What's new

How is life under economic crisis?

Paitoo

Reaction score
Country
India
Questions to Pakistanis living in Pakistan -
  1. Do you see any serious impact of the economic crisis in your day to day lives? Have you had to make adjustments in the way you live?
  2. Is the crisis affecting the poor more than the middle class?
  3. Is there uncertainty over your means of employment?
  4. Is the situation worse in some regions compared to others?
This is not an attempt to troll or be mean. I am genuinely trying to understand what life feels like in a country which is facing a payment default and forex crisis. I had similar questions during the Lankan crisis but didn't know who to ask as I can't see any active Lankan members. The only time India faced a BoP crisis was during Manmohan Singh's time as finance minister in 1991. I was in school and didn't care or understand much, let alone feel how it impacted anything in our lives.

1. Do you see any serious impact of the economic crisis in your day to day lives? Have you had to make adjustments in the way you live?
This is not an attempt to troll or be mean. I am genuinely trying to understand what life feels like in a country which is facing a payment default and forex crisis. I had similar questions during the Lankan crisis but didn't know who to ask as I can't see any active Lankan members. The only time India faced a BoP crisis was during Manmohan Singh's time as finance minister in 1991. I was in school and didn't care or understand much, let alone feel how it impacted anything in our lives.
Did you ask your parents about 1991?

Last edited:
If you want fuller coverage than anecdotal examples, you should read many English language newspapers or watch TV channels that are on internet. You may even understand the language unlike me! Talking of which, I am curious if there are any English language TV news channels.

If you want fuller coverage than anecdotal examples, you should read many English language newspapers or watch TV channels that are on internet. You may even understand the language unlike me! Talking of which, I am curious if there are any English language TV news channels.
Questions to Pakistanis living in Pakistan

First response an Indian living in India

Second response an Indian living in US
facepalm-really.gif

Damn....
What's wrong with this forum?

India will be in similar situation after around 1 year.

Did you ask your parents about 1991?
Nope. By the time I had grown up enough to care about specific economics issues, I didn't care about something that happened in 1991.

If you want fuller coverage than anecdotal examples, you should read many English language newspapers or watch TV channels that are on internet. You may even understand the language unlike me!
I am actually looking for anecdotes. News reports are not very helpful, besides it would require reading through a lot of motivated articles.

This January- dec I visited Pakistan for a month proper went to malls like 3 times and I swear on everything dear to me

It was filled to the BRIM, I could literally smell everyone's weird mix of sweat and perfume, especially the last time on Friday night, went to local KFC same thing - took me 15-20 minutes to just order my food, same with most famous local restaurants

I took the Metro on I think Tuesday evening 6 ish and station was filled just like the Friday night mall
Mostly regular people but I could definitely see women, men dressed up with makeup and all, going out and about for leisurely activities

Same thing with an amusement park I went to on a workday - filled to the brim

For the bowling alley, it took us 20-30 minutes to get our space, housing societies every f-ing where

But That's on an individual level , I think we have to pay 1.2 $ billion luxury car import bill too Afaik

in the same country a LOT of people are really struggling with inflation, especially after the floods most of our country is struggling, atleast 2-3 beggars on every stop, children selling stuff to feed their family

There's a huge economic divide and no it's not elites, elites alone can't fill out entire Malls, amusement Parks, restaurants etc"

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/authenticity-of-pakistans-economic-crises.759329/

Post #4

Nope. By the time I had grown up enough to care about specific economics issues, I didn't care about something that happened in 1991.
I thought as a student of economics (or at least as an interested follower) you would be interested in 1991 for case study.

This question should be asked next week. Considering no real progress has been made in discussions, the oil situation might take a hit next week. That's when the imact should be assessed.

I thought as a student of economics (or at least as an interested follower) you would be interested in 1991 for case study.

In 1991 India didn't really default. We had to sell our gold but we secured the bailout. Here the issue is not the crisis but the real possibility of default.

Pakistani public is set, no collapse on that front.

The Pakistani government is in danger of being default. But it seems increasingly likely they will be bailed out by IMF but the conditions would be tough, for their own good.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom