What's new

How PAF Should Counter the SU-30 MKI

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem comes with realistic assessment and something as simple as humility.
The MKI is without a doubt.. a fine aircraft, an excellent weapons system ..that is quite a match for the likes of not just the JF-17, but the F-16 and F-15.
However, its not without its flaws and weaknesses that not every pilot will be able to cover for...and out of 50% scenario's these can be exploited effectively.

The era of turning dogfights is still coming to an end.. the newer generation of IR missiles with 60 g maneuvering will leave most aircraft short of energy if they manage to survive it. And the next missile on its way will kill them . And while I dont entirely agree with the initial idea that IFF will be needed on all engagements between the two sides.. they will have a lot of effect.
even the most advanced IFF systems along with AWACS conflicting the combat zone did not stop US F-15's downing UH-60's or F/A-18's being brought down by patriot.
With the sort of distance that is between the main assets of the IAF and the PAF.. along with the high information and situational overload thanks to AEW systems and ground radar linked with C4I. Both PAF and IAF planners , controllers and even pilots will know when the other is taking off, landing, turning etc.
That will immediately remove the advantage the current disparity gives.. and will lead to massive confusion during war too.
An MKI flight may end up engaging a Vajra flight in the heat of battle as it tries to sort it out from PAF fighters engaging it. BVR missiles will not be used from a 100km but rather at the edge between BVR and WVR.
The advantage the MKI brings is carriage capacity.. but how much of that is useful? How to gauge the effectiveness of the weapons systems and the survivability of each?
There wont be five minutes to BVR range, it will be 3-4 minutes to aircraft merging.. which leaves the possibility of not more than one or two BVR shots before there are WVR missiles heading your way.

take a leaf out of the 82 lebanon conflict.. where the distances between airbases somewhat measure up to what it is today between India and Pakistan.
the majority of the kills even by IDF fighters that were BVR capable in the F-15 were WVR..

Oscar, I knew that most of the IAF -PAF air bases are very close. And if both fly head on there will be very small amount of time to take a shot anf go WVR.

But, IAF have bases deeper than the border line. (PAF too) there not be a scenario where few fighters 'introduce' themselves into the fighting area, where few jets from both sides were engaged(since it will be more than earlier dog fighting era) take BVR shot navigate it and came back? Is this the future scenario 5th gen fighters thought to be operating?

So there will be time and chance to enter into the missile ranges(from both side, in fact) at will and engage and disengage. Since there will be AWACS cover from both sides, everybody know were are there, who are coming and who are waiting...
The higher payload and long endurance will give effective edge to MKIs in such scenarios IMO.

with no money for fuel, ammo or spare parts.....best solution is .......

Thats all because of the massive attack your countrymen put on him. It was a PR move, not a professional one.
He actually praised the MKI in the end but that is beyond your jingoism orientated approach.

Oh sure, trolling in front of your retired buddies(Daedalians) and posting that on youtube, is soooo professional.:yes4:
And of course the news of the 'good' colonel's indiscretions automatically makes the Indian media liars.
Let me tell you sir a TRUE post exercise or a post mission briefing would never be televised or recorded for the general public.

And of course "praising"(condescending) the MKI will surely make all his over the top wrong claims right.Sir truth is not relative but absolute.

There is also a transcript if you wanna judge for yourself how right he was.

All you are quoting is the manufacturer.. who will automatically praise what he has flown.
At no point does he even talk about how his rate's will factor into a scenario.
And I have no idea where the general designer assumes that conventional aircraft like the F-16 and F-16 CANNOT deploy weapons beyond those angles of attack.. what possible logic is there? Please use aviation sources other than the marketing side?

What I quoted was not from the manufacturer but the "30th Central Scientific Research Institute, Russian Ministry of Defence" which has now merged with the MoD RF 4 CRI.

If there is anyone that'll know about real time tactics assessment it is them.

Their tasks are as follows:
- Threat assessment and forecasting.
- Defining operational and technical requirements.
- Monitoring defence industry progress on the Russian Air Force acquisitions.
- Performance evaluations of the newly developed aerospace technologies and complexes.

