What's new

Huge Projects of Türkiye

3. havalmanina hic bir zaman karsi olmadim eger aksini iddia edeceksen buyur kanitini sun.

O zaman bu projeye tamamen karşıt olanların oyununa gelmeyin. Tamam yandaşdan da dinlemeyin ama tarafsız bilgi edinmek için bu devirde oldukça platform var. Bakın, yukarıdaki yavşak ne yazmış! Kendileri iki yıldır bitmiş havalimanını açamıyor, gelmiş dört yüz ölü diye kara propaganda yapıyor burada!

I have seen some interesting comparisons in regards to the two airports being built in Istanbul and Beijing, both of whom started in 2014 and will become major airports in the world.

They are similar in size, although the one in Istanbul is bigger in terms of area occupied as well as indoor space.

But, although larger in size, in terms of passenger capacity and the number of runways, Beijing Daxing Airport and Istanbul (Ataturk?) Airports are similar.

Passenger capacity: Beijing, 100 million; Istanbul, 90-120 million.
Number of runways: Beijing, 8; Istanbul, 6.

The reason must be the difference in the size of closed area. The one in Istanbul is bigger. So, probably they planned larger area for resting and shopping.

The most significant difference, however, is the cost: Beijing Daxing will cost, when complete, about 12-13 billion USD. Istanbul airport will cost about 34-36 billion USD (28 billion Euro).

The difference in costs cannot be explained by the difference in size. Could be due to the materials used, whether they are imported or locally sourced, and the labor cost.

But, I have seen images of laborers protesting in the Istanbul airport due to unpaid salaries, so, one wonders where does the truck loads of USD goes into.

Nonetheless, both are immense projects and about to be complete. Beijing airport's metro is ready to run, not sure about Istanbul airport.

Istanbul new airport

315DA21E00000578-3454349-image-a-16_1455884116685.jpg

Beijing new airport
01-New-Design-of-the-World-Largest-Passenger-Terminal-Beijing-Daxing-International-Airport.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Istanbul_New_Airport
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beijing_Daxing_International_Airport

I have seen some interesting comparisons in regards to the two airports being built in Istanbul and Beijing, both of whom started in 2014 and will become major airports in the world.

They are similar in size, although the one in Istanbul is bigger in terms of area occupied as well as indoor space.

But, although larger in size, in terms of passenger capacity and the number of runways, Beijing Daxing Airport and Istanbul (Ataturk?) Airports are similar.

The reason must be the difference in the size of closed area. The one in Istanbul is bigger. So, probably they planned larger area for resting and shopping.

The most significant difference, however, is the cost: Beijing Daxing will cost, when complete, about 12-13 billion USD. Istanbul airport will cost about 34-36 billion USD (28 billion Euro).

The difference in costs cannot be explained by the difference in size. Could be due to the materials used, whether they are imported or locally sourced, and the labor cost.

But, I have seen images of laborers protesting in the Istanbul airport due to unpaid salaries, so, one wonders where does the truck loads of USD goes into.

Nonetheless, both are immense projects and about to be complete. Beijing airport's metro is ready to run, not sure about Istanbul airport.

Istanbul new airport

Beijing new airport
01-New-Design-of-the-World-Largest-Passenger-Terminal-Beijing-Daxing-International-Airport.jpg

In numbers | Istanbul's new airport
Capacity : 150 million passengers with the potential for that to be increased to 200 million
Countries within three hours : 120
Square metres : 76.5 million
Hotel rooms : 451
Passport control desks : 228
Waiting seats : 20000
Terminals : 2
Runways : 6
Parking spaces : 40000

Top 20 | The world's busiest airports
Ranking Airport Passengers in 2017 % change
1 Atlanta 103.9m -0.3
2 Beijing 95.8m 1.5
3 Dubai 88.2m 5.5
4 Tokyo Haneda 85.4m 6.5
5 Los Angeles 84.6m 4.5
6 Chicago O'Hare 79.8m 2.4
7 London Heathrow 78m 3
8 Hong Kong 72.7m 3.4
9 Shanghai 70m 6.1
10 Paris Charles de Gaulle 69.5m 5.4
11 Amsterdam 68.5m 7.7
12 Dallas/Fort Worth 67.1m 2.3
13 Guangzhou 65.9m 10.3
14 Frankfurt 64.5m 6.1
15 Istanbul 63.9m 6
16 New Delhi 63.5m 14.1
17 Jakarta 63m 8.3
18 Singapore Changi 62.2m 6
19 Seoul Inchoen 62.2m 7.5
20 Denver 61.4m 5.3

there are also Sabiha Gokcen Airport in Istanbul

so ATATURK Airport 63.9 million + Sabiha Gokcen Airport 31.3 million = total of 95,2 million by 2017

The construction will be carried out in four phases, and the first is scheduled to open on 29 October 2018
and be fully operational by 2028
The new airport will have six runways and flights to 350 destinations and an eventual annual capacity of 200 million passengers
and will also feature a 451-room hotel
The world's biggest duty free shop

Istanbul's new airport expected to be global aviation hub
and Istanbul New Airport will facilitate Turkish Airlines’ growth plans

Turkish Airlines flies to more countries in the world than any other airline
and Turkish Airlines buys 255 new Planes for $40 billion between 2018 and 2023

-- 92 Airbus A321Neo $11,6 billion ( 2018-2022 )
-- 98 Boeing 737 Max $10 billion ( 2018-2021 )
-- 40 Boeing 787-900 Dreamliner $11 billion ( 2019-2023 )
-- 25 Airbus A350-900 $7,7 billion ( until 2023 )

also 8 Boeing 747-8İ Super Jumbo Jet $3 billion ( planed )

and Turkish Airlines bought 135 planes for $23 billion between 2013 and 2017

-- 34 Airbus A321-200 $3,9 billion .... ( 2013-2017 )
-- 36 Boeing 737-800 $3,5 billion .... ( 2013 - 2016 )
-- 15 Boeing 737-900ER $1,5 billion ... ( 2013 - 2015 )
-- 27 Airbus A330-300 $7 billion ( 2013-2017 )
-- 23 Boeing 777-300ER $7,3 billion ( 2013-2017

Last edited:
In Turkey (and most of the world), capacity of airports are being calculated like 30 million passenger for each runway.

For example; current İstanbul Atatürk airport has 2 runways, it's maximum capacity is around 60 million, and that capacity is reached. Atatürk Airport's passenger number was increasing %20-%25 each year until it reaches 60 million total passengers, now it increases %1 or none due to maximum capacity.

İGA claims that new İstanbul airport's passenger capacity for each runway will be 45 million. I personally do not believe this. We didn't see such example from other countries before. İGA claims that New Airport's capacity will be 90 million with 2 runways when it's opened. I think it will be the same as Atatürk airport, 60 million passenger, so Atatürk Airport has to stay open until third runway will be built in New Airport.

In capacity, i believe that Beijing's new airport will has around 240 million passenger capacity at the end if they will really build 8 runways, and if they will stick with the 30 million passenger per runway capacity like rest of the world.

Last edited:
In Turkey (and most of the world), capacity of airports are being calculated like 30 million passenger for each runway.

For example; current İstanbul Atatürk airport has 2 runways, it's maximum capacity is around 60 million, and that capacity is reached. Atatürk Airport's passenger number was increasing %20-%25 each year until it reaches 60 million total passengers, now it increases %1 or none due to maximum capacity.

İGA claims that new İstanbul airport's passenger capacity for each runway will be 45 million. I personally do not believe this. We didn't see such example from other countries before. İGA claims that New Airport's capacity will be 90 million with 2 runways when it's opened. I think it will be the same as Atatürk airport, 60 million passenger, so Atatürk Airport has to stay open until third runway will be built in New Airport.

In capacity, i believe that Beijing's new airport will has around 240 million passenger capacity at the end if they will really build 8 runways, and if they will stick with the 30 million passenger per runway capacity like rest of the world.

Will not all 6 runways be opened from the start?

No. 2 runways will be operational at first. It was 3 runways at first, but probably companies are out of money so they will operate 2 runways to make money to keep construction further o_O

With 3 runways, airport could have 90million capacity. But now it will have 60million capacity with 2 runways.

Adding a runway is no issue and the cost compared to overall cost isnt that high, its basically tarmac with lights, i think the reason for the 3rd runway to open later is time, they are already in hurry and compromised in numbers of runways if you ask me. For the beginning its no issue as long as the 3rd runway gets opened in the next couple years.

Istanbul new airport

Beijing new airport

The cost increase can be explained with higher labour costs and location of the airport, the place where its build was an open coal pit which needed extensive terra forming beforehand.

There is a big issue actually, if they are planning to close Atatürk airport in 29th October.

huZ1P0t.png

Passenger number is stuck around 60million (+%5 /-%5) It's not like there is no demand. There is a huge demand, but this is what 2 runways can support.

Either they will keep Atatürk airport open until 3rd (or even 4th) runways will be built, or additional demand will keep staying outside of İstanbul.

Sabiha Gökçen Airport faces same problem. Passenger number was increasing %20-%27 each year until it reaches 30million, then it stucks around 30 million because 30 million passenger number is what 1 runway can support.

mthgfDG.png

There is a big issue actually, if they are planning to close Atatürk airport in 29th October.

huZ1P0t.png

Passenger number is stuck around 60million (+%5 /-%5) It's not like there is no demand. There is a huge demand, but this is what 2 runways can support.

Either they will keep Atatürk airport open until 3rd (or even 4th) runways will be built, or additional demand will keep staying outside of İstanbul.

Sabiha Gökçen Airport faces same problem. Passenger number was increasing %20-%27 each year until it reaches 30million, then it stucks around 30 million because 30 million passenger number is what 1 runway can support.

mthgfDG.png
The construction goes according to plan, from the beginning it was planned with two runways in first stage and an additional Runway and 3 taxi ways in second stage so i think they will just continue with Stage two without a pause which is doable within a year.

Project stages[edit]
The construction of the airport is set to take place in several stages, expanding the airport and its facilities over time:[4][14][15][16]

First stage

• A main terminal with a total passenger capacity of 90 million, with an area of 1,300,000 m2 (14,000,000 sq ft)
  • Second terminal building with an area of 170,000 m2 (1,800,000 sq ft)
  • 88 aircraft jet bridges
  • Indoor car-park with 12,000 vehicles capacity
  • 2 independent runways
  • 8 parallel taxiways
  • Approximately 4,000,000 m2 (43,000,000 sq ft) of apron space
  • 3 technical blocks
  • 1 air traffic control tower
  • VIP Lounge
  • Cargo and general aviation terminals
  • Other services including hospitals, prayer rooms, convention centres, hotels etc.
Second stage

• 1 runway
  • 3 parallel taxiways

Last edited:
The cost increase can be explained with higher labour costs and location of the airport, the place where its build was an open coal pit which needed extensive terra forming beforehand.

That could be the reason. Still, the cost (twice as much that of Beijing) is mind-bugling.

I wonder the cost calculations include metro/HSR or not. In Beijing's case, all costs, including multi-modal transportation to the airport are included.

Usually, big projects make some people quite rich, or even richer (probably they are already rich, LOL).

Nevertheless, I love the two airports especially because they are one piece. Hate to travel from terminal to terminal, as in the case with Taoyuan in Taibei in which arrivals and departures are physically separated and requires a monorail ride.

I liked the two airports as they integrate all facilities under one roof.

Seems like there will be 2 terminals

Screen-Shot-2016-01-15-at-12.41.05.png

The construction goes according to plan, from the beginning it was planned with two runways in first stage

Inaccurate.

This was the plan of first phase at the beginning;

snqgsAC.png

And this was the previous second phase;

W5w78KI.png

This was the previous third phase

5ET3rEb.png

I have posted 4th phase up there.

It was planned to be opened with 3 runways and 1 terminal building at first. then they changed plans for some reason.

http://www.hurriyet.com.tr/ekonomi/ucuncu-havalimaninin-ilk-pisti-goruntulendi-40241103

Seems like there will be 2 terminals

Screen-Shot-2016-01-15-at-12.41.05.png

Inaccurate.

This was the plan of first phase at the beginning;

snqgsAC.png

And this was the previous second phase;

W5w78KI.png

This was the previous third phase

5ET3rEb.png

I have posted 4th phase up there.

It was planned to be opened with 3 runways and 1 terminal building at first. then they changed plans for some reason.

http://www.hurriyet.com.tr/ekonomi/ucuncu-havalimaninin-ilk-pisti-goruntulendi-40241103
Red terminal is domestic flights as far as i remember.

Thanks for the info guys. Seems indeed they've reduced it to 2, in order to open sooner.

Istanbul new airport

Beijing new airport

No one (incl. passengers or ordinary people) really cares what airports look like from the outside because let's face it, who really gets to see what the roof looks like other than pilots. If you have traveled from air I can guarantee you that you never got to see what Ataturk airport looks like from air. What's important is the interior decorations.

Back
Top Bottom