What's new

Hunger strike won't end unless VC resigns: SUST students tell Dipu Moni

I dont understand why cant these student just go to the police? If you are telling me that you are dealing with mumbai police from bollywood , then ok go ahead and protest, but you are not. Bangladesh police is corrupt but not that corrupt.
Some clown from the students went to police with flower! Police rejected them.

Do you expect that students go to police against VC ( usually VCs are govt appointed people unlike old days!) and it will work?
Did you observe the whole story from the beginning?

Gandhi would be ashamed of such pictures.

"মেরেছ কলসির কানা, তা বলে কি প্রেম দেব না" জাতীয় কথা বার্তা এই দেশে অচল।

@X-ray Papa

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Yes typical BAL hooligan behavior , or even worse( @bluesky will be happy now ) or should I say intellectual like behavior?

What is actually education of Bangladesh nowadays? Or do you really not have slightest idea that nowadays universities totally gone under BAL hypocrites?

Oh come on man , do you really think Bangladesh is California and Dhaka is Los Angeles?

Even the worst kind of chetona clown infamous Dr Muhammad Jafar Iqbal spoke for the students of SUST this time , who usually nakedly take BCL side and wanted to vomit on mouth ( low minded as a professor no doubt) on 30% FF quota protestors by tagging them as children of Razakars.

And you came here to show your democracy opinion of let them die?

Listen , VC will be thrown away , just wait and see. If not thrown away, then consider the country really went fuked up.

Never speak democracy from now. This is a word of a terrorist , not of word of any democracy minded people as you pretend to be. You are worse than the Kim of North Korea, period. Tail is very difficult to hide.

Guys you are living outside Bangladesh, but why even don't bother to research other than the garbage ideas fed by GoB?

Btw , I save your post and it will be used against you very harshly when you will come to speak for democracy and human rights ,and speak against Hasina ; when Hasina herself will remove the bloody VC!

Do keep my post if you want.... you clearly have far too much time on your hand...i am offcourse very concerned and shaking in my boots at the thought of you employing my own words as a counter to whatever position i take in the future....

This is simply because my position has been more or less consistent.... i am not a BAL supporter and believe is democracy.

Do tell what democracy has to do with this. Everyone has right to protest but then should not be able yo take over and obstruct any institution. This is a throwback from anti colonial protest against brits....this should not be happening in a sovereign state.

No one asked these idiots to go on a hunger strike....no one is forcing them to stay on it....i still say BD should do nothing and let these fools die. This will lift the IQ of the nation as a whole.

Even if Hasina removes the VC whats your point? Students should not have any rights to campaign in such manner, government definately should not bend to children, writ of the state must not be compromised.

Polapaner ektu rokto gorom thakei.

Many haven't gotten laid yet. :-)

Ki ar kora...
Whats the beef here....why can uni authorities not be able to call police. Who told students they have any rights beyond receiving education?

Last edited:
you clearly have far too much time on your hand.
Does that really matter if I have far too much time on my hand or not?

It's not the topic of discussion and that's not your concern as well.

Try to stay consistent and on topic, or just simply ignore and move on.

This is simply because my position has been more or less consistent.... i am not a BAL supporter and believe is democracy.
Yes "Democracy is the government buy the people off the people and far the people" nowadays!

Buy Gundas , or employ gundas to tackle the students, or people movement. And far from the rights of the students. Well BCL gundas are also students no doubt, in this case you can be apologetic for them too!:sarcastic:

Do tell what democracy has to do with this. Everyone has right to protest but then should not be able yo take over and obstruct any institution. This is a throwback from anti colonial protest against brits....this should not be happening in a sovereign state.

But you have this right to close all halls and oder the students to empty hall whenever it goes agaisnt you right? Is VC really colonial lord to students that he can do whatever he wish?

I won't provide you the news prior to this incident. Use search engine , and help yourself. Every educated people should be doing this.

Before making remarks try to do so.
No one asked these idiots to go on a hunger strike....no one is forcing them to stay on it....i still say BD should do nothing and let these fools die. This will lift the IQ of the nation as a whole.
Again , you are saying so because you didn't face the same problem as they are facing regularly. Bangladesh isn't united kingdom and it's universities aren't like the universities of UK.

So don't try to judge people of the land from the sky you live in.

Sky not in the sense of wealth , but sky in the sense of facilities and freedom of speech.

Ground reality is different in Bangladesh. That's why you are actually the most inconsistence.

Your textbook methoddoesn't work in Bangladesh. If students had other options, certainly they wouldn't come to protest.

Even if Hasina removes the VC whats your point? Students should not have any rights to campaign in such manner, government definately should not bend to children, writ of the state must not be compromised.
If I answer this part , I have to bring many history, many comparison that will be dangerous. So let's skip this part. I don't want to do with a broiler chicken of farm who also want our students remain broiler chicken. So let's leave it.

Who told students they have any rights beyond receiving education?
What kind of education it is hey explain me. After almost two years of closing educational institutions again they have closed it for two weeks due to the excuse of fuking COVID 19 that has been serving the government interest the best?

It is a couny where COVID-19 positive result up and down by the order of government, do you have damn slightest idea of it?

If you keep closing all educational institutions, where our children will study? For the sake of COVID-19?

Everything is open , Banijjo mela is open , people always gather everywhere ( other than first 2/3 days of last lock down when army was deployed) , so kind of COVID-19 management it is?

Simply infection and death statistics? Then listen again, I refuse to believe from the beginning about the COVID-19 statistics of Bangladesh govt, and still do.

COVID-19 caused far more loss than govt statistics. The difference between India and Bangladesh is , although India is sanghi infested now , still there media isn't the boot licker of their sanghi govt when the concern is the health of their own people.

So don't celebrate that according to your govt statistics loss number of Bangladesh is far less than any other countries. It would be sushil behavior. If any patriotism and nationalism can prevent your from knowing the truth , through the patriotism outside , because these aren't any kind of patriotism.

If you really think of your people and oppose govt for right reason is called nationalism.

Not beating your government's development drum here and there , and also sometimes use abusive words against them for the sake of political correctness of democracy.

Again don't judge the democracy condition from united kingdom. It's hilarious.

Try to learn balance that some of you never have!

If all students of various university will not protest , no universities will ever be back to it's past condition. There will be no education system in Bangladesh in future. For this go use search engine and read news , not always mainstream media , as mainstream media is literally bslabe of govt. But also don't rely on viral news. Choose different ways , it's as hard as finding of a needle from a pile of straw nowadays.

Dictatorship doesn't need true educated people because they will restore the solid form of democracy and not your utopian democracy that is impossible here now.

So govt can close university anytime if they want by closing educational institutions by up and down of COVID-19 infeftion, so students stopped study and go to middle east as labour and govt can bit it's drum of foreign reserve through remittance right?

Even the reserve was proven false as the reserve is actually 7 billion less.

Online people looks very much self contradictory, simply because they live in western world and judge Bangladesh on their own point of view.

Never bother to read the history, never bother to learn that such strong democracy is there because of many effort , many sacrifices.

Just keep it in mind , if students stop protesting universities will remain close forever as long as the COVID-19 will stay.

BAL govt isn't showing good sign after closing all educational institutions again.

Govt is playing with the life of the students and you are too blind to see it.

If public universities remain free from political and govt influence , only then students can focus on study only, otherwise not.

Keep it in mind that , these are the students who made govt bend down on it's knees during anti QUOTA movement and safe street movement, while BNP was being beaten as street dog by BAL.

So if anyone can have the voice of nation , it's only out students, our youth, so stop being shushil.

Last edited:
Does that really matter if I have far too much time on my hand or not?

It's not the topic of discussion and that's not your concern as well.

Try to stay consistent and on topic, or just simply ignore and move on.

Yes "Democracy is the government buy the people off the people and far the people" nowadays!

Buy Gundas , or employ gundas to tackle the students, or people movement. And far from the rights of the students. Well BCL gundas are also students no doubt, in this case you can be apologetic for them too!:sarcastic:

But you have this right to close all halls and oder the students to empty hall whenever it goes agaisnt you right? Is VC really colonial lord to students that he can do whatever he wish?

I won't provide you the news prior to this incident. Use search engine , and help yourself. Every educated people should be doing this.

Before making remarks try to do so.

Again , you are saying so because you didn't face the same problem as they are facing regularly. Bangladesh isn't united kingdom and it's universities aren't like the universities of UK.

So don't try to judge people of the land from the sky you live in.

Sky not in the sense of wealth , but sky in the sense of facilities and freedom of speech.

Ground reality is different in Bangladesh. That's why you are actually the most inconsistence.

Your textbook methoddoesn't work in Bangladesh. If students had other options, certainly they wouldn't come to protest.

If I answer this part , I have to bring many history, many comparison that will be dangerous. So let's skip this part. I don't want to do with a broiler chicken of farm who also want our students remain broiler chicken. So let's leave it.

What kind of education it is hey explain me. After almost two years of closing educational institutions again they have closed it for two weeks due to the excuse of fuking COVID 19 that has been serving the government interest the best?

It is a couny where COVID-19 positive result up and down by the order of government, do you have damn slightest idea of it?

If you keep closing all educational institutions, where our children will study? For the sake of COVID-19?

Everything is open , Banijjo mela is open , people always gather everywhere ( other than first 2/3 days of last lock down when army was deployed) , so kind of COVID-19 management it is?

Simply infection and death statistics? Then listen again, I refuse to believe from the beginning about the COVID-19 statistics of Bangladesh govt, and still do.

COVID-19 caused far more loss than govt statistics. The difference between India and Bangladesh is , although India is sanghi infested now , still there media isn't the boot licker of their sanghi govt when the concern is the health of their own people.

So don't celebrate that according to your govt statistics loss number of Bangladesh is far less than any other countries. It would be sushil behavior. If any patriotism and nationalism can prevent your from knowing the truth , through the patriotism outside , because these aren't any kind of patriotism.

If you really think of your people and oppose govt for right reason is called nationalism.

Not beating your government's development drum here and there , and also sometimes use abusive words against them for the sake of political correctness of democracy.

Again don't judge the democracy condition from united kingdom. It's hilarious.

Try to learn balance that some of you never have!

If all students of various university will not protest , no universities will ever be back to it's past condition. There will be no education system in Bangladesh in future. For this go use search engine and read news , not always mainstream media , as mainstream media is literally bslabe of govt. But also don't rely on viral news. Choose different ways , it's as hard as finding of a needle from a pile of straw nowadays.

Dictatorship doesn't need true educated people because they will restore the solid form of democracy and not your utopian democracy that is impossible here now.

So govt can close university anytime if they want by closing educational institutions by up and down of COVID-19 infeftion, so students stopped study and go to middle east as labour and govt can bit it's drum of foreign reserve through remittance right?

Even the reserve was proven false as the reserve is actually 7 billion less.

Online people looks very much self contradictory, simply because they live in western world and judge Bangladesh on their own point of view.

Never bother to read the history, never bother to learn that such strong democracy is there because of many effort , many sacrifices.

Just keep it in mind , if students stop protesting universities will remain close forever as long as the COVID-19 will stay.

BAL govt isn't showing good sign after closing all educational institutions again.

Govt is playing with the life of the students and you are too blind to see it.

If public universities remain free from political and govt influence , only then students can focus on study only, otherwise not.

Keep it in mind that , these are the students who made govt bend down on it's knees during anti QUOTA movement and safe street movement, while BNP was being beaten as street dog by BAL.

So if anyone can have the voice of nation , it's only out students, our youth, so stop being shushil.

Keep your polemic nonsense to yourself or not, i have little care for it. But should you directly quote me I am afraid you have then stepped out of your own echo chamber and should expect a response.

Keep your polemic nonsense to yourself or not, i have little care for it. But should you directly quote me I am afraid you have then stepped out of your own echo chamber and should expect a response.
Fair enough,it's up to you, I support your right in this case. Thank you.

28 SUST students committed not to break fast​

News Desk || risingbd.com
Published: 22:40, 25 January 2022
28 SUST students committed not to break fast

Twenty-eight students of the Shahjalal University of Science and Technology (SUST) have been committed to continue their hunger strike. They will not break their fast until Vice-Chancellor (VC) Professor Farid Uddin Ahmed steps down.
They took the oath led by Mohaiminul Bashar Raj at Golchattar of the university on Tuesday (January 25) night. Later, they briefed media around 9:15 pm and promised to continue the movement.
Then, some protesters requested them to break the fast. But they rejected their request and promised to continue until their demand is met.

Last edited:
Some clown from the students went to police with flower! Police rejected them.

Do you expect that students go to police against VC ( usually VCs are govt appointed people unlike old days!) and it will work?
Did you observe the whole story from the beginning?

Gandhi would be ashamed of such pictures.

"মেরেছ কলসির কানা, তা বলে কি প্রেম দেব না" জাতীয় কথা বার্তা এই দেশে অচল।

@X-ray Papa

The police are like - "Aara ehan thoney jaito naw, full firat loi jan"...

Spoiled little brats - they have little idea about how many paddy makes how many rice.

Like getting two jobs and working to make ends meet as a student WHILE going to University in the US. Have done this myself. No "Andolon" to be done when you don't know where your next meal is coming from.

This student "chhatro andolon" disease is a result of politicians using student cadre in streets as their pawns all through Bangladesh history.

I am sorry, I don't support students leading mass protest against universities.

Last edited:
This student "chhatro andolon" disease is a result of politicians using student cadre in streets as their pawns all through Bangladesh history.
I would say , it's a continuation of anti QUOTA movement, and safe street movement.
I am sorry, I don't support students leading mass protest against universities
It's okay. I also don't support student politics. But this movement isn't political. At least there is no news that any other political parties are involved.

And it's not against universities. It's against the VC who failed to justice , instead he called police to attack his own students. At past Bangladesh was not like that. VC , principal, head master and other teachers were like parents of students. These days are long gone because everywhere partisan people are appointed.

So I'm afraid that we have to agree to disagree @Bilal9 bhai. But thanks for your valuable opinion.

Last edited:

Prof Muhammed Zafar Iqbal on his way to SUST​

Renowned writer and academic Professor Muhammed Zafar Iqbal is on his way to Shahjalal University of Science and Technology (SUST).

He may express solidarity with the protesting students of the university.

He left for Sylhet at 9:00pm on a bus, his personal assistant Mohammad Joynal Abedin told The Daily Star.

"Sir and madam left for Sylhet on a bus at 9:00pm. They will go to SUST campus," he said.

Earlier on January 21, Prof Muhammed Zafar Iqbal wrote an article about the ongoing movement of SUST.

I would say , it's a continuation of anti QUOTA movement, and safe street movement.

It's okay. I also don't support student politics. But this movement isn't political. At least there is no news that any other political parties are involved.

And it's not against universities. It's against the VC who failed to justie , instead he called police to attack his own students. At past Bangladesh was not like that. VC , principal, head master and other teachers were like parents of students. These days are long gone because everywhere partisan people are appointed.

So I'm afraid that we have to agree to disagree @Bilal9 bhai. But thanks for your valuable opinion.

Ei VC ki political appointee naki?

Ei VC ki political appointee naki?
@Bilal9 ভাই , বাংলাদেশের সব ভিসিই এখন রাজনৈতিক ভাবে নিয়োগপ্রাপ্ত। দেশের রন্ধ্রে রন্ধ্রে রাজনীতি ঢুকিয়েছে এই সরকার।

স্বাধীনতা চিকিৎসক পরিষদ, স্বাধীনতা শিক্ষক পরিষদ, স্বাধীনতা ব্যংকারস পরিষদ সহ আরো অনেক অনেক আছে। এরা কেউ সুস্থ ধারার মানুষ না।

কোথায় রাজনীতি নেই বলুন?

