What's new

How to be more conversent in English

tumblr_mdzzymL5vG1qc6ru1o1_400.jpg
Sach me.. I've seen people slipping to Bartannia Englisch when they have something like this :D
Highschool English grammar classes are important IMO: {EDIT}

Wren & Martin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

HIGH SCHOOL ENGLISH GRAMMAR & COMPOSITION(BENGALI) by P C WREN : 9788121930420 | HomeShop18.com books

Last edited:
I've always found word games on my phone a huge help in expanding my vocabulary. My spoken English really started declining in recent years and these have really helped!

Letterpress on iphone and spellstrike on android are pretty good.

@IamBengali are you preparing for any exam.. which requires good vocab?

In university level, everything is in English. I study in a top Pvt. university. I can pass in general English but since my school education was completely in Bengali I am suffering now because of my poor vocabulary.

Don't be afraid to make mistakes. Spoken English is very easy, you don't have to know the fancy words. Most people use very simple English, even the native speakers. They hardly speak a word that you don't know already. Start thinking in English rather than translating every sentence from Bengali to English and try to speak regularly.

In university level, everything is in English. I study in a top Pvt. university. I can pass in general English but since my school education was completely in Bengali I am suffering now because of my poor vocabulary.
in that case start with all normal lewis books.. you can improve quite a bit in 2 to 3 months.. trust me I was exactly like you.

Any English speaker will tell you..Vocabulary does not matter in everyday life. So don't put extra time on vocab. That time can be used in a better way.

You have the "basic" vocabulary down, I'm sure. Just PRACTICE..speak with people and you'll be good.

Come to U.S..you'll learn English automatically.

Any English speaker will tell you..Vocabulary does not matter in everyday life. So don't put extra time on vocab. That time can be used in a better way.

You have the "basic" vocabulary down, I'm sure. Just PRACTICE..speak with people and you'll be good.

Come to U.S..you'll learn English automatically.
vocab is really important.. people understimate it and focus on fluency..
you will get fluency within a month or two but vocab needs longer duration.. people with poor vocab end up using a lot of words and in a long and torturous way... its boring to listen to.

I learnt my English from watching cartoon network (the real one not the shitty one they have now), I don't even remember trying to learn but just did, of course those were the times my mind was nimble and a sponge for knowledge......try movies, newspapers and of course speak with you friends, colleagues etc

yes especially the derogatory ones, I never knew so many abusive and racial terms until I joined pdf....

I learnt English by watching WWE bahaha and then Friends.

No body put their hands on Sable but me ;)

Learnt quite a lot of American :D

Watch English Vinglish for inspiration:partay:

If you need professional help...join Mentors...Saifurs outside Dhaka is crap.
British Council is too costly.

You can improve your English by watching CNN and BBC news channels. Also, DON'T try to think in Bangla and then translate in English. That is where most people make mistakes. Try to think in English and watch the News Anchors on CNN and try to emulate them.

vocab is really important.. people understimate it and focus on fluency..
you will get fluency within a month or two but vocab needs longer duration.. people with poor vocab end up using a lot of words and in a long and torturous way... its boring to listen to.

Nah man. I know what you are saying..but desis..specially Pakistanis..take "vocabulary" in some different sense. Believe me, I know people in Pakistan who barely know how to construct a good thesis for essay, but their vocabulary is like out of this world..even my goray college friends don't know some words that my Pakistani friends use...You need basic vocabulary..a good vocabulary..but not a VERY high-tech, upper class vocabulary to get fluent in English...

Back
Top Bottom