What's new

How is Eid celebrated in West Bengal, India?

Why the different names? Shouldn't they i.e. the three main figureheads of Hinduism Shiva, Vishnu and Brahma be called just that. Do the Bengalis worship different avatars of these main central deities?

Thanks for the information.

Basically u see nobody worships brahma..he is acknowledged but not really worshipped.
The 3 main sects of hinduism are vaishnavite sect( considers vishnu supreme among trinity),Shaivite sect(considers shiva supreme) and shakti sect(evolution of mother goddess concept).
As for regional variations..in india due to ethnic and linguistic diversity every region or village may have a different god or goddess..with various names essentially representing fertility,rainfall,prosperity etc etc so to keep them within the major fold of hinduism..usually all female mother goddesses are equated with shakti/parvati.
The male gods are usually not as varied..vishnu and shiva are worshipped more or less in true form.
Kali is very popular in eastern india and nepal.Ganesha is very popular in western india -maharashtra,gujarat especially amongst businessmen.

More or less shiva,vishnu,ganesha,and variations of shakti/parvati(kali being one) are main dieties worshipped on a large scale.Except these saraswati ( goddess of learning) is popular in schools and vishwkarma(among artisans and engineers).Laxmi ( goddess of wealth)is another minor important diety.Laxmi and saraswati are the 2 female dieties not equated with parvati/shakti.

Oh forgot hanuman(representing strength).He's popular in western india rajasthan,haryana.Especially popular amonst wrestlers,bodybuilders..called bajrang bali by them.He's not so popular in east.

The original old rig vedic gods agni,indra,vayu these are no longer of any importance..except in the scriptures and stories/epics.

Well i'm not an expert but thats a general summary.

Basically u see nobody worships brahma..he is acknowledged but not really worshipped.
The 3 main sects of hinduism are vaishnavite sect( considers vishnu supreme among trinity),Shaivite sect(considers shiva supreme) and shakti sect(evolution of mother goddess concept).
As for regional variations..in india due to ethnic and linguistic diversity every region or village may have a different god or goddess..with various names essentially representing fertility,rainfall,prosperity etc etc so to keep them within the major fold of hinduism..usually all female mother goddesses are equated with shakti/parvati.
The male gods are usually not as varied..vishnu and shiva are worshipped more or less in true form.
Kali is very popular in eastern india and nepal.Ganesha is very popular in western india -maharashtra,gujarat especially amongst businessmen.

More or less shiva,vishnu,ganesha,and variations of shakti/parvati(kali being one) are main dieties worshipped on a large scale.Except these saraswati ( goddess of learning) is popular in schools and vishwkarma(among artisans and engineers).Laxmi ( goddess of wealth)is another minor important diety.Laxmi and saraswati are the 2 female dieties not equated with parvati/shakti.

Oh forgot hanuman(representing strength).He's popular in western india rajasthan,haryana.Especially popular amonst wrestlers,bodybuilders..called bajrang bali by them.He's not so popular in east.

The original old rig vedic gods agni,indra,vayu these are no longer of any importance..except in the scriptures and stories/epics.

Well i'm not an expert but thats a general summary.
like Krishna is believed to be a avatar of Vishnu (?), is laxman also an avatar of Krishna ?

Do West Bengalis celebrate Eid together? I am curious to know. I haven't seen any news about it in Indian Bangla channels. Its India related. That's why its part of Indian defense. Any West Bengali hearing me?

The prayers are separate, of course, but some very close friends and many, very many politicians hang around to greet the congregation after the prayers.

And lots and lots of food. Mainly biryani........

ya changed it.. my mythology is as good as your general intelligence.. :cheesy:

you-jelly.jpg

In Bangladesh 10% are Hindus but in West Bengal 30% are Muslims

In India, Muslims are not evenly spread. They live in pockets in different states. I think in WB also wherever they are located it will be mostly densely Muslim areas and shouldn't have any issues.

laxman is considered avatar of shiva. come on you cant have avatar of a avatar... :haha:
edit: seems i was wrong, he was avatar of shesha, the serpent.
I meant like both Krishna & laxman are avatars of vishnu
thanks for the answer ,

like Krishna is believed to be a avatar of Vishnu (?), is laxman also an avatar of Krishna ?

No krishna is the eigth avatar of vishnu,buddha is considered 9th...kalki avatar who is considered to come at the end of the current age of man is the final tenth avatar.
No Rama is avatar of vishnu..krishna doesn't have avatars ..he himself is avatar.

Back
Top Bottom