What's new

How to identify a real russian AK47

Mr. Aftab Ahmad has posted some really informative content based on the Pakistani arms market.

I thought the original 47 didn't come with a folding stock.

Mr. Aftab Ahmad has posted some really informative content based on the Pakistani arms market.
That guy got 35 years of firearms experience. Impressed by his humble nature.
That was 1953 model with a wooden stock.In the video he is holding a 1975 model(the most successful one and found commonly in pakistan)

That was 1953 model with a wooden stock.In the video he is holding a 1975 model(the most successful one and found commonly in pakistan)

Wouldn't that make it the AKMS variant with that particular U bend type of vertical folding stock? The AK 74 series made after 1974 uses a side folding stock as far as I know. If it's an actual Russian AKMS, it might be older, made before 1974.

AKS (AKS-47) did came with folding stock, Type 1, 2, or 3 receiver: Featured a downward-folding metal stock similar to that of the German MP40, for use in the restricted space in the BMP infantry combat vehicle, as well as by paratroops.
Then AKMS came, a simplified, lighter version of the AK-47; Type 4 receiver is made from stamped and riveted sheet metal. A slanted muzzle device was added to counter climb in automatic fire. Rifle weight is 3.1 kg (6.8 lb) due to the lighter receiver. This is the most ubiquitous variant of the AK-47.
Under-folding stock version of the AKM intended for airborne troops was AKMS..The version that guy is showing is probably that one.
Side folding stock in AK came after AK-74 and AK-74U model were introduced, later chinese Type-56-2 did carried that modification also.

Wouldn't that make it the AKMS variant with that particular U bend type of vertical folding stock? The AK 74 series made after 1974 uses a side folding stock as far as I know. If it's an actual Russian AKMS, it might be older, made before 1974.
AKM is actually AK47 but a modernized version .And it came with both wooden and folding stock as well.The 1953 model i was talking about the very early versions of AK47 came only with a wooden stock.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AKM

The one that kills Chechnyas effectively.

Back
Top Bottom