What's new

How secular, really, is India?

Status
Not open for further replies.
# “It’s all very well for us to talk about the crucible of Hindutva communalism called Gujarat. We talk of bad politicians, of good people, and of the media that is trying to be neutral. But Narendra Modi still won the election. Which means whatever he did was acceptable to a majority of the people of Gujarat. What are we becoming? What kind of monsters are we becoming?

# “As a society if we can tolerate what has happened in Kashmir, if we can tolerate the lies that have been told to us by the Indian press about Kashmir, then our tolerance levels of brutality and the absolute level of human rights violations, has already gone up to to a space where we are a brutal society. We are a people who don’t mind being lied to, as long as it makes us feel comfortable, as long as it satisfies in our own head what the nation should be,what its shape should be, what its ideology should be.

# “What is our role? I have seen 100,000 people march in New York against American troops in Iraq. I have never seen an Indian march against what our troops are doing in Kashmir. There are 125,000 American troops in Iraq; there are 700,000 Indian troops in Kashmir.

# “You have democracy, you have elections, you have an idea of majoritarianism that can easily become fascism… all these have a key to open each of these cupboards. It’s called nationalism. We are living at the moment through an era of unbearably vulgar nationalism… The national flag has become the biggest commercial commodity going, like wrapping paper.”
Arundhati Roy.

Titanuim

India is more secular than Pakistan, I assure you!

before you embark on brahmin bashing, titanium,

don't forget that in pakistan punjabis occupy 90% of all important positions.

before you embark on brahmin bashing, titanium,

don't forget that in pakistan punjabis occupy 90% of all important positions.

Link for that please! No Pakistani Punjabi has ever been leader of Pakistan!

Titanuim

India is more secular than Pakistan, I assure you!

Assuranceis the last thing needed, After Meerut, Maliana, Bhagalpor, MuMBAI, Gujarat......and ofcourse delhi. Action is the need of hour, which is lacking since British passed India to Brahmins.

Just to remind you of Babri masjid, Still creating waves of unrest between muslims and hindus in the country, attachment is a pic of an assault of VHP workers on a muslim, reaon of collision Babri Masjid

This is how much Secular India is:

JUST 5 % (BRAHMINS) CAPTURE OVER 60 % OF THE POSITIONS

1. Loksabha 48% are Brahmins
2. Rajyasabha 36 % are Brahmins
3. Governor/L.G. 50 % are Brahmins
4. Secretary to Governor/ L.G. 54 % are Brahmins
5. Union Cabinet Secretaries 53 % are Brahmins
6. Chief Secretaries to Minister 54 % are Brahmins
7. Private Secretaries to Minister 70 % are Brahmins
8. JS/ Additional Secretaries 62 % are Brahmins
9. Vice-Chancellors to Universities 51% are Brahmins
10. Supreme Court Judges 65 % are Brahmins
11. High Court Judges/ Addl. Judges 50 % are Brahmins
12. Ambassadors 41% are Brahmins
13. Chief Executive of Public undertaking:
(i) Central 57 % are Brahmins
(ii) State 82 % are Brahmins
(Courtesy: Voice of the Week, Oct. 1989)[/U]
In other fields also:
Banks 57% are Brahmins
Airlines 61 % are Brahmins
IAS Offices 72% are Brahmins
IPS Office 61 % are Brahmins
Radio & TV 83% are Brahmins
CBI, Customs & Central Excise 72% are Brahmins

Titanuim this data (assuming it is true) is 18 years old, do you have any link for year 2000 or later. Can you please post the link to enlighten us. :)

Most amusing!

A very "learned" Judge indeed!

It is as ridiculous if to solve the Palestine problem, a summon is served to all those who started the religions (since the problem is the difference in religion) that emanated from the area!

Dear all who believe India is anti-Secular..

I wish you to please enlighten me as to what do you mean by Secularism??
I have a feeling people have like democracy misinterpreted what Secularism is..

Thanks...

Most amusing!
it gives a lot of ammo to those "India is not secular" bashers doesn't it?

are days such as Christmas and Eid declared as public holidays?from what I read from an Indian writer's article secularism in India means respect to all religions instead of separation of state and religions.do you agree with this?

This I don't agree with at all.

For the definition of secular (State) :
"the neutrality of the State, local government and all public services in matters relating to one or more religions or to one or more creeds. In France, the secularity of the State was established in 1905 by the law of separation of Church and State."

I agree RR but the thing is, my point was no world country is secular in its true meaning, all the states do descriminate the minorities, where ever they are and what ever is the case, Is France secular, no it is not, none are but still France doesn't portray to be secular as India...

This is the Secular India

Andhra Pradesh Propagation of Other Religion in the Places of Worship or Prayer(Prohibition) Ordinance, 2007

No. 3 of 2007
The following is the authoritative text in English Language of theOrdinance promulgated by the Governor on the 22nd May, 2007 being published under article 348 (3)of the Constitution of Indiafor general information:-

Andhra Pradesh Ordinance 3 of 2007. Promulgated by the Governor in the Fifty-eighth Year of the Republic of India. An Ordinance empowering the state to prohibit propagation of religionin places of worship or prayer other than the religion traditionally practiced at such place and the matters connected therewith or incidental thereto.

Page 2 of 2
2. Prohibition of propagation of religion in places of worship etc.
(1) The Government with a view to maintain public order, tranquillity and serenity of a place of worship or prayer, prohibit propagation of a religion other than the religion traditionally practiced at such place, by words, either spoken or written or signs or by visible representation or distribute any printed material or other forms of religious literature.
(2) The Government by order shall notify such places of worship or prayer from time to time.

3. Offences and penalties.
Whoever contravenes the provisions contained in section 2 shall be punished with imprisonment which may extend to three years or with fine up to Rs.5,000/- (Rupees five thousand) or with both.

State of Public Schools
Cow's urine sprinkled on students

MUMBAI: After Khairlanji, Bhandara district in Maharashtra is in the news once again. This time the headmaster of a zilla parishad school has been arrested under the Protection of Civil Rights (PCR) Act for conducting a "purification" ceremony, sprinkling cow's urine on Scheduled Caste children at Surewadi village on April 4.

Superintendent of Police Suresh Sagar told The Hindu that headmaster Sharad Kaitade was arrested on April 17 under Section 7 (1) (d) of the Act. He was released on bail the same day.

Under this Section, an offence is registered against whoever insults a member of the Scheduled Castes on grounds of untouchability. It attracts a maximum punishment of six months and a fine ranging from Rs.100 to 500.

According to Satish Shambharkar, an activist and journalist based in Bhandara, a teacher Madhavi Raut on April 4 publicly said the school was rid of a "curse" following the transfer of headmistress Tilottama Tembhurkar, who belongs to a Scheduled Caste.

The same day the new headmaster Kaitade, (from an Other Backward Classes community) allegedly performed some purification rites. He got a bottle of cow's urine and asked Ms. Raut to sprinkle it in the classroom, where secondary level students were appearing for their geography examinations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom