What's new

Hunger strike won't end unless VC resigns: SUST students tell Dipu Moni

VikingRaider

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh

Hunger strike won't end unless VC resigns: SUST students tell Dipu Moni​

Education Minister Dr Dipu Moni had a virtual meeting with the protesting students of Shahjalal University of Science and Technology (SUST) early today at 1:30am.

As 23 students continued hunger strike till death -- demanding the vice-chancellor's resignation, the education minister started discussion to resolve the issue.

The meeting ended an hour later without a decision since the students refused to break their hunger strike in response to the minister's call, and no decision on the VC's resignation was reached, reports our Sylhet correspondent.

The virtual meeting was held at the IICT building on campus in presence of a delegation from the Bangladesh Awami League, led by its central Organising Secretary Shafiul Alam Chowdhury Nadel.

After the meeting, a spokesperson for the protesters told the press that the education minister said the matter would take time to resolve and urged students to end their hunger strike.

"Students told the minister that they wouldn't stop protests until the VC resigned," he said.

He also said that the minister has requested that students submit their complaints in written form as soon as possible.

Later, the minister informed the students about further discussions and mentioned that the discussions could take place after 1pm today, the spokesperson said.

"We will discuss the one-point demand for resignation of the vice-chancellor again and the hunger strike will continue till the demand is met," he added.

Meanwhile, Shafiul Alam Chowdhury Nadel told reporters after the meeting, "The education minister has listened to the students and asked them to submit their grievances in written form. She also called for breaking the fast."

However, the education minister did not comment on the resignation of Vice-Chancellor Prof Farid Uddin Ahmed, he said.

Photo: Sheikh Nasir
">
Photo: Sheikh Nasir
The minister held a meeting yesterday with a delegation of five teachers from SUST. After the meeting, she expressed concern that the students' movement may be fueled by third parties and called for a negotiated solution.

Meanwhile, SUST students announced a mass hunger strike last night. During the night, three more students joined the hunger strike.

Twenty-four students began the strike at 2:50pm on Wednesday. One of them had to leave after his father had a heart attack, hearing that his son started a fast unto death. Sixteen of them were hospitalised as of this morning.

Last edited:
News outlet has not told the reason for hunger strike.
Why students want VC to resign?

And then VC call police against students ( who were protesting against provost), and police swooped on them!

So that's the reason students want VC to resign.

@PDF

Last edited:

Then VC call police against students, and police swooped on them!

Still no mention of reasons for protest.

It's a hopeless country. The careless government can't even get rid of a VC.

It's a hopeless country. The careless government can't even get rid of a VC.
Perhaps it's opposite actually. The VC can't resign without the oder of govt I think. I think VC maybe afraid of govt. Although I'm not saying that VC is any angel.

শাবিপ্রবি ভিসি দাসের দাস: মান্না​

‘শাহজালাল বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়ের শিক্ষার্থীরা অনশন ধর্মঘট করছে। তারা বেশি কিছু চায় না। তারা শেখ হাসিনার পদত্যাগ চায়নি, সরকারের পদত্যাগ চায়নি। বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়ের ভিসির পদত্যাগ চায়। ভিসি বলছেন, আমি পদত্যাগ করতে পারি, যদি সরকার বলে। সরকারের অনুমতি ছাড়া ভিসির পদত্যাগ করারও ক্ষমতা নাই। তিনি তো দাসের দাস।’

I believe in what Manna said. As if students can make a VP resign , they also can launch a mass protest against govt.

So perhaps govt doesn't want to remove VC. But it will only create more trouble for govt. GoB isn't administrated by worthy administration. Most came through 30% former FF quota , hence all are worthles backbenchers!

@Xerxes22

Last edited:
After protest against provost , VC called police and police swooped on students!
@Muhammad Saftain Anjum tain Anjum

I think what Anjum Bhai was asking was - what was the INITIAL cause of protest against the VC, BEFORE he called in the police?

Actual background and cause of student unrest in the first place...

I think what Anjum Bhai was asking was - what was the INITIAL cause of protest against the VC, BEFORE he called in the police?

Actual background and cause of student unrest in the first place...
ভাই এটা তো মনে হয় post #3 এর প্রথম নিউজ লিংকেই দেয়া আছে! নিউজের বডি তে বিস্তারিতই দেয়া আছে।

কপি আর পেস্ট করে দিচ্ছি সে অংশটুকু আবার সুত্র সহ!

Students of Begum Sirajunnesa Hall started demonstrating on Thursday night after the provost Zafrin Ahmed Liza allegedly "misbehaved" with a student when she approached the provost with some problems.

Besides her removal, the students said they also demand a student-friendly hall provost committee and resolving mismanagement at the dormitory. After beginning the demonstrations on Thursday, the students returned to their rooms that night, as the VC assured them of meeting their demands the next morning.

Ps- However VC didn't fulfil his promise to take care if provost of the hall, he called police instead and police swooped on the students! This is inside the second new link of the same post #3.

