What's new

How US sanctions are crippling science in Iran

24 Hours

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
Besieged researchers say that currency collapse, scientific isolation and psychological strain are hindering almost every aspect of their work.

Declan Butler

d41586-019-02795-y_17182908.jpg

The Azadi tower in Tehran. Aggressive US sanctions are making life difficult for many in Iran.Credit: Behrouz Mehri/AFP/Getty

US economic and financial sanctions are having a devastating impact on Iran's economy—and its researchers.

After almost a year of sanctions put in place by US President Donald Trump, Iran is experiencing economic recession, a depreciating currency and high inflation. All of this is stretching budgets for equipment, supplies and travel, endangering research projects and sapping morale, say researchers.

It is now almost impossible to purchase research materials and services from abroad, they add, because companies and banks are being prevented from doing business in Iran.

The country's science minister Mansour Gholami told Nature that international collaboration has been hit, and researchers are being prevented from travelling to scientific conferences abroad. Active research collaborations between the US and Iran are also on hold.

“The sanctions are affecting health, research and education, things that were not supposed to be their target,” says Parham Habibzadeh, a human geneticist at Shiraz University of Medical Sciences in Iran. “Planning a research study in any field of science seems to be almost impossible,” he adds.

Vahid Ahmadi, head of the National Research Institute for Science Policy in Tehran, and an adviser to Gholami is critical of the international scientific community for not acknowledging the plight of researchers.

"Iranian researchers expect their colleagues and scientific societies abroad to be more active in speaking out against the impact of US sanctions on them," he says.

The sanctions
The United States has imposed waves of sanctions on Iran since 5 November 2018, months after the US president unilaterally withdrew his country from a nuclear deal agreed between Iran and six other world powers. Under this Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action — originally signed by then-US president Barack Obama in July 2015 — Iran agreed to restrictions on its nuclear activities that would have made it impossible for the country to quickly divert its nuclear programme to develop an atomic bomb.

d41586-019-02795-y_17182914.jpg

US secretary of state John Kerry meeting Iranian foreign minister Mohammad Javad Zarif in 2016.Credit: Brendan McDermid/Reuters

The 2015 deal lifted earlier nuclear-related sanctions put in place by the United Nations, the United States, the European Union and others. “The 2015 agreement was like a new hope,” recalls Mohammad Farhadi, a physician and former Tehran University president, who was Iran’s science minister from 2014 to 2017.

After withdrawing from the deal, the United States has now adopted a more aggressive ‘maximum pressure’ policy to isolate Iran. The Trump administration argues that its predecessor should have held out for more concessions, such as curbs on Iran’s ballistic-missile programme.

The reimposed US sanctions apply to all people and organizations worldwide. This makes it extremely difficult for Iran to sell the oil, petrochemicals and metals that are its main exports. China, however, is among a handful of countries that continues to defy sanctions and imports Iranian oil.

The sanctions also apply to banks, which are now refusing to process transactions involving Iranian companies and citizens. The international banking payments-transfer system known as SWIFT disconnected Iran's banks last year.

“Being unable to do the simplest things like ordering books online or paying registration fees for conferences should speak volumes about the significance of being cut off from the international financial institutions,” says one academic, who requested anonymity.

A steep drop in the value of the Iranian rial has also decimated the purchasing power of university budgets. In 2015, 28,000 rials would buy US$1 at official exchange rates, but that figure is now closer to 42,000 rials to $1, or 115,000 on the black market. Iran has also experienced inflation of 40.4% over the past year.

Most scientists cannot now afford to travel to conferences, says Abbas Edalat, a British-Iranian computer scientist based at Imperial College London. And there is little their international collaborators can do about it, he says.

Damaged livelihoods
Even basic necessities, including drugs and medical care, have become unaffordable, says Reza Malekzadeh, a biomedical researcher at Tehran University of Medical Sciences and a former health minister.

For researchers, the costs of reagents and equipment can be as much as four times what they were before the sanctions, particularly for goods and services purchased abroad, says Ali Gorji, an Iranian neuroscientist based at the University of Münster in Germany who founded the Shefa Neuroscience Research Center in Tehran and the Razavi Neuroscience Research Center in Mashhad. “Many research projects are under real pressure,” he says, especially those with fixed budgets.

d41586-019-02795-y_17182916.jpg

The value of the Iranian rial has dropped sharply in recent years.Credit: Essam Al Sudani/Reuters

That includes a project that Gorji started in 2016 with researchers at the two centres in Iran to develop human stem-cell therapies for spinal-cord injuries. The project has run into difficulties as its budget for supplies — 450 million rials this year — is now worth about one-third of its 2016 value. The project is almost a year behind schedule, Gorji adds.

Collaborations on ice
The near-collapse of the 2015 nuclear deal has also affected international collaborations between the US and Iran. Since 2000, the US National Academies have led a major science-for-peace collaboration with Iranian research groups. Their goal has been to achieve scientific benefits for both sides and to encourage more amiable relations between the two countries' governments.

This project is now on ice partly because of the sanctions, but also because of deteriorating relations between the governments. The project's last engagement was a joint workshop in Italy in 2017, says Glenn Schweitzer, the academies' director for programmes in central Europe and Eurasia. He says the academies hope to revive it should relations improve.

Also in 2017, the US treasury department's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) blocked five US scientists from attending the tenth International Conference on Magnetic and Superconducting Materials, which was held in Tehran in September.

A month before the conference, the department informed delegates that their participation was "prohibited" but gave no justification for why, according to two of the invited US delegates — physicists Warren Pickett of the University of California, Davis, and Laura Greene of Florida State University in Tallahassee — writing in APS News, the magazine of the American Physical Society. The scientists' legal counsel could see no reason why conference attendance would violate sanctions, they added. Asked to comment, a Treasury spokesperson said the department "generally does not comment on individual licenses".

One bright spot is in high-energy physics, where Iran has a strong intellectual tradition and historically solid links with researchers worldwide. CERN, Europe’s particle-physics laboratory near Geneva, Switzerland, maintains close links with Iranian scientists, notably those from the Institute for Research in Fundamental Sciences in Tehran, according to a CERN spokesperson, and Iran is continuing to strengthen its contributions to the laboratory’s experiments.

Salvaging the deal
All of the world powers that signed the 2015 deal are opposed to the US withdrawal and the subsequent sanctions. In a leaked May 2018 cable, Kim Darroch, then UK ambassador to the United States, described the US withdrawal as “an act of diplomatic vandalism, seemingly for ideological and personality reasons — it was Obama’s deal”.

The EU has forbidden companies under its jurisdiction from complying with US sanctions, and those that do can face criminal penalties. EU companies face a dilemma: they must choose between breaking EU law or potentially breaching US sanctions.

In a gesture of political goodwill, several EU countries led by France, Germany and the United Kingdom are establishing a special payments channel to coordinate barter exchanges with Iran called the Instrument in Support of Trade Exchanges (INSTEX). The aim is to help their companies and Iran to circumvent US sanctions.

Researchers such as Gorji are not optimistic about the potential of INSTEX to ease their predicament. However, France's president Emmanuel Macron, it's main architect, has said he is determined to make it work.

With Iran facing yet more pressure from the United States and its allies including Saudi Arabia, the outlook for its scientists doesn't look promising. “The international scientific community needs to wake up to the problem and make more efforts to better support collaborative projects with their Iranian colleagues,” says Gorji.

The dollar is backed by wars in the Middle East. Make the Rial backed by copper, which Iran has in abundance. The Rial would be worth more than the dollar. Iran (and China) can be the top countries in the world, when ever they choose to be.

Bull shit life is easy for billionaire mullahs and its irgc and who cares about common people?

mullahs i swear they have good time millionaire mansion and let be honest they got finest pu ssy in town young hot iranians women to plz them on hard days.

I think last time Gaddafi tried to replace dollar for buying and selling Oil and other trade, let me remind you guys how he ended up ..
gaddafi_2370848b.jpg

Lolz the iranian mullah propagandist here claim that iran is thriving despite of sanctions.
Anyone who wants to see how hard the sanctions are biting should visit taftan border.

Lolz the iranian mullah propagandist here claim that iran is thriving despite of sanctions.
Anyone who wants to see how hard the sanctions are biting should visit taftan border.

hey, maybe before opening your mouth, look at the evidence:
https://www.imf.org/en/Countries/IRN

Iran has a spectacular growth potentials waiting to be unlocked and these sanctions will only enable these. The projected growth is despite the 'Maximum Pressure' campaign.

Attachments

• iran_imf.PNG
    iran_imf.PNG
    39.6 KB · Views: 59
we have a live one here.

so tell me the article is fake and Propaganda then?

Absolutely it is real but Iran has had this problem since 40 years ago and despite these policies, Iran has found a way. During the previous round of sanctions, they were kicking Iranian engineering researchers out of EU universities. The reality is, Iran has always found a way and in the past 40 years of sanctions, it not only has developed a robust nuclear industry-oil-gas industry but also has won influence and battles through the Middle East. Iran can now project continuous power all the way to Mediterranean. This is all done while under worst possible sanction regimes.

The problem with outsiders is that they see these sanctions without prior knowledge of Iran's history. A minor drop in our economy over the past 10 months has generated tons of speculations about the downfall of the Iranian government. In reality however, we see it as a noise in an upward trend in Iran's growth. As mentioned earlier, Iran has been under the most brutal sanction regimes and this is after coming out of an 8 year imposed war. Under these circumstances, Iran has grown and is a major power in the region if not the most powerful nation when it comes to military projection and political influence. Iran has the recipe and ingredients and it all takes the right steps to cash on its gains in the region. Without a doubt, Iran has the capacity to become a top 10 economy in the next 10 years despite the current sanctions. We have market on West and East.

The picture I am trying to paint you folks is that sanctions bring pain to people but history has shown that strong will backed with right decision making can overcome them. Iran is a fantastic example of this.

mullahs i swear they have good time millionaire mansion and let be honest they got finest pu ssy in town young hot iranians women to plz them on hard days.
Iran is not like your whore masters in Saudi Arabia that spends billions of looted dollars to build grand palaces, private jets, huge private ships, etc.

Iran's been under sanctions for 40 years and yet remains as one of the fastest growing nations in Science and Technology so if anything sanctions have helped Iran's scientific growth.
Now in terms of space technology the slow down in SLV developments and launches has more to do with miss steps by the Rohani Administrations specifically designed to appease the west.
Now if you look at the jump Iran's made in the development of Air Defense Systems and precision guided weapons in the past 5 years you'll see that the growth technologically has been nonstops despite sanctions and I point to weapon systems because it's usually weapon systems that showcase the edges of a countries technological capabilities especially in a country that's under so many sanctions that the most vital systems have to be domestically produced.

On a personal level, I hate the Iranian regime for the massacare it facilitated in Syria. Massacare of innocent sunni Muslims. I hate the Iranian regime for that. I hate the Saudi regime too, for it's prostitution for the US and its transgressions against the Yemeni civilians.

I really hope the regime suffers. I feel for the ordinary Iranian who might have to do nothing with the policy making of the regime but that's collateral damage. After the Syrian war, I hate the Iranian regime with my guts. I hope it pays the full price and the cries of the Syrians haunt them. I can't stand the face of Bashaar al kalb and any of his allies.

I feel any Muslim who has a fair account of the recent history in Syria cant help but wish for death and destruction of this brutal regime. I wish peace for the ordinary Iranian civilian but how I wish the regime and the IRGC are crushed and made to pay the price of their excesses against the Syrians.

Back
Top Bottom