What's new

how much of Urdu is Sanskrit based and persian based?

I would say that the common Muslim convert of say 4 centuries years ago continued to use his native Sanskritic vocabulary. The profuse infusion of foreign vocabulary was largely limited to the aristocratic class and their hangers-on.

The fact of the matter is that Urdu can be, and in practice is very individual. Each individual, that is, defines his own version, as he/she speaks. When I speak to a Bihari, my Hindi takes on cadences and accents which are relaxed and flowing, and largely Sanskritic but with convenient words in Urdu included, with which both of us are perfectly comfortable. I am sometimes (not always) able to spot somebody from Siwan district, as a Muslim, from the mix he uses, the subtly greater portion of Persian words that he uses. In Lucknow, I am spotted as a gauche Bengali the moment I open my mouth and they hear my vowel sounds, forget about my vocabulary, which is there a source of mild mirth, though so eminently acceptable a few degrees further east. Further on, in Saharanpur, which I have been visiting these past few weeks, it is neither vowel nor vocabulary: those accursed people speak at 78 rpm (think of a Malayali speaking Malayalam, or Tamil, or Hindi, or English) and it is difficult to understand what has just been said. It doesn't help that the place is close to the meeting point of four states, UP, Uttarakhand, Haryana and HP, and traces of regional accent keep swirling around. By and large, it is the huge influence of Haryanvi/Rajasthani that scuppers us bhaiyas from the far east.

This is the place where one is forcefully made aware of the divide starting in Prakrit times a few centuries before Christ, more than a millennium before Islam, when Ardhamagadhi dominated the east, and the whole Gangetic plain, and Sauraseni was seen by Indian language teachers (wrongly) as a dialect of that.

Punjab was creating its own language and vocabulary even further removed than this split, based on Sauraseni, and first distinctly heard through Baba Farid in the 11th century; even in historical memory, Punjabi has been splitting into its locational dialects, and Hindko, Potohari or Potwari and Saraiki are today known as distinct languages, that were once considered dialects. I suspect that a similar process is taking place in the east, and Bengali is dividing into two, as the usages of our Bangladeshi linguistic kin become more and more settled at the popular level; it is only a matter of time before their spoken version finds its way into literary forms and supplants 'standard' Bengali.

But Urdu is still the language of convenience in north India and it is quite clear that only a handful of pedants and pundits will speak 'pure' unsullied Hindi replete with tatsam words, which come out sounding like the lady from the TV skit shown earlier in this thread. I say that Urdu is the language of convenience because every one who says 'intezar' instead of 'apeksha' has slipped off the tight and narrow path that is 'pure' Hindi, and is speaking Urdu, even if it is an Urdu with a vocabulary of one non-tatsam word. It is possible to use this very convenient vehicle because of its grammatical structure being one that people from Assam to the Punjab, and from Hyderabad to Kashmir, can comprehend and use in daily use.

As for the original question, how much Sanskrit and how much Persian, there are theoretically more than a billion answers to that question, considering that each individual effectively defines his or her own Urdu. Every day, every time he or she opens his or her mouth.

It is a BIG FALLACY to think of Urdu as the language of the Muslim invaders of the Sub Continent! I admit that I am beginning to forget the 'history of Urdu language' as taught to me in Karachi but I can vaguely remember (not going to Google) that Urdu evolved as way for the disparate groups of people in the Mughal army to communicate with each other. I am too ignorant to claim anything more than that!

My personal--very personal opinion-- opinion after interacting with Indians (in both India and north America), with the hub of Urdu in Pakistan (Karachi) is that Urdu is distinct language more beautiful than Hindi or Sanskrit even if heavily derived from both. The so-called influence of Indian movies is not new--there was a time in early Pakistan when even the television barely existed and so the Indian movies were powerful and dominant. But that did not let significant 'soft Indian power' to infiltrate Pakistanis.

Now, having said all that. I have to say that I find Sanskrit--especially the religious hymns--to be beautiful along the line of Latin, or Persian. The way the modern Indians speak 'Hindu' is grating to my earns. That is the 'SaDak Chap' (street talk) version of Urdu as we know in Karachi.

Again, another very effective summary. Much appreciated.

:) Was just playing around because of the timeline mentioned by you. You are correct, the Ikshwakus were a prominent tribe during the Rg vedic period. However, as you mentioned they were the "Solar race", the Rg veda concerns itself with the "Lunar race" of the Ailas (Yadus, Turvasas, Druhyus, Anus and Purus) and does not concern itself with the second most important dynasty of the Rg veda, the Ikshwakus. The word is mentioned once in the Rg veda but only while referring to the sun. A tribe of the Ikshwakus, the Trksis is mentioned twice more but that too only because of help rendered to the Purus. It is only the Ailas & more specifically the Purus that the Rg veda is concerned with.

You are a wicked little bunny rabbit, teasing earnest young seekers after the truth in this way, and deserve a buckshot volley into what Wodehouse delicately refers to as the fleshy part of the leg.

You are a wicked little bunny rabbit, teasing earnest young seekers after the truth in this way, and deserve a buckshot volley into what Wodehouse delicately refers to as the fleshy part of the leg.

"Be like the ant which seizes only the sugar, and leaves the sand untouched." - Kabir (and others)

Muddled contradictions may abound in the words of the "wise", but we rapidly sift through, correlate, and take that which is Graahya.

Below lines are reply of North-east Indian to a pakistani blog which worries of using hindi words in Urdu. I like these lines very much hence sharing them.

it seems pakistan is disturbed with the popularity of hindi language in pakistan. on the otherhand india has no issues with urdu.. maybe that urdu is indian languages (1 out of 22).. let me put some facts about indians perspective of thinking. take myself
a) i am from assam, northeast of india. my mother tongue is bengali so i know bangla, my state language is assamese so i know assamese, my country language is hindi so i know hindi i studied in english school so i know english beside on my south is mizoram so i knew mizo, north meghalaya so khasi , towards east manipur so manipuri besides my college life was in south so kannada.. it means any indian citezen irrespective of religions, regions, caste, creed knows more than 5 to 8 languages yet no body has any problem.
b) now come to people my 20% friends are muslims rests are of nepali, naga, manipuri, christians lefts aside the hindus, my teachers are punjabi my business partners are north indians my locality is christians, my maternal family is from buddhist background and believe me from my birth there were no clash or tension on our place.. this may be the true secular, democracy of india,where no community has any problem with other community and will not survive without them.
lastly regarding pakistan, no indians pay any heed on any matter of yours. no body is concerned of pakistan.. indians are concerned only on terrorism issue with pakistan . dont love india, do hate india but please dont harm india.. let u progress all around .. let your light shine and b a calm state…

Oh man now linking language to religion. So East Pakistanis were bad Muslims because their language had a heavy Sanskrit influence?
Unfortuntely due to cable tv, today's Pakistanis have drifted away from Urdu and true Islam.

Persian and Arabic words have been replaced with hindi.

e.g. we used to say 'Ibtida' today children says 'shoroat' there are numerous such examples.

Today, we can conveniently say that Pakistan's national language is Hindi and not Urdu any more.

The most common Hindi word for moon is Chand.
A slightly less used word is chandrama
I have learned all three words as well. But what do people commonly use?

Chand Suraj

Farsi Hindi

And when you look at the Indians, they use these words as well.

I have no idea how the hell you say moon in Hindi.

I think both are talking Hindi. The lady is talking a little more formal Hindi. In fact too formal to bring out a contrast and hence comedy.

Anyways guys, apart from vocabulary and script there is no difference between the languages.
And its good for language to pick up words from other languages. There are plenty in English.

To be honest man, I have no idea what the hell Indians are saying when they speak Hindi.

Look at this clip from this Pakistan drama:

I have no idea wtf either of them are saying. I understand maybe 10-20 percent.

Chand is a Persian word.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pleasantly surprised so many Pakistanis call Sanskrit their language. If that is technically correct, then Urdu took birth in what still remains now as India and hence what a pleasant irony.
I wonder why some Pakistanis then took offence to Aman ki Asha. I mean, there are many who were offended by the word Asha, which is a Sankrit and Hindi word.
Indians will never take offense in the use of Urdu words because they think of Hindi and Urdu as sister languages.

Man we have such rich shared culture/sanskriti/tehzeeb.
Sanskrit and Avestan are the two major ancient tounges of Pakistan. Sanskrit dominated North India and East Pakistan, hence Punjabi, Urdu, Kashmiri, Hindi, Gujarati all have their roots in Sanskrit. NOTE "roots". Languages evolve and become different from each other, hence the inability of a Urdu speaker to understand Gujarati, Marathi and "pure" hindi.
Avestan was also a major language of Pakistan, its modern descendent being Pashto.

Regarding the promotion of Urdu over Farsi, it is quite simple really. By banning/discouraging Farsi, the British essentially secured the fact that the people of the Pakistan region looked towards India for education, trade, inspiration and so forth. Knowing Farsi would have meant that the people of the Pakistan region would be able to maintin close relations with the erstwhile independent nations of Afghanistan and Persia. This might instill within the people in the Pakistan region a desire for their own independent nation, hence the best way to avoid this was to "Indianize" the people in this region. What better way than to cut of the linguistic links of the people of this region with thier western neighbours and join them with their eastern neighbours.

are bhai homo sapiens have evolved from africa. so what's the difference. If you keep tracing back you will end up in africa.

central asia is not mentioned because rig vedas was written in northern pakistan, but aryans themselves originiated in central asia, every one knows this

You are right. Both Suraj and Surya are Hindi words, Surya is a much more formal usage.
Shashi is a synonymn for moon and one can find this only in dictionaries. Except for may be some Maithli sharan Gupta poem, no one has ever used shashi for moon here.
We say Chand. And in some formal occasions, Chandrama.
As in the song " Aadha hai Chandrama raat aadhi. Reh na jaaye teri meri baat aadhi".
Now don't get started on whether aadha, raat and baat are Hindi or Urdu.
90 % Hindi and Urdu are same.
Again Suraj is fine Urdu - Sanskritized Hindi would be Surya or Moon would be Shashi.

They both Hindi and Urdu because there is no difference.
Can you tell me this is Hindi or Urdu?
"Baag ujad gaye khilne se pehle, panchi bichhad gaye milne se pehle"?
Are agar Urdu aur Hindi do languages hote, to dono India aur Pakistan bollywood na dekh rahe hote.
Indian songs are pure urdu songs- except some bazaro item songs which can be classified as hindi-

Urdu is a shaista zuban- hindi is abay- tere to- tere ma k- band baja di- fato- kuch tofani kertay hein bla and vulgar gangster sh!t-

not just urdu many languages including english are born from these ancient languages persian,sanskrit,greek etc..so some words might be similar..as for urdu..it was also born in india so similarities are great between the two

Not sure if this has already happened but I think Pakistani Urdu needs to be formalized and refined and Universities in Pakistan can help lead the way. Also Urdu language should be promoted. Already in UK they're Urdu language courses in secondary schools.

One BIG difference between Urdu and Farsi - You can't use Urdu words for "Cucumber" & "Rice-Pudding" in decent Farsi debate, And Farsi word for "Pipe" in decent Urdu/Punjabi debate.

I find English to be a more technical and applicable language, English has words that are so specific in their definition that Urdu simply doesn't have. Then again English has been rapidly growing for the past decades Urdu has not. Can you teach Microbiology, Astrophysics, or Immunology in full Urdu without borrowing words from English? I am not sure about that.

Look at what the Turkish language does, they will borrow a word from English and they will convert/reformat it to a Turkish-like word.

Example English word "distributor" in Turkish is distribütör, or look at the English word "technique" in Turkish it is "teknik". Pakistani speakers will just take the raw English word and incorporate that into their speech and mix it in with Urdu.

I find English to be a more technical and applicable language, English has words that are so specific in their definition that Urdu simply doesn't have. Then again English has been rapidly growing for the past decades Urdu has not. Can you teach Microbiology, Astrophysics, or Immunology in full Urdu without borrowing words from English? I am not sure about that.

Look at what the Turkish language does, they will borrow a word from English and they will convert/reformat it to a Turkish-like word.

Example English word "distributor" in Turkish is distribütör, or look at the English word "technique" in Turkish it is "teknik". Pakistani speakers will just take the raw English word and incorporate that into their speech and mix it in with Urdu.

Scientific words were invented/derived. New additions for science can be made when new discoveries are made by Urdu speaking scientists.

Back
Top Bottom