Last edited:
ভাই এটা তো মনে হয় post #3 এর প্রথম নিউজ লিংকেই দেয়া আছে! নিউজের বডি তে বিস্তারিতই দেয়া আছে।

কপি আর পেস্ট করে দিচ্ছি সে অংশটুকু আবার সুত্র সহ!

Students of Begum Sirajunnesa Hall started demonstrating on Thursday night after the provost Zafrin Ahmed Liza allegedly "misbehaved" with a student when she approached the provost with some problems.

Besides her removal, the students said they also demand a student-friendly hall provost committee and resolving mismanagement at the dormitory. After beginning the demonstrations on Thursday, the students returned to their rooms that night, as the VC assured them of meeting their demands the next morning.

Ps- However VC didn't fulfil his promise to take care if provost of the hall, he called police instead and police swooped on the students! This is inside the second new link of the same post #3.

Thanks for the clarification @Atlas bhai. Confusing as too many things going on. :-)

SUST VC apologises for remarks on JU female students

SUST VC Farid Uddin Ahmed was recently heard making derogatory comments on JU students in a recently leaked audio clip saying, "No one wants to marry JU girls easily"

Shahjalal University of Science and Technology (SUST) Vice-Chancellor Professor Farid Uddin Ahmed has apologised to the students and teachers of Jahangirnagar University (JU) for his recent remarks on female students of the university.

A press release from JU public relations office made the disclosure on Monday afternoon.

Prof Farid Uddin connected with JU VC Prof Dr Farzana Islam through phone call this afternoon and offered the apology to the students and teachers of JU for making derogatory comments against them, said the press release.

Prof Farid Uddin claimed that his statement has been edited and spread through social media. This has caused anger in the minds of JU students and teachers. So, he has apologised for the matter.

He hoped that the liberal and progressive teachers and students of Jahangirnagar University would forgive him, the release added.

The development came following several phases of discussions between students and the authorities concerned including a virtual meeting with the education minister on Saturday night.

SUST VC Farid Uddin Ahmed was recently heard making derogatory comments on JU students in a recently leaked audio clip saying, "No one wants to marry JU girls easily".

Initially, he started drawing flak after allegedly using law enforcement agencies to quell student movement on SUST campus.

The protests began 13 January as female students of Begum Sirajunnesa Chowdhury Hall protested "abuses by the hall provost". Other SUST students joined the demonstration after alleged Chhatra League attacks on the female students.

The situation took a new turn on 16 January as police charged batons, lobbed tear shell canisters, fired rubber bullets and used stun grenades to disperse the students who blocked the VC in his office.

Subsequently, the university authorities suspended all classes and examinations indefinitely and ordered the students to leave the campus by Monday (17 January) noon. Rejecting the order, the protestors launched the anti-VC movement.

However, the university authorities defended police action by saying the protestors not only blocked the VC but also threw brick chips on police leading to retaliation.

The police action also drew criticism on social media. The university authorities said they have launched an inquiry into the incident.

Personally i say **** em.... let them die....

Students are there for an education...nothing else....they are free to do politics but this should not be on uni grounds....

Zero sympathy for these uppity idiots... this is one time RAB action i would support to thin out retards and improve the overall stock

Students are there for an education...nothing else....they are free to do politics but this should not be on uni grounds....

Zero sympathy for these uppity idiots... this is one time RAB action i would support to thin out retards and improve the overall stock

Polapaner ektu rokto gorom thakei.

Many haven't gotten laid yet. :-)

Ki ar kora...

I dont understand why cant these student just go to the police? If you are telling me that you are dealing with mumbai police from bollywood , then ok go ahead and protest, but you are not. Bangladesh police is corrupt but not that corrupt.

Yes typical BAL hooligan behavior , or even worse( @bluesky will be happy now ) or should I say intellectual like behavior?
What is actually education of Bangladesh nowadays? Or do you really not have slightest idea that nowadays universities totally gone under BAL hypocrites?

Oh come on man , do you really think Bangladesh is California and Dhaka is Los Angeles?

Even the worst kind of chetona clown infamous Dr Muhammad Jafar Iqbal spoke for the students of SUST this time , who usually nakedly take BCL side and wanted to vomit on mouth ( low minded as a professor no doubt) on 30% FF quota protestors by tagging them as children of Razakars.

And you came here to show your democracy opinion of let them die?

Listen , VC will be thrown away , just wait and see. If not thrown away, then consider the country really went fuked up.

Never speak democracy from now. This is a word of a terrorist , not of word of any democracy minded people as you pretend to be. You are worse than the Kim of North Korea, period. Tail is very difficult to hide.

Guys you are living outside Bangladesh, but why even don't bother to research other than the garbage ideas fed by GoB?

Btw , I save your post and it will be used against you very harshly when you will come to speak for democracy and human rights ,and speak against Hasina ; when Hasina herself will remove the bloody VC!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom