What's new

How Pakistan Army Saved US Troops In Battle Of Mogadishu?

Champion_Usmani

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
sfrsaasd.jpg

Col (R) Maqbool Afridi |

My unit, 15 Frontier Force Regiment “Fighting Fifteen” was deputed for UNOSOM II, Mogadishu, Somalia from Aug 1993 to Oct, 1994. The unit underwent a remarkable experience of hostile actions & humanitarian work. The unit took part to rescue US Rangers from the clutches of hostile Somali militia in the famous operation termed by the Americans “Battle of Mogadishu”.

On 3rd Oct, 1993, US Rangers Rescue Operation was carried out along with US Rangers / Delta Force / QRF, comprising of 160 soldiers, 19 aircrafts (including 8 Black Hawk Helicopters & 8 Little Birds). The Pakistani force comprised of 15 FF & 19 L, having APC borne Platoon & troop of tank respectively. The Malaysian force comprised of few empty APCs for accommodating the stranded soldiers.

At about 1500 hrs, US Rangers raided Olympic Hotel, in the middle of city, to apprehend Gen Farrah Aidid & his aides. As per plan the US Rangers were dropped from the helicopters & they apprehend few Somalis. Once the Rangers were being retrieved, 2 helicopters were shot by the Somalis with rocket launchers. The helicopters fell down and the crew took up defensive position in the nearby buildings.

Read more: Lt Gen Asim Munir: A tough man for a tough job

Mean while, many ground attempts were made by US troops to reach the hotel and extricate the stranded soldiers. But Somalis had by then erected many road blocks on the roads leading to the hotel. The Somali militia effective fires on helicopters as well as on ground forces nullify all efforts of the US troops to extricate their stranded soldiers.

At about 1700 hrs, Pakistan contingent was asked to help to rescue the stranded Rangers. The Pakistani force was given the task to lead the Rangers Force / Delta Force from sea port till the Olympic Hotel, give fire support at the site and once the stranded Rangers are rescued then cover the withdrawal of the Force. The operation started at about 2300 hrs from the sea port.

Pakistani force was in the lead followed by US troops in their humvees and the Malaysian APCs at the end. Throughout the move Pakistani force came under heavy fire from the close by buildings / streets but due to effective counter fire they made the headway. At last the force reached the site at about 0030 hrs.

As per plan the US Rangers / QRF started contacting the stranded troops and some troops were extricated. The whole night Pakistani force provided fire support to US troops and was also fighting the Somali militia who was firing on them from multiple directions. Due to stiff resistance & effective fire by the militia, there was lack of coordination / coherence amongst the various US fighting groups. The US Rangers were not able to contact the group which was in the south of the Olympic Hotel and they were worried as day light was approaching.

Read more: Indo-Pak nuclear arms race at sea

The last group was contacted at 0500 hrs but due to panic and fatigue the US soldiers started firing on each other and few got injured. Many US soldiers were accommodated in own APCs. One of the badly wounded US soldier left behind was dragged and accommodated by Lt Baber in his own APC (Lt Baber being light weight couldn’t pick him being heavy weight). After retrieving the stranded soldiers the force started moving back at about 0530 hrs. The Pakistani troops were at the tail end to protect the force from Somali militia who was chasing them with intense fire from every direction. The complete force reached Soccer Stadium at about 0700 hrs on 4th Oct, 1993. They were provided with first aid, tea & water etc by Pakistan contingent. From there, the US troops were lifted by helicopters to their camp.

Approximately 20 US Rangers killed, 75 wounded & 1 captured alive, 1 Malaysian killed & 7 wounded, 1 soldier of my unit got a shrapnel wounded on his cheek but refused to go to hospital. Approx 1500 – 3000 Somali killed / wounded.

On 4th Oct, in the morning, the Subedar Major came to give the routine OK report, told me jubilantly that, “Americans are saluting our flag” (while passing through our camp). Once the platoon came back, I asked them in light mood that how was the night. They smiled, with glowing faces & shine in their eyes, in loud voices replied “Sir, we have rescued the American Rangers from Somali militia”.

Read more: Hybrid wars of 21st Century – Ikram Sehgal

The Hollywood has made Oscar winning award movie “Black Hawk Down”. The US Rangers action has been amply covered with exaggeration. I wish the action of Pakistani force should have been given due coverage. I shall not write much about US Rangers / Delta Force battle worthiness – for poor planning, execution & fighting abilities of the soldiers in battle field because, “A soldier should not disgrace a soldier”. But do give them credit for requesting Pakistan Army contingent to rescue them else they all would have been butchered by the hostile militia at night.

Pakistani Troops: Zindabad
Pakistan Army: Paindabad

The author participated in the operation. This article has been published here with permission.

https://theinfocorridor.com/2018/10/15/black-hawk-down-battle-of-mogadishu-the-untold-story/

It is rare for a movie to be 100% accurate in portrayal of historical events. Story writers prioritize creative liberties over historical accuracy for dramatic effect.

Black Hawk Down not only ignore the part of rescue efforts but also the root causes of Operation Gothic Serpent.

It started with an attack on a Pakistani military convoy by heavily armed militants under Somalian warlord Mohamed Farrah Aidid. Scores of Pakistani troops embraced shahadat in this fight. In response, US commenced Operation Gothic Serpent to 'capture' Farrah Aidid in Mogadishu. However, US underestimated the firepower at his disposal and the American contingent fell in disarray, suffering losses in the process. Operation flopped, and a convoy of Pakistani, American and Malaysian troops (United Task Force) infiltrated Mogadishu to rescue stranded troops. Pakistani troops fought well second time.

The entire episode scream "lack of planning."

---

US is back in Somalia, assisting Somali government in its fight against a powerful militant group known as al-Shabaab. This time, US-led forces have the upperhand in the conflict.

View attachment 505644

Col (R) Maqbool Afridi |

My unit, 15 Frontier Force Regiment “Fighting Fifteen” was deputed for UNOSOM II, Mogadishu, Somalia from Aug 1993 to Oct, 1994. The unit underwent a remarkable experience of hostile actions & humanitarian work. The unit took part to rescue US Rangers from the clutches of hostile Somali militia in the famous operation termed by the Americans “Battle of Mogadishu”.

On 3rd Oct, 1993, US Rangers Rescue Operation was carried out along with US Rangers / Delta Force / QRF, comprising of 160 soldiers, 19 aircrafts (including 8 Black Hawk Helicopters & 8 Little Birds). The Pakistani force comprised of 15 FF & 19 L, having APC borne Platoon & troop of tank respectively. The Malaysian force comprised of few empty APCs for accommodating the stranded soldiers.

At about 1500 hrs, US Rangers raided Olympic Hotel, in the middle of city, to apprehend Gen Farrah Aidid & his aides. As per plan the US Rangers were dropped from the helicopters & they apprehend few Somalis. Once the Rangers were being retrieved, 2 helicopters were shot by the Somalis with rocket launchers. The helicopters fell down and the crew took up defensive position in the nearby buildings.

Mean while, many ground attempts were made by US troops to reach the hotel and extricate the stranded soldiers. But Somalis had by then erected many road blocks on the roads leading to the hotel. The Somali militia effective fires on helicopters as well as on ground forces nullify all efforts of the US troops to extricate their stranded soldiers.

At about 1700 hrs, Pakistan contingent was asked to help to rescue the stranded Rangers. The Pakistani force was given the task to lead the Rangers Force / Delta Force from sea port till the Olympic Hotel, give fire support at the site and once the stranded Rangers are rescued then cover the withdrawal of the Force. The operation started at about 2300 hrs from the sea port.

Pakistani force was in the lead followed by US troops in their humvees and the Malaysian APCs at the end. Throughout the move Pakistani force came under heavy fire from the close by buildings / streets but due to effective counter fire they made the headway. At last the force reached the site at about 0030 hrs.

As per plan the US Rangers / QRF started contacting the stranded troops and some troops were extricated. The whole night Pakistani force provided fire support to US troops and was also fighting the Somali militia who was firing on them from multiple directions. Due to stiff resistance & effective fire by the militia, there was lack of coordination / coherence amongst the various US fighting groups. The US Rangers were not able to contact the group which was in the south of the Olympic Hotel and they were worried as day light was approaching.

The last group was contacted at 0500 hrs but due to panic and fatigue the US soldiers started firing on each other and few got injured. Many US soldiers were accommodated in own APCs. One of the badly wounded US soldier left behind was dragged and accommodated by Lt Baber in his own APC (Lt Baber being light weight couldn’t pick him being heavy weight). After retrieving the stranded soldiers the force started moving back at about 0530 hrs. The Pakistani troops were at the tail end to protect the force from Somali militia who was chasing them with intense fire from every direction. The complete force reached Soccer Stadium at about 0700 hrs on 4th Oct, 1993. They were provided with first aid, tea & water etc by Pakistan contingent. From there, the US troops were lifted by helicopters to their camp.

Approximately 20 US Rangers killed, 75 wounded & 1 captured alive, 1 Malaysian killed & 7 wounded, 1 soldier of my unit got a shrapnel wounded on his cheek but refused to go to hospital. Approx 1500 – 3000 Somali killed / wounded.

On 4th Oct, in the morning, the Subedar Major came to give the routine OK report, told me jubilantly that, “Americans are saluting our flag” (while passing through our camp). Once the platoon came back, I asked them in light mood that how was the night. They smiled, with glowing faces & shine in their eyes, in loud voices replied “Sir, we have rescued the American Rangers from Somali militia”.

The Hollywood has made Oscar winning award movie “Black Hawk Down”. The US Rangers action has been amply covered with exaggeration. I wish the action of Pakistani force should have been given due coverage. I shall not write much about US Rangers / Delta Force battle worthiness – for poor planning, execution & fighting abilities of the soldiers in battle field because, “A soldier should not disgrace a soldier”. But do give them credit for requesting Pakistan Army contingent to rescue them else they all would have been butchered by the hostile militia at night.

The author participated in the operation. This article has been published here with permission.

https://theinfocorridor.com/2018/10/15/black-hawk-down-battle-of-mogadishu-the-untold-story/

I am proud of you pak army
Parosi hain.

It was a bravery to be remembered.
Congrats pakistanis .

It is rare for a movie to be 100% accurate in portrayal of historical events. Story writers prioritize creative liberties over historical accuracy for dramatic effect.
To be fair look at the numbers of soldiers killed. There is going to be some correlation with dead and combat. So maybe the movie is not that off the mark.

Approximately 20 US Rangers killed, 75 wounded & 1 captured alive, 1 Malaysian killed & 7 wounded, 1 soldier of my unit got a shrapnel wounded on his cheek but refused to go to hospital.

I met a Pakhtun soldier whose officer claimed killed 20 somali miltiamen with his vehicle mounted MG in one go... mowed them down....during the Aid distribution attack...

The militia was coked out and felt like supermen which is probably why.

PA is respected well by defense counterparts and analysts the world over for professionalism. Ask Nato generals in Afghanistan who may still bite their hands how PA quickly wiped out terrorists from Pakistan. Movies are part of state media they easily sway simple minded people and laymen. Hence they usually exaggerate facts to show national glory and bravado.

View attachment 505644

Col (R) Maqbool Afridi |

My two cents:
Movie is supposed to thrill the intended audience (in this case primarily americans), if you want to look for facts and figures then movies should be the last thing you may look into. i have read the book "The Bear Trap" on cold war, however in movie "Charlie's War" many things are exactly opposite to what is mentioned in the book which is understandable since the later is just a movie.
However, information should be provided for all the operations especially the successful ones like one mentioned here.
soldier to soldier respect can be only expected from soldiers i think, movie makers cannot be expected to show respects, especially for other nations. They would make whatever earns them $$$$$

I am proud of you pak army
Parosi hain.

It was a bravery to be remembered.
Congrats pakistanis .

Respects

PA is respected well by defense counterparts and analysts the world over for professionalism. Ask Nato generals in Afghanistan who may still bite their hands how PA quickly wiped out terrorists from Pakistan. Movies are part of state media they easily sway simple minded people and laymen. Hence they usually exaggerate facts to show national glory and bravado.
There is no doubt about the professionalism of Pakistani armed forces but our 'accounts' are also selective much like theirs.

Pakistan Army fought militants in Pakistani territory with full backing from the public, and US provided extensive assistance as in supply of weapons, numerous drone strikes on hardcore militants, reimbursements for operations, and COIN tutoring*. Major clashes lasted 7 years and lot of sacrifices were rendered in the process. In fact, Operation Radd-ul-Fasaad ongoing as we speak.

*Concealed reality in large part.

Pakistan Army made a sound decision of not going into Afghanistan; it dodged potential failure in this manner.

Situation in Afghanistan is entirely different where NATO is the 'occupying force', and have attempted to impose democratic ideals over a country where warlord-ism is prevalent and Afghan Taliban is deeply rooted in the Southern sectors. Outcome is the political stalemate we witness today.

Conversely, American Military Industrial Complex is milking the conflict in Afghanistan because this region represent an ideal testing ground for new type of weapons and battlefield doctrines. Too much circumstantial evidence for this reality to ignore. I have highlighted this reality in numerous posts in various threads, and some members agree with this POV.

Bigger reality is that wars can be lengthy and exhausting due to being "politically motivated."

Good news is that both countries took care of Al-Qaeda Network with collaboration; crown achievement for both.

American COIN masterstrokes are Operation Neptune Spear (Pakistan) and Operation Inherent Resolve (Iraq and Syria). They are also making progress in Somalia.

I would expect both normal and exceptional soldiers in American armed forces. Same in Pakistani armed forces; everybody is not SSG level.

Last edited:

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom