What's new

Huawei revenues extend decline in first quarter as telecoms giant struggles under US sanctions

F-22Raptor

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
United States
Chinese telecommunications giant Huawei Technologies Co said its first quarter revenues declined 13.9 per cent year on year as US sanctions continued to take a toll on its operations.

The decline, however, marked a deceleration from the 28.6 per cent drop in full-year revenues for 2021.

Huawei has become so irrelevant I almost forgot they existed. :lol:

Heh Huawei will be fine. It has the world's largest telecom market plus contracts in Africa and Middle East.

Boeing however....

Chinese telecommunications giant Huawei Technologies Co said its first quarter revenues declined 13.9 per cent year on year as US sanctions continued to take a toll on its operations.

The decline, however, marked a deceleration from the 28.6 per cent drop in full-year revenues for 2021.

Huawei has become so irrelevant I almost forgot they existed. :lol:
Not unless you are in the farming community out in the remote areas.

Besides, you cannot talk about revenue without talking about profits.

Huawei is part of something what the chinese call as "Xinchuang sector", a tech ecosystem completely devoid of anything western. There's already a big list of chinese companies who are part of that effort. It's less about money/profits, more about strategic goals.
More details can be found below -

futurelogic-china-tech-decoupled-xinchuang-report-november2021.pdf (chinamoneynetwork.com)

Meaning “information technology application innovation,” the plan aims to nurture home-grown alternatives to foreign information technologies, particularly in sensitive sectors such as banking and government. The country accelerated the process last year to allow more local firms to join the campaign, which some researchers say is on track to become a $125 billion market exclusively for Chinese tech firms by 2025. International Business Machines Corp., Microsoft Corp. and other overseas suppliers of computers, chipsets, software and cloud services could be impacted once China develops its own technologies.

Well, that's good news. Now, we'll have to see if Russia is sufficiently "defeated" in the Ukraine to weaken Putin's emotional support from the Russian proletariat. IF SO, Xi may be deterred from invading Taiwan. IF NOT, Xi will invade Taiwan and Huawei will be the ONLY telecomm who can get enough IC's.

So, the future: Ukraine wins, Huawei loses even more OR Ukraine ties, Huawei wins everything back. Place your bets.

Well many brags from US fanboys and bootlickers said back in 2019 they'd be able to kill Huawei. Dropped less than Dow Jones and S&P 500, not even correcting for US "inflation" ahem hyperinflation dressed up as "temporary inflation".

How is Huawei alive and kicking despite all out assault? So much for killing Huawei that even the total best effort at killing Huawei only gave it a few years of reduced income... which is still billions per year. Apple has had much worse runs for much longer in its corporate history than Huawei and this is almost Huawei's entire phone division on international market.

Oops... all done after trade war and attacks on Huawei.

"But delays, deferrals and a serious funding shortfall have left that threat largely unaddressed, and Chinese technology remains in place throughout America — including in some surprising places. More than 100 telecom providers are still connecting mobile phone calls for hundreds of thousands of customers with gear from Huawei Technologies Co. and ZTE Corp. Chinese-made equipment is also still serving Department of Defense facilities, the corporate jets of some of the largest US companies and the biggest commercial airlines."

Volkswagen in talks with Huawei on autonomous driving unit

https://cnevpost.com/2022/02/18/volkswagen-reportedly-plans-to-buy-huaweis-self-driving-unit/

US carriers ask the FCC for $5.6 billion to replace Huawei and ZTE equipment

Huawei wins major energy storage project contract in Saudi Arabia

The testing, which the Radio Research Institute is conducting jointly with Huawei, is the first such study outside of China. The Radio Research Institute (submitted by the Ministry of Digital Development of the Russian Federation), together with Huawei, is testing equipment for servicing 5G + networks in the 6.4-7.1 GHz band in Moscow.

Huawei Cloud gets world’s first cloud native satellite with sky computing constellation in space

Global telecom revenue for Huawei has only increased since. International phone market division even entirely gone was not even a quarter of Huawei. In any case the engineers in Huawei's phone division simply go work elsewhere and the other major Chinese electronics companies have actually gained almost commensurate market share. Samsung has continued to go down overall and Apple stable. Samsung's phone losses in market share and Huawei's taken by other Chinese companies. End of the day, there are dozens of tech domains Huawei is involved in, since the trade war, several new ones they weren't in before. One door closes another opens.

Well, that's good news. Now, we'll have to see if Russia is sufficiently "defeated" in the Ukraine to weaken Putin's emotional support from the Russian proletariat. IF SO, Xi may be deterred from invading Taiwan. IF NOT, Xi will invade Taiwan and Huawei will be the ONLY telecomm who can get enough IC's.

So, the future: Ukraine wins, Huawei loses even more OR Ukraine ties, Huawei wins everything back. Place your bets.

Even if People's Republic of China invades the Republic of China and takes over TSMC, there's many other leading fabricators and TSMC will or have transferred a lot of technology to the US already if not building the planned fab in the US.

There will be available ICs for everyone everywhere even if TSMC is barred from trading with anyone outside China. Perhaps lots of shortages but old nodes can be used then. Not really a big deal in the big picture.

However PRC will not invade ROC based on how the Ukraine thing is going. Even the military aspect is too different. Taiwan as an island is considerably harder to invade and maintain supply lines if US and Japan get involved... compared to Russia and Ukraine. Taiwan thing depends on how Taiwan's politics go and the internal struggle between Taiwanese and DPP and KMT. KMT these days are very much pro reunification that DPP markets to Taiwanese as traitorous and dangerous because KMT is open to reunification. If Taiwan declares independence and hosts strategic weapons from outside or significant troops beyond some unknown level (to be decided I suppose by how comfortable PRC is about it) then PRC would potentially invade as those are its red lines. Otherwise the hope is peaceful reunification in time. Internal Taiwanese politics is 80% of the game and many underhanded methods employed are more effective than weapons and brute force.

Last edited:
Yawn at topic. I bought my first Huawei device 2 weeks ago, which is a Matebook laptop. I never knew Huawei opened official online stores on Amazon (in the West not mainland China) or I would have bought the Huawei laptop sooner. Huawei can't die. I don't trust Lenovo to make good laptops which is why I bought from Huawei.

Huawei is part of something what the chinese call as "Xinchuang sector", a tech ecosystem completely devoid of anything western. There's already a big list of chinese companies who are part of that effort. It's less about money/profits, more about strategic goals.
More details can be found below -

futurelogic-china-tech-decoupled-xinchuang-report-november2021.pdf (chinamoneynetwork.com)

All fine but dont cry that we ban their shit in the west.

I talked about a group of companies which works "within china without using any western tech". Our resident EU tr*** comes and talks about sanctions. Some people doesn't even understand this is within china and has no relation to west. The point is that even if you sanction them, it won't matter - that's exactly the reason this group was created.

Once again adding nothing of value to the discussion. I stopped replying to him/her. it's pointless replying to someone who doesn't have any sense to debate with points or logic. Maybe next time read the links before replying gibberish.

Yawn at topic. I bought my first Huawei device 2 weeks ago, which is a Matebook laptop. I never knew Huawei opened official online stores on Amazon (in the West not mainland China) or I would have bought the Huawei laptop sooner. Huawei can't die. I don't trust Lenovo to make good laptops which is why I bought from Huawei.

Lenovo makes excellent computers.

Huawei's main sources of income has been and still is in telecommunications technologies, where within it there are many domains and systems each with their own innovations and technologies. Like a camera is software, crystal, materials for parts and crystal, fabricating and refining the crystal, the 30 pieces of technology involved with manufacturing and refining the crystal, the motors, how the micromotors function, the specific materials and so on. With telecommunications, just a dedicated chip type has hundreds of technologies under it. This would simply be one part of dozens in one type of device.

Phones is a great business to be in. They are really should be called mini computers with near equal performance while 1/10 or less the size and higher ruggedness tolerance. It's certainly a shame Huawei's international phone business is gone and the income stream for further phone development gone with it. Hisilicon was always a chip designer not a fab. It designed and still designs some great chips, often dedicated types but does Huawei management see future in this field or with cars and IOT. They are interested in some other fields now but telecommunication remains primary competency and income source.

Lenovo makes excellent computers.

My previous laptop was a Lenovo; its screen cracked and audio port failed in 3rd year. I got the screen fixed but audio port was lost cause. When the time came to sell it, I learned that some of the shops (dealing in used goods) do not buy Lenovo. It was at this stage that I realized that Lenovo should be avoided. Shops (dealing in new goods) are not honest with customers - they will claim every brand in their inventory to be fine and dandy to sell stuff and make profits.

My other laptop is a DELL; all parts worked fine for 6 straight years. Only audio port degraded in 7th year. Laptop is sell-able regardless.

I recommend and suggest DELL and HP for laptops to potential buyers.

Huawei will stay here. Huawei has good phones. I have used 7 different phones till this date from 2013 and all of them have been huaweis.

My previous laptop was a Lenovo; its screen cracked and audio port failed in 3rd year. I got the screen fixed but audio port was lost cause. When the time came to sell it, I learned that some of the shops (dealing in used goods) do not buy Lenovo. It was at this stage that I realized that Lenovo should be avoided. Shops (dealing in new goods) are not honest with customers - they will claim every brand in their inventory to be fine and dandy to sell stuff and make profits.

My other laptop is a DELL; all parts worked fine for 6 straight years. Only audio port degraded in 7th year. Laptop is sell-able regardless.

I am using a lenovo laptop since 2014 No issues, it works fine. Just upgraded it with Ssd and more ram. Because 21H1 Windows requires alot of resources

**** Dell. I had one when I was in university. The shit had proprietary parts which I couldn't even upgrade without paying a huge markup.

I tossed that crap into the garbage and got a HP 2 years later.

Back
Top Bottom