listening-muteness will you suffer from and for example a word berry (Bair in urdu/hind, but this word in Sindhi and Sariki will be variant in sound like puting a dot below 'B in Bair').

As for Sindhi and Seriki, they have even much big characterset of 56 alphabets...they have 5 alphabets unique to URDU (even there is B and a dot below B (say))...(J and a dot below J)...while the non native speaker(including urdu and Punjabi etc, I'm not aware about Hinko as I guess it has 56 as well). Sindhi (languagae of Sindh) and Seriki (Language of Multan and Bahawalpur : southern belt of Punjab)..

For example if a person claims that I'm Sindhi or Sariki speaking then they can be tested just by asking them to produce the 'Bair' and he will be kinda frustrated when you will tell you are not producing right word, but he would say , no it is B and native will tell that my vocal chord is producing a different sound than B but you feel it is B.......

I'm however amazed why a child vocal chord has the ability to learn every sound, but in later year he will loose the ability...

There are five unique additional sounds of Seriki and Sindhi which are absent in Urdu Characterstics. Even arabic and Persian charactsets are the subset of Urdu..from the discussion i feel as if hindi sounds characterset is also subset.....I guess the same is the case hindi has certain sounds missing, so the difference in the sound is misunderstood...

same is the case for Arabic people as they would say Pakistan as Bakistan...but as now as a kid they are learning english so now they can produce Pakitan....

As for my understand Sindhi and Seriki are the superset in characterset if we map all these to arabic characterset (script) then same happened where the sounds are similar then Sindhi and Seriki people put dot (in Seriki) over the character of arabic charcherstic and a 'toye' ط
in case of Sindhi...
Just as a side note:
I'd a bit researched as a part of studies about language alphabets ...

You mean phool instead of fool? With the english word pronunciations I think it depends mostly on what sorta school you went to and what sorta accent your english teacher had. In hindi script there is separate P and Ph sound otherwise. So someone saying phool probably had a bad English teacher. I have noticed some Indians pronounce "Is" as "Ijj" specially south Indians.

Yeah Kh sound from the throat is not natural for Hindi speakers, and I think that makes a lot of difference between what Urdu and Hindu sounds like. Another word is "Ghost"(Meat).

I dont know any south saying Ijj,s is much more easier and J doesn't exist,atleast in tamizh.

Hell Punjabis from Pakistan are telling us how to pronounce in Urdu.

I am from UP and I had watched many videos of Pakistani news cahnnels in You tube not even a single anchor I have seen who pronounces proper urdu. All have a punjabi accent in them.

I am from UP and I had watched many videos of Pakistani news cahnnels in You tube not even a single anchor I have seen who pronounces proper urdu. All have a punjabi accent in them.
Remember they are punjabi language speakers. not native Hindi speakers.
OT: Any University in Pakistan which offers Sanskrit/Hindi courses?

Well that's a fail, I must say. Most news anchors from channels you probably watch are Sindhis and Muhajirs not Punjabis.

There's no 'proper accent' as far as languages are concerned; for eg. more than 70% of native speakers of English are people who have nothing to do with England (eg. Scots, Americans, Canadians, Australians etc). Similarly just because you're (supposedly) from UP, it doesn't mean your accent is the proper one.

Thirdly, if you still feel your accent is the proper one, then just open a language site and start teaching your Bharti friends your 'proper' Urdu; away form this forum.

Remember they are punjabi language speakers. not native Hindi speakers.
OT: Any University in Pakistan which offers Sanskrit/Hindi courses?

Most colleges offer it.

Well that's a fail, I must say. Most news anchors from channels you probably watch are Sindhis and Muhajirs not Punjabis.

There's no 'proper accent' as far as languages are concerned; for eg. more than 70% of native speakers of English are people who have nothing to do with England (eg. Scots, Americans, Canadians, Australians etc). Similarly just because you're (supposedly) from UP, it doesn't mean your accent is the proper one.

Thirdly, if you still feel your accent is the proper one, then just open a language site and start teaching your Bharti friends your 'proper' Urdu; away form this forum.

They are just hating. Iqbal was Punjabi and his Urdu was flawless.

Last edited by a moderator:
It dependes how much you are expert in producing sounds (means how many alphabets you practised as a CHILD). As a child if your 'vocal chord (a device responsible for producing sounds along with layrnx)' has practised these sounds then you can notice the difference between these sounds as an adult, otherwise like colorblindness ...a term I coined here Listening-muteness will you suffer from and for example a word berry (Bair in urdu/hind, but this word in Sindhi and Sariki will be variant in sound like puting a dot below 'B in Bair').

As for Sindhi and Seriki, they have even much big characterset of 56 alphabets...they have 5 alphabets unique to URDU (even there is B and a dot below B (say))...(J and a dot below J)...while the non native speaker(including urdu and Punjabi etc, I'm not aware about Hinko as I guess it has 56 as well). Sindhi (languagae of Sindh) and Seriki (Language of Multan and Bahawalpur : southern belt of Punjab)..

For example if a person claims that I'm Sindhi or Sariki speaking then they can be tested just by asking them to produce the 'Bair' and he will be kinda frustrated when you will tell you are not producing right word, but he would say , no it is B and native will tell that my vocal chord is producing a different sound than B but you feel it is B.......

I'm however amazed why a child vocal chord has the ability to learn every sound, but in later year he will loose the ability...

There are five unique additional sounds of Seriki and Sindhi which are absent in Urdu Characterstics. Even arabic and Persian charactsets are the subset of Urdu..from the discussion i feel as if hindi sounds characterset is also subset.....I guess the same is the case hindi has certain sounds missing, so the difference in the sound is misunderstood...

same is the case for Arabic people as they would say Pakistan as Bakistan...but as now as a kid they are learning english so now they can produce Pakitan....

As for my understand Sindhi and Seriki are the superset in characterset if we map all these to arabic characterset (script) then same happened where the sounds are similar then Sindhi and Seriki people put dot (in Seriki) over the character of arabic charcherstic and a 'toye' ط
in case of Sindhi...
Just as a side note:
I'd a bit researched as a part of studies about language alphabets ...

men ny itna lambaa purchaa likhaa hi koi 2hours apne commitment ko choar kar liaa hi kisi ny 'thanks' he nahi kaha. If I had attempted it in a paper then Pak study teacher just meauring its lenght with scale would have granted me 9/10... :cry:
lgtaa hi meri mahaan logic kisi kay ply nahi pray...khud ko khush rukny ko ghalib khial achaa hi :D

on the ph-f issue, the actual pronunciation is phool, with an aspirated ph.

sanskrit doesnt have f, as in firangi, and even in hindi, f, is indicated by a dot below ph.

sanskrit words such phool, phal, and phalgun are are all aspirate phs.

the throaty kha is absent in sanskrit. we only have the normal kh.

it is no wonder that pakistani universities offer sanskrit, most of sanskrit was composed as a language in the vedic/post vedic civilization. most of the vedic hymns and metres where created in what is now pakistan.

Back
Top Bottom