What's new

Hurrah for the Sialkot Businessmen

Neo

RETIRED

New Recruit

Reaction score

EDITORIAL (July 08 2009): The businessmen of Sialkot appear to be a different breed. While business organisations at other centres continue to moan about the government's apathy to provide them various kinds of incentives, they are determined to prove that human beings can be masters of their own destinies.

According to a news item in the Business Recorder on 6th July, 2009, the business community of Sialkot, after the construction of the Sialkot International Airport on a self-help basis, is now considering undertaking new major projects such as the setting up of a 50 mw coal power plant and a fruit and vegetable processing and packaging centre close to the airport. The power plant is proposed to be set up under the public-private partnership.

While the Punjab government would provide its 10 percent share, the remaining 90 percent funds would be invested by the exporters themselves. The power project would be undertaken to overcome energy shortages to ensure continuity of production activities. According to the Sialkot Chamber of Commerce and Industry (SCCI) sources, the purpose of the fruit and vegetable processing facilities was to preserve surplus quantities of fruits and vegetables for export.

The bold move contemplated by the businessmen of Sialkot is of course, out of the ordinary and would bring immense benefits to the economy of their district. The facilities planned to be provided under the above measures would not only help in boosting the growers' profitability and earn foreign exchange for the country, but would also increase employment of labour and reduce poverty in the region.

Besides, post-harvest losses that are estimated the up to 35 percent, in case of fruits and vegetables, could be minimised quite appreciably. Facilities like the grading and packaging of turnip, cauliflower, tomatoes, potatoes, peas, okra, bitter gourd, kinoo and guava would also help in skill improvement. In addition to ensuring access to the international market, the proposed facilities in Sialkot could also cater to the need for domestic hygienic food throughout the year and allow farmers to earn reasonable returns on their effort and investment.

Needless to add that, through various linkages, the initiative would also encourage intensive cultivation and be beneficial to the economy of Pakistan in general. The greatest merit of the vision shown by the Sialkot businessmen, in our view, is, however, their setting an example for their brethren in other cities.

They have shown that the best way to serve the country and themselves, is through self-confidence and self-reliance, without depending too much on the government, which is already facing acute resource constraints and is, therefore, largely unable to help.

If business organisations in other cities could be persuaded to follow their lead, or at least replicate this pattern, the pressure on government resources could be reduced, the economy of the country could be invigorated, exports could be enhanced, wastage could be minimised, new avenues of employment could be created and growing social tensions in the society could be eased. Increased opportunities for skill development could also be helpful in containing militancy and improving the law and order situation in the country.

The initiative also shows that the stakeholders are always willing to contribute if they are convinced that their money is going to be spent efficiently, and the results of the effort are visible. In short, in the development model designed at Sialkot, we see a ray of hope. Its emulation in other areas of the country could certainly reduce despondency in society and improve the chances of economic revival by several notches.

I read that a few days back in Business recorder, Amazing spirit.

Hatss off to them.

Sialkot Sialkot hai...:enjoy:

Heard about it, as i am here these days.
Businessmen here have plenty of capital to spend on projects as such. The situation is pretty bad with respect to loadsheding, small businesses are the most affected of all.

Great news from Allama Iqbal's city, Sialkot.

I hope now all cities of Pakistan will follow Sialkot's routine in business.

Last edited:
A very bold and clever initiative. Way to go Sialkotis!!

Thanx to Almighty that they have started thinking beyond buying the expensive cars.

EDITORIAL (July 08 2009): The businessmen of Sialkot appear to be a different breed. While business organisations at other centres continue to moan about the government's apathy to provide them various kinds of incentives, they are determined to prove that human beings can be masters of their own destinies.

According to a news item in the Business Recorder on 6th July, 2009, the business community of Sialkot, after the construction of the Sialkot International Airport on a self-help basis, is now considering undertaking new major projects such as the setting up of a 50 mw coal power plant and a fruit and vegetable processing and packaging centre close to the airport. The power plant is proposed to be set up under the public-private partnership.

While the Punjab government would provide its 10 percent share, the remaining 90 percent funds would be invested by the exporters themselves. The power project would be undertaken to overcome energy shortages to ensure continuity of production activities. According to the Sialkot Chamber of Commerce and Industry (SCCI) sources, the purpose of the fruit and vegetable processing facilities was to preserve surplus quantities of fruits and vegetables for export.

The bold move contemplated by the businessmen of Sialkot is of course, out of the ordinary and would bring immense benefits to the economy of their district. The facilities planned to be provided under the above measures would not only help in boosting the growers' profitability and earn foreign exchange for the country, but would also increase employment of labour and reduce poverty in the region.

Besides, post-harvest losses that are estimated the up to 35 percent, in case of fruits and vegetables, could be minimised quite appreciably. Facilities like the grading and packaging of turnip, cauliflower, tomatoes, potatoes, peas, okra, bitter gourd, kinoo and guava would also help in skill improvement. In addition to ensuring access to the international market, the proposed facilities in Sialkot could also cater to the need for domestic hygienic food throughout the year and allow farmers to earn reasonable returns on their effort and investment.

Needless to add that, through various linkages, the initiative would also encourage intensive cultivation and be beneficial to the economy of Pakistan in general. The greatest merit of the vision shown by the Sialkot businessmen, in our view, is, however, their setting an example for their brethren in other cities.

They have shown that the best way to serve the country and themselves, is through self-confidence and self-reliance, without depending too much on the government, which is already facing acute resource constraints and is, therefore, largely unable to help.

If business organisations in other cities could be persuaded to follow their lead, or at least replicate this pattern, the pressure on government resources could be reduced, the economy of the country could be invigorated, exports could be enhanced, wastage could be minimised, new avenues of employment could be created and growing social tensions in the society could be eased. Increased opportunities for skill development could also be helpful in containing militancy and improving the law and order situation in the country.

The initiative also shows that the stakeholders are always willing to contribute if they are convinced that their money is going to be spent efficiently, and the results of the effort are visible. In short, in the development model designed at Sialkot, we see a ray of hope. Its emulation in other areas of the country could certainly reduce despondency in society and improve the chances of economic revival by several notches.

My Uncle in Sialkot is one of the big business men there and he is a member of Sialkot Chamber of Commerce and Industry (SCCI) and attends regular business meetings with the Sialkot business community.

I am sure he is apart of this endeavor to "new major projects such as the setting up of a 50 mw coal power plant and a fruit and vegetable processing and packaging centre close to the airport. The power plant is proposed to be set up under the public-private partnership."

Also I read the article it mentions the construction of the Sialkot Airport, let me tell you guys the airport is very useful because it allows the business community there to export their products internationally much quicker.

I remember my Uncle telling me Pakistan exports a lot of the world's sports equipments-soccer balls, cricket bats, volleyballs, jerseys, hockey sticks, boxing equipment, and so much more and that Pakistan is a major exporter of medical and surgical equipment.

I believe my Uncle also makes exports to Germany via airport and shipping, but just remember the construction of the air port and this big bold move of Pakistani entrepreneurship is a great step for the nation!

:pakistan:

P.S A lot of people may not know but Pakistani surgical and medical tools are top notch international quality, even the German engineers admire them. Same goes for Pakistani manufactured sports equipment.

Last edited:
Sialkot Sialkot hai...

I am from Sialkot the city which is buisness and export hub. All sports goods and lether garments of export quality are manufactured there. The items are largely exported to Europian Clients and some in US and South-Africa.

Back
Top Bottom