শিক্ষা প্রতিষ্ঠানে রাজনীতি সবসময়েই ছিল। তবে এত এক তরফা রাজনীতি কোনকালেই ছিল না। আর ছাত্ররাজনীতি ছিল। কিন্তু এখন শিক্ষক রাজনীতি ভয়াবহ আকার ধারন করেছে ক্ষমতাসীন দের একতরফা দলবাজিতে।

তবে আপনি নিশ্চিত থাকেন, কোন কারনে যদি এই সরকারের পতন ঘটে তাহলে এই সুবিধাবাদী দলবাজ গুলোই রাতারাতি রং বদলে ফেলবে।

মুজিব কোট থেকে সানগ্লাসে ( জিয়া) যেতে এক রাতও সময় লাগবে না।

যদিও সানগ্লাস আশা করি আর কোনদিনই আসবে না।

জাতীয় সরকার আগামী নির্বাচনের আগেই এসে মুজিব কোটের একাধিপত্যের অবসান ঘটাক এটাই সচেতন নাগরিক হিসাবে আমি চাই।

Last edited:
@Bilal9 ভাই , বাংলাদেশের সব ভিসিই এখন রাজনৈতিক ভাবে নিয়োগপ্রাপ্ত। দেশের রন্ধ্রে রন্ধ্রে রাজনীতি ঢুকিয়েছে এই সরকার।

স্বাধীনতা চিকিৎসক, স্বাধীনতা শিক্ষক পরিষদ, স্বাধীনতা ব্যংকারস পরিষদ সহ আরো অনেক অনেক আছে। এরা কেউ সুস্থ ধারার মানুষ না।

কোথায় রাজনীতি নেই বলুন?

শিক্ষা প্রতিষ্ঠানে রাজনীতি সবসময়েই ছিল। তবে এত এক তরফা রাজনীতি কোনকালেই ছিল না। আর ছাত্ররাজনীতি ছিল। কিন্তু এখন শিক্ষক রাজনীতি ভয়াবহ আকার ধারন করেছে ক্ষমতাসীন দের একতরফা দলবাজিতে।

তবে আপনি নিশ্চিত থাকেন, কোন কারনে যদি এই সরকারের পতন ঘটে তাহলে এই সুবিধাবাদী দলবাজ গুলোই রাতারাতি রং বদলে ফেলবে।

মুজিব কোট থেকে সানগ্লাসে ( জিয়া) যেতে এক রাতও সময় লাগবে না।

যদিও সানগ্লাস আশা করি আর কোনদিনই আসবে না।

জাতীয় সরকার আগামী নির্বাচনের আগেই এসে মুজিব কোটের একাধিপত্যের অবসান ঘটাক এটাই সচেতন নাগরিক হিসাবে আমি চাই।

Excellent words of wisdom. Well said Bhai. :-)

Thanks Nurul Haq Nur for supporting the students and very very important information about this VC when he was DEAN of DU!

Last edited:
I dont understand why cant these student just go to the police? If you are telling me that you are dealing with mumbai police from bollywood , then ok go ahead and protest, but you are not. Bangladesh police is corrupt but not that corrupt.
I think the demonstrator students are waiting for someone great to lead them to the Polce. So, please volunteer to please the students and oblige the country.

News update -​

SUST protest: Students break hunger strike after assurance from Prof Zafar Iqbal

BANGLADESH

TBS Report
26 January, 2022, 10:25 am
Last modified: 26 January, 2022, 12:51 pm
AddThis Website Tools

The renowned author along with his wife Professor Yasmeen Haque arrived at the university campus around 4am and urged the students to break their fast
271880490_620378272591735_5900777314001645445_n.jpg

Photo: TBS
The students of Shahjalal University of Science and Technology (SUST) taking part in a fast-unto-death programme, demanding the resignation of Vice Chancellor Professor Farid Uddin Ahmed, have ended their hunger strike after seven days.
The students drank water to break their fast at around 10am on Wednesday. The development comes following the visit of former SUST faculty and noted author Professor Muhammad Zafar Iqbal.
However, the ongoing movement against the university's VC will continue until all the demands are met, said the demonstrating students to The Business Standard.
Earlier in the day, Zafar Iqbal along with his wife Professor Yasmeen Haque arrived at the university campus at around 4am.
They went directly to the shed where the protesting students were resting and urged them to break their fast. They told them that the demands made by the students will be met.
Responding to which the students agreed to break their fast a few hours later.
271925249_645496806763473_3568106410059411710_n.jpg

Photo: TBS
Zafar Iqbal, addressing the protesters, said, "We have met a high-level delegation at our residence over the issue and they assured us of meeting your demands. What you want will be fulfilled."
"Life is so precious. Why do you want to sacrifice your life for one person? It's just not acceptable. You have promised me before the media to break your fast. So do it," he told the students.
Professor Zafar also condemned the arrest of five alumni of SUST for allegedly sending money to the protesters at the university.
"I got Tk10,000 for a write-up on the occasion of the Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman's birth centenary. I will give you [the students] the money. Now let the police arrest me," he told the protesting SUST students.
He also urged the law enforcement agencies not to physically assault any student.
"Already you have assaulted the students and done great damage. Please do not do it again and refrain from harassing them too."
On the arrest of the five former SUST students, Zafar Iqbal said, "Already police have filed a case against them and they will be produced in a court. I have got an assurance that they will be out after getting bail."
The Criminal Investigation Department (CID) on Tuesday arrested the five former students for "sending money to the protesting students."
The detainees later were handed over to the Sylhet Metropolitan Police (SMP).

They were being interrogated about funding the student movement, said SMP Commissioner Nisharul Arif.

The former students are Habibur Rahman Swapan, Reza Noor Moin Deep, Nazmus Shakib Dwip, AKM Maruf Hossain and Faisal Ahmed.

Habibur, Reza Noor and Nazmus Shakib graduated from the university in 2012.

Asked whether financing a movement is a crime, Nisharul Arif said, "We will look into it if there is an inside story. If the financing is meant for destabilising the situation, then it certainly is a crime."

A case was filed against the alumni with Jalalabad police station yesterday night. Some 150 unidentified individuals have also been indicted in the case for destabilising law and order.

Meanwhile, the medical volunteers of Sylhet MAG Osmani Medical College, who had been treating the students on hunger strike, returned to their college on Monday.

Ariful Islam, a spokesperson for the protesters, said on Tuesday afternoon, "They have not been providing any medical support to the students since Monday afternoon. The health of the protesters is failing and we are very concerned."

Nazmul Hasan, who had been leading the medical team, said they had stopped the service as some of the protesters and doctors had developed Covid symptoms.

"We will let you know our next course of action," he added.

Bank accounts suspended

The protesting students at an emergency press briefing on Monday night said a number of their mobile banking accounts have been blocked.

One of the protesters said, "The alumni used to send money to six mobile banking accounts. The accounts have not been working since Monday noon."

There were no official statements from the mobile banking service providers in this regard.

Students also said the on-campus eateries were shuttered on Monday, while the authorities had already ordered students to vacate the dorms weeks ago

On 13 January, a group of SUST resident students began demonstrating, alleging that their provost, Zafrin Ahmed Liza, misbehaved with a student who called her to report bad food and other issues.

On 16 January, police charged batons, lobbed tear shell canisters, fired rubber bullets, and threw stan grenades on the agitating students that left some 30 pupils injured. The police action turned the student protest into an-anti VC one as protesters went on a fast-unto-death programme.

Education Minister Dipu Moni spoke with a delegation of the protestors in a video call on Saturday night for almost an hour. The students said that they would not break their fast until the VC resigned.

On Monday, the University Teachers Network observed a token hunger strike on Dhaka University (DU) campus to express solidarity with the SUST students. Many DU students also joined the protest expressing their solidarity.

At the programme, Jahangirnagar University teacher Prof Anu Muhammad said the SUST VC should resign immediately if he has minimum self-respect.

"Though the students are staging the demonstration for saving the SUST, they are actually risking their lives for a greater movement meant for repairing and strengthening the battle for change at all public universities," commented Anu Muhammad.

On Monday evening, left-leaning student organisations brought out a torch procession on DU campus expressing solidarity with the ongoing SUST movement. Before that, they held a brief agitation rally in front of the National Museum at Shahbagh.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom