What's new

Huawei to set up $500m plant in India

Agree with that. It was really stupid of GoI to ban Chinese firms. There are other ways of ensuring that data integrity exists. And you cant talk about being friends with China and ban their companies at the same time. That is hollow speak.

I think it was more out of pressure from domestic and Western telecom lobby. Companies like Bharti, Nokia, Motorola and Siemens are currently the leaders in the space and they dont want Huawei to capture market share at their cost. And Huawei and ZTE with their low costs and comparable quality are very much going to do just that.

:tup: Ultimately India should benefit as well similar to how China benefited from Joint Ventures with overseas firms on various projects. As mention by the others it will also show Western firms they can always have the cake and eat it too.

:tup: Ultimately India should benefit as well similar to how China benefited from Joint Ventures with overseas firms on various projects. As mention by the others it will also show Western firms they can always have the cake and eat it too.

Mike, JVs are good too but frankly, the thing is today a global company can be hardly categorized as foreign or domestic. Huawei after investing 500$ mil and employing 5000-10000 Indians directly and sustaining the jobs of another 20000 indirectly, it will be as Indian as any Indian company. It may transfer profits to its Chinese parent but the benefits for India will far outweigh that.

From the Times of India (i.e. TOI) article, you will note that Huawei was the only company that decided to share its source code with India. Also, Huawei chose to build a humongous manufacturing plant in India. Since no other telecommunications company was willing to do this and Huawei is 33% cheaper than the American or European competition, Huawei could actually have out-waited India (e.g. India is only 7% of revenue at maximum; see TOI article).

And yet, Huawei chose to unnecessarily concede its trade secrets and manufacturing know-how. How do we explain this? It turns out that Chinese multinationals behave an awful lot like American multinationals. They focus on short-term profits and consciously ignore the long-term competitive threat. Will India eat Huawei's lunch in 15 years? Possibly. The cycle continues (e.g. America ate Europe's lunch; China ate America's lunch; oh well, I guess it's India's turn).

C'est la vie.

----------

RobbieS, Huawei is split into Hua-wei. Hua=whaa and wei=whey. Hence, wha-whey.
If mom doesn't know how to speak Mandarin properly then I'm in trouble.

India will use the stolen secret and then put Huawei out of business.
India will use tthe stolen Chinese technology to open up her own company and label it "Indigenous Indian Technology".

India will use tthe stolen Chinese technology to open up her own company and label it "Indigenous Indian Technology".

:lol:...

why do you talk?, if you want to say something theen be careful abt that. its not some kids gossip station. Its an international forum!!

I have a personal feeling that after 20 years India and China will both co-exist as powers in Asia, by slowly understanding each other in business and defense.

:lol:...

why do you talk?, if you want to say something theen be careful abt that. its not some kids gossip station. Its an international forum!!

I have a personal feeling that after 20 years India and China will both co-exist as powers in Asia, by slowly understanding each other in business and defense.

I don't know if both countries can co-exist as powers in Asia in the future due to the constant bullying of China by India and her media.

India will use tthe stolen Chinese technology to open up her own company and label it "Indigenous Indian Technology
".

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

huawei is a strong company,very strong.but not a great company,see this stupid decision

If American, Chinese, European, Japanese, Indian or any other country's companies were to set up their office in a Pakistani city, Pakistan would probably beg that country to give them the technology for free.

Seriously, companies set up shop in India because it benefits them. If they perceive the same benefits in Pakistan, they would have moved there. Lots of Indian companies have dozens of offices all around the world including in China, and they do that since it benefits the company!

So, what shall we call the products? Made in India or made in China?

If they are “Made in India”, as they should apparently be, and if they have higher value/price ratio, I believe the big-hearted Chinese will embrace that without a problem if they are to be sold in China. There are Japanese cars all over the place in China.

Another interesting thing is that, obviously if it is made in India, mostly it is designed in China at least for the core part. China goes an echelon high: a good move for China.

Huawei has a lot of patents. If there is intellectual property dispute, we’ll see how India government handles that.

Great step by huawei......

Am just a proud member of Huawei R&D Bangalore...

Huawei has a lot of patents. If there is intellectual property dispute, we’ll see how India government handles that.

India can easily overcome the patents by just modifying the products a little bit.

Back
Top Bottom