The most common possible logic is that it comes from them and I will bet you on their word as they are directly related to the development of warfighting skills.

I have little use for "aerial ballet" videos.. make your point.. how is that TVC effective ?
The pilot claims that it can recover from any stall maneuver.. if he is USING TVC to GO post-stall to maneuver..

If the airflow over his wings is already disrupted due to him EXCEEDING the AOA.. then where is the recovery?

What do you mean by where is the recovery?
When the angle of attack exceeds its critical value the plane automatically enters stall. And now the post stall begins where the recovery takes place.
When the air flow is disrupted or flow separation that is at the critical angle of attack the separated flow is so powerful that further increases in AoA results in less lift and more drag after which the TVC along side other necessary control surfaces take over.
Disrupted airflow basically means flow separation and nothing more.
The fly-by-wire as we know manipulates the control surfaces along side the thrust vectored engine nozzles without the pilots input during the post stall.

"EXCEEDING the AOA" does not mean the MKI is flying beyond the AoA that is impossible. It basically means that it has reached the critical value of its AoA and thus is recovering in the post stall.

what is he recovering from??? :P He is already falling from the sky..

SIRJI what he is recovering from is the stall, post stall does not automatically mean you are falling. True it results to a fall in height as that is what we have learnt from the olden days but those were olden planes and MKI is no olden plane.
TVC prevents this fall that is if the maneuver is performed right.
The thrust from the engine is applying an appropriate force that is why we see a 'hang time', therefore NO he is not falling from the sky.
It looks like its defying the laws of motion coz in this case the object itself is applying asymmetrical force.

You do understand what happens in a post stall?
In a post stall control surfaces like ailerons and elevators don't work thus the use of thrust vectoring. I hope you have atleast heard of the term "post-stall technologies".

In order to perform the Cobra (in this example, in a Su-27 Flanker) the pilot reduces speed to approximately 275 knots in level flight. S/he then must disable the AOA limiter on the Flight Control System, as this serves to limit the airplane to angles of attack not exceeding 30 degrees in normal flight. Once this is accomplished, the pilot sharply pitches up the nose of the airplane. If the speeds are right and the pitchup is done properly, the aircraft will rotate around its horizontal axis until the nose is past vertical - the single-seat Flanker can achieve between 110 and 120 degree AOA! - while continuing to move in its prior flight path as the maneuver is too quick and there isn't enough energy to allow the airplane to climb as it pitches up. Once the pilot has reached the desired attitude, s/he sharply increases throttle and releases the stick. The airplane has managed to rotate back past vertical on the initial rotational energy of the pitchup maneuver; once it approaches vertical, however, the rear half of the aircraft (now the 'lower' half) generates much more drag than the front (or 'top') half due to the larger cross-section of the wings and stabilizers. This will cause the rotation to stop and then reverse, the nose pitching sharply 'down' relative to the airframe, back into level flight. The throttle added during the maneuver will, if done properly, prevent the airplane from losing any altitude during the process. In sum, the maneuver should take no more than a few seconds. The aircraft will exit the maneuver at around 135 knots, which means it is in a fairly precarious position until it gains airspeed. The MiG-29 and Su-27 are both designed to have extremely large tolerances for airflow deviation into the engine inlets. This is what permits them to perform this maneuver without suffering an engine unstart (normally). In addition, their postive lateral stability and clean lines reduce the risk of a full stall during the procedure. They have high thrust-to-weight ratios as well. The MiG-29 must enter a climb of around 30 degrees before performing the Cobra as it will not recover quickly enough to avoid losing altitude. Vehicles known to be able to make the cobra maneuver are the Sukhoi Su-27 Flanker family (from horizontal flight), and Mikoyan MiG-29 (from a 30 degree up angle). Thrust vectoring aircraft (such as the Sukhoi Su-30, Su-37, Su-47, MiG 1.42, F-22, F-15 ACTIVE, F-16 MATV/VISTA, and NASA's X-31) should be able to perform this maneuver more easily, though note that the air intake still needs to be able to handle the air inflow. The Eurofighter Typhoon should be able to perform this maneuver, as long as the engines stay lit.

His statement has fooled the likes of you into thinking TVC is some magic that will keep an aircraft falling from the sky in a stall.
When all that it gives is the ability to change AOA after a stall.. so yes, you can recover faster by pitching your nose down or adding assymetric thrust in a spin..
But reach that situation in air-combat and you are being blown out of the sky.

Oh no no no don't delude yourself into assuming that that is what we think, you yourself are thinking that the MKI is a "magic plane".
What we believe is that TVC can kick some major @@s and although it can't stay as long as per your standards as it does not have "magic", it can stay longer than its opponents.
:hitwall: you just explained TVC and yet you won't except it outcomes.
I'll show u after just a bit, the advantages of the AoA provided by the TVC and how it is necessary in air combat.

And of course the Indian pilot is not considered as an expert so we happily breeze past his claims after all the "good" colonel's words are set in stone.

The only actual advantage that you have quoted and is valid are the two heads.. but that too reduces itself as the number of aircraft in the fight increases.. where the two heads will help land a kill quicker in 1vs1.. by the time its gets to 5v5 the advantage goes down exponentially.

That are principles of studies in aircombat such as ACEVAL.. please read up on them before coming up with the usual pseudo air combat ideals like Kopp..

Oh so do tell what advantage does non TVC planes have in the 5v5s that TVC planes don't?
No one claims that TVC can help dodge any missile or that it will be used in literally every phase of the flight or that it can negate everything.
TVC is only 1 aspect of the plane, its the complete plane that we brag about.
If you really wanna go there then the MKI again has quite an advantage with 2 radars more than enough for off-boresight detection and 1 IRST probe for passive detection, 12-14 hardpoints thus can carry more armaments, data linking with other MKIs, et cetra.
But that's a whole another thing.

When you are considering ACEVAL or AIMVAL the very implication of a TVC is to be considered lest what's the purpose of reading a paper on air-combat maneuvering when you are judging a pure vectoring fighter or a supermaneuverable TVC fighter by evaluations done on conventional fighters?

And please what is with you continuously attacking Kopp? I am not even basing my statements on any of his claims.
His resume itself will be enough to frighten both of ours combined so his words do carry weight regardless of your prejudices.

.. how is that TVC effective ?

So this basically translates to the fact that modern aerial warfare won't exactly involve too much dog-fighting(or it could depends on the parameters) however when it does the TVC plane will have an edge most of the time.

All you have posted is copy paste logic instead of countering the statements.

Sirji you too have posted your arguments based on copy pasted knowledge,of course you'll find a difference between the question and answer if you are willing to put a double standard on ur arguments and not do the same for my rebuttals.

I don't see why some people will incessantly try to show that the TVC is of no use when almost all the powerful AF's(Your beloved PLAAF included) are continuously opting for it, when 6th gen fighters are based completely on TVC and when there is underlying proof of how well it has performed and is performing.

@Oscar, so your mean is TVC have no advantage but holds disadvantage. well i wonder Russian air force pilots and their engineer don't get your simple logic?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

So---okay TVC is a game changer----the aircraft can do wonders---but what about the fool who is flying it---what would happen to him---actually his body and .

There is a limit to stupidity of an argument---when there is a talk of TVC then it has to be stated AT WHAT SPEED would thrust vectoring happen---200 knots or at 600 knots.

Speed and the G forces are the most relative item in this argument / discussion of TVC---and none of you super geniuses have brought that out---.

Let us see how much you people know about it---.

That exactly is what I was asking.

I wonder if they ever looked into the F-15 STOL/MTD prototype, and ever wonder why the Americans never mass produced them, or modify all existing F-15s if it is that good.
McDonnell Douglas F-15 STOL/MTD - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I also happen to watch an interesting documentary once. It was about dog-fighting between USAF F-15Es and Luftwaffe MiG-29s. Results did suggest that the MiG-29 is better in certain respects. One of them is maneuverability.

Now given that those Russian jets are undoubtedly superior than American ones in that category, why go further? Is there any need? It's overkill if you ask me.

In fact, American engineers and designers nowadays don't put too much emphasis on things like maneuverability, speed, fancy moves and the like.

The cobra maneuver is a good tactic. But use it at the wrong time, they are dead meat.

And here we are talking about the world's largest fighter. And oh, it's a two-seater...

That exactly is what I was asking.

I wonder if they ever looked into the F-15 STOL/MTD prototype, and ever wonder why the Americans never mass produced them, or modify all existing F-15s if it is that good.
McDonnell Douglas F-15 STOL/MTD - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I also happen to watch an interesting documentary once. It was about dog-fighting between USAF F-15Es and Luftwaffe MiG-29s. Results did suggest that the MiG-29 is better in certain respects. One of them is maneuverability.

Now given that those Russian jets are undoubtedly superior than American ones in that category, why go further? Is there any need? It's overkill if you ask me.

In fact, American engineers and designers nowadays don't put too much emphasis on things like maneuverability, speed, fancy moves and the like.

The cobra maneuver is a good tactic. But use it at the wrong time, they are dead meat.

And here we are talking about the world's largest fighter. And oh, it's a two-seater...

What TVC does is that it helps an aircraft in performing maneuvers which are otherwise not possible, in fact there are very few 4th gen ac which have this capability even the F-15 u mentioned doesn't have the same, thus to overcome this negative in American jets US developed F-22 which has 2D-TVC capability & F-35 is it's watered down version b'coz it doesn't have a TVC capability as well as super-cruise capability as of now. Plus even Dassault is in process of developing a thrust vectoring variant of the Snecma M88 engine designated as M88-3D, i don't know if it is developed or not till now.

Now u can see if it was of no use than why the Americans & French are developing a TVC capability on there jets.

@Oscar, so your mean is TVC have no advantage but holds disadvantage. well i wonder Russian air force pilots and their engineer don't get your simple logic?

It is worth remembering that the Russian aeronautical industry is foremost in the business of selling aircraft internationally, as the domestic market has all but died. While the Russian developments trace their lineage back to the Soviets, this isn't the Red Air force of old. The Americans and increasingly the Chinese developments in the military realm are meant to create tactical advantages and mismatches. Aircraft they develop are envisioned to protect strategic assets and project power as opposed to eye candy for elected officials. And while the Soviets were of the same ilk, modern Russian military industry has far more in common with the French and British, in that they look for advantages that would propel their offering above their competitors in the export market. Much like car manufacturers offer bells and whistles that serve little practical purpose, for no other reason than to provide more options than their counterparts, Sukhois and Migs have been repeatedly updated with features that providing incrementally smaller advantages.

TVC is the poster child of the Russian sales pitch. In the end, they can't compete in the realm of electronics, can't match the ease of maintenance, or the man-machine interface, so why would any nation buy their aircraft? Why, super maneuverability, of course. TVC may have advantages, but it is worth noting that the f-15s, f-16s, and f-18s were all tested with TVC engines and not one production aircraft was ever seen with it. Neither were the yf-23, x-32, or x-35 developed with TVC in mind; it tells one all he/she wants to know about the American opinion of thrust vectoring. The f-22 may have TVC, but were it developed today, there is a great chance the feature would have been eliminated for the simple reason: you can't out turn a 45-60g high off boresight missile.

Much like Dassault marketed the Spectre system as the second coming of Christ, himself; Sukhoi too will continue to sell every new development as a game changer, as their survival depends on it. The MKI is a great aircraft with some genuine advantages, but using TVC as one, sells it short.

Typhoon has no thrust vectoring,and still one of the best out there...

Typhoon has no thrust vectoring,and still one of the best out there...

Thrust Vectoring Control allows the
nozzle on the engine to be deflected
to enhance the agility of the fighter.
With 3D TVC the nozzles are able to
move up, down, left and right or a
combination e.g. up and left.
No partner nation has expressed an
interested in having TVC. Eurojet, the
consortium of companies that
produces the engines for Typhoon, is
hoping to attract support for TVC by
concentrating on the benefits
provided above the enhanced agility.
Eurojet has said TVC would decrease
fuel burn, increase the life of hot
running components and reduce take
off distance (particularly useful in
‘hot and high’ environments).
Eurofighter Typhoon Guide « Articles « Fast Air Photography

:what:
It is Typhoon's 3D TVC which allows for the super maneuverability of the aircraft!

No sir,i seen typhoons up close many times..no evidence of TVC was found...

Here is ej-200 clicked by me myself.....

7577008220_b8652a8d78_h.jpg

7577006978_670c6497e6_b.jpg

Gentlemen,

You simply don't reply to Storm Force's repeated troll posts.

It is worth remembering that the Russian aeronautical industry is foremost in the business of selling aircraft internationally, as the domestic market has all but died. While the Russian developments trace their lineage back to the Soviets, this isn't the Red Air force of old. The Americans and increasingly the Chinese developments in the military realm are meant to create tactical advantages and mismatches. Aircraft they develop are envisioned to protect strategic assets and project power as opposed to eye candy for elected officials. And while the Soviets were of the same ilk, modern Russian military industry has far more in common with the French and British, in that they look for advantages that would propel their offering above their competitors in the export market. Much like car manufacturers offer bells and whistles that serve little practical purpose, for no other reason than to provide more options than their counterparts, Sukhois and Migs have been repeatedly updated with features that providing incrementally smaller advantages.

TVC is the poster child of the Russian sales pitch. In the end, they can't compete in the realm of electronics, can't match the ease of maintenance, or the man-machine interface, so why would any nation buy their aircraft? Why, super maneuverability, of course. TVC may have advantages, but it is worth noting that the f-15s, f-16s, and f-18s were all tested with TVC engines and not one production aircraft was ever seen with it. Neither were the yf-23, x-32, or x-35 developed with TVC in mind; it tells one all he/she wants to know about the American opinion of thrust vectoring. The f-22 may have TVC, but were it developed today, there is a great chance the feature would have been eliminated for the simple reason: you can't out turn a 45-60g high off boresight missile.

Much like Dassault marketed the Spectre system as the second coming of Christ, himself; Sukhoi too will continue to sell every new development as a game changer, as their survival depends on it. The MKI is a great aircraft with some genuine advantages, but using TVC as one, sells it short.

I wouldn't say died maybe slowed down and not on par with USAF like in the olden days yet still hanging on, plus lets not forget that they are still the second largest airforce around and a decent economy to boot.

Sometimes the little changes may seem insignificant but as they say "Many small make a great".

And let us not forget that SU-30MKI is not completely Russian(Indian,French & Israeli) though most of it is.

Air combat maneuvering out of the TVC may have birthed skeptics but let's also take into account that TVC is a system that is more than just Pugachev's Cobras and out maneuvering your opponent.
http://www.nasa.gov/centers/dryden/pdf/88686main_H-2402.pdf
http://ftp.rta.nato.int/public//PubFullText/RTO/MP/RTO-MP-051///MP-051-PSF-11.pdf

Besides its not like it'll be just the MKI's against the "opponent airforce", there'll be a barrage of Migs, Mirages, Rafales, Tejass, Phalcons, SIGNT/COMINT planes all doing specific tasks to achieve the desired objectives.

Of course you can't outrun a HOBS missile but what you can do is have a better radar and jamming abilities, have passive detection, have data linking features, have multiple types of missiles(IR,radar, electro-optical, long range cruise missiles and AtGMs) and gang up on your target/s with multiple MKIs.
And maybe just maybe chaffs, flares and a little more air-combat maneuvering may actually fool the missile.

I may seem a little bit too optimistic but hey that's what my signature says.

"HOPE FOR THE BEST,
PREPARE FOR THE WORST"

This thread has gone way past it's shelf life, apart from the usual stick measuring, there's nothing worth discussing.

Just like to add, during one of the Red Flag exercise, couple of RAF Jaguars stunned US F-15 Eagles....all due to the element of surprise.
As for India/Pakistan scenario, obviously all the capabilities are not revealed by both sides and Oscar will probably crucify me for disclosing this.....as far as back in 2007, PAF modified one of it's aircraft to such effect that they conducted a five minute flight over DMZ....and the Indians remained totally oblivious to it's presence. !! MKI is indeed a superb fighter but it certainly is not cause of any headache to PAF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom