What's new

How to reform Pakistan Police ?

Kompromat

ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Over the years , we have seen disappointing performance by Pakistani Police from corruption to legal abuse , discrimination and the list actually quite long.I would ask members to provide suggestions on how we can improve our police structure to improve law and order.

Same request goes for the Think Tanks.

Thanks.

Atanz posted this link in another thread:

http://www.unafei.or.jp/english/pdf/PDF_rms/no60/ch05.pdf

Page 94 onwards makes for some good reading for this topic.

An excerpt:

A. The Problem
Among the serious constraints undermining the police system of Pakistan are: (1) an outdated legal and institutional framework (devised for nineteenth century India consisting of near static villages with hardly any urbanisation or industrialization, and meant principally for a colonial rule), (2) arbitrary and whimsical (mis)management of police by the executive authority of the state at every level (policemen were increasingly recruited, trained, promoted and posted without regard to merit and mainly for their subservience to people with influence and power), (3) inadequate accountability, (4) poor incentive systems, (5) widespread corruption, and (6) severe under-resourcing of law and order.

B. The Way Forward
To meet the challenges of modernizing an outmoded institutional framework and improving the professional and ethical content of policing, the government has initiated an ambitious reform process. The thrust of these reforms is to organize a police system, which is politically neutral, non-authoritarian, accountable and responsive to the community, professionally efficient, and last but not least, which is an instrument of rule of law.

Thank you. I think this is a excellant thread and gives us a oppurtunity to put our ideas forward. May I suggest members read Dr. Shoaib Suddle's report on police reforms. I will work out my thoughts and post later my constructed ideas.

* Oops I think this is case of double post here so please do forgive.

Atanz posted this link in another thread:

Page 94 onwards makes for some good reading for this topic.

In fact , i have read it already but we need to debate ideas that would be more applicable than those which are desirable. For instance i want Pakistan police to have the same response time as the Sydney Police but that won't happen because we do not have that many resources.

We need out of the box solutions that could help us make the existing system work better while living within our own resources.

Thank you. I think this is a excellant thread and gives us a oppurtunity to put our ideas forward. May I suggest members read Dr. Shoaib Suddle's report on police reforms. I will work out my thoughts and post later my constructed ideas.

Thank you for this , as i did give it a read some time ago. We will wait for your input.

First of all, let us correct the title: There is no such thing as "Pakistan" Police, for there are the provincial police forces and the Capital Area force, each with very different circumstances.

First of all, let us correct the title: There is no such thing as "Pakistan" Police, for there are the provincial police forces and the Capital Area force, each with very different circumstances.

Should i change it to "Pakistan's Police Structure" ?

First of all free the police from the clutches of politicians and bureaucrats.They are public servants not the servants of politicians and bureaucrats.Secondly Police require reforming from british India type police daroga etc to modern 21st century police.thirdly reforming their conditions,work environment and strict measures on discipline.

Reform number 1) The police should be independent and not under the influence of any political party. Empower them with every civil right and should be able to investigate any matter on their own and not be a doll in the hands of politicians.

2) No more protocol duties and private security agencies or special/separate police force should be hired for the security of politicians

3) No more political appointments and structural improvement for automatic/merit based promotion

4) Higher wages and social security benefits to encourage them to stop taking bribes (if doctors can demand this why not police officers).

5) Reduction in senior police officers sitting behind the table and are serving the politicians more than the public.

With due respect to VCheng let us not not get distracted here with the title of the thread. At any rate 'Pakistan Police' does sum up the various police structures as enumerated in the earlier post by VCheng.

We also need to bring in learned Indian members to explore this subject because they also inherited almost the same structures we did from the British era and also it is obvious their police is also infamous for being inefficient and corrupt.

To begin with I think we all would agree that we must increase resource allocation to law enforcement in Pakistan. Whilst I agree with Aeronaut we are not going to be able to match Sydney police response times because of our resource limits but surely we can improve from having our lazy, pot bellied constables standing [ sorry leaning on some wall ] on street corners, leering at women drivers whilst holding a stupid stick.

A F-16 costs $60 million. That money would probably sort out K-P for whole year. My point here is police is not accorded the requisite funding comparable with it's importance. How about freezing defence expenditure, no more Umrah/Hajj packages etc for public officials. The bottom line is we have to find the funding because the internal health of our country is dependant on the police force. If we don't fix this all the nuclear weapons are not going to save us from imploding into a mass of anarchy.

It is quite easy. The Anti-Corruption-Unit must be cleaned, totally swiped. After the Anti-Corruption is free from corruption, they should monitor the police departments regardless of the rank of officer. This is the only external influence that can be used with guaranteed outcome.

Secondary, increase the motivation and working conditions for the policemen, using 'Maslow's motivational theory'. The junior ranking men should be given pay-rise (they work under 10k a month, 6k Ruppee for KPK, 7k for Sindh, 8k for Punjab and 5.7k Balochistan). The figure is too low, and not worth risking your life for such a duty. They need 100% salary increment, promotional trophies/medals/cash prizes for outstanding effort hence recognition for their work.

The police must be afraid of any political influence, be senior politician, sons/daughters of bureaucrat, land-lords or local mafia leader. They tend to bow down under these people. If the ACU is working good enough monitoring the officers, nearly none would work for any of above. They must stop providing body guards for powerful elite class and ask them to hire their own men.

Moreover, provide stronger tactical training, widen their duties and responsibilities and increase the decision making authorities. Be much more strict towards public, zero-tolerance against any name calling or pranks. Increase in respect for police would mean more people would rather opt for police than army (many go for army as police has low salaries and minimal respect). This would again feed back into the motivation of the cops.

Punjab has progressed recently in it's police, adding young men in traffic control who are much strict towards public (not enough) with risen salaries. With this progress, police throughout the country could be strengthened.

Zakii covered almost every thing i was going to sugest and more. Two small points to add.

1. Its tough to enforce behavior in the front line police that they dont see above them, if the local cop thinks Zardai is ripping of millions why shouldnt he get Rs50 at a trafic stop?

2. its not just Pakistan Sydney has had its history with some seriously corrupt behavior over the years.

Mod Zakki is spot on..

One doesn't have to be an expert to detect the basic blemish in the structure of police. It was, it is and will remain (if not addressed) the political influence - it is just like another ghantaghar of layallpur in police.

1- Higher salaries to stop bribery.
2- Internal affairs, a watch dog entity to stop corruption and punish culprits
3- fitness and education requirements.
4- walking the beat and patrolling in cars to enhance response time.
5- civilian complaint dept.
6- coordination with international police depts to learn and improve your policing system

Help could also be seeked from Pakistanis abroad serving in western police forces.

no police no crimes remember police strike at khar era 8 days lowest crime of Punjab history when police was on strike :lol:

Back
Top Bottom